PDA

View Full Version : Analyst declares RadioShack stock worthless, saying a turnaround is ‘nearly impossibl

Ponce
11th June 2014, 09:50 PM
What went wrong? simple, the store no longer carry the items to awaken the mind, thing that you could build and from where it helped you to become inventive and to come up with new items.......why bother to build when you can simply buy it on line already build?. Schools no longer awaken the interests in kids to learn anything new and like them Radio Shack decided to buy "junk" from China and elsewhere.
================================================== ==

RadioShack Corp.’s mounting losses amid declining sales have been widely covered in the media. The company’s misfortune has also inspired Wall Street analysts to slash their target price on the stock, with a range this year of $1 to $3 a share.

However, that changed on Wednesday after B Riley analyst Scott Tilghman, who already rates the stock RSH a sell, lowered his price target to zero from $1 a share after the company on Tuesday reported another in a series of wider-than-expected losses. The company’s cash level also plunged. Chief Financial Officer John Feray said Tuesday the company has enough liquidity to execute its turnaround over the next 12 months, and that it’s examining expenses from utility bills to ocean freight.

“We think survival is in real jeopardy” with the cash burn and lack of asset value, the analyst told MarketWatch.

Tilghman said in a report that RadioShack is seeking to update 30% to 40% of its inventory and is remodeling some stores. But the company’s lack of capital and the need to “move quickly without fully vetting decisions means turnaround hopes seem to rest on crossed fingers rather than hard data,” the analyst said.

The company’s performance in July and August will be telling as it will need to stock up ahead of the back-to-school sales period, Tilghman said, adding that RadioShack might have trouble getting support from vendors.

“We think the odds of a bankruptcy filing are now over 50%,” he said. “A turnaround is nearly impossible for the company at this point.”

A RadioShack spokesman declined to comment on Wednesday. The company said Tuesday that it has the full support of its suppliers and lenders.

None of the 13 analysts tracked by FactSet rate the stock a buy, with about two-thirds of them ranking RadioShack a hold and the remainder a sell. The stock has lost half of its value this year and most recently fell 5% to $1.31. At its peak in 1999, the stock was trading close to $80.

Ares
12th June 2014, 06:28 AM
I used to go to Radioshack when I was a kid to look at Capacitors, transistors, raw silicon wafer boards. I even built a few items, but now I can't even go to Radio Shack to get those kinds of parts. I can online, and if need be, I wouldn't even bother with Radioshack. The only thing I have went to Radioshack for in the past 10 years was to get a battery that not even BatteriesPLUS carried. Honestly haven't been back there since.

I hate to see it go, but at the same time it was self inflicted. Removing the electronic hobby element from their stores has really hurt their bottom line. Have to chalk it up like Montgomery Wards. No longer around, and remember that place when I was a kid.

hoarder
12th June 2014, 06:34 AM
Haven't they been steadily going downhill since Tandy Corporation bought them out a couple decades ago?

gunDriller
12th June 2014, 07:03 AM
I used to go to Radioshack when I was a kid to look at Capacitors, transistors, raw silicon wafer boards. I even built a few items, but now I can't even go to Radio Shack to get those kinds of parts. I can online, and if need be, I wouldn't even bother with Radioshack. The only thing I have went to Radioshack for in the past 10 years was to get a battery that not even BatteriesPLUS carried. Honestly haven't been back there since.

I hate to see it go, but at the same time it was a self inflicted. Removing the electronic hobby element from their stores has really hurt their bottom line. Have to chalk it up like Montgomery Wards. No longer around, and remember that place when I was a kid.

me too !

they certainly had a golden opportunity handed to them a few decades ago. an all-tech store when the world was "going digital".

now it seems like they sell mostly sell phones.

now if i go in and say, "i bought a multimeter here a few years ago" the response is basically, "what's a multimeter ?"

Ares
12th June 2014, 07:26 AM
me too !

they certainly had a golden opportunity handed to them a few decades ago. an all-tech store when the world was "going digital".

now it seems like they sell mostly sell phones.

now if i go in and say, "i bought a multimeter here a few years ago" the response is basically, "what's a multimeter ?"

I bought a Radioshack multimeter back in 2002. Still works great. But yeah, the guys and girls behind the counter now really have no idea how to use a multimeter. I remember way back in the 80's and 90's they had multimeters and batteries and stuff on display that you could use to see how they work to measure voltage etc.

Twisted Titan
12th June 2014, 12:13 PM
RS use to be a tech heads paradise....

But when you gut essential services out the economy its only a matter of time before you reap the whirlwind.

I cant wait till best buy goes the way of the Do Do bird

gunDriller
12th June 2014, 01:11 PM
I bought a Radioshack multimeter back in 2002. Still works great. But yeah, the guys and girls behind the counter now really have no idea how to use a multimeter. I remember way back in the 80's and 90's they had multimeters and batteries and stuff on display that you could use to see how they work to measure voltage etc.

is it yellow - maybe cost about $20 ?

Ares
12th June 2014, 01:45 PM
is it yellow - maybe cost about $20 ?

lol yep!

StreetsOfGold
12th June 2014, 04:12 PM
Radio shack - destroyed by design.
Just part of the continued dumbing down of America.

Shami-Amourae
12th June 2014, 04:30 PM
Radio shack - destroyed by design.
Just part of the continued dumbing down of America.

I don't know about THAT. It really has to do with automation and online shopping. The business model of any brick and mortar store is going out the window. It only makes sense to sell stuff in brick/mortar stores that you can't really buy online (at least not yet.) This includes things like groceries (veggies, fruits, and meats,) guns, and large construction materials like you'd get at Home Depot or Lowes. All other businesses pretty much can shut down now and eventually will. If I had a brick and mortar company I'd shut it down immediately since every year your losses will be more and more. People need to get with the program and see where everything is heading. If you don't have a strong online presence you're fucked.

Radio Shack should have shut its doors like 5 years ago. Start a easy to use, and low cost hobby website with free shipping or something that sets it apart from Amazon and I think they could still survive. Hell they'd be better off selling stuff off eBay.