PDA

View Full Version : I have a nocturnal animal coming around .

zap
20th January 2014, 09:42 AM
I have never in 25 years had a raccoon around here, but the last 2 or 3 nights something is coming around, Friday night the dog was barking but I couldn't see anything, then in the morning when I went out to feed the chickens,the barrel was knocked over and most of the feed was gone and just a big mess down there.

I cleaned everything up, then last night he was barking again but it was 2 in the morning and I was to lazy/tired to get up and go look, just went down there and the 30 gal barrel was down the road a piece, I looked for tracks cant really see anything, I don't see any teeth makes on the barrel.

Also I had a dead cat nearby I just haven't moved it down the canyon and whatever came up took it and just made a mess of it just fur all over.

Any Ideas??

brosil
20th January 2014, 09:55 AM
Don't go outside without a real gun.I don't think raccoons move barrels.

zap
20th January 2014, 09:58 AM
What the heck could it be then?

Libertytree
20th January 2014, 10:12 AM
I agree, I wouldn't go out there without a gun.

Some questions though.....

How full was the 30 gal barrel? Is it the one with chicken feed in it? Does it have a lid or just an open barrel? When you say down the road do you also mean down hill?

One coon might not be able to do that, depending on how full the barrel was, but 2 or 3 coons acting together can pull a lot of crafty shit.

zap
20th January 2014, 10:24 AM
It was 1/2 full maybe 25 pounds of chicken feed ( coons eat chicken feed?), and they moved it quite a ways 40 ft. no lid on it, but like I said 25 years and no coons around here, but remember last year zap killed 2 opossums and I had never seen them up here either.

also up the road a few weeks ago , I had a nice roaster stainless and its pretty heavy maybe 10 pounds, I left it up the road by the cats with the turkey carcass in it, and when I went to get it a couple of days later I couldn't find it , I found it behind another shed, 20 ft away.

mick silver
20th January 2014, 11:38 AM
raccoon stew

ximmy
20th January 2014, 11:59 AM
http://www.monsterbashnews.com/Morepics/TalesOfTheMoleman.jpg EEK!

Libertytree
20th January 2014, 12:06 PM
The reason I asked about your feed storage is that coons and possums while not interested in the feed are interested in the rats, squirels etc that do like the feed. The coons and possums will also kill a chicken, chicks and eat eggs.

gunDriller
20th January 2014, 12:16 PM
What the heck could it be then?

Chupacabra ?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121002102748/powerlisting/images/2/2e/Chupacabra.gif

mamboni
20th January 2014, 01:02 PM
Had similar issues - it was a bear in my case, brown bear.

govcheetos
20th January 2014, 01:18 PM
I'd go out with a bright flash light and a gun with the dog next time I heard a sound.

Coons will work in teams together.

Lots of them out this time of year due to MLK day.

zap
20th January 2014, 02:10 PM
Well I went to town and bought more chicken feed, going to wire the barrel to the corner post and in a spot I have a clear view, (bright flash light and gun ready) and put the food in, we'll see what happens tonight.

And if they are coons where the hell did they come from , I have never saw any here ever! They travel around?

Libertytree
20th January 2014, 02:20 PM
Both coons and possums travel around/migrate. I still would like to know if you have a very secure lid for your barrel?

zap
20th January 2014, 02:32 PM
Both coons and possums travel around/migrate. I still would like to know if you have a very secure lid for your barrel?

No lid on the barrel, But I will go to the shop and find something, will they go away then? or do I need to kill em?

Hell I dont even know what it is yet!

EE_
20th January 2014, 02:39 PM
Coyotes?
With the drought, food might be getting scarce. A lot of animals start roaming to find food.
Shoot em'

Libertytree
20th January 2014, 02:40 PM
You really need to get that secured! No sense feeding the mice/rats and they may be drawing other varmits there as well. The mice/rats can spread crap to your chickens as well. When the food source runs out they'll go somewhere else where there's easily obtainable food.

Sandblaster
20th January 2014, 02:54 PM
Do you have a trail cam you can set to try for a photo op?

Norweger
20th January 2014, 02:58 PM
Get a trail camera.

osoab
20th January 2014, 03:07 PM
Dynamite. ;D

zap
20th January 2014, 03:45 PM
You really need to get that secured! No sense feeding the mice/rats and they may be drawing other varmits there as well. The mice/rats can spread crap to your chickens as well. When the food source runs out they'll go somewhere else where there's easily obtainable food.

