PDA

View Full Version : Kit O' Beer #2 - Canadian Blonde

Glass
3rd January 2014, 04:10 PM
Ok so brew #2 is underway. This one is a Coopers Canadian Blonde. Its from the "International" range of cans and as we all know, the best canadians are blonde. I changed out the regular Coopers fermentable ingredients for some alternatives the LHBS gave me.

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde extract
1 kg Beer Essentials #15 Brew Booster
100g approx additional dextrose
1 pkt Safale s-04 yeast - 11gms

Changes:
#15 Brew Booster instead of Coopers Enhancer #1
110g additional dextrose - trying to boost OG a bit
1pk Safale s-04 11gms instead of the included Coopers brewing yeast 7gms

OG 1.036

Brew temp: 26C - ambient
Pitch temp: 29C - wort
Current temp: 22C - wort

Notes:
I thought the OG was a bit low at 1.035. I dissolved some more dextrose in hot water and added. After about 5 minutes I think it showed maybe 1 point difference.

I wanted to try using 700gm of dextrose and 500gm of light malt. This is what the CraigTube guy and a few others are doing. The LHBS was out of straight dextrose so sold me the prepacked Booster #15. It is basically the same mix as the Coopers Enhancer #1 so I didn't really get anywhere there.

I ended up buying a packet of dextrose from somewhere just in case it came in low OG. In the beginning I was just going to go ahead and add the extra, then I thought I would add the packet of # 15 and see first. I did this. Then added the ~100gm extra dextrose.

Yeast:
I also asked about a yeast alternative. Why not change 2 things right? I was thinking, nice big cold fridge full of fresh lively yeast compared to the foil pack that is stuck to the top of the can. Who knows how good a condition that is in.

This yeast is still suited for warmer times of the year so not a true true lager yeast but I know what I will be using come winter. I'm looking forward to brewing a few lagers late winter for next summer.

I used 11gms instead of 7gms. Those are packet sizes. I used 1 pack. Don't know if I need to do anything special if using so much yeast or need to expect flavor affects? Its definately working in there. Can smell beer already.

Glass
5th January 2014, 05:54 PM
It occurred to me I don't know what a blonde beer is. An extra pale ale would be a good description. Less hoped than a regular pale ale.

My current favorite beer Little Creatures Bright Ale. Local boutique place that made the big leagues. I like it because it's lighter than their Pale Ale which is an indian pale ale and less hoppy. I can drink more than one of these in a sitting.

Started wondering about this blonde beer. Took a look around and found blonde beer is the basis of the bright ale which seems to be an extra pale ale. So I have the makings of my favourite beer using one of these kits. This may mean I am going to have to expand bottling capacity and a dedicated fridge might be in order.

We are into day 3 and temps have been 28C outside so very mild. Fermenter is a steady 21C. Room ambient 25.5C. Standing in a trough with a wet towel and a fan. Not adding any chill at the moment. I actually just looked at the forecast for today and it's 39C. Hmmm This will be interesting to see what the fermenter temps peak at. I have an early one work wise so I can take the edge off the temps if needed later. Mild temps again until Friday.

BrewTech
5th January 2014, 06:07 PM
Blonde ale is NOT an extra pale. I have both styles on right now. The blonde is (or should be) more like a German Kolsch.

An extra pale ale is between a regular pale ale and an IPA. My extra pale is as hoppy as an IPA, but only 6.1% (as opposed to my 7.6% IPA)

What is the volume of beer you are making? I ask because I feel the need to make a pitch recommendation. Most homebrewers (including myself) tend to underpitch drastically. That will lead to problems. Yeast is cheap. I just pitch 8 gallons of yeast slurry into 8 bbls of a 23.5 Plato beer. That MF fermentented so clean I can't believe it. No fusel alcohols at all. A 10.25% stout drinks like a 5% porter... until it warms up...

Glad to know your first turned out great, Glass, and happy to know your are jumping out of the gate to make another.

Glass
5th January 2014, 06:41 PM
thanks for that info. I was taking a punt there and was reading the description on that brewers software web site. The pale ale and the bright ale from the LC brewer seem very similar to me. I'm keen to try this kit and see if it is in the ball park for tasting like the bright ale. I have a kit recipe based on a blonde to produce a little creatures bright ale clone.

23 Litres is the volume although we ended up at ~25L by the time I added the extra dex.

I pitched 11gms Safale s-04 into this one. The coopers kit comes with 7gms so I figured I am in front.

I was wondering if extra yeast has some downside like cloudiness or taste? I think the fermenter was going ballistic there for the first 2 days. Nice Krousen ring and good aromas. Seems quiet now. Just waiting for end of day 4 and I'll pull a sample of an SG reading.

yes yes been reveling in the taste and enjoyment of DIY beer. Surprised it is so good a result. Needs a bit more carbonation and better head retention. More time in the bottles also would help with this. Would like to see maybe a month or more before drinking any. So that means you need a couple of batches on the go so you can get that time in the bottle.

after this xmas I understand the easy drinker. It's nice to have flavorsome beers but it's also good to have easy drinkers that clean the palate. We found our selves buying a mix of boutique beers and also what I'd call premium or international lager. James Boags is the most popular ATM. From tasmania, so it sells on clean and pristine water etc. I realized that beer is my Budweiser or Millers Draft. When I need a break or am just darn thirsty they go down good. The lager I brewed is the same, bit stronger flavor but not much now it's had a couple of weeks on it. There was also a Boags clone recipe I found. That would be lighter and sweeter.

I've already got a list of brews I want to do. Pilsner is big on my list but I am going to plan carefully for that one. Waiting until winter to brew for drinking next summer. I'm prepared to be patient for that one.

BrewTech
6th January 2014, 07:24 AM
thanks for that info. I was taking a punt there and was reading the description on that brewers software web site. The pale ale and the bright ale from the LC brewer seem very similar to me. I'm keen to try this kit and see if it is in the ball park for tasting like the bright ale. I have a kit recipe based on a blonde to produce a little creatures bright ale clone.

23 Litres is the volume although we ended up at ~25L by the time I added the extra dex.

I pitched 11gms Safale s-04 into this one. The coopers kit comes with 7gms so I figured I am in front.

I was wondering if extra yeast has some downside like cloudiness or taste? I think the fermenter was going ballistic there for the first 2 days. Nice Krousen ring and good aromas. Seems quiet now. Just waiting for end of day 4 and I'll pull a sample of an SG reading.

yes yes been reveling in the taste and enjoyment of DIY beer. Surprised it is so good a result. Needs a bit more carbonation and better head retention. More time in the bottles also would help with this. Would like to see maybe a month or more before drinking any. So that means you need a couple of batches on the go so you can get that time in the bottle.

after this xmas I understand the easy drinker. It's nice to have flavorsome beers but it's also good to have easy drinkers that clean the palate. We found our selves buying a mix of boutique beers and also what I'd call premium or international lager. James Boags is the most popular ATM. From tasmania, so it sells on clean and pristine water etc. I realized that beer is my Budweiser or Millers Draft. When I need a break or am just darn thirsty they go down good. The lager I brewed is the same, bit stronger flavor but not much now it's had a couple of weeks on it. There was also a Boags clone recipe I found. That would be lighter and sweeter.

I've already got a list of brews I want to do. Pilsner is big on my list but I am going to plan carefully for that one. Waiting until winter to brew for drinking next summer. I'm prepared to be patient for that one.

S-04 is a good yeast. Not very attenuative normally, but gives good English style esters and results in a really clean beer because it is very flocculent.

Dosage for that yeast is 50 - 80 g/hl. I would recommend doubling your yeast pitch for that much beer. That will definitely not be overpitching, and with this yeast especially will not result in cloudiness. Just try to get the temp down for a few days after fermentation to get the junk to settle out.

Glass
7th January 2014, 04:07 AM
Ok so here we are at the time for the first reading. 4 Days in the fermenter now. The fermenter temps have been around 23C - 24C despite the wild fluctuations in the outside temps.

Original Gravity was 1.036.
1st reading was 1.016 (@23C Day 4).

Ambient today was 35C Fermenter ran at 23C. Outside it was 38C.

This seems to be fairly substantial progress in just 4 days.

The colour and aroma of the beer appear ok. The colour is a nice golden yellow. There are no bad odours and the taste is ok but a bit bland. The appearance is something else though. There is a large amount of material floating in the beer. It looks gelatinous. There appears to be no gas in the liquid. On the previous beer there was some gas which was visible on the float when checking the SG. In this case there is none as yet.

