PDA

View Full Version : WD-40 ~ Who knew!

Ponce
21st May 2014, 07:37 AM
Subject: What is WD-40 ?

WD-40 ~ Who knew!

I had a neighbor who bought a new pickup.
I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason).
I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.
He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do … probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open.
Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off.
It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I was impressed!

WD-40 who knew?
“Water Displacement #40″.
The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts.
WD-40 was created in 1953, by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.
Its name comes from the project that was to find a ‘Water Displacement’ Compound.
They were finally successful for a formulation, with their fortieth attempt, thus WD-40.
The ‘Convair Company’ bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.
Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

When you read the ‘shower door’ part, try it.
It’s the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door.
If yours is plastic, it works just as well as on glass.
It’s a miracle!
Then try it on your stove-top.
It’s now shinier than it’s ever been.
You’ll be amazed.

WD-40 Uses:
1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4. Gives floor that ‘just-waxed’ sheen without making them slippery.
5. Keeps the flies off of Cows, Horses, and other Farm Critters, as well. (Ya gotta love this one!!!)
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7. Removes lipstick stains.
8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
9. Untangles jewelry chains.
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12. Keeps ceramic/terracotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on both home and vehicles doors.
18. It removes that nasty tar and scuff marks from the kitchen flooring. It doesn’t seem to harm the finish and you won’t have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19. Remove those nasty bug guts that will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly!
20. Gives a children’s playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21. Lubricates gearshift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22. Rids kids rocking chair and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31. Removes grease splatters from stove-tops.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37. Florida’s favorite use is: ‘cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.’
38. The favorite use in the state of New York, it protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it’s a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41. It is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray it on the marks and wipe with a clean rag.
42. Also, if you’ve discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you spray it inside a wet distributor cap, it will displace the moisture, allowing the engine to start.

P.S.
As for that Basic, Main Ingredient…….
Well…. it’s FISH OIL….

Now This Is Definitely Worth SHARING!!

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Publico
21st May 2014, 07:47 AM
#44. Use in place of vegetable oil spray in preparing muffins, cookies and such.

Dachsie
21st May 2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks for sharing. I will use some of the tips but WD 40 is a petroleum product and it has a litany of health warnings on the label. The can versions of the product can explode if kept to near a heat source.

Since it is "harmful or fatal if swallowed" I would say to not put it on silver flatware or on any eating / food utensils.

There is something called "orange oil" that is purely a natural product and performs many of the same functions as in your list and there are no warnings and it comes in a regular glass bottle.

A bit off topic but whenever I see WD 40 I am reminded of

a test I gave to my bookkeeping students in a trade school many years ago.

The question on the test was something like

What is the name of the IRS form where employee indicates to employer the number of exemptions claimed?

Answer from one of my students: WD-40

Dogman
21st May 2014, 07:58 AM
For some things it is a great cleaner/gunk remover.

Back in the days of points/condensers and such, in rainy weather it was a must have, If the engine got wet and water on the spark plug wires and in the distributor cap. Spray the wires, pop off the distributor cap, spray everything inside, replace and go!

Good stuff, tho as a lube, it works for squeaks but does dry out fairly fast.

I would never eat anything that has it on it. Used to be tons of wifes tales, abt wd-40 and what ails the human body.

Neuro
21st May 2014, 08:15 AM
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
That is impossible! ;D

helec338
21st May 2014, 08:27 AM
One time at work I found the side of my car door covered in a long line of dried bubble gum. I tried to get it out at home with water and elbow grease until I went back up and searched the internet for a faster solution. Found out on yahoo answers that WD-40 would do the job so I grabbed my can and went to it and BAM the gum came off right away with no effort.

willie pete
21st May 2014, 09:29 AM
if you ever get one of those (usually orange) illegal parking warning stickers on your driver's side window, saturate it with WD-40 and it'll peel right off, I've seen several times where people would just try and scrape'em off, they always leave a residue

Libertytree
21st May 2014, 09:40 AM
I did a flat roof repair job that required several buckets of black tar aka black mammy. That stuff gets everywhere no natter how neat you try to be and is a major PITA to get off your skin and is impossible with even the stuff they sell at the roofing store. So, I grabbed a can of WD and presto! the tar came off like a charm.

monty
21st May 2014, 09:42 AM
Many years ago I worked with a man who used WD-40 for arthritis pain. He said that they used WD-40 to lubricate bakery conveyor chains because It wasn't harmful to humans.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

monty
21st May 2014, 09:46 AM
I did a flat roof repair job that required several buckets of black tar aka black mammy. That stuff gets everywhere no natter how neat you try to be and is a major PITA to get off your skin and is impossible with even the stuff they sell at the roofing store. So, I grabbed a can of WD and presto! the tar came off like a charm.

I have worked around an asphalt plant and gotten some asphalt on my shoes. I didn't get It al off and got asphalt oil on the carpet. Maybe WD-40 will remove it.

Libertytree
21st May 2014, 09:59 AM
I have worked around an asphalt plant and gotten some asphalt on my shoes. I didn't get It al off and got asphalt oil on the carpet. Maybe WD-40 will remove it.

