PDA

View Full Version : A path to renouncing your citizenship - US experience

Glass
10th January 2014, 05:54 PM
This person, anonymous of course, renounced their US citizenship. Interesting. I know someone in a similar boat but no exact same. Haven't formally renounced but did Give Notice of being permanent ExPat. Currently runs 4 passports, 3 different citizenships and 3 drivers licenses, some of which are not from same countries as passports but some are. Uses appropriate passport for the destination.

But this person did this:

Guest Post: How I Renounced My US Citizenship And Why (Part 1)

(Editor's note: The following is a firsthand story of how and why a former US citizen—who kindly shared this information on condition of anonymity—decided to renounce his US citizenship. It's packed with practical advice and priceless insights into this momentous decision. Whether or not you take the ultimate step of renunciation, I believe you will find value from the author's experiences.)
By Citizen of the World
Having evolved philosophically in my adulthood to a fairly hardcore libertarian worldview, I had read the writings of people like Doug Casey, which encouraged people even some decades ago to take concrete steps to internationalize themselves. Not just "talk the talk," but to actually "walk the walk."

My professional career offered me the chance to travel abroad quitea bit, so it was not too difficult for me to begin taking baby steps to internationalize.

I rented an apartment in one of the Asian cities that I frequently visited. A few years later, I made my first overseas real estate purchase of a small apartment in another Asian city, followed by several more in the next few years.
By this time, I was managing to spend about 2/3 of each year outside the US—you could say that I waded into the pool, rather than just diving in.

The passage of the first of the three recent "exit tax" laws by Congress in 1996 had alerted me to how high-stakes the US government regarded full expatriation to be—and inclined me toward doing so.
I reasoned that if they were that anxious to discourage people from leaving, it might well be time to seriously consider doing so.

Still, for about another decade, I wasn't in a good position financially or logistically to do so, although I did begin seriously collecting more information about residency abroad, second passports, etc.

Shortly after my financial and logistical impediments cleared up, Ron Paul began achieving astounding success in the early phases of the 2008 presidential campaign. Encouraged once more at the prospect of there perhaps being a chance to turn things around after all, I put my international plans on hold and devoted nearly the entire first three quarters of the year to his campaign.
But the unremitting ferocity with which mainstream Republicans opposed our every effort led me to renew my efforts to abandon the sinking ship.

Another imperative for me has been the maxim "silence implies consent"—that is, by not acting (especially now that I was in a reasonably good position to do so) to separate myself from the manifest evils of the regime in DC, I would continue granting it my consent.

So, believing at that time (incorrectly, as it turns out) that you had to have another passport before you could give up US citizenship, I settled on the economic citizenship of the Commonwealth of Dominica, which is the quickest legitimate and least-expensive way to clear that hurdle.

I engaged a US-based consultant/agent to undertake the process of applying for Dominica's program—something I definitely recommend.

More from ZH (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-10/guest-post-how-i-renounced-my-us-citizenship-and-why-part-1)

palani
10th January 2014, 06:22 PM
It has been said that if you never have filed an IRS form then you have no reason to worry.

That idea coupled with the concept that you may change your identity at any time by common law and all you have to do is create a name that is not registered and that no paperwork exists for and go from there. As long as there is no intent to defraud anyone then who has any right to complain?

Glass
10th January 2014, 08:39 PM
i think when reading the law about renouncing citizen ship it has some thing about you needing to have another one to go to. You cannot just cease being a citizen of the ship America and not take up citizen ship elsewhere. Now that is code and as we know there is a lot of discussion about jurisdiction of such things.

Like you it would seem to me that to follow the code would defeat the purpose of being a non citizen. The other thing I picked up on in that read was the necessity of a passport top travel. While not necessarily the only document, it have become the default document for people seeking to travel and have safe passage. I posted the inside cover the the passport I have which has a "Plea" from the Queen of England to allow the bearer safe passage and afford assistance if required.

So to me, again it appears to be type a document that anyone could do. It simply has a 3rd party vouching for the bearer as a kind of bona fides. I think the main purpose of having citizen ship is to ensure that you are not lost at sea.

milehi
10th January 2014, 08:41 PM
In the comments section of the article, readers flush out the author as a shill, but the comments are worth reading for tips and tricks to living abroad and renouncing your citizenship.

Glass
10th January 2014, 09:47 PM
I don't see that they do. Can you please post which ones?

As I said, I know someone in this boat where they have acquired other citizen ship. Of course you could possibly have more than one citizen ship on the go at one time. Most of the congressional USA does this from what I understand. I actually have no proof it is most of them, but certainly many.

ShortJohnSilver
11th January 2014, 02:45 AM
Couple of questions: can you renounce your Federal citizenship but remain a citizen of your state?

Why the F*** do you have to fill out a form (placing yourself under their jurisdiction) in order to renounce or relinquish? Sounds stupid. Show up, tell them in 30 days you will be back to renounce. Show up 30 days later with a letter you have signed and now, hand delivered.

palani
11th January 2014, 04:32 AM
can you renounce your Federal citizenship but remain a citizen of your state?

More to the point: Can you perform the act of renunciation on something you don't have?

Seems to me that performing a prescribed list of actions laid out for you to renounce citizenship would be proof that you considered yourself one at one time. Any evidence that you are or are not a citizen will only be provided by you and you alone. Trying to go to battle with a concept that is fictional is a never ending process.

If accused of being a citizen of anywhere all you have to do is ask for written proof that you have been naturalized. Lay the burden on the party doing the accusing.

govcheetos
11th January 2014, 02:37 PM
You cannot just cease being a citizen of the ship America and not take up citizen ship elsewhere.
I think the main purpose of having citizen ship is to ensure that you are not lost at sea.

Lost at sea. A vessel lost is one that has totally gone from it's owners against their will, so that they know nothing of it, whether it exists or not, or one which they know is no longer within their use and control, either in consequence of capture by enemies or pirates, or an unknown foundering, or sinking by a known storm, or collision, or destruction by shipwreck.

While I agree with Larkin Rose in theory a lot, I do find him annoying as hell. I don't know, maybe his voice or something. He should let his hot busty blonde wife do the videos for him, he'd get a lot farther with me anyway. Around 1:35 int his short video from him though I feel hits the nail on the head without too much of him talking.

Relates runaway citizens with runaway slaves which I think both should be prepared to hide out in the swamp. The king's/master's men don't appreciate you evading them and their search party and will be pissed when they eventually find you.

The Jones Plantation

http://youtu.be/vb8Rj5xkDPk