PDA

View Full Version : Chickens are like Children - They don't like eating the Crust Either !

gunDriller
1st February 2014, 10:50 AM
My chickens are acting like some people.

As farm animals, they're SUPPOSED to scarf down whatever people-food tidbits I give them.

In this case, wheat bread soaked in Bacon Fat.

You would think they would eat the whole thing.

But no, time and again - they eat the inside soft part but not the outside - just like people do !

http://s403998394.onlinehome.us/IMG_0168-chick.jpg

Cebu_4_2
1st February 2014, 11:14 AM
Rhode Island Reds, those by far are the gentlest chickens I ever had. They still pick moles off your legs if your not watching.

Heimdhal
2nd February 2014, 07:19 AM
Thats too funny. Our chickens will eat anything! I can standt still around them or they start picking at my feet (I wear sandals a lot). They steal styrofoam packing
peanuts out of my work shop and fight over them until I can manage to catch the one that has and take it away. Damn chickens. Its like watching them play football though, its pretty funny.

gunDriller
2nd February 2014, 08:48 AM
Thats too funny. Our chickens will eat anything! I can standt still around them or they start picking at my feet (I wear sandals a lot). They steal styrofoam packing
peanuts out of my work shop and fight over them until I can manage to catch the one that has and take it away. Damn chickens. Its like watching them play football though, its pretty funny.

I've been tempted to stage a Chicken 500, though it was better when I had 3 chickens. One of them got eaten by a fox.

If I give them a small amount of a favorite food, one of them will grab it, and then the other 2 chickens will chase it. Then they try to grab the food away. When another one get the food, then it is the lead chicken in the race. It's much better with 3 chickens. It's like watching really drunk people play rugby or something.

As far as the bread goes, it helps to make the food more chewable (by a bird). They have 2 primary techniques for eating food, pecking and grabbing. When they grab something and shake their heads, when a piece comes off, the larger piece goes flying while they deal with the small piece.

I imagine it's similar when an Eagle eats live prey.

How would you like to be eaten by a 20 foot tall Eagle ? They don't provide anaesthetics. :)