PDA

View Full Version : Bottle conditioning yeast

Libertytree
11th March 2014, 10:38 AM
Like Glass, my carbonation needs to be amped up a bit but obviously not so much that there's a major mess to deal with.

As of now I'm batch priming by using 1/2 cup of sugar per 5 gals, out of my bottling bucket. It still seems to lack IMO, sooooooo......it seems like it's either lack of enough sugar or the yeast has flocculated/settled at the bottom of the fermenter below the spigot and is not making it into the bottle or too minimally. Just my speculations.

It would seem that just adding more sugar might sweeten the batch so much so that it could be a failure, especially if there's not enough yeast in the bottles to convert to C02.

How to rectify this? 1. Can I just merely shake the hell out of the fermenter at some point before bottling, thus stirring up the settled yeast or am I begging for a mega cloudy batch? 2. Add more sugar and stir up the settled yeast. Or, 3 try this that I just found at Norther Brewer.

Danstar Cask and Bottle Conditioning Ale Yeast

A yeast strain designed to ensure adequate carbonation in kegs, casks, or bottles.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/245x245/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/0/y024.jpg (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/0/y024.jpg)

A saccaharomyces cerevisiae yeast culture specifically chosen for it's refermentation quality and performance, this dried yeast is perfectly suited for priming and conditioning in casks, bottles, or kegs. Alcohol tolerance is high, at 12-14%ABV. This yeast can also be used for primary fermentation or slow or sluggish fermentations. When used for priming, dextrose (corn sugar) works best - this yeast does not metabolize maltotriose, so wort is not an ideal priming agent. Recommended inoculation rate is 2 grams per 5 gallons, or approximately 1/2 tsp.

BrewTech
11th March 2014, 10:58 AM
Unless you are filtering, there are plenty of yeast present for bottle conditioning, provided the right amount was pitched and the yeast are in good shape after fermentation. If underpitched, the yeast will be stressed, and adding yeast would be a good idea. Give this yeast a try, and let us know how it goes.

Libertytree
11th March 2014, 11:08 AM
Unless you are filtering, there are plenty of yeast present for bottle conditioning, provided the right amount was pitched and the yeast are in good shape after fermentation. If underpitched, the yeast will be stressed, and adding yeast would be a good idea. Give this yeast a try, and let us know how it goes.

I don't think I underpitched and would probably only use this as an add on for bottle conditioning, keeping the priming sugar the same. Is this a viable solution and have you seen it done?

Glass
11th March 2014, 06:47 PM
good topic. I've been looking into other brands of yeast as well. The one thing I will say for SafAle yeast is that the smell is much milder than the Coopers yeast. When I used Coopers on Monday I noticed the smell. When I drank KoB #1 which was fermented with it, I mentioned a smell on opening the bottles. This smell is not present with the 2 SafAle brews but of course both seem lightly carbonated. I'm sounding like a broken record sorry.

I am keen to try another yeast. I think that is the brand I had in mind to try. Something called Danstar from memory. I'm not sure. I cant find a book mark of the write up I read. Sounded like it goes a bit better than SafAle.

I've also wondered about stirring up the yeast a bit before bottling. Rocking the fermenter doesn't work well. I really need a stir stick. I'm wondering if I left a stir stick in the fermenter for the whole ferment then slip the hand in and give it a quick swirl before bottling. Let it settle some and get into bottling.

Libertytree
11th March 2014, 07:22 PM
Maybe I or yaw'll are misunderstanding? What I'm suggesting/talking about is yeast presented at bottling time, not for primary fermentation.

Glass
11th March 2014, 11:22 PM
yes probably.

woodman
12th March 2014, 04:45 AM
I have never once had a problem with yeast not priming my beer. In my opinion, you are not putting enough sugar in at priming for the amount of carbonation you desire. The small amount of sugar, 3\4 cup per 5 gal, will certainly not sweeten your beer. Half a cup of corn sugar is a little light on the carbonation, I believe. I'm just going by memory here, I haven't made a batch of beer in quite a while. I think for English style carbonation, you are right on the money. If you are getting any carbonation at all, this means the yeast is present and active and simply not getting enough sugar to provide the desired co2. I've got books but going by memory, the experts all seem to differ slightly on the amount of priming sugar. Amp it up.

BrewTech
12th March 2014, 07:03 AM
good topic. I've been looking into other brands of yeast as well. The one thing I will say for SafAle yeast is that the smell is much milder than the Coopers yeast. When I used Coopers on Monday I noticed the smell. When I drank KoB #1 which was fermented with it, I mentioned a smell on opening the bottles. This smell is not present with the 2 SafAle brews but of course both seem lightly carbonated. I'm sounding like a broken record sorry.

I am keen to try another yeast. I think that is the brand I had in mind to try. Something called Danstar from memory. I'm not sure. I cant find a book mark of the write up I read. Sounded like it goes a bit better than SafAle.

