PDA

View Full Version : Kit O' Beer #8 - Cascading Canadian Blonde

Glass
25th May 2014, 07:29 AM
Underway with KoB #8. I grabbed another blonde. Not sure why. Ah now I remember. Dry hopping.

The local big box store has expanded their home brew section and there was a lot more choice. In addition to the kits, they now have a lot more of the supplies you would normally have to go to a LHBS but still catering for kit brewers. I was in there getting the big assed pot for KoB #7 and grabbed the blonde while I was at it. There were even some new brands of extract kits so I might try a couple of those in future.

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde
1 kg Dry Light Malt Extract - from the preferred LHBS
1 pkt Bry-97 yeast - 11gms - 1st time I've used this one.
0.3kg Dextrose
23 gms Cascade pellet hops - dry hopped ~ day 7 - 8.

Changes:
From the straight Coopers K&K recipe we have all dry light malt instead of a brew enhancer mix. Using Danstar yeast

OG 1.051

Brew temp: 30C - ambient
Pitch temp: 22C - wort
Current temp: 22C - wort

Notes: I bought another brand of yeast this time around. The LHBS didn't have any safale yeast in stock so suggested this one. People say its slow to start and may take 2 or more days to get going but ferments out clean. Directions are to rehydrate before pitching. Maybe next time.

The gravity on this one is way over the top. We didn't need the extra dextrose at all. This one is very malty to taste. I am going to dry hop it with some Cascade. I may rack this one to secondary to dry hop. People say it can get messy with this yeast although I am using the fermenter with the krausen collar so I might be able to clean it up and stay with primary only. We see.

I got well prepared for bring the temps down. I had lots of chilled water and a block of ice to add. I think with the ambient temps being so low, vigorous stirring to aerate the wort and the chilled water, the temps came down very quick. I should have checked the temp before dropping in the ice block because it was already down to 20C. We ended up down at 14C so instead of spending 6 hours getting the temps down, I've been trying to get them up. I think we are at about 20-21C and steady now.

The alcohol on this one is going to be fairly high I think but still around the 5 - 5.5 range. probably not too bad.

Libertytree
25th May 2014, 02:21 PM
So there is no liquid extract in this?

And what big ass pot did ya get and what are ya gonna cook it on?

Glass
25th May 2014, 06:13 PM
yes there was 1.7kg can of liquid Canadian Blonde extract.

I used the pot (The BAP)for KoB #7 so already been christened.

Glass
28th May 2014, 03:39 AM
They were right about this yeast. It's a slow starter. Going ok this morning though. Does seem to be keeping an inch or so from the sides of the fermenter. No heat being applied yet. Was thinking I might get an electric blanket. Seems it could be versatile option. Wrap around. Hang on inside door of cupboard or closet. Suspend over fermenters. Line boxes. About the same price as a heat belt.

Libertytree
28th May 2014, 07:13 AM
The electric blanket seems like a great idea! maybe even a waterbed heater?

Glass
1st June 2014, 04:52 AM
Day 7. Slow start and 7 days in still going strong.

1st reading was 1.020 (@19C Day 7).

Fermentation took 2 days to crank. Yeast instructions were to rehydrate for 15 mins @30C. As I said we just pitched it in dry. The wort was recovering from too much chill. Yeast looked pretty dark and I'm thinking rough yeast but I could be wrong. no surprise.

I've pretty much ignored it since I pitched the yeast. I chucked a thin towel on it. shone a torch on it 1 time. It's been cold. For us. Apart from the towel I haven't bothered adding any heat.

OG was 1.051

Still a good krausen going on. Collar is still in there. I would normally take it out by day 7. We give it 2 days for the slow start. The SG says we still have a week. On track then. Cloudy appearance but mostly gas. Good gas. Malty taste is less now. It is different to past blondes. Honey or syrup finish. A honey blonde. I want to dry hop for about 4 days, maybe 5. So Day 9 or 10.

Bought some womens stockings to use as hop bags. I figure that some embarrassment is worth a saving of about 50% the price of a hop bag. Not sure how durable they will be. And I don't really care so I lost nothing. Better not be an apprentice joke.

