PDA

View Full Version : Californians Refuse to Turn In Newly-Banned Magazines

Ares
11th March 2014, 07:05 AM
Despite a new city law in Sunnyvale, Cali., requiring gun owners get rid of their so-called “high capacity” magazines or face fines or arrest, none of the owners of said magazines have turned them in to police.

At midnight on Thursday, Sunnyvale began implementing a new law that requires residents with rifle magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition to dispose of them or else, but the law reportedly failed to produce the intended effect.

“The Oakland Tribune reported Saturday that since Sunnyvale’s ban went into effect midnight Thursday, not one of the now-illegal magazines has been turned in,” the Associated Press reports.

In Sunnyvale, a person caught with a “high capacity” magazine could be subject to a misdemeanor fine of up to $1,000, six months in jail, or both. The city is one of two Californian communities promoting a ban on magazines, the other being San Francisco, whose ban is set to take effect April 7.

While it’s possible gun owners are openly defying the law, as many have done in Connecticut, it is also possible gun owners are holding out to make a profit or break even.

“Owners had the choice of allowing police to destroy the magazines, sell them out of state or to a licensed gun dealer, or move them out of town,” writes Josh Richman for the Oakland Tribune.

One Sunnyvale resident told Richman he had never been in trouble with the law, but that the new ordinance would have turned him into a criminal overnight.

“I’ve lived here in Sunnyvale for more than 40 years and I’ve never had so much as a parking ticket,” Leonard Fyock, a 67-year-old Sunnyvale resident, stated.

Fyock said he was able to get his magazines out of town before the ban took effect, but that he hopes “somewhere down the line this will get overturned.”

Though the law technically criminalizes anyone in possession of the newly-banned magazines, the city is still encouraging people to show up to the police station and hand them over.

“Barring any unusual circumstances, we wouldn’t cite people for voluntarily turning in their large-capacity magazines to public safety even though it is legally possible at this time to cite them,” city spokeswoman Jennifer Garnett said.

Former Sunnyvale Mayor Tony Spitaleri, the prime mover of the law, acknowledged the ban essentially criminalizes law-abiding citizens and that the law is flawed because anybody who wants to could transport a “high-capacity” magazine into city limits. Still, he thinks the city will be better off. “It doesn’t move the needle – yet, but it always starts somewhere,” Spitaleri said.

Though the measure banning magazines passed with a 67 percent vote last year, the lack of residents who have complied speaks volumes, and may highlight the American people’s frustration with unconstitutional mandates.

The NRA is appealing the law with the Supreme Court after California’s 9th Circuit denied their request for an emergency hold on the law.

http://www.infowars.com/californians-refuse-to-turn-in-newly-banned-magazines/

palani
11th March 2014, 07:53 AM
Do you understand the consequences of this law? On the face it appears as if the first nine rounds come with an exemption while succeeding rounds come with a BIG penalty.

So ... if you should happen to decide to become a mass murderer best set your goal at nine fatalities because you could REALLY be in BIG TROUBLE if you shoot more than that with the same magazine.

You might be able to extend that to ten fatalities if you argue that you always keep one in the pipe and limit your magazine to nine rounds no matter the actual capacity.

Ponce
11th March 2014, 09:13 AM
If turn in even one magazine that means that you have at least one firearm for that magazine.......they will visit you for that firearm.

V

Spectrism
11th March 2014, 09:31 AM
But the police are allowed to have anything.... so they are not subject to the same laws.

Twisted Titan
11th March 2014, 12:26 PM
While it’s possible gun owners are openly defying the law, as many have done in Connecticut, it is also possible gun owners are holding out to make a profit or break even.

Yep.

Im looking to hock my freedom and ability to protect my family and property for a few dollars more.

midnight rambler
11th March 2014, 12:30 PM
But the police are allowed to have anything.... so they are not subject to the same laws.

You know of course it's the Golden Rule - those with the gold make the rules so naturally their errand boys are exempt.

Ares
11th March 2014, 12:33 PM

Yep.

Im looking to hock my freedom and ability to protect my family and property for a few dollars more.

Quite possible what some of them are doing. But I'm sure there are others that won't turn them in or sell them no matter at what cost. I think it's very telling that not a single magazine has been turned in.

I actually got called for a job offer out in Sunnyvale CA last week. After the lady goes through and explains all the pay and benefits including relocation assistance (which was quite generous). I said no thank you, I'm not interested. To her shock, she asked why. I said California itself is a financially troubled state. It has oppressive taxation, regulation and ranks 47th out of 50 for the free-est states in the Union. I couldn't in good conscience move my family to a state that I constantly read about people wanting to leave that state. I said thank you for considering me for the opportunity, I do appreciate that.. She sounded despondent and said okay, thanks..