LOL LT it is scecured, but since I have all these wild cats around, I havent had any problems with mice at all, and those chickens are just pets now she wont let me kill em so I will just feed them til they die of old age.

I have a trail camera and I put batteries in it and nope it wont power on! Dam I thought I had more then one I am going to go looking around.

I found a security camera, hooked it to my bedroom tv, yay !

maybe find out what it is tonight.

willie pete
20th January 2014, 05:46 PM
are/were there any kind of tracks? foot/paw prints anywhere? some type of inexpensive nightvision device would be very helpful, check to see if they're legal in CA first

Ponce
20th January 2014, 05:49 PM
That was probably my fat ass of a dog......he got out last night and refused to come back, I knew that I was gssmoing to whip his ass with a radio antenna. This morning he was back in his huch and all that you could see was his nose and eyes under his electric blanket, finally found out how he was getting out..........smart fat ass.

V

midnight rambler
20th January 2014, 06:31 PM
Did you ever get a Ruger SR22 pistol with a flashlight/laser like I suggested?

zap
20th January 2014, 07:35 PM
Did you ever get a Ruger SR22 pistol with a flashlight/laser like I suggested?

No I did not, I shoulda and need to, but there is always so much to do, hell I can't even find a superbright flashlight ( kinda bright not bright enough)

I am going to throw a big box of them in the garbage.

Horn
20th January 2014, 08:19 PM
Not a skunk.

Glass
20th January 2014, 10:31 PM
I'm putting odds on it being a jabberwocky

zap
22nd January 2014, 05:18 PM
Well still haven't seen my critter, ordered another game cam. But I am thinking it might be a badger, we do have badgers around here. I looked at the tracks again just a couple of them and yep I think its a badger.

I don't mind badgers there mean little bastards, but I would rather have that then raccoon's.

Cebu_4_2
22nd January 2014, 05:29 PM
Well still haven't seen my critter, ordered another game cam. But I am thinking it might be a badger, we do have badgers around here. I looked at the tracks again just a couple of them and yep I think its a badger.

I don't mind badgers there mean little bastards, but I would rather have that then raccoon's.

Not if you lived in a tent.

EE_
22nd January 2014, 05:53 PM

I'd rather it be a badger too.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/lion.html
You may be attracting mountain lions to your property without knowing it!

More than half of California is mountain lion habitat. Mountain lions generally exist wherever deer are found. They are solitary and elusive, and their nature is to avoid humans.

Mountain lions prefer deer but, if allowed, they also eat pets and livestock. In extremely rare cases, even people have fallen prey to mountain lions.

Mountain lions that threaten people are immediately killed. Those that prey on pets or livestock can be killed by a property owner after the required depredation permit is secured. Moving problem mountain lions is not an option. It causes deadly conflicts with other mountain lions already there. Or the relocated mountain lion returns.

Help prevent deadly conflicts with these beautiful wild animals.

Living in Mountain Lion Country

Don’t feed deer; it is illegal in California and it will attract mountain lions.
Deer-proof your landscaping by avoiding plants that deer like to eat. For tips, request A Gardener’s Guide to Preventing Deer Damage from DFG offices.
Trim brush to reduce hiding places for mountain lions.
Don’t leave small children or pets outside unattended.
Install motion-sensitive lighting around the house.
Provide sturdy, covered shelters for sheep, goats, and other vulnerable animals.
Don’t allow pets outside when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
Bring pet food inside to avoid attracting raccoons, opossums and other potential mountain lion prey.

Identifying Mountain Lion Tracks
The mountain lion track on the left can be distinguished from the dog track on the right by the absence of toenail prints and by the “M” shaped pad

Staying Safe in Mountain Lion Country

Mountain lions are quiet, solitary and elusive, and typically avoid people.

Mountain lion attacks on humans are extremely rare. However, conflicts are increasing as California’s human population expands into mountain lion habitat.

Do not hike, bike, or jog alone.
Avoid hiking or jogging when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
Keep a close watch on small children.
Do not approach a mountain lion.
If you encounter a mountain lion, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to look bigger by waving your arms; throw rocks or other objects. Pick up small children.
If attacked, fight back.
If a mountain lion attacks a person,
immediately call 911.

zap
22nd January 2014, 06:24 PM
We do have mountain lions up here I have seen em and behind me on a ranch they got pics on on game cam of 2 of them at the trough in the middle of the day last year, no mountain lion tracks, little 3 toed tracks.