PDA

View Full Version : Toilet to Tap

EE_
30th June 2014, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure too many people would be surprised where their drinking water comes from.
They've been reusing waste (poop) water for some time in CA, AZ, TX and many other states.
Every time someone flushes their toilet you can figure it's on it's way to your tap. Cheers, drink up!
http://www.troll.me/images/lazy-college-senior/so-essentially-im-drinking-poop-water-thumb.jpg

Texas OKs wastewater reuse for parched city
Updated: Jun 28, 2014 6:45 AM EDT

State regulators have given conditional approval to a drought-stricken North Texas city's plan to recycle and treat wastewater to augment dwindling drinking water supplies.

The Texas Commission of Environmental Quality approved the Wichita Falls program for a period not to exceed six months. An agency statement says the decision is based on the city's report that it had verified that it was able to treat wastewater to meet all state and federal drinking water standards.

The Friday decision comes after state and federal climatologists warned Tuesday that the city of about 105,000 residents bear the Oklahoma border will likely continue experiencing unnaturally hot, dry weather for a decade or longer.

The Texas Water Development Board says the Wichita Falls water supply is on a pace to run dry by 2016.

Dogman
30th June 2014, 08:03 AM
They are doing that on the space station.

It sounds yucky for sure but as potable water sources go poof, there are some areas that have hard decisions to make . Many aquifers are being sucked bone dry and not recharging, Poof, the water is gone!

The tech does make it safe and possible to do it. As long as there are no mistakes made during processing.

Stay and paint your yards, learn how to take dust showers, truck your water in or lay pipe (huge can of worms) or move!

Some citys are in places where they never should have been started in the first place, or have grown beyond what the natural resources could support.

Cali, is a great example. Bet desalinization plant construction is the coming thing there big time.

EE_
30th June 2014, 08:18 AM
They are doing that on the space station.

It sounds yucky for sure but as potable water sources go poof, there are some areas that have hard decisions to make .

The tech does make it safe and possible to do it. As long as there are no mistakes made during processing.

Stay and paint your yards, learn how to take dust showers, truck your water in or lay pipe (huge can of worms) or move!

Some citys are in places where they never should have been started in the first place, or have grown beyond what the natural resources could support.

Cali, is a great example. Bet desalinization plant construction are the coming thing there big time.

I was thinking about getting a test kit to test the community well I'm on.
https://www.discovertesting.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=3270&catid=7&loc=show&headTitle=Well%20Water%20Test%20Kit

Dogman
30th June 2014, 08:22 AM
I was thinking about getting a test kit to test the community well I'm on.
https://www.discovertesting.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=3270&catid=7&loc=show&headTitle=Well%20Water%20Test%20Kit

Go for it , sure would not hurt to know how good your water "really" is!

gunDriller
30th June 2014, 09:02 AM
when you swim in the ocean you are swimming in a fish poop soup.

i wonder if anybody has ever surfed into a whale turd.

it was part of everyday life until the advent of chemical fertilizers.

until then, almost every molecule in our bodies was recycled poop.

i was talking to a Muslim about the Halal diet.

she said, "pigs eat shit".

i forgot to say, "you say that like it's a bad thing."

moral of the story ... some people don't like talking about certain facts of life.

AND ... on a first date, unless it's with a lady biologist or farmer, do not talk about the subject of poop in compost.

Glass
30th June 2014, 09:03 AM
I want to know if filtering gets all the psychotropics out of the water. Seems everyone is on something these days.

Dogman
30th June 2014, 09:04 AM
when you swim in the ocean you are swimming in a fish poop soup.

it was part of everyday life until the advent of chemical fertilizers.

until then, almost every molecule in our bodies was recycled poop.

i was talking to a Muslim about the Halal diet.

she said, "pigs eat shit".

i forgot to say, "you say that like it's a bad thing."

moral of the story ... some people don't like talking about certain facts of life.

AND ... on a first date, unless it's with a lady biologist or farmer, do not talk about the subject of poop in compost.

Personal experience?

Eh?

;)

osoab
30th June 2014, 09:22 AM
I want to know if filtering gets all the psychotropics out of the water. Seems everyone is on something these days.

I wouldn't limit it to psychotropic drugs. None of the pharmaceuticals that are "flushed" away are filtered out.

Cebu_4_2
30th June 2014, 10:06 AM
Tested the chlorine level here with a pool test kit, too much chlorine to safely swim in. Fluoride levels at the max limit. Bone char filter helped a lot.

Shami-Amourae
30th June 2014, 11:22 AM
The smartest thing to do in my view is to get an affordable reverse osmosis system. This is the one I use:
http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?64640-Mikro-Alpha-4-Stage-Portable-Reverse-Osmosis-System

It's portable and an be used as a "permanent" fixture in your home. I use an old Berkey system water reservoir to store and dispense my water since I switched from Berkey to Reverse Osmosis.

I have tested the water and it gets it to nearly as clean as distilled water. It basically filters EVERYTHING.

milehi
30th June 2014, 11:24 AM
Call your water district and have them come out and do chlorine risidual test. The proper procedure is to hit the hose bib with a torch then draw the water into the test kit. Watch them do the test too. In my former life I did testing for the local water district and would fudge results. In this case we fudged the number up because there was little to no chlorine in the system due to the many wells in town.

Dogman
30th June 2014, 12:06 PM
The smartest thing to do in my view is to get an affordable reverse osmosis system. This is the one I use:
http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?64640-Mikro-Alpha-4-Stage-Portable-Reverse-Osmosis-System

It's portable and an be used as a "permanent" fixture in your home. I use an old Berkey system water reservoir to store and dispense my water since I switched from Berkey to Reverse Osmosis.

I have tested the water and it gets it to nearly as clean as distilled water. It basically filters EVERYTHING.

Nice,

There was a question of psychotropic drugs.

I am not sure but suspect it would depend of pore size in a filter and the size of the molecules that make up the drugs. If larger than the filters pore size they would be stopped and cleaned up, but also the reverse is true.

Methinks the only sure way to be sure that the water is clean, is to distill it as long as there is nothing in the water with a lower temp vapor point the water would be 'clean' but also flat tasting. Think alcohol it boils at abt 173°f which is lower than water.

But in general reverse osmosis does rule.

brosil
1st July 2014, 05:49 AM
Of course, it never occurs to anyone to look at the health of the society to determine why the suicide rates are up. I wonder how many of the male suicides are from guys who could no longer take care of their families financially. How many of the female suicides are 40+ career women who realize there are no 40 year old males that will marry them and they're on the wrong end of the fertility cycle and will never have a family anyway? Then there are the teens that look at their single parents and figure they might as well check out now and avoid the same life in the future. Of course, you can medicate the population with psychotropics. Most of them have suicide as a listed side effect. I'm old. Good luck!

EE_
1st July 2014, 06:10 AM

That's not a pleasent thought...

https://heshatsheshat.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/massive-sperm-whale-poop.jpg

Here's a whale "OH SHIT!"

http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/imageswhale_small.jpg

Glass
1st July 2014, 11:20 AM

wondering what you estimate the ratio is between clean and waste water? Definitely looks the goods and would work for me. I saw they had one that re-mineralizes the water. That sounds interesting. What are the risks of leaching minerals from consuming RO water?