The material settles fairly quickly. As the spigot is mabye 1.5 - 2 inches above the bottom of the fermenter, the only reason I'm seeing it is because it's suspended. I'll keep an eye on it.

Glass
7th January 2014, 04:26 AM
leaving the test sample in the hydrometer for a while things settled a lot. I normally leave it 20 minutes and check again. This time, with the light on and when squinting I can see carbonation in there. The rate is decent. Its also clear the gelatinous material is the yeast culture because there is a slow steady bubble going on there. I think these things are supposed to be cloudy but we still expect some settling.

I'll remove the collar soon. I didn't bother for KoB #1. That may have contributed to the temporary odour is a thought just now.

Where did the odour go? I am using these safety caps. Not the ones with the bottles. Supposed to let off pressure if too high. I don't know how high it allows. Odour gone = gas displaced because it's been released as pressure builds up?

steyr_m
7th January 2014, 09:36 PM
I'm just skimming your thread.....

Have you looked into the Brewpi? it's an Arduino/Raspberry Pi brew controller.

http://brewpi.com/

I'm looking into it. The $14.00 for 4 500ml Stella Artois is starting to break the bank

Glass
7th January 2014, 10:19 PM
interesting. There are some cheap controllers out there that everyone in homebrew world seem to like. I think they cost about $35. Allows for tight control of refridgerators above their normal operating temps, so in the teens. The thing that device doesn't do is log the temps as you go. At least I don't think it does so that could be handy. Mostly for troubleshooting I suppose.

I have been looking around for a fridge. More a need of beer storage than temp controlled ferment. Budgets pretty tight. If new it would be small bar fridge around $300. Used it could be bigger for same bux. 200L would be ideal. Some thing a keg could fit in as well as other stuff would be spot on. I've seen a chest freezer get converted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4) and using one of the controllers to keep it at beer serving temp. I don't know if that would work for me. 2nd hand chest freezers are plenty and cheap though so open to ideas.

$14 for 2litres of Stella is pretty good price. It costs about $18 here. I think. Been a while since looking. On exchange rate its probably worse. I used to go for cartons/cases of it when it is at $40. I don't think I've seen it below $55 over Xmas so it's become more expensive. It is also brewed here in Oz by Carlton United or Lion Nathan so basically its now rubbish beer. All the good brands got licensed to one of those two brewery companies which turned them all into wizz.

The trick is to keep an eye out for true imports. From time to time there are actually imports of some of the top euro brands. Word spreads quick. When there is some you you gots to be fast.

i want to add, everyone should home brew. ;)

Glass
8th January 2014, 04:17 AM
Well Day 5 is done and dusted. Was milder weather today.

2nd reading was 1.014 (@22C Day 5).

I don't know about todays temps. The Govt says it was 28C. I think it was 34C and my ambient was 29C with a ferment temp of 22C. Its possible I did not do a reset yesterday but I'm usually pretty good.

Observations for today. I pulled the Krousen (?) collar from the fermenter, this morning. I am not happy with how that went. My fault for not double checking everything. I went off and cleaned the collar and after maybe 5 minutes discovered I had not set the lid on correctly. The smell gave it away. I repositioned the lid but it was still not seated correctly and after maybe another 10 minutes the smell caused me to check again. I may have removed it too soon. Unsure.

I am also unhappy with the spigot/tap. It is not the same as the ones I have seen on YT for this kit and it does not disassemble as far as I can see. It is a spring loaded lever arrangement and not a rotating spigot. This means there is no real way to get inside and clean the guts. I also see that beer pools in amongst the lever bits which dries out. I've taken to pouring some water in there to flush it out after taking a sample but if stuff is pooling there its possible it could find its way inside.

Still a lot of floating material. Smaller size today than yesterday but still a lot there. Beer smells ok and tastes ok. bit bland but beer. Cloudy but clears to a haze which it is supposed to be I think. Still going to say no real carbonation happening here. Must try harder little yeast dudes.

steyr_m
8th January 2014, 05:47 AM
ok, just thought I'd throw it out there. What I usually do like about [especially] the Arduino is it's open source code and open hardware. Endless configurablity.

$18 for 2L? Where the heck do you live?

Libertytree
8th January 2014, 07:25 AM
Glass, can you take a pic or give a link to a pic(s)? I might have a cheap fix for ya but I need to see the specific set up before I open my mouth.

Glass
8th January 2014, 02:02 PM
ok, just thought I'd throw it out there. What I usually do like about [especially] the Arduino is it's open source code and open hardware. Endless configurablity.

$18 for 2L? Where the heck do you live?
I appreciate the ideas. I like those little units. I have a pi thats basically only being used as a media streamer and for checking what they are all about. If I can use on of those to control a drone to fetch me a beer.......

Sorry LT what am I fixing to fix?

Libertytree
8th January 2014, 02:23 PM
The lid and the spigot.

Glass
8th January 2014, 03:14 PM
okie doke. Thanks. I'll see if I can make a pic of the spigot. It's pretty cramped down in the trough that the fermenter is in. Maybe I can find an internet pic I can draw on.

The lid problem is down to me. It is a sit on lid. No screw on lid. I just didn't pay enough attention in making sure it was seated correctly. You would look at it and wonder how I did not notice as it was on a fair angle. I worried about getting air in there and sending it all bad.

I am pondering the sediment. There is a lot in the hydrometer sample and in the bottom of the cup I used. Much much more than in the last batch. Wondering how to settle it, if it means just waiting longer before bottling or if it is going to need racking before bottling or something else needs doing. Remembering we are only at day 5 - 6 and the last one was 14 days in the fermenter.

I am prepared to do nothing if doing nothing achieves something.

Libertytree
8th January 2014, 03:40 PM
Question...are you taking your samples from the top or the bottom of the fermenter?

I'm like you dude, I'm willing to screw up in order to be better and learn.

Glass
8th January 2014, 03:51 PM
I'm taking the samples from the spigot so the bottom of the fermenter. Its a tight fit but a measuring cup fits in under it to catch the goodness.

The spigot is about 1.5 - 2" above the base of the fermenter so plenty of room for sediment to settle. I mentioned some noticeable improvement of sediment between day 4 and 5 so doing nothing might be the answer.

Libertytree
8th January 2014, 04:10 PM
Is there no way to take it from the top? I'd love to see a pic of this. You do have ways around this.

Glass
8th January 2014, 05:19 PM
Ok so we have learned something important right about now. I have found some pictures of the spigot and guess what! It comes apart. Anyways this first pic shows the spigot and the line indicates where the beer is pooling when the tap is used.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/glassgold/beer/coopers_spiggot_mkd_zps8e9458af.jpg
Here is the pic showing the spigot is able to be disassembled.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/glassgold/beer/coopers_spiggot2_zps06b984d4.jpg

So seeing as I did not break it down like this after the first brew, I'll hang my hopes on there being little to no residue from the one and only brew to date. I did have the tap open and soaking for a day or so. I got in there with a brush although it was a clumsy way to do it.

I learned something so it's not a loss. I looked before and could not find any info. Seems your questions brought the info karma spirit out to help.

I kept looking at those little ridges you can see around the circumference of the housing and thinking to myself this must come apart. These ridges are for grip surely? Seems they were exactly for that.

Libertytree
8th January 2014, 08:04 PM
Is this the kit you bought? The spigot from the pic looks different but...?

http://us.diybeer.com/

Does the lid just snap on?

I wouldn't worry if it's not snapped on tight. Mine is just the garbage can lid and it's not sealed tight, no problem. As far as the spigot goes...you could always install another one but I'd just take the lid off and take my hydro samples out with a turkey baster.

Glass
8th January 2014, 09:11 PM
yes the spigot on mine is different to the ones I've seen online but the one I have and images posted of, is available at their online store.

the lid just sits on but it only goes on one way so I shouldn't have been able to mess that up. Anyway. we learn something. I'd prefer not to dip anything in the mix.

Glass
8th January 2014, 11:42 PM
been to the liquor store and they had Stella Atois cartons for $38. So 8L of beer in 330ml x 24 - Aussie brewed Stella Atois. But then I saw cartons of 24 x 500ml cans for $60 - Fully Imported. So 12L. Pro rata it's the nearly same $ per L but imported good stuff.

