PDA

View Full Version : Kindle whitepaper

Hitch
26th December 2013, 08:11 PM
So..my parents got me a kindle whitepaper for Christmas this year.

If you like to read books, this thing is an amazing little machine. All it took was reading a book for a few minutes for me to embrace and adapt to how it takes reading books to a whole new level. I realized, as much as I like reading, I have to put paper books down after some time, for some reason.

I can't put this thing down. It's so easy on the eyes and so easy to use, you get completely focused on what you are reading. I never would have thought it...

I told my parents this was a great gift to give, because I never would have bought one for myself. The best gifts are the ones you wouldn't have bought, yet get so much enjoyment from.

Dogman
26th December 2013, 08:13 PM
Sure it is not called a 'Paper White" ?

Hitch
26th December 2013, 08:20 PM
Sure it is not called a 'Paper White" ?

Damnit. Yup, it's the paper white. Sorry folks. Great little device it is!

Dogman
26th December 2013, 08:23 PM
Damnit. Yup, it's the paper white. Sorry folks. Great little device it is! Yes it is! And has a very nice battery life between charges.

Enjoy!

Here is a forum you may like to join.

Everything about e-readers and more!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/index.php

Ponce
26th December 2013, 09:55 PM
My own Kindler is the regular one that I bought for $79.00...........I only use it for downloading free books and that's it, at this time I have around 236 book saved up...............If I don't like the first 10 or 15 pages of a book I simply erase it and start on a new one... love it.

V

madfranks
26th December 2013, 11:02 PM
My wife and I have been kindle readers for about two years now. For us the best part is buying and downloading the books instantly, from the comfort of home. Plus, like Ponce, my kindle is a trove of ebooks I've downloaded from all over the web. There are so many free books it's insane!

if you like economics, mises.org as lots of free ebooks.

Half Sense
27th December 2013, 06:39 AM
They are very useful, especially since you can save web pages as PDFs and create your own library in areas of interest.

The thing that sucks is that everything you do, every document you load, every page turn, every time you touch the thing, it creates a log entry which is sent to Amazon and owned by them.

Dogman
27th December 2013, 06:58 AM
Some that fear of amazon snooping never turn the wifi on and side load their books. If the unit can not talk it can not tell. Some have rooted their devices and then stripped all things amazon out. And then loaded a different non walled garden non amazon op system. Then load a different reader that can read mobi books plus other book formats.

The biggest thing about amazon e-readers is they try and lock you into the amazon "Walled garden" content.

That is where side loading comes into play or unlocking/rooting/flashing a different kernel. Thinking of doing that to my kindle fire hd and turn it into a pure android device. But I already have two nexus 7's the original and the new 2013 which is a vast improvement over the original. And they are pure android, comes with the play store loaded and no walled gardens to contend with but with the amazon reader/store apps running which is the best of both worlds, so the kindle fire will probably stay stock.