Libertytree
1st June 2014, 06:41 AM
Some Q's.....How much hops are you using? What form of hops? What kind of hops?

At first I was a little concerned about you using the stocking hose but a little search assured me it was alright, I found this and thought you might like to read it.

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/15516/16743.html?1056143598

Glass
1st June 2014, 08:17 PM
I'm expecting to do about 23gms of Pellet hops. They say about 1gm a litre is a good number. So thats 2/3 an ounce. maybe 3/4.

Been thinking about something to weigh it with. Don't really have anything SS that I would use but I have some glass beads that I can boil and drop in the bag.

Libertytree
1st June 2014, 09:01 PM
If you have a heavy shot glass, that would work. Just sterilize it 1st.

BrewTech
2nd June 2014, 06:52 AM
I'm expecting to do about 23gms of Pellet hops. They say about 1gm a litre is a good number. So thats 2/3 an ounce. maybe 3/4.

Been thinking about something to weigh it with. Don't really have anything SS that I would use but I have some glass beads that I can boil and drop in the bag.

Just drop them in. They don't need to go to the bottom.

Libertytree
2nd June 2014, 07:09 AM
Welcome back BT, I was worried about ya bro.

Glass
3rd June 2014, 05:12 AM
Just drop them in. They don't need to go to the bottom.

I had a thought. Slow moving one. When I used them before they swelled huge, maybe 10 times size.

2 things. They get heavy on their own. and I'm wondering how much beer juice they will suck up. Time will tell.

The fermentation is still going strong. I'm impressed. It's still about 1/2" thick. Does it matter for dry hopping if the fermentation is still going strong? I thought I read somewhere to wait a bit.

BrewTech
3rd June 2014, 06:31 AM
I had a thought. Slow moving one. When I used them before they swelled huge, maybe 10 times size.

2 things. They get heavy on their own. and I'm wondering how much beer juice they will suck up. Time will tell.

The fermentation is still going strong. I'm impressed. It's still about 1/2" thick. Does it matter for dry hopping if the fermentation is still going strong? I thought I read somewhere to wait a bit.

Ideally you would wait until terminal gravity, cool the beer enough to get the yeast to go dormant and sink, then dry hop. Pro brewers usually remove as much of the yeast as possible (homebrewers would rack to secondary, but I doubt you want to do that... I rarely do), prior to dry hopping. Due to my fermenter design, I can't do that, so just dry hop in the primary with the yeast settled out. You will lose some beer volume to the dry hops... everyone does, it's just calculated into the final yield. Done correctly, you will be amazed at the results, and the improved long-term stability of the beer. Just make it a point to keep O2 off the beer as much as possible, as oxidized hops taste like shyte.

In this video, my buddy Shawn McIlhenny describes his dry-hopping technique on Nelson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fPaRrTn7yE

Glass
3rd June 2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks BT. Ok looks like we have some time on our hands. Looking into the beer foam last night it looks like we have 3 or 4 days to go at least. I'm still amazed at the amount still going on in there. Danstar yeast. Might have to try it again soon and see if its the yeast or the temp. Strong yeast or cool temps making progress slow is the question.

Upside is.... at least something is happening. I was planning on bottling this on the weekend and going straight into another 2 brews. Those plans might be delayed a bit. I have a 3rd fermenter but I'm suspect about the inside surface. It's a bit scratched. I would not use it to ferment. I'm figuring it should be ok as a bottling bucket as I can heap in the sanitizer and the beer is only in there monetarily so short time to pick up any infections. On the other hand I'm tempted to get something else. A water jerry can maybe.

Glass
8th June 2014, 08:50 PM
Day 14. Yesterday. This could be the longest brew.

1st reading was 1.020 (@19C Day 7).
2nd reading was 1.010 (@17C Day 14).

There is still a sizable krausen floating on this beer. Shows no signs of settling down but I think we are done with the ferment. I still have the krausen collar in the fermenter. Supposed to take it out about day 4 OR when the ferment looks like it's done.