Libertytree
9th January 2014, 08:17 AM
It just looks like the spigot is really close to the bottom and that it might allow the yeast to get sucked out when it's turned on. My 6.5gal ferment bucket's like that too and it bothered me so much that when I installed the spigot on my trash can I raised it to about 4 inches from the bottom to keep that from happening when I was filling bottles. It doesn't bother me at all taking a hydro sample from the top, ya just gotta sterilize what ya use and make it brief.

Glass
9th January 2014, 03:41 PM
Day 6

3rd reading was 1.014 (@23C Day 6).

Again the temps were a bit off. I was showing 30C ambient (temp in the brew room) while the Govt says it was only 28C outside. Fermenter at 23C

nothing much else to report. No noticable change in the beer. Still lots of floaters. Considering dropping in something to settle it a bit. I will see what the next 2 readings are and if we look like being done I'll drop in some gelatine or something. I really don't want this much sediment in the bottles.

I'm running the aircond in the house this morning. Not specifically to cool the house but it will have that effect anyway. We are expecting 36C today and 43C tomorrow. Seeing as I damn near burnt the house down last night. Don't fall asleep with something cooking is the lesson there. I need the aircon on to try and get the smell out. Smells like an ashtray of really bad cigars and I don' think its going anywhere in a hurry.

Libertytree
9th January 2014, 03:56 PM
Day 6

Again the temps were a bit off. I was showing 30C ambient (temp in the brew room) while the Govt says it was only 28C outside. Fermenter at 23C

nothing much else to report. No noticable change in the beer. Still lots of floaters. Considering dropping in something to settle it a bit. I will see what the next 2 readings are and if we look like being done I'll drop in some gelatine or something. I really don't want this much sediment in the bottles.

I'm running the aircond in the house this morning. Not specifically to cool the house but it will have that effect anyway. We are expecting 36C today and 43C tomorrow. Seeing as I damn near burnt the house down last night. Don't fall asleep with something cooking is the lesson there. I need the aircon on to try and get the smell out. Smells like an ashtray of really bad cigars and I don' think its going anywhere in a hurry.

Holy fuckin hell dude! I damn near nose spurted here, geeeeeez, that's some crazy shit.

Glass
9th January 2014, 04:57 PM
maybe a bit of an exaggeration there but it was probably fairly close to going up when I woke up. Had a beeper thing to remind me at 30 mins but I slept through that and for another hour and a half. Anyhow a day in the adventures of Glass.

Libertytree
9th January 2014, 05:04 PM
maybe a bit of an exaggeration there but it was probably fairly close to going up when I woke up. Had a beeper thing to remind me at 30 mins but I slept through that and for another hour and a half. Anyhow a day in the adventures of Glass.

We'd be great room mates, lol.

BrewTech
9th January 2014, 08:19 PM

I've done that... boiled off a pot of macaroni. Thing was smoking when I woke up. Place smelled like burnt hair for 2 weeks.

Glass
9th January 2014, 08:43 PM
I've done that... boiled off a pot of macaroni. Thing was smoking when I woke up. Place smelled like burnt hair for 2 weeks.

Chilli beef here. All I can smell today and I've been away from the house 5 or 6 hours now is this smell. I think I reek of the smell. I was looking forward to some tacos and maybe some beans and rice. oh well. the last time I did that it was chilli beef as well IIRC. Had to chuck that cookpot out. Burnt though the handle. Actualy that is what it smells like now - burnt bake-a-lite which is what all the handles are made of.

Glass
10th January 2014, 05:18 AM
Day 7

4th reading was 1.0125 (@24C Day 7).

Govt says we had best part of 33C today. My ambient was 32C. Fermenter was at 24C dead.

Observations for today are that in 24 hours this beer has transformed. It has had the warmest 24 hours so far. The beer is super clear. I would say there is a small amount of sediment left but it is an acceptable level now. I would accept that amount in the bottle. The change is dramatic. It may be that I have just flushed out some clogging the spigot and now it's flowing clean.

Aroma is light. It's beer but subtle. Taste to me is clean but bitter. Sharpish. I considered this bitter edge and the clarity and concluded we might be done even though I don't have 2 readings. I'm thinking all the fermentables are gone. The malt % was fairly low from what I've seen others use. Anyway I think I want to chill this down a little bit, slow it. Have a couple ice bottles in. Not looking to go too far. Just 1 - 1.5C.

Tomorrow is 44C and Sunday 41 so a couple of hot ones in a row. May be some respite by Monday. I will need to add some chill for the next couple of days just to stay steady. And I want to drop it 1 or so.

BrewTech
10th January 2014, 07:19 AM
Generally, it's a good idea to allow the temp to rise a degree or so at the end to get a beer to finish fermenting and to allow for a diacetyl rest (lagers should always be raised to ale temps for at least two days for this). After that, crash it as low as you can for at least three days (0C is optimal, but probably not realistic in your case). I used to just stick the fermenter is the garage fridge, about 4C... thankfully had enough space to move all the shelves up to make room - made a HUGE difference in the quality and clarity.

Glass
11th January 2014, 04:40 AM
Day 8 and as big Kev used to say "I'm excited".

5th reading was 1.012 (@24C Day 8).

We know Govt is unreliable at best. Fortunately Neuro (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?24787-What-are-you-drinking-right-now&p=684753&viewfull=1#post684753) is on the case and yes Pillage is more right than rampage. Especially if you are a Viking.

Neuro says we had best part of 42.7C today. My ambient was 32.5C. Fermenter was at 24C and a smidge.

I put in 2 frozen bottles late last night but added no more chilling today. Added some cool water as evaporation was higher than normal. Fermenter temps nice and steady for today.

Comments for today. Hot damn hot. Been out and sprayed water on the brick walls of the house, paving and so on. Was still 41C at 7PM. Need to find some temp buffer tonight for tomorrows 41. Seems to make a diff. Just messing about.

The beer is looking awesome. No bitterness taste detected today. Nice and sweet. When I first pulled the sample and took a long sniff, well I've been there before. Nice. Anyway bitterness is gone if it even was there to begin with. Maybe it was my taste buds yesterday. Super micro carbonation. Shining a light through it and there are many tiny carbonation bubbles visible. I thought there was no sediment left but looking close there is a very small amount. very small.

Am preparing to bottle. Cleaning the bottles. Need to grab another box of 15 tomorrow. I'll plan to bottle Monday or Tuesday night my time. I think I will have at least 2 steady readings by then. I am going to use different bottle caps on this brew. 50/50 coopers bottle caps and these other ones I used before. See if there is any different.

Ok thats it. A trough of water still proves to be pretty stable temp wise. Pretty amazing really.

Libertytree
11th January 2014, 08:02 PM
Are you using the exact caps you used before or others just like them?

Just an aside....any of those plastic soda/pop/beverage containers will work with those caps, as long as they're new caps. Been there...drank that :)

Glass
11th January 2014, 08:46 PM
Are you using the exact caps you used before or others just like them?

Just an aside....any of those plastic soda/pop/beverage containers will work with those caps, as long as they're new caps. Been there...drank that :)

I didn't use the ones Coopers supplied in the kit on KoB #1. I bought some ones called Safety Caps. I think safety means they have that ring that separates from the cap when you undo them. Pretty standard. It stated on the packet that they would safely release excess pressure. They were white and I could write on them. Thinking that was a win win I grabbed some but I'm not actually sure what the safety part is. Anyway I've used the Coopers ones on ginger beer and they are solid. I had that GB I was trying to degas and the cap had deformed but held tight. No safe release of excess pressure going on there.

The white ones are one use only where the Coopers ones are multi use. I figured for 10 cent a cap I'd try them but they need benchmarking.

I will use half and half and see if I can detect any difference over time. I agree they are just the right size to go on all the soda bottles so if you want to bottle a 2L beer you can use a new cap if you need to.

Glass
12th January 2014, 06:50 AM
Day 9. Weird weather

6th reading was 1.012 (@22C Day 9).

Temps hit the expected max temp of 41 at an unexpected 9:30 in the morning. Ambient was 33C. I setup for a hot day, expecting it to peak early to mid afternoon. Added some chill but temps came down sooner than I thought they would so the fermenter ended up a bit low.

Comments: nothing much. Aroma is still good. Taste I think is ok. We have 2 days with the same reading so I think we can go ahead and bottle now. I'll try and get that done tomorrow night.

