PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a cop fails to recognize the 'special' status of other cops

midnight rambler
12th February 2014, 03:15 PM
We're special and we have privileges those lowly 'civilians' don't have - if you don't afford all of us 'professional courtesy' as necessary then we'll put so much heat on you that YOU will know that YOU don't deserve our special status...gotta go along to get along, no matter what. No matter what.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/12/officer-who-issued-120-mph-ticket-suing-police-harassment/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Publico
12th February 2014, 06:24 PM
Professional courtesy stops at reckless driving.

midnight rambler
12th February 2014, 06:42 PM
Professional courtesy stops at reckless driving.

Obviously you're not a cop.

When I was doing ridealongs many moons ago my cop buddy I was riding with drove 115 mph 'code 3' down a very crowded interstate at 9:30 PM on a Sat. night (posted speed limit was 55 mph). Was there a shootout involving another cop that he was responding to?? No, he did it simply 'cause he could, he was responding as backup to a domestic disturbance - there were a couple of other cops there already as backup when we arrived (PD policy was then as it is now, when running lights and siren do not exceed posted speed limit by 10 mph).

BTW, I would also attend their little 'after work parties' where they would gather under an overpass somewhere directly after they got off work and suck down several Miller Lites before all hopping in their cars and driving home (I didn't drink a drop, I was just there to hang out/observe - at their invitation, I could have imbibed if I chose to). This is the mentally that has always persisted among them, that they're above the law.

Glass
12th February 2014, 10:22 PM
everyone has a common law Duty of Care and there is no immunity from that for anyone. Everyone is subject to it. You cannot get statutory immunity from common law. You may get statutory indemnity but that is not the same.

Hitch
13th February 2014, 05:36 AM
BTW, I would also attend their little 'after work parties' where they would gather under an overpass somewhere directly after they got off work and suck down several Miller Lites before all hopping in their cars and driving home (I didn't drink a drop, I was just there to hang out/observe - at their invitation, I could have imbibed if I chose to). This is the mentally that has always persisted among them, that they're above the law.

Midnight, you are bang on with this thread. Did you do your ride alongs during 3rd watch? That's what I worked. We'd get off around 2 am or so. The cops used to do that, drink beer under an overpass after work, just like you posted. That ended before my time though. I never did that. They would then get in their cars and drive 100 mph on the way home.

I look back on the code 3 driving I did, and it honestly makes me nervous thinking about it. Thank God I never hurt anyone. For example, I was chasing a car in one instance, completely caught air launching over a railroad track. All 4 tires were off the ground as I was approaching a crowded intersection. The anti lock brakes were groaning after I landed trying to slow down before the intersection.

I've got a lot of stories that apply to this thread, could go on and on.