PDA

View Full Version : Mini DV Camera

Glass
17th March 2014, 08:17 PM
Yes this is not a Prep item. I wondered about posting it to General but anyways here is it.

This is one of those cheap DV "spy" cameras you can get on eBay. I want something small that I can carry that could record audio mainly but it seemed easier just to grab a camera. The thing cost $22 AUD.

I'm sure we've all seen these.
http://weblog.hansotten.com/wp-content/2010/05/md80.png

So it's the size of a cigarette lighter wide and maybe 3/4 height. It takes about 3 hours to fully charge on USB to computer. Faster if on mains power ~2 hrs. Mine came with the gear in the pic plus another bracket that can be used in a bunch of ways. It could be used on a belt or screwed to something or cable tied. I have it tied on my bike to record where I have been. It could be used for a rear view mirror mount. It also came with a soft neoprene cover which I guess offers some water protection, maybe from light rain?

There was no software with the camera but it has an 8Gb TF card. If buying check the card size. Some do not have a card and you need to buy separately.

My experience so far:
Battery life is 1.5 hrs when recording. Its actually 1hr 20.
Recordings are 30 minutes long, then it makes a new file and continues recording for another 30 minutes etc.
Quality of video is good but motion blur is bad.
I am using on a bike so there is vibration and the motion blur. For me it is ok. I want to record cars that are approaching.
Color is ok. I have no complaints
Frame rte is 30fps. It is not enough to stop motion blur.
Setting up the time stamp was confusing but trial and error/google helped
Computer only recognizes it as a hard drive, not a camera.
The memory card is a knock off. Internet says video performance can be better with better memory card. I use the one in the box but I have a couple of high end legit ones I will try. I don't want to mix those up with the knock offs.

Use as web cam with PC. Not really critical but figured it would be good to make work.
No PC drivers with this one. I grabbed a driver from a web site I found (http://www.2kool4u.com/minicams/D001.shtml). Dodgy I know but files came up clean and I installed.
Needed to restart the PC
Drivers did indeed work and it is now a Generic UNC device.
Software I tested it with is Debut from NCH software. Those guys make good stuff. I have used a few in the past.
Works well as a web cam. Not so much motion blur of course.

Controls are labelled clearly but the record button is way small.
The indicator lights are very small and to be honest I can't see them that well.
There is a Red light to indicate recording but it doesn't shine through the holes very well so I can't always see if it is in record mode.

the mounting brackets work pretty good. They look cheap and rubbish but are surprisingly solid.
The camera clicks into the bracket very firmly and doesn't shake loose
I've gone on a couple of rides and while it's not extremely down hill, it has surprised me, holding firm over the lumps and bumps.
I think it will need a screw tightening now and then but thats to be expected.
I bought from eBay seller GUPEIFANG and was ok. Fast dispatch and delivery to Aus in 14 days.

Next thing is to see if I can get it to work as a web cam with an Android device. Also some way to get more battery life. It charges from USB so it will either parasite power from another device or one of those smartphone battery booster/charger things could be useful for longer running.
Some vibration compensation would be useful.

Thats a lot to write about a toy but I was pleasantly surprised by this thing. I've bought some crap of ebay that has literally broken when taking it out of the box. I didn't expect much.

Jewboo
17th March 2014, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2GfrxJ4rPQ&feature=share&list=PLAA9D2B991 DFB89B8&index=2

Thanks for your comprehensive review Glass. I've been thinking about buying one of these 808-type cameras. This Techmoan (https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan) guy has some very interesting reviews and videos on various tiny video cameras.

Glass
31st March 2014, 06:38 PM
ok so quick update after using this camera some. Your not getting a go pro here. It's basic but serviceable in some applications.

The cradle this thing clips into is hard plastic and durable however the way it clips in is with 4 very small plastic nibs on each corner. These wear off after 2 or 3 unclippings. So now I am using electrical tape to hold it in the cradle. The cradle bracket is fixed to bike with zipties. You get 2 cradles which are attached to 2 different mounts. I could swap the other one over but I'm not fussed. I have a lot of electrical tape.

The battery life is 1 hour 20 minutes. Not long enough for my journeys.

You can actually have it recording while it is connected to a power source. Didn't know that. This means a USB phone battery booster will work. You can get Lithium ones or you can get a multicell to usb job. So 2 x AA or 4 x AA to USB.

Microphone is very sensitive but purely omnidirectional. Loudest noises get heard the best regardless of direction.

Picks conversation audio ok from a pant pocket but it's pushing it. Really needs to be uncovered.

The video is actually pretty good quality for the most part. Color saturation is high.

File transfer via USB is very slow. USB 1 maybe?? Allow 1 minute transfer for every minute of video.

For $20 I still see this as ok value for what it is. I might get another one, for front and back and a battery pack to run both. It will have to be light. I don't like hauling extra weight.

Glass
1st May 2014, 03:17 AM
still using this although the battery is basically useless. It provides about 40 minutes of record time. sometimes less. First couple times was 1.5 hrs. 2hrs would be better. It can be used when connected to a power source. I have used it with a USB power pack. 4+ hrs no problem. Pack probably had another 8 - 10hrs on it. Is 7000 mAh. Need smaller battery pack for my purpose. Lighter carry. Still think it is ok for the money. I have seen them much cheaper but not SD card and sometimes not all the bits in pack. SO maybe it's not so cheap that way.

I have thought about using a spare phone battery. I have 5 or 6 that are supposed to be 2600mAh. Thought maybe of soldering on a small 2 wire cable with a connector to the camera's battery wires and parallel in a spare phone battery with another wire pair and connector. So I could connect and disconnect as desired. Phone circuit could handle the charging for both batteries when they are connected.

How to mount it is the thing. Seal it in some liquid plastic is a start. I've seen a few people mod them this way.