BrewTech
12th January 2014, 07:30 AM
Comments: nothing much. Aroma is still good. Taste I think is ok. We have 2 days with the same reading so I think we can go ahead and bottle now. I'll try and get that done tomorrow night.

No conditioning?

Glass
12th January 2014, 01:23 PM
No conditioning?

Do you think I should try and push the fermenter temps lower for a few days first before bottling? I could probably get it down to maybe 18C/65F over the next few days while the outside temp dips. I don't think I could get it much lower than that.

Would I need to rack it to another fermenter for this?

BrewTech
12th January 2014, 05:42 PM
Do you think I should try and push the fermenter temps lower for a few days first before bottling? I could probably get it down to maybe 18C/65F over the next few days while the outside temp dips. I don't think I could get it much lower than that.

Would I need to rack it to another fermenter for this?

Ice the fermenter as intensely as possible. If you have a way to make ice, you can do this. Get the fermenter as close to 0C as you can. It may take a ton of ice, but so what? Commercial brewers do this as an elemental step towards making acceptable beer. Therefore you should do it as a matter of course, being a homebrewer in pursuit of excellence.

Make it so!

(No you do not have to move the beer to do this, just chill the primary. That's what I do...)

Glass
12th January 2014, 07:51 PM
how long would I need to do that? I don't think I can go 0C but I could give it a go and get fairly low. I could probably do it for 4 days perhaps but come Friday the temps are going back to 40C here. I don't think I would be able to get it much below 60F.

What happens when I bottle the beer? Can I let it come back up to ambient more or less or am I locked into keeping it that cold in the bottles from the time they are bottled? I've been keeping the bottles about 22-24 C for 2 weeks then moving them to the fridge.

BrewTech
13th January 2014, 06:36 AM
how long would I need to do that? I don't think I can go 0C but I could give it a go and get fairly low. I could probably do it for 4 days perhaps but come Friday the temps are going back to 40C here. I don't think I would be able to get it much below 60F.

What happens when I bottle the beer? Can I let it come back up to ambient more or less or am I locked into keeping it that cold in the bottles from the time they are bottled? I've been keeping the bottles about 22-24 C for 2 weeks then moving them to the fridge.

The idea is to get yeast and other solid materials to settle out of the beer, so only the cleanest beer possible goes into the bottles. If you can only get the beer down to 60, I would just go ahead and bottle, carbonate and then condition them in the fridge.

Basically, I'm just trying to pass along what I've learned while brewing to you guys so that you will have ways to improve your process and overall beer quality. None of these steps are absolutely required for a homebrewer making some beer to drink (I did things exactly how you are for quite a while), but I had the advantage of pro brewers and advanced homebrewers in the club showing me ways I could improve my beer with a minimum amount of hassle and expense, so I'm just passing that info on to you guys.

Glass
13th January 2014, 07:04 AM
Day 10. Cooler today but still warm.

7th reading was 1.010 (@23C Day 10).

Comments: Lower temps around town today. Beer ran 23C. Thinking we might be done yesterday based on the specific gravity but today still some more to go. I'd say we split the difference 1.010 - 1.011. on the scale. Why does the scale always stop facing away from you when taking a reading?

Color and clarity is very good. Nice color and nothing to see as floating sediment.

Appreciate the advice BT. I'm keen to get some real lagering done before next summer so will be working some more fridge space just for beer. THen we will see what we can do.

Glass
14th January 2014, 08:40 AM
Day 11. A repeat of yesterday

7th reading was 1.010 (@23C Day 10).
8th reading was 1.010 (@23C Day 11).

Comments: No significant change today. 29C in the room and 23C in the beer. Its nudging up. The air is drier and the water has been evaporating faster. Other than that steady as she goes. Have not had time to pick up more bottles. Going to have to make it tomorrow for bottling. Flat out with everything else and more piling on so want to get it done and it looks like time.

woodman
14th January 2014, 09:12 AM
I'm keen to get some real lagering done before next summer so will be working some more fridge space just for beer. THen we will see what we can do.

A good way to go is to buy an older chest freezer. They can often be gotten for very cheap. Doesn't have to look good. Buy a temperature regulator switch off ebay. Plug it in and set your temp and you're good to go.

BrewTech
14th January 2014, 09:15 AM
A good way to go is to buy an older chest freezer. They can often be gotten for very cheap. Doesn't have to look good. Buy a temperature regulator switch off ebay. Plug it in and set your temp and you're good to go.

Exactly right. I happen to have one sitting over in storage right now, but I think shipping it to Oz wouldn't be cost effective. Besides, if I ever start homebrewing again, I will be using it for this purpose. Otherwise, I may turn it into a kegerator.

Glass
14th January 2014, 02:09 PM
thats what I am looking for at the moment but it will really be a couple months before I could afford any $ towards it. If something turns up free I'll grab it but otherwise it's on top of the list.

Libertytree
14th January 2014, 05:16 PM
I think it's interesting that we all have different things at the top of our list, given we all have different circumstances and environments.

Glass
15th January 2014, 01:49 AM
I think it's interesting that we all have different things at the top of our list, given we all have different circumstances and environments.

You're right LT. It's the nature of the beast. Make it better, faster stronger than it was before :-). I've been in this boat a couple times. Various hobbies that once you get into them it can be a never ending adventure to get it "more better" next time. Tweak a little here and there. The other side of the coin is that you make em social. So you can share info, sample others efforts and make very strong friendships if you choose. Of course there can be rivalry but good natured is best.

I probably would not have had a go if it wasn't for the talk here and around me in the real world at the same time. I noticed so many people talking home brew I figured I should jump in.

What I appreciate is the ideas and advice. Sometimes I've heard it or been reading about it but to hear it again from different sources is reassuring that you are on the path.

Bottling soon maybe. I'll do one more reading and see where it is at but am prepping if it's a steady one.

Glass
15th January 2014, 05:20 AM
Day 12- Dodici

Reading was a steady 1.010. I think that spells Bingo. Bottled 30 x 740ml tonight or King Browns as we call them down under. 23C.

I already decided I am going to be brewing more of this. I think this has quaffer potential. It is shaping up as an easy drinker so it could be a staple in the cool room. This beer, well both so far have been straight forward. This beer looks golden in colour when you draw a sample. In the fermenter it looks a golden red colour. Very clear at the end. There was a lot of sediment the consistency of curd or tofu.

Some settles on a sloping ledge above the spigot. At some point it gets enough drag to break free and end up in the bottles. I looked at an auto syphon and for the money it is worth a try. Draw from the top and avoid stirring up the sediment. If it works out ok then I will be ready to use any thing for a fermenter and 5gal pails are under $15. An airlock or not as I've already seen, couple bucks max.

I was checking out the kit o' beer beer beer options at the liquor store picking up the extra bottles. Not a fan of cerveza or dark beers. Ales, lagers and bitters are my thing. I will probably do this one again straight away and scheme for pilsners and lagers for this winter. Maybe a bitter or two. There are a couple different levels in coopers so enough to be occupied with for a while. Then there are other brand kits.

I would like to get to a point where I'm doing all grain and messing with these for testing ideas or keeping up supply. Probably like most people brewers I suppose.

Glass
22nd January 2014, 02:31 AM
Ah ha! Its uno, duo, tre, quattro, cinque, sei, sette, days in the bottle. Nothing to report. I'll wait another week and then we can sample.

It's been hot most of this past week. 38C +. I'm reading higher temps here and out and about by as many as +5C. Mostly +3C but have not found anywhere as low as reported. I don't think I've been able to get the temps below 25-26 and I think it's been creeping a fair bit. So I don't know what the impact will be. It's tough to brew in these temps without temp control.

I've been tempted just to jam them in the fridge and then just leave them for a month or however long. Just so they don't get some kind of funk.

Glass
29th January 2014, 03:09 AM
Today is day 14 in the bottle. There are no bottles that are really ripe. I grabbed a black cap and a white cap. 24 hours on the chill. Today am tasting the white cap.

The smell is the same smell it was when fermented. No real change there. That smell detected in KoB #1 is only just there and is gone by the time you take a second whiff. The colour is a nice golden colour. KoB #1 came out a darker amber colour while this is more like a golden pale ale colour. There is some cloudiness to the beer. Again it seems consistent with a pale ale in that respect.

