PDA

View Full Version : 23 Trillion Dollar Gap In Social Security.......... V

Ponce
29th July 2014, 10:03 PM
Better grease my wheelchair to be ready and roll on to the White House....... They will not stop paying SS or they would have the biggest disaster in the US..........noooooooo in the world.
==================================================

(Barbara Hollingsworth) “Social Security is insolvent,” Boston University economics professor Laurence Kotlikoff told the House Subcommittee on Social Security at a hearing on Capitol Hill Tuesday. “And it’s not bankrupt in 30 years, or 20 years, or 10 years. It’s bankrupt today.”

“This is not my opinion. This is the only conclusion one can draw from Table IVB6 of the 2013 Social Security Trustee’s Report.”

“This table reports that Social Security has a $23 trillion fiscal gap measured over the infinite horizon,” noted Kotlikoff, who also served as a senior economist on President Ronald Reagan’s Council of Economic Advisers.”

(See kotlikoff_testimony_7-28-2014.pdf)

“Twenty-three trillion dollars is 32 percent of the present value, also measured over the infinite horizon, of Social Security’s future revenues. Hence, Social Security is 32 percent underfinanced, which means it is in significantly worse financial shape than Detroit’s two pension funds taken together.”

Social Security’s debt also “swamps the $13 trillion of official debt in the hands of the public,” Kotlikoff testified.

And “the system’s off-the-books debt is growing at leaps and bounds – by $1.6 trillion between 2012 and 2013 – thanks to the approaching retirement of vast numbers of baby boomers.”

While “the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance and Disability Insurance (OASDI) Trust Fund fails the long-range test of close actuarial balance, it does satisfy the test for short-range (10-year) financial adequacy,” the2014 Trustee’s Report states.

The “combined trust fund asset reserves at the beginning of each year will exceed that year’s projected cost through 2027,” it continues. However, “depletion of combined trust funds reserves” will occur in 2033.

According to Table VI.FI “Unfunded OASDI Obligations Through the Infinite Horizon” in the 2014 report, Social Security’s fiscal gap has increased to $24.9 trillion.

Social Security cannot “sustain projected long-run program costs in full under currently scheduled financing, and legislative changes are necessary to avoid disruptive consequences for beneficiaries and taxpayers,” the trustees state.

Kotlikoff also told House members that Social Security is now in “worse financial shape today than when the Greenspan Commission ‘fixed’ it” 31 years ago.

“Today, we are looking, in the current 75-year projection widow, at 31 years of negative cash flows, which the Greenspan Commission knew were coming and willfully ignored,” he said.

The economist also accused the system’s trustees of a “disinformation” campaign to keep Americans from finding out that “Social Security is in dire financial shape.”

“To their great credit, Social Security’s actuaries have been reporting the system’s infinite horizon fiscal gap every year since 2002. And to their great shame, Social Security’s Trustees have been ignoring this comprehensive measure of the system’s insolvency every year since 2002.”

“Unfortunately, those who proclaim the strongest desire to preserve and protect Social Security, particularly its Trustees, are doing their level best to destroy the system by ignoring or substantially understating its financial problems,” he said.

Although he praised Social Security for being a “lifeline for generations of Americans who would otherwise have spent their retirements in abject poverty,” Kotlikoff testified that “nothing short of a fundamental reform of the system” will save it.

“To pay its scheduled benefits in full through time, the Social Security system needs a 32 percent immediate and permanent increase in the future path of payroll tax revenues,” Kotlikoff noted. “Alternately, to prevent having to raise its FICA payroll tax rate, the system needs to immediately and permanently cut all benefits payments by 22 percent.”

He also pointed out that Social Security, which is 32 percent underfinanced compared to its obligations, “cannot be bailed out by the rest of our fiscal system,” which is 58 percent underfinanced. In April, Kotlikoff toldCNSNews.com that “the nation’s true fiscal gap is $205 trillion. The nation is completely broke.”

Kotlikoff urged House members to support The Inform Act (H.R. 2967 and S. 1351), which has been endorsed by 17 Nobel Laureates in economics. The bill would require federal accounting agencies such as the Congressional Budget Office, the Government Accountability Office, and the Office of Management and Budget to do “infinite horizon fiscal gap” accounting for every major fiscal bill introduced in Congress.

That would require them to calculate “the present value lifetime net Federal tax burdens facing each current generation of children 18 years of age and under, as well as each future generation.”

