PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Ale #4

Libertytree
26th April 2014, 03:10 PM
From here on out every 20 gal batch is called Freedom Ale, for two reasons, 1, it's really an ale because of the higher ferment temps and 2, because it gives me economic freedom. More $ to put to other uses is a very good thing, ain't no tellin what could be bought? :) When I get to the point of trying to making specialty batches it'll be a different header.

I've been putting this batch together trying to come up with a 20 gal batch that's everyday drinkin kinda beer, my goal from the start. I've made some great darker styles of ales but personally I want something lighter. So, this is the plan for #4.

5-3.3 cans of Muntons extra light liquid malt extract (16.5lbs).
90 grams Coopers yeast.
4oz Columbus hops
2oz Tettnang hops.
2oz Sazz hops.
1 Whirlflock tablet.

By the time this brew gets to going I will also have the wort chiller in play.

The Whirlflock tabs are to bind the sediments together during their last 10-15 mins of the boil, making them heavier and thusly settling to the bottom. The wort chiller will further and moreso contribute to helping the brew be much clearer because it shortens the cool down time for the cold break. I have discovered that brewing at my temps and my current methods produces "cold haze", it's clear as a bell when it's warm but science takes over and all those compounds bind back together when it's chilled and the result is cloudy beer. It doesn't effect the taste at all, so they say, but.....it kinda sucks sharing cloudy beer with most folks.

Edit to add... I have to take a company trip this week and everything is at a standstill until I get back. So, this batch is still a bit off, time wise, but it is in the motion.