There is virtually no carbonation at this time in this beer. It's basically flat. No head to speak of. There is some small amount of carbonation but it's very lazy and doesn't do much more than put a sharpish edge to the beer when you swallow it. It is much slower to carbonate than KoB #1 was. I think at this rate it could need another month before we see anything. I am shelving these in a water bath to try and keep the temp lower and stable at temps close to the ferment temps. This is probably causing the slower carbonation rate. I did this with KoB #1 and they went into the fridge after 2 weeks so they were not really going to carbonate in a hurry.

The flavour is nice, not strong by any means. It is quite sweet suggesting a bit of the sugars did not ferment. It did have about 15 - 20% LDME. An easy drinker that you would take a keg to a bbq. I don't think I would brew this as a straight blonde again for me. I think it needs something to give it an edge.

I'm going to drink the second half of the bottle and see how I feel about it.

Glass
29th January 2014, 03:39 AM
the second half was no worse than the first. I enjoyed it more actually. There were some small floaties I'm taking for bits of yeast.

In the interest of beerscience I cracked the second bottle. The black cap. This one is flat. There was none of the smell. There appears to be about the same carbonation occuring but not reflected in the taste of this beer. No sensation of carbonation in the mouth or throat. I think this will meet sink due to flatness.

Score so far
White caps 1
Black caps 0

I'm going to get a second hydrometer. and check if I need to compensate for temps when reading. Buzz feels reasonable. Maybe the OG was not spot on? Will need to test more brews.

Beer needs more time. Possibly much more time. I would probably keg this beer and force carbonate, It is a nice taste and colour and would be agreeable to most people on a warm to hot day.

So no criticism of the beer, just not carb'd enough.

Libertytree
31st January 2014, 01:53 PM
the second half was no worse than the first. I enjoyed it more actually. There were some small floaties I'm taking for bits of yeast.

In the interest of beerscience I cracked the second bottle. The black cap. This one is flat. There was none of the smell. There appears to be about the same carbonation occuring but not reflected in the taste of this beer. No sensation of carbonation in the mouth or throat. I think this will meet sink due to flatness.

Score so far
White caps 1
Black caps 0

I'm going to get a second hydrometer. and check if I need to compensate for temps when reading. Buzz feels reasonable. Maybe the OG was not spot on? Will need to test more brews.

Beer needs more time. Possibly much more time. I would probably keg this beer and force carbonate, It is a nice taste and colour and would be agreeable to most people on a warm to hot day.

So no criticism of the beer, just not carb'd enough.

It's pretty easy to check your hydrometer, fill your test tube up with water and if it reads 1.000 at 68 then it's ok. That too depends on where your hydrometer was calibrated at, some are calibrated at 60F. Look at the info that came with yours.

Here's the adjustment calculator to use once you know it's working properly.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Glass
31st January 2014, 03:07 PM
Hey LT. thanks.

I did test mine and it came in zero ok. I guess I'll check it again regularly. Someone suggested having a second, as a backup because they can break fairly easy and to use for a second opinion. I was figuring for the money it would be worth having.

tossing up going and looking at a fridge this morning. getting it home will be a challenge. might have to get it delivered which will add a bit to the end cost.

Libertytree
31st January 2014, 08:05 PM
I treat mine like a newborn baby and if it's outta whack I'll know it promptly. If I need a new one then so be it, till then there are other $ to spend.

I gotta ask dude..... The term "tossing up"? I'm really curious.

Glass
31st January 2014, 08:24 PM
I gotta ask dude..... The term "tossing up"? I'm really curious.

Short for tossing a coin. In the UK tossing/tosser means something completely different although we use it that way as well. I went and had a look at the fridge. It was from a rental co. They had a few but the people said they had been selling their ex rentals since December and all the good ones went before Xmas. So basically not much left on offer. Pretty poor condition for the money IMO. I've seen better in the trading mags.

I agree on the $ priority. I'm confident mine is good. I heard they are easy to break. The Kit O Beer ones are all plastic but I think there is still a glass float inside.

Glass
5th February 2014, 03:37 AM
3 weeks in the bottle. Time for a taste test.

Black cap selected for the taster. It was the ripest one. 24 hours on the chill @ 5C.

Bottle still mostly firm once chilled. They go a bit soft when chilled. A nice amount of gas released. Sounded like the most so far from either batch. Good sign.

This is a light honey coloured beer. Very clear to the eye. There is a slight hint of that smell but you have to shove your nose in it. Carbonation is still a bit light on but it is getting there. The head is thin and shallow. Half a finger would be generous. Does not have any stamina and fades away. Slight lacing but this also fades quickly. Carbonation is light but it is consistent for the duration. It is definately more of an ale style.

Taste is the thing. You get the taste of that smell even though you can't smell it. On the first mouthful is clearly there. A couple of mouthfuls are needed to soften it. Then it is nice and sweet. I don't really have any thing different to say from the last taster. It's a noice beer. It could be an easy chugger. I think you would probably brew this beer or one like it more than others so you had a good supply of something that would be agreeable to everyone.

Nice beer, needs more time bottle fermenting. I think that taste/smell goes over time as well. Seems slower than the lager from KoB #1. Don't know why. Not fussed about it. Happy to wait.

Glass
8th February 2014, 01:55 AM
3.5 weeks in the bottle. I've just tasted 2 bottles. Both white caps. These seem to be ripening faster but.....

Not happy with the carbonation on this beer. LT and I have discussed SafAle 04 yeast in KoB #3 and how it performs. I'm ok with the results of primary fermentation but bottle carbonation seems lacking.

Bottle #1 gave me a nice gas release. Some beer got out. None of that smell on this one. Started out with good head in an chilled glass. Disappears quickly. No real ongoing gas release to speak ok. 2nd glass was poorer carbonation.

Bottle #2 was flat. A repeat of the first taste test I did. A quick release of gas and then nothing in the beer.

Describing the flavor of this beer is difficult. It has few distinct flavors. Perhaps some light fruit flavor that is like melon and something else. It is just there in the background. I'd like it to have something else but nothing too strong. It's nice but mehh.

I am going to brew this one again using the coopers yeast but keeping everything else the same. I will probably do this as KoB #4. Get it done so I can move on with some better info on the 2 yeasts and how they compare in the bottle carbonation.

BrewTech
8th February 2014, 07:44 AM
Commercially bottle conditioned beers often have new yeast added to them prior to bottling. Danstar makes a yeast (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/danstar-cask-and-bottle-conditioning-ale-yeast.html) specifically for bottle conditioning. I've never actually repitched before bottling, so I can't report any anecdotal results.

How much priming sugar are you adding to the beer before bottling?

Glass
8th February 2014, 03:08 PM
carbonation drops, two of to every bottle 25oz. I wondered if you can add more yeast at bottling. Or if I added more primer. Previous batch was good on 2per. There are plenty of variables. I got a couple I want to look at. Using coopers yeast. Bottles and glass cleaning with dish detergent no good? Rinse a lot. sanitized. Leaves a film or some thing? Bottles are PET. Temp control. I'm holding them in range for the yeast 20-24C but its easier to do on the low side slowing things. Just be patient. Do nothing more. Every brew does it's own thing in it's own time. Stop thinking.

Libertytree
8th February 2014, 03:57 PM
carbonation drops, two of to every bottle 25oz. I wondered if you can add more yeast at bottling. Or if I added more primer. Previous batch was good on 2per. There are plenty of variables. I got a couple I want to look at. Using coopers yeast. Bottles and glass cleaning with dish detergent no good? Rinse a lot. sanitized. Leaves a film or some thing? Bottles are PET. Temp control. I'm holding them in range for the yeast 20-24C but its easier to do on the low side slowing things. Just be patient. Do nothing more. Every brew does it's own thing in it's own time. Stop thinking.

I don't use carbonation drops, I use regular sugar, 1/2 cup per 5gals.

I don't know about adding byeast at bottling, doesn't make sense to me. Sugars/carb drops yes.

DO NOT use dish detergent with your bottles. A good rinse after emptying a bottle is great, then all you have to do is sterilize it before bottling. I've been using bleach/water but I'm using a lot of water and time doing so, thus the sanitizer unit. I'll find the link to the stuff I'm gonna start using, maybe you can find it over there?

Glass
8th February 2014, 05:18 PM
ok thanks. I use a enviro detergent. I'll stop using it on the bottles. Trying to remember what I did with the 1st batch of bottles. They were new in box. I may have just rinsed them then sanitized and used. I don't recall. 2nd batch were all washed in deterg. I've been thinking on the bottle washer. I've got a small submersible pump sitting in the shed. I looked for some crates yesterday at the recycle place but they were too beat up. I had some but I chucked them.