OG was 1.051

I am going to rack this to secondary so I can get on with the dry hop and free up this fermenter for another brew. I'll rack it tonight. That should get me on schedule to bottle Friday. Should be good nights entertainment.

Glass
9th June 2014, 05:07 AM
Day 15. Racked and hopped.

Amazing yeast cake floating in there. Just not giving up. I was torn about letting it run it's course. It would be a dry one below 1.010 but there's room there to lose some sweetness. Next time. This yeast is different. You can certainly see traits in these yeast. This one is buttery smooth. It's like butterscotch smooth.

This brew has more malt fermentables than the standard recipe. It brewed up a bit darker from the malts. Now it is a very light colour. It has a smoothness to the taste that mirrors the colour. I think that is interesting. Worth trying if you are doing a cream ale type brew. Need to see how it goes over time but I think it adds a richness.

I used one of these stockings for a hop sock. I boiled it about 10 minutes. Mainly because it was water repellant. It leached some colour during the boil. Not a lot. I have no idea what these things are made of or coloured with. I think it was acceptable. Better come out and be left behind than in the beer.

Hops smell great. Cascade is nice hop. I'd like to know the smell of hops without having to buy them first.

Anyway into the bottom of the fermenter and we racked on to the hops. Some yeast came through. Because most of it was still floating. We need some anyway. Bottling in ~4 days.

BrewTech
9th June 2014, 06:52 AM
Day 15. Racked and hopped.

Amazing yeast cake floating in there. Just not giving up. I was torn about letting it run it's course. It would be a dry one below 1.010 but there's room there to lose some sweetness. Next time. This yeast is different. You can certainly see traits in these yeast. This one is buttery smooth. It's like butterscotch smooth.

This brew has more malt fermentables than the standard recipe. It brewed up a bit darker from the malts. Now it is a very light colour. It has a smoothness to the taste that mirrors the colour. I think that is interesting. Worth trying if you are doing a cream ale type brew. Need to see how it goes over time but I think it adds a richness.

I used one of these stockings for a hop sock. I boiled it about 10 minutes. Mainly because it was water repellant. It leached some colour during the boil. Not a lot. I have no idea what these things are made of or coloured with. I think it was acceptable. Better come out and be left behind than in the beer.

Hops smell great. Cascade is nice hop. I'd like to know the smell of hops without having to buy them first.

Anyway into the bottom of the fermenter and we racked on to the hops. Some yeast came through. Because most of it was still floating. We need some anyway. Bottling in ~4 days.

The reason why it tastes like butterscotch is because you didn't allow the yeast to finish fermenting and reduce the diacetyl.

Here is an explanation from one of the most knowledgeable people in the world on the subject. I would highly recommend reading this document all the way through, as it will answer many questions about fermentation in general.

http://www.whitelabs.com/files/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

Hope this helps.

Libertytree
9th June 2014, 10:51 AM
My question would be, if he chose to, could he add yeast at this point and continue the ferment until it's really ready?

Glass
9th June 2014, 04:34 PM
yea ok that sounds about right. Matches the profile. I've hopped it so I don't think you can add yeast now. I guess we suck it and see.

BrewTech
10th June 2014, 07:13 AM
yea ok that sounds about right. Matches the profile. I've hopped it so I don't think you can add yeast now. I guess we suck it and see.

I made a similar mistake on a beer once. I was dumping yeast prior to terminal gravity so I could get clean samples to test (OOPS). The thing was a diacetyl bomb. Entered it into a rather large competition and took a bronze. If I told you which beer took silver you would shit.

Glass
10th June 2014, 10:38 AM
ok so it shouldn't be a spoiler. Steady as she goes then.

Glass
14th June 2014, 04:52 AM
ok bottled this one today. I think it was about 55 bottles. Expecting 60. I usually end up with a couple extra. This batch was short. Some losses racking and dry hopping. Temps have been cool days cold nights. Getting down to 3 or 4C. Inside it's about 13C. I didn't get it together to add heat until the last day.