I've also wondered about stirring up the yeast a bit before bottling. Rocking the fermenter doesn't work well. I really need a stir stick. I'm wondering if I left a stir stick in the fermenter for the whole ferment then slip the hand in and give it a quick swirl before bottling. Let it settle some and get into bottling.

If you are going to go with a Danstar yeast I would recommend Nottingham; I think it will provide you with the beer you are looking for. It used to be what came in almost all of the Brewer's Best extract kits (LD Carlson). I've used it and it works well.

As for stirring the yeast... you don't need to. Even in a bright beer (that has not been filtered), there can be up to several thousnd cells/ml remaining in solution, which is ample to provide carbonation provided they are in good health. This is where yeast starters become a really good idea, especially when using dry yeast, to ensure healthy yeast at the right numbers.

As for the smell of the beer, I can't really speak to that as I haven't experienced it directly. If it smells like butterscotch, it is diacetyl. Underpitching, yeast stress, and microbial infection will cause this to be present in the finished beer. Normally the yeast produce it and then clean it up again at the end of fermentation, but certain conditions will cause the cleanup to not happen.

BrewTech
12th March 2014, 07:05 AM
I don't think I underpitched and would probably only use this as an add on for bottle conditioning, keeping the priming sugar the same. Is this a viable solution and have you seen it done?
I haven't done it but when I took the homebrew class at UC Davis, the instructors considered that the ONLY way of properly bottle conditioning a beer.

Libertytree
12th March 2014, 12:21 PM
My 1st thought is to go with the simplest of all the options and then go from there accordingly. So, next batch instead of 1/2 cup per 5gals I'll use 3/4 cup per 5. If there's still a problem at that point I'd have to deduce that the issue if with the yeast or lack thereof.

Jewboo
16th March 2014, 09:42 AM
I haven't done it but when I took the homebrew class at UC Davis, the instructors considered that the ONLY way of properly bottle conditioning a beer.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9kemsakoN1rtr3kno1_500.png

:rolleyes:

Glass
23rd March 2014, 08:05 PM
watching some more videos over the weekend and I saw one by the beer smith software guy interviewing a brewer about lagers. My favorite subject. Worthwhile watch. Near the end they discuss the lagering process and this guy re-pitches his lagers at the end. Its a 38 minute interview I got some good stuff out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcjSQg6pP4

something wrong with embedding videos at the moment.

woodman
24th March 2014, 04:28 AM
watching some more videos over the weekend and I saw one by the beer smith software guy interviewing a brewer about lagers. My favorite subject. Worthwhile watch. Near the end they discuss the lagering process and this guy re-pitches his lagers at the end. Its a 38 minute interview I got some good stuff out of it.

something wrong with embedding videos at the moment.
I never lagered beer long enough for yeast depletion to be an issue. I can see how it might be though if it is stored at a cool temperature long enough. Is that the contention and reasoning for the repitching? Lagering or storing causing the yeast to settle out and/or become dormant?

Glass
24th March 2014, 04:55 AM
I never lagered beer long enough for yeast depletion to be an issue. I can see how it might be though if it is stored at a cool temperature long enough. Is that the contention and reasoning for the repitching? Lagering or storing causing the yeast to settle out and/or become dormant?

that is pretty much the gist of it although in our case it isn't a particular style but a lack of bottle carbonation in general. This guy re-pitches but with a fairly clean yeast in that it doesn't impart much in the way of flavour characteristics.

so anyways am thinking its ok to do in any style if there's a call for it.

Dogman
26th March 2014, 05:14 PM
Just got back from camping on the local river, who has done bannock bread? Fry bread? Both wheat and corn? Have used oatmeal with both mixes, results vary.

Did a mix of flour and corn when on the river and yummm, wood fire and cast iron pan, add a tad of honey

woodman
26th March 2014, 05:36 PM
Just got back from camping on the local river, who has done bannock bread? Fry bread? Both wheat and corn? Have used oatmeal with both mixes, results vary.

Did a mix of flour and corn when on the river and yummm, wood fire and cast iron pan, add a tad of honey
I've never even heard of it but it sounds really yummy.

Dogman
26th March 2014, 05:54 PM
I've never even heard of it but it sounds really yummy.Apologize to the thread, Have had this last (2nd fishing trip in over 20 years) big time on my mind, just now saw that this is the beer forum.

Yes bannock bread and fry bread is some wonderful and easy to make stuff that is tasty.

Quick wiki.. But the recipes are endless, all are easy and quick. Have used all kinds of wheat with corn meal with other grains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannock_%28food%29

do a wiki search for fry bread..

Again I apologize to the thread, for my brain fart.

Tho all the grains, that I have used to make bread, make some interesting beer and other beverages.

;D