Libertytree
8th February 2014, 08:19 PM
I'm gonna use the LD Carlson, Easy Clean, second from the top at this link. http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-beer-sanitizers.php

As far as the crate goes for the washer, don't sweat that, it's the tub that's important in that regard. The crates just make it a lil more handier as far as drainage and a pedestal goes. If you have the pump already then you're one up, just make sure you flush it out good. I'll work the kinks out of the washer when I get back from my trip, ain't no sense in us both spending $ on making this work.

Glass
9th February 2014, 05:19 PM
I remember I have some PVC pipe somewhere. Was for another use but it is probably still in the shed. I didn't get the chance to take a look on the weekend. Not sure how much is there.

On beer glasses. I am confident my glasses are ok and not affecting the beer. It occurs to me I have used them before, ;) washed as I usually do and there is no impact to beer head, carbonation release or lacing. To be sure I double checked this yesterday a few times. I going back to blaming slow carbonation due to low balling the temps a few degrees. I'm going to let the bottles area warm maybe +3C over the next few days. Doesn't sound like much but I think it will help. Other than that I will wait.........

But I won't be using dish soap on the next batch of bottles to see anyway. Already started going through and really soaking ones I washed already.

I wonder if Buddha had any wisdoms about beer?

Libertytree
9th February 2014, 07:45 PM
When I finish a beer I rinse it out with hot water and put it on the tree. Then right before I bottle I set up a mix of 1 cap of bleach per 1 gal of hot water, submerse the bottles for 3-4 mins and spin them to make sure all areas got contacted. Then I remove the bottles pouring the bleach water back into that tub and rinse the hell out of it, let it drain and cool and bottle.

It's a lot of time and a lot of water and even more of a PITA! I'll be glad to be done with it.

Me thinks I need to get a F vs C chart, lol :)

Glass
9th February 2014, 09:45 PM
yeah sorry I try and convert metric to US when I remember. I also rinse the bottles straight away they are empty. Before even taking a sip. Leave a bit of water in the bottom. When I have 4 or 5 empty I soak them for a couple of hours. Then rinse thoroughly, store until bottling day. Easier than facing a pile of bottles the day before or of bottling.

I picked up a few bits for the party keg. Need a valve and I should be right to start assembling it. Still need a hose, tap and something to get the CO2 out of the bulbs into the beer.

Glass
12th February 2014, 03:07 AM
ok so I guess it's 4 weeks in the bottle. Only a few days since the last test. A couple were pretty ripe. Clearly not ripe enough. I notice a softening of the bottles after a day in the fridge. Someone said you should give them a week to chill properly. Wondering if gas comes out of the beer initially then is absorbed back in.

There is an explosion of gas when you open the bottle and there is some liquid escaping. Happens every time. It's as if the all the gas escapes in one go.
Basically still a flat beer. Really light carbonation. Enough to drink it now you've opened it but you shouldn't have bothered. It can be a nice beer. Good sweetness, mouth feel. It's a lil hazy. Time Extension!

Of course if it was kegged it would be all good.

Libertytree
12th February 2014, 08:33 AM
Kinda sounds like my last batch. I still have about 6-8 bottles of it and it gets a lil better but not much. In contrast the last batch gets better by the day. I'm going on a 10 day trip and I'm already looking forward to what it'll be like when I get back.

Glass
12th February 2014, 05:33 PM
yes I've pulled the gloves off now. Lifting the temps another notch to see if we can finish them. I've still got them in a water bath. With that I can run them from 20 - 24C depending on any cooling I introduce. If I left them just on the shelf they would be running about 26 - 27C (78-80F) which I think is too warm. by a fraction maybe.

So anyway. Ill let the water bath dry up over the next few days and then I'll fridge the bulk of them. I think I will put half the bottles into a second fridge and just forget about them. I need one of those CO2 chargers for these. I might see if I can find the scratch to buy one. You can get screw on PET cap with a ball lock on it so the CO2 charger clicks right on.

I pondering how to carbonate KoB #3 at this point. I'm tempted to carbonate the same way (with drops) and see how that brew turns out. Keep the same variables. KoB #1 carbonated great. Same method. KoB #2 not so good. Same method but different yeast. KoB #3 Same method but different yeast as well. If I carbonate the same way and get the same result as KoB #2 then we have the common factor of the yeast. But I could have another batch of flat beer or very slow carbonating beer.

The plan is to move to a better method for priming. Either bulk priming or using something other than the drops but still priming each bottle.

I also want to go back and do this brew again with the coopers yeast as discussed before. I think that should be done quickly as in the next brew so the variables are about the same, temp etc.

I find this stuff fascinating. Keeping track of all the variables and how they affect things really floats my boat.

Libertytree
12th February 2014, 06:37 PM
It is fascinating! So many variables, however slight makes huge differences. If ya ever make the "perfect" batch ya gotta know how to reproduce it.

I can't tell any difference how the beer tastes or carbonates regarding the higher temps vs cooling them in the fridge. Remember that my usual temps for fermentation and for bottle carbonation is 75-80F.

I bulk prime with 1/2 cup table sugar per 5gals, it's just a whole lot easier.

Glass
12th February 2014, 10:03 PM
yes bulk priming could be the go. I didn't really want to have to rack to a bottling bucket then bottle. More handling than I would like but it might be necessary to get consistent carbonation. On the list of things to try. I was going to get a bottle priming measure and do some bottle priming that way and see how it goes. The people I know here are using plain old sugar in their priming.

Glass
17th February 2014, 02:16 AM
5 days since the last test. 24 hrs on the chill. A small improvement. The beer is carbonating. Oh so slowly. I guess it's time to move on. Expecting to bottle KoB #3 around Friday so will need some room. That means the bulk of this will have to go into a fridge. That's ok. Fridge hims and forget hims.

This is a sweet tasty brew. No doubt. You would have to put this on high rotation just for the sake of supply. But it's a double edged sword because it tastes so good and it chugs so easy you are going to have to brew more anyway. Catch 22. Still it's a valid reason to home brew. Cheaper, tastier and better for your insides. Less chemicals, acids and other crud they put in macro beers.

I'm looking into brewing in jerry cans - food plastic. get a couple going side by side in less space.

BrewTech
17th February 2014, 06:29 AM
When I finish a beer I rinse it out with hot water and put it on the tree. Then right before I bottle I set up a mix of 1 cap of bleach per 1 gal of hot water, submerse the bottles for 3-4 mins and spin them to make sure all areas got contacted. Then I remove the bottles pouring the bleach water back into that tub and rinse the hell out of it, let it drain and cool and bottle.

It's a lot of time and a lot of water and even more of a PITA! I'll be glad to be done with it.

Me thinks I need to get a F vs C chart, lol :)

TechTip: Tap water is, more often than not, loaded with beer spoiling bacteria.

Remedy: No-rinse sanitizer (http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech5.pdf)... available at the homebrew store.

More expensive than bleach (not much), but a little goes a long way, and the beer will be happier.

Glass
23rd February 2014, 07:01 PM
Tested another bottle on Sunday. That makes 5 weeks + 2 days in the bottle. This was bottle # 10 of the 30.

Now it is showing signs of improving carbonation. These beers are still lightly carb'd but at least there is some staying power to the carbonation. Head is thin and light at maybe a 1 finger if you pour it hard enough. There are some nice firm bottles in the batch so it's getting there but slow as weeks that are wet. Still good beer needs patient brewers.

There is a slight haze to the beer. It has a nice clean taste. The light carbonation helps with the ease of drinking. I think I've said all this before. I'd recommend this as a summer drinker but you'll probably need to have a batch on the go at all times. I personally think this should have conditioned a week or so ago. KoB #3 will give a comparison on the time for bottle conditioning. Same yeast, same brewing and priming method, different beer though. KoB # 4 will do the same but will be same beer as KoB #3, same brewing and priming method but different yeast.

Libertytree
25th February 2014, 03:22 PM
TechTip: Tap water is, more often than not, loaded with beer spoiling bacteria.

Remedy: No-rinse sanitizer (http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech5.pdf)... available at the homebrew store.

More expensive than bleach (not much), but a little goes a long way, and the beer will be happier.