Finished very clear. It tastes cleaner now. There was a surprising amount of yeast left in the secondary. The hops are there in aroma and taste. It is not as strong as KoB #7 where is dominates but it is distinctly there. Cascade seems to have a natural bitterness to it. It is the dominant sense I get from it. Acceptable here. I think this level is closer to the real LCBA.

We'll taste it in a couple of weeks

Glass
27th June 2014, 10:37 PM
This one I should have called Cascadian Blonde. Came to me this morning. That was probably what I had in mind.

Ok so this one is 2 weeks in the bottle now. Time to crack one. It's carbonating. A bit light on just yet but enough to drink.

Colour is a nice golden colour. Just a bit cloudy but it has hops in it and it looks like a pale ale. No complaints. Looks good. No real lacing yet but it has a consistent trickle of carbonation going on.

Aroma is nice, fruity and summery. I can smell pine and citrus. It reminds me of a tropical ice confection that I used to enjoy when I was younger. Still have one from time to time when it's hot.

Taste. The taste follows the aroma very closely. There are the beer elements that give a bit more tartness to the taste than the aroma which is mostly sweet. The bitterness I experienced with KoB #7 Little Creatures Bright Ale clone is not evident. Maybe it is the motueka that give the bitterness?

All I can say is Damn, my beer keeps getting better and better. If I do say so myself. I thought this would be passable but its' dang tasty. Lucky too as I'm cranking through the lemon lager and the clone. Need to put some of those aside to share with some mates and there is not much left.

Verdict: It's a winner.

Couple other things. I bulk primed this one so it will be interesting to see how far the carbonation goes. Still not 100% on how much priming sugar - dextrose to use. Some people say they use about 100 grams or 3 ounces. Other people say they use as much as 7. And then there are the middle dwellers. Seems to be an even distribution of people across the range. I am tending between 160 - 175 gms. So 5 1/3 - 6 oz.

I also used screw top glass bottles for these. So they take crown seals but the bottles are threaded so you can open without bottle opener. I'm sure you have them. Consensus is mixed that they are any good to re-use. I figured I would have a go. I drank a lot of coopers who seem to have the more solid bottles. Thicker glass. Most people said thinner glass screw tops usually crack after one or two uses.

Seems to have worked ok. They do seal well. I found I could not screw the crown off as I expected and had to use a bottle opener. No biggie. When capping I found the bottles got stuck in the capping bell. Non threaded bottles don't seem to have that problem. I think it is because the non thread bottle had a bull nose and then curves under and the cap wraps over a bit but the threaded ones are straight and it makes them tight in the bell.

Glass
30th June 2014, 02:48 AM
I've really taken to this beer. It ticks all the boxes. It has the colour. It has a slight haze to it which looks good. It has a great aroma and taste that finishes sweet like the canadian blonde but with the hop taste. I'd recommend it. I was going to do a lager at the weekend but I decided I would dry hop another canadian blonde. Just got to brew it.

BrewTech
30th June 2014, 09:46 PM
I've really taken to this beer. It ticks all the boxes. It has the colour. It has a slight haze to it which looks good. It has a great aroma and taste that finishes sweet like the canadian blonde but with the hop taste. I'd recommend it. I was going to do a lager at the weekend but I decided I would dry hop another canadian blonde. Just got to brew it.

Glad the beer turned out good... I like the progress!

Unless you are equipped to pitch your yeast and ferment at 10C, I wouldn't bother trying to do a proper lager. Stick with ales.

Tried a Kolsch Ale yeast yet? I use Fermentis K97 for my Gold (won a ribbon recently, TYVM) and it is great. Very lager-like when fermented at about 62F...

Glass
30th June 2014, 10:14 PM
Glad the beer turned out good... I like the progress!

Unless you are equipped to pitch your yeast and ferment at 10C, I wouldn't bother trying to do a proper lager. Stick with ales.

Tried a Kolsch Ale yeast yet? I use Fermentis K97 for my Gold (won a ribbon recently, TYVM) and it is great. Very lager-like when fermented at about 62F...

