PDA

View Full Version : Can openers

Dogman
24th May 2014, 11:37 AM
Back in the day, have had several electric types, but really do prefer the old fashion hand types. And have owned several good ones that would open any can any time. And lasted for years.

Sadly due to moves and a divorce that the evil woman cleaned me out of prior owned kitchen stuff, I have been suffering.

Just like a good woman, a good can opener that can stand up to #10 cans and less are hard to find!

;D

Been looking for a old hand crank type, but they seem as rare as hens teeth...

LOL!

Have had several ones break or the handle will slip, or the cutter would just run off and not cut anymore, so drag out the old standby , slow but steady, p-38.

Sparky
24th May 2014, 04:25 PM
I prefer to use electric. But I have a few hand cranks tucked away. You know, SHTF and all. :D

Dogman
24th May 2014, 04:34 PM
Just bought another one from amazon, seems I can not find one at a local store, that is not china made and china is reliable.

I like electric, but they occupy counter space, I like o peers that I can toss in a drawer,

Found one made in the us. tho the name changed because the company name was sold to china, but the machines were bought and stayed in the states.

Now once I get it time will tell.

My thread is the from the frustration of buying and using mechanical openers that fail soon after they are put to work.

Stuff that is commonalty available is trash.

One example is one I bought, it looked heavy duty, but the opening handle was molded plastic to the metal shaft that made the cutter work, after a few #10 cans, the handle started to slip on the shaft. I could fix it by drilling and putting a pin to lock the handle to the shaft, so the plastic handle is locked to the shaft, I have the tools to do so, but it is the principle of the thing that I will do it later.

I bet many buy opners, and have them fail on the first few cans.

I will not trust any opener interface of metal to plastic anymore. This one did not have any grip.

Glass
24th May 2014, 05:29 PM
Culinare Magican, pricey but I think they are sturdy, reliable, stay sharp. I admit mine doesn't get a big workout these days as all our cans seem to have rip pulls for lids. But I've had it easy 10 years now. Probably more like 15. Cuts through the side, not around inside lip. For real big cans that will reduce can rigidity when you have to lift them up to pour them out.

I have had cheapo regular ones but they have all been rubbish. No cutting power. I've tried a clone and it was also crap. I got a couple of those army pocket types for WCS.

Dogman
24th May 2014, 07:25 PM
Culinare Magican, pricey but I think they are sturdy, reliable, stay sharp. I admit mine doesn't get a big workout these days as all our cans seem to have rip pulls for lids. But I've had it easy 10 years now. Probably more like 15. Cuts through the side, not around inside lip. For real big cans that will reduce can rigidity when you have to lift them up to pour them out.

I have had cheapo regular ones but they have all been rubbish. No cutting power. I've tried a clone and it was also crap. I got a couple of those army pocket types for WCS.

It will be interesting, just looking for an old fashion opener, all good steel and for sure no plastic in the drive train. The crap I have bought in the local stores, some looked heavy, but would spring out, or the handle was plastic, get a can with tuff steel and crap.

I remember the openers you are referring about, big thing, because they cut the side, saw them on the late night infocommuricals.

Nothing fancy, tho there seems like there is a crap load of cutters out there, I have not seen any yet that look like the old school ones that can last years. Know of one here that was going strong, for 30 years, then the new wife wanted an electric and so it was done, one of her kids got the mechanical one. During the divorce, I had to stop her family from pulling the nails out of the walls. Have not seen any can openers of the old style heavy duty like the one I used to own. Bunch of chineese knock offs, that may work a few times and then crap out.

The one I ordered seems it may work, but ? It is American made, and that for me anymore is a huge plus.

You know the world is going to crap when even can openers that are reliable and quality are hard to find.

Best one ever was a wall mounted or could be detached from the wall to use by a spring loaded pin , swing out from the wall far enough that it could open a #10 can easy and also support it somewhat, but for #10 cans of weight it had to be detached from the wall brackett, huge crank, ate #10 cans for lunch and anything smaller and wanted more, very heavy stamped steel frame near 1/8th thick or so, all steel construction. That bastard worked for me for dam near 30 years, until I got married.

Then the world has never been the same since.

LoL!

Sad but true.\!

Dam Bitch!

Grumblegrumblegrumble.

One of my goals in life is to out live that bitch!

Grin!

Now back to good can openers!

Grin!

palani
25th May 2014, 04:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sbxKbI9Ik4o