PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer readings & calculations

Libertytree
18th November 2013, 01:39 PM
I thought I'd make a thread of its own on the topic for future use by all instead of buried inside my other thread. This is also a question to BT to double check and correct me, thanks Guru dude.

My starting gravity reading was 1.040, I took my 1st sample from the fermenter after 7 days, I have a final gravity reading of 1.002. As I understand it, this would normally not be a good thing but there's a mitigating factor that has to be considered, temperature. Living in S Fl and not having temp controls during fermentation, adjustments on the hydrometer readings have to be adjusted to 60 degrees, a table I found makes the calculation adjustment for ya.

http://byo.com/recipes-tag/item/694-getting-the-most-from-your-hydrometer

My temps are approx 85-86, accordingly I need to add 0.004 to my final gravity reading in order to see if it's ready to bottle or to further ferment. My new adjusted reading is 1.006, it's a good number and even going to a 1.005 is good as well. I want to bottle on Wed, so this works great for me and it's still producing a good lick of bubbles.

Now I want to check my alc %, this is my cherry on this little task :) I found this to help me out. I hope I'm right and if not I know BT will steer me in the right direction.

ABV% Calculator
(OG - FG) x 131.25 = ABV%
(___* - ___**) x 131.25 = ___%

1.040-1.006 = 0.034 X 131.25 = 4.46225

milehi
18th November 2013, 04:38 PM
A mistake I made was not zeroing my hydrometer in water to check for accuracy. Once I did I found the hydrometer off and exchanged it.

BrewTech
18th November 2013, 06:51 PM
A mistake I made was not zeroing my hydrometer in water to check for accuracy. Once I did I found the hydrometer off and exchanged it.Most hydrometers are calibrated to read 1.000 in distilled water at 60F.

Most online calculators will allow for the actual temperature of the wort to be entered, and will automatically correct for the variation.

LT - you'll know if fermentation is complete if you have a stable gravity reading for 3 days in a row. Bubbles in the airlock may just be the CO2 in solution gassing off.

Libertytree
18th November 2013, 07:01 PM
Most hydrometers are calibrated to read 1.000 in distilled water at 60F.

Most online calculators will allow for the actual temperature of the wort to be entered, and will automatically correct for the variation.

LT - you'll know if fermentation is complete if you have a stable gravity reading for 3 days in a row. Bubbles in the airlock may just be the CO2 in solution gassing off.

I don't use an airlock. Dude, I just cook it up and throw into the garbage can, all this fancy hydrometer stuff is a plus and very useful and I love it but not using an airlock has never been an issue. Then again, I was told by a few people, I could not brew drinkable beer under these circumstances.

I will take another reading tomorrow and see if there's any difference but in theory it's right where it should be. Unless I'm missing something?

BrewTech
18th November 2013, 07:51 PM
I don't use an airlock. Dude, I just cook it up and throw into the garbage can, all this fancy hydrometer stuff is a plus and very useful and I love it but not using an airlock has never been an issue. Then again, I was told by a few people, I could not brew drinkable beer under these circumstances.

I will take another reading tomorrow and see if there's any difference but in theory it's right where it should be. Unless I'm missing something?

Well, yeah, I wouldn't expect a beer like that to get much dryer...1.006 is where you might find a fully-fermented saison to finish at... of course they ferment at uncontrolled temperatures much like your own.

As far as being able to brew "drinkable" beer with your setup... well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? :D

I've never seen a solid definition for "drinkable". If you like it, then you're doing it right.

milehi
18th November 2013, 09:18 PM
Nothin better than catching a buzz on your own hooch.

Glass
15th January 2014, 10:44 PM
so with an OG of 1.036 and and FG og 1.010 on KoB #2 we are looking at an ABV of ~3.45%. Really? oh well. Mid strength beer then.

Libertytree
16th January 2014, 08:35 AM
Yeah, at least according to this.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/