Yes this one I liked a lot. I've got to make another. Soon. Before I run out. hehe

I won't be doing a lager until I can chill it. On the list of things to get sorted out. I haven't seen a Kolsch Ale yeast that I recall but there are many brands of yeast at the LHBS so they may have it and I didn't notice. Will check next time I am there.

Glass
6th July 2014, 03:16 AM
I've been drinking this stuff like it's going out of fashion. Soft sweet summer fruit aroma and flavour. It may be a bit a sweet but it's still tasty.

Glass
7th July 2014, 01:27 AM
Electric blankets.

I said that I swapped out that electric blanket. I dislike appliance stores and appliances BUT I think I've worked out a pattern of where I am going wrong. That's a whole nother story and I'd just be whinging.

This blanket works but only just. I think the pattern is the brand. I seem to have repeatedly bought this brand for a couple different things and it's like buying safety scissors. Iron, fan heater and electric blanket. Same brand, none of them get really hot but chew the full quota of juice.

I have it draped around the coopers fermenter. It is much larger than the regular size 30L fermenters. It isn't bunched up or overlapped. I pegged the top ends and the sides to hold it. At full setting I can feel it giving off heat. Other settings I can't feel it.

17C inside, running all night and today the fermenter is at 24C. I can smell the beer when in the room and the yeast suds are a good 1" thick. It's a bit warm IMO so have turned it down and will see if we can steady it at 22C. The outside maybe warmer than the inside where the beer is because its got more thermal mass than air. So it may be 22C inside already anyway. I'll run it on #1 for a while and see if it is making heat.

Some things. I put a blanket over the top of it all. I figured the heat is mostly escaping up and these things are designed to build up heat in surrounding bedding. I figured that was the case and was thinking to get some kind of reflective to wrap it in. I've seen this big bubble wrap stuff that I think they use for insulation. Make a soft chamber out of it with the blanket stuck on the inside.

If the fermenter was in a cupboard I would just hang it on the door.

I was unsure about using it wrapped around something. They say don't use if creased or folded. It isn't really folded or creased. You can get these electrically heated throw rugs to put over you on the couch. Its the same thing. And they are machine washable so the element should be durable. Hasn't caught fire yet.

Libertytree
7th July 2014, 11:20 AM
They make reflective tape that they use to wrap duct work with and I was thinkin maybe you could line the inside of a cardboard box and set it over the fermenter that's wrapped with your rig?

ETA: Mylar sheeting might be a little cheaper?

Glass
7th July 2014, 07:07 PM
Ponce mentioned this bubble wrap stuff in his home heating thread. Maybe he mentioned it before but I did look around and find some. I don't need much and I figured I would tape it into a cylinder or a box to slide over the fermenter having stuck the electric blanket to it first. A cardboard packing box would be about the right size I think and yes it could be an option. Old tea chest size would be about right.

I've had it on #2 setting since the last post. It dropped down to 22C and has sat there nice and steady since. If I had it fully enclosed I think it would over heat at that setting. The idea would be to run it on #1 however I don't think it actually gives off any detectable heat at that setting.

Anyway it is working well for now. The temp is about right and the yeast look plenty happy. We are swinging between 4-6C (39F) minimums to 16-18C (60F) maximum daily temps so I am happy it seems this stable even when the pre-dawn chill sets in. You can really feel the temps drop a couple of degrees around 3 - 4 AM. I think the power use is about 60watts which is good. The heater I was running for 15mins every hour uses 2400watts. So 1Kw per 4 hours or 6Kw per day. This would be about 0.5Kw per day AND I can have some heat as well as the beer. Sitting in the cold while the beer is nice and cosy sucks.

I'd really like to find some mylar. I've looked and looked and you just can't find it in a regular store here. I don't know why that is. I'm sure you can get it but I think you need to go to trade type stores, building supplies and so on. The Local HW doesn't seem to stock it. Saying that there is a new hardware chain opened up and I scored a couple things there you can't get elsewhere. Need to spend more time there.