I hate using the bleach but at the time it was just as cheap or cheaper than the products I had found at the time. Time has changed things, along with a whole lot of knowledge!

The no rinse sanitizer was always a key component of the sanitizing station build, even if it did cost more. After some looking around I found this stuff and will use it.

http://www.homebrewit.com/images/6019A

I'm done with bleach, I just don't trust it with my beer.

BrewTech
25th February 2014, 09:15 PM
I hate using the bleach but at the time it was just as cheap or cheaper than the products I had found at the time. Time has changed things, along with a whole lot of knowledge!

The no rinse sanitizer was always a key component of the sanitizing station build, even if it did cost more. After some looking around I found this stuff and will use it.

http://www.homebrewit.com/images/6019A

I'm done with bleach, I just don't trust it with my beer.

That's pretty good stuff, but it only cleans, it will not sanitize. Oxy-clean will do the same job.

Star-san is what you should get for sanitizing. Iodophor also works well.

Glass
25th February 2014, 11:03 PM
I've got all sorts of sanitiser. I've got some 20:1 liquid santiser, coopers powdered sanitiser, a generic one and I scored some PBW last weekend. I haven't been able to find any star san down here though.

Anyway, happy homebrew wednesday

Libertytree
26th February 2014, 06:55 AM
That's pretty good stuff, but it only cleans, it will not sanitize. Oxy-clean will do the same job.

Star-san is what you should get for sanitizing. Iodophor also works well.

What do you make of this? It is posted where the Easy Clean is sold, so I take it with a bit of salt.

What is the difference between a sanitizer and a cleanser?

In the U.S.A., the word sanitizer is a legal term defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. In order for a product to be called a sanitizer in promotional literature or on its packaging, that product must be approved by the EPA, assigned a registration number, and have an open file maintained with the EPA. Unless a company would like to invest an enormous amount of capitol in this process (or use another company's product through a process called "sub-registration"), they may not call their product a sanitizer.
If you purchase a bottle of bleach from the grocery store, unless it shows an EPA registration number on the front of the label, it is not a sanitizer. However, it will certainly be a good cleanser (although somewhat hazardous, not environmentally sound, and it will require rinsing).
Is Easy Clean (One Step) a sanitizer?
Read the above question and draw your own conclusions. Easy Clean (One Step) has been used with excellent results since 1992.
For best results, Easy Clean (One Step) requires a 30 second contact time.
If you feel you must sanitize equipment and bottles for added protection after cleaning, use your favorite sanitizer or use 2 oz of sodium or potassium metabisulphite and mix with 1 gallon of water. Coat all surfaces and remove excess by draining or let drip dry. There is no need to completely dry sulphite solution before using equipment or filling bottles with wine or beer.

http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-beer-sanitizers.php

BrewTech
26th February 2014, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't count on that product for sanitizing, although it is an oxidizer.

There is a rule in brewing that is well known:

Cleaners don't sanitize, and santizers don't clean.

That's why brewery equipment is first rinsed with hot water, then cleaned with either acid or sodium hydroxide (or alkaline PBW), rinsed again, and then sanitized (peracetic acid is popular) before filling. My regimen includes all three. I won't be telling the boss I had to dump a batch because I wanted to save a couple of bucks by shortcutting on hygiene.

Trust me, if there was a cheap, effective shortcut, pro brewers would be using it. After all, we are trying to make money. The truth is that there isn't.

Glass
26th February 2014, 09:01 AM
Confirming PBW is a cleaner not a sanitizer. Could not find a plain oxi clean type cleaner. Want something to clean couple cases 12oz glass bottles and maybe get labels off easier. Job for the weekend.

Libertytree
26th February 2014, 10:14 AM
Glad that was pointed out before I bought 5lbs of the Easy Clean! My bottles are clean and was just concentrating on the sanitizing aspect, no rinse specifically and it looks like Star San is the winner.

Glass
27th February 2014, 02:58 AM
Glad that was pointed out before I bought 5lbs of the Easy Clean! My bottles are clean and was just concentrating on the sanitizing aspect, no rinse specifically and it looks like Star San is the winner.

yes me too, because I still had in my head I needed an oxi clean. But I don't. Is good.

Had another beer yesterday and today. It is still barely not flat. It is drinkable. I guess the sweetness is the uncarbonated priming drop sugar. I saw norfolkhillbilly YT today and he described the exact same thing. Bottle gives a nice hiss. Beer is mostly flat. He says it was caused by out of date liquid malt extract. The kit he used was out of code. Mine was at least 1 year. But I did not make a note of the expiry of any of them. I am sure all of them had plenty of time. I will make a note from here on. I would not buy one if it was out of code and I think the turn over is fairly good. I might if they were just out and cheap.

Libertytree
27th February 2014, 08:53 AM
yes me too, because I still had in my head I needed an oxi clean. But I don't. Is good.

Had another beer yesterday and today. It is still barely not flat. It is drinkable. I guess the sweetness is the uncarbonated priming drop sugar. I saw norfolkhillbilly YT today and he described the exact same thing. Bottle gives a nice hiss. Beer is mostly flat. He says it was caused by out of date liquid malt extract. The kit he used was out of code. Mine was at least 1 year. But I did not make a note of the expiry of any of them. I am sure all of them had plenty of time. I will make a note from here on. I would not buy one if it was out of code and I think the turn over is fairly good. I might if they were just out and cheap.

Hmmm, I never considered that to be a culprit but it sounds very logical. The place I get my LME from has a very good rep but anything is possible.

Glass
27th February 2014, 02:27 PM
i'm still holding the yeast responsible at this point. Could be old or something. The net tells me that safale -04 is slow. just came across that info on expiry so I thought I'd make a note. We have a large liquor chain and a couple big department stores selling coopers kits. A bit cheaper than at the LHBS for same. I think the turn over is pretty good but anyway worth remembering to check the use by date.

Libertytree
27th February 2014, 02:40 PM
Don't yaw'll have an online outlet to go through?

Glass
27th February 2014, 03:45 PM
well you can buy via diybeer which is the coopers web site. Eventually I hope to get stuff from them. Domestic parcel post is huge $. The coopers guys do free ship specials from time to time. They also do a monthly beer style where they sell you everything including some steeping grains and hops. So basically more like the other brand kits you see like northern brewer, muntons and so on.

Anyway it is more the thought of having two of these undercarbonated brews to get through as KoB #3 is shaping up the same. I could be proved 100% wrong. Time will tell.

Libertytree
28th February 2014, 11:58 AM
I haven't drank any of my brews since I went to Daytona 2 weeks ago and am still drinking the Buds I took with me. I'm hoping that the extra 2 weeks have made it even better, it's kinda like trying it again for the 1st time.

Glass
1st March 2014, 01:34 AM
I watched the Daytona today. Many hours. Was not a bad race. I'm not glued to it. On in the back ground.

I cracked another 2 bottles of KoB #2 today. First bottle was hard, remembering they're PET. This was an example of what this beer can be at say 85% maybe 90%. Head was 1 1/2 fingers. Not a lot of staying power but there was something on top for the duration. Nice continuous carbonation. Great lacing on the glass. With the better carbonation levels the fruit aromas are more obvious. There is a faint pineapple aroma. When the glass is empty your tongue is in there licking the sides of the glass. Tasty. That was like a diamond in the rough. Hope restored.

Second bottle was under carbonated but improved. I'm rating these under carb'd at 5 - 6 out of 10. This one's a 6. Bottle #1 - 8.5.

JFN111
1st March 2014, 05:41 AM
Question for you beer guru's- Does this look like a good starter kit?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit-1.html
Also- I already have enamel canning pots, will these work as well as Stainless Steel pots?
Thanks

Libertytree
1st March 2014, 08:06 AM
Question for you beer guru's- Does this look like a good starter kit?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit-1.html
Also- I already have enamel canning pots, will these work as well as Stainless Steel pots?
Thanks

Welcome to homebrewing!

Yeah, looks like a great kit. I compared it to the ones sold at Northern Brewing and the Midwest kit is a better deal.

I used an enamel cook pot until I just recently upgraded due to increased batch size, it worked fine.

One note: The wing cappers that come with the kits suck. My very 1st upgrade was a vintage bottle capper and it continues to be one of my best investments for brewing. Here's an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Everedy-Bottle-Capper-w-Caps-/251462883284

Feel free to ask anything you might have questions about.