I know one thing, WD is absolutely your best shot at getting it out of the carpet. How long ago? Ya might need it to soak a few mins.

monty
21st May 2014, 10:22 AM
I know one thing, WD is absolutely your best shot at getting it out of the carpet. How long ago? Ya might need it to soak a few mins.

The most recent was last week. Thanks!

midnight rambler
21st May 2014, 10:23 AM

Gojo with pumice hand cleaner (the cherry scented found at auto parts stores) will easily remove cut-back* asphalt aka 'pooky' off your skin, although don't add water until you're ready to rinse as water kills the effectiveness of it. And what you were using was unlikely coal tar pitch, I'm relatively certain it was cut-back asphalt (although both are accurately identified as bitumen products they are generally regarded as incompatible, PLUS had you actually used a [cut-back] coal tar pitch product in a pail [no longer made that I'm aware of] you would not be complaining primarily about how messy is was, you WOULD be complaining about how that pitch pooky burned the shit out of you wherever you got it on your skin since it has creosote in it). Never, ever heard cut-back asphalt called 'black mammy' - must be a regional thing. Also, it's common to call gravel ballasted built-up asphalt roofs 'tar and gravel' when they are really only asphalt and gravel 98-99% of the time. Coal tar pitch built up roofs are superior to all other roofs with respect to longest service lives however there are very few hot mop crews around who can competently AND ARE WILLING to handle hot mopped coal tar pitch since EVERYONE hates working with it - the smoke/fumes coming off a hot kettle heating coal tar pitch has creosote in it and will burn your skin on contact so anyone coming into contact with the fumes of coal tar pitch will always lather down their exposed skin with a product known as pitch cream or alternatively Corn Husker's Lotion or some such. Well done coal tar pitch roofs can last for 50 years or more since pitch has a very low softening point and therefore gravel ballasted pitch built up roofs are 'self-healing'.

*cut-back with a solvent otherwise the asphalt would be a solid mass and you'd never be able to get it out of the pail

This is how actual asphalt used for hot mop roofs is packaged -

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/143349964/Oxidized_Bitumen_90_15_115_15.jpg

And fwiw I don't know of anyone who uses WD-40 aka panther piss to remove asphalt although I don't doubt it works. Most folks who want to make a quick job of asphalt removal simply reach for the xylene.

midnight rambler
21st May 2014, 10:35 AM

Well dummy, take your shoes off BEFORE you walk onto your carpet with contaminated shoes.

K2r (or the equivalent is what I use 'cause I can't find K2r locally) is the product you need to use to get asphalt COMPLETELY out of carpet and clothing, it's a dry cleaning powder in a can. Spray on, allow to dry, brush off with brush on cap. Repeat if necessary, it WILL remove all the asphalt on 2 or 3 applications. I would not risk using WD40 on carpet or clothing, it's a gamble - you're likely to still end up with a very apparent stain.

http://www.k2rbrands.com/images/k2roriginal.gif

monty
21st May 2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks, I'll see if I can find some of your K2r for my work clothes!

The carpet is old and in the office at the plant.

midnight rambler
21st May 2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks, I'll see if I can find some of your KR2 for my work clothes!

Use the K2r BEFORE you run your clothes through the dryer.

helec338
21st May 2014, 12:12 PM
I got roof tar on my car seat once. It was a product called Wet-R-Dry used for patching up built up roofs and sealing. Got it on the back of my pants and without noticing it I sat on the car seat. I got it off with Goo Gone in an orange spray bottle.

Libertarian_Guard
21st May 2014, 01:05 PM
Don't use WD-40 on outdoor locks. At least not during the winter. It will freeze and cause problems.

Dogman
21st May 2014, 01:27 PM
Don't use WD-40 on outdoor locks. At least not during the winter. It will freeze and cause problems.

Never use any liquid base lub for locks, EVER! use

Graphite powder, in a puff bottle.

Liquid based lubs, will attract all kinds of crap and gum things up ever more in time.

If it is wet and stays that way ,never, use for locks use a dry lub, or spray on wet (carrier for penetration) and then drys completely lube, which probably will be graphite or molly which is a forum of graphite.

Recommended for everyone to buy a small bottle of powdered graphite, and treat your locks yearly or whenever they start getting hard for the key to turn.

Crap in some ways this is starting me to think of sex.. :)

But in that venue, wet is best as long as it is slick!!!!

madfranks
21st May 2014, 03:21 PM
#44. Use in place of vegetable oil spray in preparing muffins, cookies and such.

#45 Brush your teeth with it.

Dogman
21st May 2014, 03:23 PM
Whooo!

MF, you are totally cracked!

Carl
22nd May 2014, 05:34 AM
Had a guy bring his computer into my shop, complaining about it overheating and shutting down. I opened it up to discover that he had coated the entire motherboard in WD-40, he said it was to prevent corrosion buildup on the circuits.

Neuro
22nd May 2014, 07:26 AM
Had a guy bring his computer into my shop, complaining about it overheating and shutting down. I opened it up to discover that he had coated the entire motherboard in WD-40, he said it was to prevent corrosion buildup on the circuits.
Corrosion of motherboards is a huge problem now after Moore's law seems to be suspended, soon it may work in reverse... LOL