I've got a fair amount of 30 round magazines. I won't turn them, hand them over, or sell them. I know whats at stake.

mick silver
11th March 2014, 01:15 PM
push push push thats all the know how , remember you guys took a oath when you were sworn in to office

iOWNme
11th March 2014, 02:06 PM
What do you call people who use their own conscience and free will to decide if they should obey a 'law' or not?

Ponce
11th March 2014, 06:13 PM
What do you call people who use their own conscience and free will to decide if they should obey a 'law' or not?

Terrorists?

V

Ares
11th March 2014, 06:21 PM
Terrorists?

V

Well if you're from the government that's how you would view any of them. lol

Hitch
11th March 2014, 07:59 PM
Quite possible what some of them are doing. But I'm sure there are others that won't turn them in or sell them no matter at what cost. I think it's very telling that not a single magazine has been turned in.

I actually got called for a job offer out in Sunnyvale CA last week. After the lady goes through and explains all the pay and benefits including relocation assistance (which was quite generous). I said no thank you, I'm not interested. To her shock, she asked why. I said California itself is a financially troubled state. It has oppressive taxation, regulation and ranks 47th out of 50 for the free-est states in the Union. I couldn't in good conscience move my family to a state that I constantly read about people wanting to leave that state. I said thank you for considering me for the opportunity, I do appreciate that.. She sounded despondent and said okay, thanks..

I've got a fair amount of 30 round magazines. I won't turn them, hand them over, or sell them. I know whats at stake.

While I respect your decision, CA really is a beautiful state. If you worked in Sunnyvale though, you'd have to commute from somewhere out of the city (Bay Area as a whole).

While CA may rank very low in freedoms, you don't feel it that much if you get out of the cities. This thread is specifically about one city in CA, not the whole state.

Furthermore, regarding gun laws, statewide there's steps in the right direction. The big talk now is the relaxing of conceal carry laws. A coworker of mine is now going through the application process to get a carry permit. If he succeeds, I will try to as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/27/surge-in-concealed-weapon-permits-follows-california-court-second-amendment/

Shami-Amourae
11th March 2014, 08:02 PM
While I respect your decision, CA really is a beautiful state. If you worked in Sunnyvale though, you'd have to commute from somewhere out of the city (Bay Area as a whole).

While CA may rank very low in freedoms, you don't feel it that much if you get out of the cities. This thread is specifically about one city in CA, not the whole state.

Furthermore, regarding gun laws, statewide there's steps in the right direction. The big talk now is the relaxing of conceal carry laws. A coworker of mine is now going through the application process to get a carry permit. If he succeeds, I will try to as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/27/surge-in-concealed-weapon-permits-follows-california-court-second-amendment/

It's not worth saving. Freedom minded people are better coming to Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. We need these states to have a strong base of Liberty lovers so we may be able to achieve our own nation and homeland one day.

mick silver
11th March 2014, 08:05 PM
lots of people dont run when there a fight starts . and i am one that dont run , been in more bad places in this world and didnt run then so why start now , been in fights were just a few walk off , didnt run . so why do you like running . some will say ky not worth saving but i want care what they say , iam not running .

Hitch
11th March 2014, 08:14 PM
It's not worth saving. Freedom minded people are better coming to Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. We need these states to have a strong base of Liberty lovers so we may be able to achieve our own nation and homeland one day.

California is my home. This small sea town I live in, I'm home. It's where I want to be.

There's a lot of freedom minded people here, you just need to get out of the cities to see it. As I said earlier, I'm watching and hoping the best for my coworker to get his conceal permit. If he gets it, I'm applying for mine. Did you read that link I posted? It's a step in the right direction. I especially like the guy wearing the "tyranny response team" t-shirt, just awesome. Gives me hope.

Shami-Amourae
11th March 2014, 08:17 PM
California is my home. This small sea town I live in, I'm home. It's where I want to be.

There's a lot of freedom minded people here, you just need to get out of the cities to see it. As I said earlier, I'm watching and hoping the best for my coworker to get his conceal permit. If he gets it, I'm applying for mine. Did you read that link I posted? It's a step in the right direction. I especially like the guy wearing the "tyranny response team" t-shirt, just awesome. Gives me hope.

I know about it. I have a friend back in California who is trying to get a CCW permit too.

mick silver
11th March 2014, 08:18 PM
hitch only 10% will make the stand . you will know the ones that will run they talk about running

EE_
12th March 2014, 03:21 AM

I agree, Ares might be selling CA short. It is a beautiful place. As screwed up as CA is, there's still something about it that draws you to it. The people, the places and lots to do.

There's lots of liberty loving people that hate liberal's in CA. I personally never paid any attention to any of their fag BS liberal laws. I carried a firearm always.