BrewTech
1st March 2014, 08:14 AM
i'm still holding the yeast responsible at this point. Could be old or something. The net tells me that safale -04 is slow. just came across that info on expiry so I thought I'd make a note. We have a large liquor chain and a couple big department stores selling coopers kits. A bit cheaper than at the LHBS for same. I think the turn over is pretty good but anyway worth remembering to check the use by date.

S-04 isn't slow, but it isn't very attenuative and flocculates quickly. When using it, especially on a big beer, I have started to blend it with US-05 to get better attenuation. If you think the yeast may be old, you might want to do a starter to revive the colony and bring up the healthy cell count.

When brewing with extracts, it is imperative to use only the freshest. Dry malt extract works well, and tends to last longer than LME.

JFN111
1st March 2014, 09:43 AM
Welcome to homebrewing!

Yeah, looks like a great kit. I compared it to the ones sold at Northern Brewing and the Midwest kit is a better deal.

I used an enamel cook pot until I just recently upgraded due to increased batch size, it worked fine.

One note: The wing cappers that come with the kits suck. My very 1st upgrade was a vintage bottle capper and it continues to be one of my best investments for brewing. Here's an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Everedy-Bottle-Capper-w-Caps-/251462883284

Feel free to ask anything you might have questions about.
Thanks, I hope to be able to join the discussion after I learn a bit more.

BrewTech
1st March 2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks, I hope to be able to join the discussion after I learn a bit more.

I would say that joining the discussion is one of the best ways to learn more. No need to wait!

Libertytree
1st March 2014, 01:07 PM
I agree with BT, join in on the fun JFN!

Glass
1st March 2014, 05:45 PM
JFN111 I also think that is a pretty good kit for the money. Its very good value IMO. I'm looking forward to hearing about your first brew.

As LT says upgrading the bottle capper will be something you do fairly soon. Its easier to have at least one hand on the bottle when you are capping it and those wing ones make it difficult for one person. I've been looking around for a 2nd hand one like in the link. I thought I might get one in a thrift store but nothing yet.

Glass
6th March 2014, 06:40 PM
Have had maybe 3 more bottles since the last post. 2 of them were same same. Not much going on. The 3rd one was how it should be IMO. Nice head, lots of carbonation. Good lacing. That makes 2 out of the 20 or so I have opened so far that were properly carbonated.

I think there are 9 bottles left. I will put 4 or 5 away for much later and to share with a couple people. They can see how my brewing is progressing.

I picked up another kit yesterday for KoB #4. I will do that one either tonight or tomorrow. It will be fairly cool tomorrow so it may be then.

BrewTech
7th March 2014, 06:58 AM
I've recovered everything in my homebrew system except for my fermenter...going to pick that up tomorrow. I guess I'm doing the demo brew for the LHBS at the same time, with the guy who took over when I moved away. Smoked Porter? I think that's what he said they wanted to make.

I think the doppelbock I made back in December is ready to go. Hopefully the one I made is better than last year's... yuck. I didn't make that one. LHBS owner thought it was great... and it was if you love the taste of band-aids... I didn't have the heart to tell him it was infected.

Looking forward to posting after I start making beer at home again... the two girls (ahem) that moved in down stairs are craft beer fans, and I think one works part time doing promotions for a brewery in Wisconsin, so they should be down to learn how to brew. There is a BBQ down in the common patio as well, so I can see it might make for a fun brewing spring/summer.

EE_
7th March 2014, 07:06 AM
Looking forward to posting after I start making beer at home again... the two girls (ahem) that moved in down stairs are craft beer fans, and I think one works part time doing promotions for a brewery in Wisconsin, so they should be down to learn how to brew. There is a BBQ down in the common patio as well, so I can see it might make for a fun brewing spring/summer.

http://www.crf2.com/images/smilies/groucho.gif

Sounds like you moved to San Diego and are loving it. It's definately one of my favorite places in this country. Best weather in the world, beautiful people and a friendly smaller town atmosphere. Great beaches too!

I lived near the Torre Pines area, off of La Jolla Village Dr., 5/6 years ago. I loved it!
Too bad I couldn't afford to retire there, I wouldn't have left it.

Jewboo
16th March 2014, 09:47 AM
When using it, especially on a big beer, I have started to blend it with US-05 to get better attenuation. If you think the yeast may be old, you might want to do a starter to revive the colony and bring up the healthy cell count.

When brewing with extracts, it is imperative to use only the freshest. Dry malt extract works well, and tends to last longer than LME.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9kemsakoN1rtr3kno1_500.png

:rolleyes:

JFN111
18th March 2014, 01:48 PM
Quick question for you guys. I'm going to bottle for the first time tomorrow. Made up a batch of English Ale and it looks like it's ready. When I move it from the carboy to the bottling container I need to add the sugar. I think I have that part down, dissolve the sugar with 1 cup boiling water and then let cool somewhat. Questions- How much is somewhat? Do you pour the sugar in and then siphon from the carboy or visa verse?
Thanks

Libertytree
18th March 2014, 02:30 PM
Quick question for you guys. I'm going to bottle for the first time tomorrow. Made up a batch of English Ale and it looks like it's ready. When I move it from the carboy to the bottling container I need to add the sugar. I think I have that part down, dissolve the sugar with 1 cup boiling water and then let cool somewhat. Questions- How much is somewhat? Do you pour the sugar in and then siphon from the carboy or visa verse?
Thanks

I mix mine in the bottling bucket. I don't even dissolve the sugar in water either. I would let the boiled sugar water cool to room temp.

Libertytree
18th March 2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks

Hey man, start a thread about your 1st brew with some details, please. We can all learn something and I'm curious about what tools and or kit you got.

Libertytree
18th March 2014, 03:28 PM
My First Batch of Beer is an Extra Special Bitter. Directions call for 1 week in Fermenter, 1 week in the Carboy, when your readings hold at 1.010 then bottle and let sit for two weeks.
I picked up the kit from Midwest Homebrewing Supply. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit-1.html
Using a cast Iron pot for the cooking.
Borrowed the chiller from the Son In Law (to Be) now affectionately called the Baby Daddy.

JFN, no disrespect intended but could you maybe make a new thread about this? This is Glasses' thread and besides your brewing cherry is getting popped and we want to share it with ya in its own right. Plus you can use it as a chronicle as you progress.

JFN111
18th March 2014, 05:27 PM
No problem. I'll start a new thread.

Glass
18th March 2014, 06:35 PM
I'm easy about posting here. I think it's cool we have more home brewers. Nice one JFN11. Looks like you went hard core from the get go. I'm keen to hear more.

Always good to have an experienced hand on deck to help everything go smoothly so thumbs up to the Future SIL.

I've nearly drunk all of the beers from this batch now. So I'm not sure I've got much more to add to this thread. Only 5 left and they won't be getting drunk for a while. Will save them for a relatives visit.

I had 2 more bottles from this batch. The first one was another flat one. Well its got enough fizz to tickle the back of the throat on the way down like the others. The second one was a gem. Nice full head. Good lacing. Same as the other "good" ones I've had. So I think that makes the count 3 or 4 good ones out of the 30. We will do better in the future. It is a sweet tasty tasty beer. You could easily hammer this one.

After I finished these two I went back to a store bought beer. Yuk. I got to get enough stocks going so I'm not buying store bought anymore. The difference is cheese to chalk....although personally I don't think there is much difference between chalk and cheese.

I want to do it again and add some citrus hops for taste and aroma. I think it would be a juicy juicy beer. That's kind of what it's like. Its the Juicy fruit of beers. It is a summer time beer.

Glass
31st March 2014, 03:16 AM
I have 4 of these left. I was going to share with friends 2 + 2 but the catchup could be a while. So very very thirsty.

This one is just about spot on now. About 1 week on the chill. Nice fizz, acceptable 1 and a bit finger head. Ok lacing and best of all visible healthy carbonation. It is less sweet tasting now. Less like lolly water and more like beer. There's some character there now. I think it is turning out. Tasty. I would say a bit more persistence on the head. Otherwise I might be disappointed that is nearly gone. More patience and they could have all been like that. No mind? There is more on the way.

I've picked up the ingredients I need to do KoB #5. I am going to see if I can do 2 brews. Probably a few days apart. I picked up some seals for the 2 fermenters but they are over size. The guy also said I need some new airlock grommets. I said no. I was wrong. I'll have to go back. Will pick up another beer kit when I do. KoB# 6 will be dark with some steeped grains.