PDA

View Full Version : Unesco : this is a MONSTROUS wind farm!

singular_me
25th May 2014, 06:46 AM
If this project is really meant to thwart nuclear plants, I am all for it...

Inducing the fear of job losses, due to a decreasing rate of tourism? not so sure tourism will go down as it is impressive to watch 200 offshore turbine, I'll be there will be a rush, especially if the turbines become a pro-earth model.

------------
24 May 2014

Monstrous wind farm that will 'dwarf' the Isle of Wight: Unesco threatens to withdraw World Heritage status from Jurassic Coast after plans to build 200 offshore turbines

The towers, spanning area larger than Manchester, are proposed just nine miles off Dorset’s unique Jurassic Coast
Unesco insists £3.5bn French-Dutch Navitus Bay development will ‘dominate’ area

Britain's biggest offshore wind farm with turbines up to 650ft high will dwarf views of the Isle of Wight, the United Nations has warned.

Should the proposal be given the go-ahead, the developers expect the first turbines to come online in 2019 and provide power for 700,000 homes.

Nearly 200 towers, spanning an area larger than Manchester, are proposed just nine miles off Dorset’s unique Jurassic Coast.

But in an explosive letter to the Government, the UN’s Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) has said the project would significantly affect the coastline and could threaten its status as

Unesco insists that the £3.5 billion French-Dutch Navitus Bay development – with up to 194 turbines, each the height of London’s ‘Gherkin’ building – will ‘dominate’ the area and change the seascape for ever. Local opponents to the plan say it will devastate tourism in the area.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638335/Wind-farm-dwarf-Isle-Wight.html#ixzz32jZTjI00

palani
25th May 2014, 07:06 AM
I am all for it...

An expensive blender for sea birds?

woodman
25th May 2014, 07:58 AM
Wind farms are ugly, but far better option than nuclear. There is technology using surf 'snakes' that make power by hinging back and forth with the waves.

singular_me
25th May 2014, 08:25 AM
all that is non polluting is good for everybody... if birds do not like it, they will find another island in the area, there are many of them

I recall this story in NYC, two falcons, male and female, had a nest on top of a building across central park and humans tried to "relocate them" outside the city and they resiliently came back every time...

Not saying that the city is good for the birds, but birds can surely cope with a wind farm

dont forget that those sea birds eat contaminated/radioactive fish already... think fukushima, so yes I am all for any non polluting concept to thwart nuclear plants

what is good for Man is good for Nature - and otherwise :)

An expensive blender for sea birds?

singular_me
25th May 2014, 11:03 AM
Promise of wave and tidal power left out to sea by government

The encouraging speech to the conference given by UK energy minister Greg Barker might suggest that political support in the medium term for marine energy in the UK is strong; but the prospects may not be so promising beyond 2020.

Under the UK electricity market reforms currently being implemented, wave and tidal energy, as still-developing technologies, will be offered a high strike price of some £305 per megawatt-hour (MWh) – considerably more than offshore wind at £155 per MWh. But this price will only apply to schemes of up to 30MW, with a contract duration of 15 years.

By contrast, the mature nuclear power industry is being offered 40 year contracts (at £92 per MWh) backed by government-guaranteed loans. It is debatable whether, despite the high price offered, such short contracts and an unclear future will draw in the investment required to make the best use of the seas' potential.

http://theconversation.com/promise-of-wave-and-tidal-power-left-out-to-sea-by-government-24036

Wind farms are ugly, but far better option than nuclear. There is technology using surf 'snakes' that make power by hinging back and forth with the waves.

osoab
25th May 2014, 12:11 PM
How do you get power when the wind don't blow?

How are you storing the power when peak production is opposite of peak demand?

gunDriller
25th May 2014, 12:51 PM
How do you get power when the wind don't blow?

How are you storing the power when peak production is opposite of peak demand?

A/ the old fashioned way. you burn chit and that powers a steam turbine.

B/ storage, e.g. Active Technology. their technology involved flywheels (AKA angular momentum). batteries, pumped water, zillions of ways.