One thing I liked about living there, nobody could tell if you were nuts, because everyone is nuts in CA. lol I fit right in and always felt like I was home.
Oh, you do get used to Mexicans going through your trash cans at 4:00 in the morning, helicoptors flying overhead, fire trucks/ambulances and loud mariachi music on car radios at night.

As far as working there, there's some pretty good wages to be had that more then off-set the CA living expenses, compared to most places.

Retiring there is another story. Unless you bought your home in the the 90's or earlier, or have it paid off...the property taxes can eat you alive. I suppose you could live out in Riverside pretty cheap with the Beaners and Bangers, but for me CA is all about living near the coastal areas.

As for this Fuku radiation/500 yr. drought...we'll have to see how it plays out?

My screen saver
I took this photo in Trinidad, CA

Ares
12th March 2014, 05:58 AM
I agree, Ares might be selling CA short. It is a beautiful place. As screwed up as CA is, there's still something about it that draws you to it. The people, the places and lots to do.

There's lots of liberty loving people that hate liberal's in CA. I personally never paid any attention to any of their fag BS liberal laws. I carried a firearm always.

One thing I liked about living there, nobody could tell if you were nuts, because everyone is nuts in CA. lol I fit right in and always felt like I was home.
Oh, you do get used to Mexicans going through your trash cans at 4:00 in the morning, helicoptors flying overhead, fire trucks/ambulances and loud mariachi music on car radios at night.

As far as working there, there's some pretty good wages to be had that more then off-set the CA living expenses, compared to most places.

Retiring there is another story. Unless you bought your home in the the 90's or earlier, or have it paid off...the property taxes can eat you alive. I suppose you could live out in Riverside pretty cheap with the Beaners and Bangers, but for me CA is all about living near the coastal areas.

As for this Fuku radiation/500 yr. drought...we'll have to see how it plays out?

My screen saver
I took this photo in Trinidad, CA

I've got friends I was in the military with that work in and around Sunnyvale (Which is part of Silicone Valley) who have been wanting to leave for years. Every weapon I own would be illegal in that state. If I was younger and dumber and had the technical experience that I do now, that would of been a dream job. In the late 90's early 2000's Silicone valley is where I wanted to be. But grown up, and seeing that there are better more free states to live and work I'll go where they pay well, and respect my inalienable rights. I've been looking in Montana / Wyoming for Computer work. But pickings are slim in those states... lol

I've been to CA many times, and it is a beautiful state. But my principles prevent me from compromising with the communist who have claimed that state as their own.

EE_
12th March 2014, 07:22 AM
I've got friends I was in the military with that work in and around Sunnyvale (Which is part of Silicone Valley) who have been wanting to leave for years. Every weapon I own would be illegal in that state. If I was younger and dumber and had the technical experience that I do now, that would of been a dream job. In the late 90's early 2000's Silicone valley is where I wanted to be. But grown up, and seeing that there are better more free states to live and work I'll go where they pay well, and respect my inalienable rights. I've been looking in Montana / Wyoming for Computer work. But pickings are slim in those states... lol

I've been to CA many times, and it is a beautiful state. But my principles prevent me from compromising with the communist who have claimed that state as their own.

Okay, but you're missing out on the excitement of driving from 70 mph to 0 mph every 500 feet and then sitting for 15 minutes, then 70 to 0 again, on your morning/evening commutes. You almost get a buzz from the exhaust/diesel fumes as a bonus. It's hard on your brakes and transmission though.

Ares
12th March 2014, 07:33 AM
Okay, but you're missing out on the excitement of driving from 70 mph to 0 mph every 500 feet and then sitting for 15 minutes, then 70 to 0 again, on your morning/evening commutes. You almost get a buzz from the exhaust/diesel fumes as a bonus. It's hard on your brakes and transmission though.

You haven't been on the 485 around Charlotte then huh? I do that every day..... LOL

Twisted Titan
12th March 2014, 08:00 AM
lots of people dont run when there a fight starts . and i am one that dont run , been in more bad places in this world and didnt run then so why start now , been in fights were just a few walk off , didnt run . so why do you like running . some will say ky not worth saving but i want care what they say , iam not running .

http://youtu.be/jpUVQ_z6Zcs

EE_
12th March 2014, 08:43 AM
You haven't been on the 485 around Charlotte then huh? I do that every day..... LOL

But Charlotte doesn't have the lifestyle of California or the great values by which children are raised.

Watch this vid for a brief look how you and your kids could be living in paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaXd8ChGxYY

Ares
12th March 2014, 08:52 AM
But Charlotte doesn't have the lifestyle of California or the great values by which children are raised.

Watch this vid for a brief look how you and your kids could be living in paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaXd8ChGxYY

Nope, I'll pass. :) lol

EE_
12th March 2014, 08:55 AM
Nope, I'll pass. :) lol

The end of that vid is just disturbing.