Glass
29th July 2014, 10:26 PM
well I'd suspect both of those things will have to happen Ponce. First they will reduce the benefit which doing PR to say they are actually increasing the beneficial aspect of SS. Then of course the value of money will continue to decline so they will also reduce their obligation that way.

They cannot divert more taxes from national debt interest payments into this scheme because it is not allowed. The bond holders will not allow it. Pensions and annuities always take a beating in any debt spiral. We have seen this in Cyprus and Spain to name 2. The US is in another one and their ability to reduce interest expenses by manipulation of monetary value and bond rates is coming to an end with the decline of USD as a international settlement currency.

So the answer for you is to hope the keep it going for as long as you are still on this earth. After that time it won't matter to you. Ponzi schemes are only ponzi schemes for the people left holding the bag. For everyone who cashed out before that happens the scheme was a valuable service.

This person was flagging that it could run at current levels for another 10 years. Beyond that there will be sharp reductions or a complete end to the scheme.... or SNAP rations.

expat4ever
29th July 2014, 10:26 PM
To which the congressmen replied, broke? how can we be broke? we still have checks :D
Seriously though these guys could really care less. By the time the country catches on they will have plundered the system for everything they can and will be long gone. The new guys will blame the old guys and on and on it goes.

palani
30th July 2014, 03:40 AM
“Social Security is insolvent,” Boston University economics professor Laurence Kotlikoff told the House Subcommittee on Social Security at a hearing on Capitol Hill Tuesday. “And it’s not bankrupt in 30 years, or 20 years, or 10 years. It’s bankrupt today.”

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States

When you are discussing bankruptcy you are in the federal plane. This is a constitutional issue. I believe someone misinterpreted the above paragraph to mean that everyone in the federal plane shall be uniformly bankrupt as this condition has appeared to come about.

EE_
30th July 2014, 04:38 AM
Maybe the Feds should 'legalize' (ie control and tax) pot across US and use all the tax money and license fees to fund SS?

Glass
30th July 2014, 04:54 AM
Maybe the Feds should 'legalize' (ie control and tax) pot across US and use all the tax money to line their pockets and fu#$ the SS?

they will raise the qualifying/retiring age like they did here in Australia. I expect they will raise the retirement age to 100 at some point so they don't have to pay anyone. Legalizing pot seems to be getting lots of attention. We seem to be having the beginnings of a decriminalization/legalizing movement down here as well. Seems very coincidental it's going on all over at the same time.

expat4ever
30th July 2014, 04:57 AM
Maybe they figure they have enslaved everyone already. May as well let em smoke some weed.

EE_
30th July 2014, 05:00 AM
they will raise the qualifying/retiring age like they did here in Australia. I expect they will raise the retirement age to 100 at some point so they don't have to pay anyone. Legalizing pot seems to be getting lots of attention. We seem to be having the beginnings of a decriminalization/legalizing movement down here as well. Seems very coincidental it's going on all over at the same time.

Huge difference between decriminalization and legalizing, but yes, since China produces everything, pot factories make perfect sense to keep the ponzi scheme going.

EE_
30th July 2014, 05:03 AM
Maybe they figure they have enslaved everyone already. May as well let em smoke some weed.

Not a chance that is their reasoning.

Glass
30th July 2014, 05:05 AM

yes I think in all the distopia books or movies I've seen the proles have some drugs to take the edge off. Does it matter if it is medical marijuana or recreational use? Plans are afoot to GM MJ so I'm sure it will become shadow of itself. But then again disciples will probably do what they can to maintain the heirlooms.

EE_
30th July 2014, 06:12 AM
yes I think in all the distopia books or movies I've seen the proles have some drugs to take the edge off. Does it matter if it is medical marijuana or recreational use? Plans are afoot to GM MJ so I'm sure it will become shadow of itself. But then again disciples will probably do what they can to maintain the heirlooms.

Are these the same people that are going to allow you to have/smoke pot because it's a nice thing to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8yg-4IoRPo

Neuro
30th July 2014, 07:17 AM

Not a chance that is their reasoning.
I agree!

“Today, we are looking, in the current 75-year projection widow, at 31 years of negative cash flows, which the Greenspan Commission knew were coming and willfully ignored,” he said.
A great die-off of useless eaters will solve the problems with the underfunding, Greenspan et al knows it is coming, because they planned it for more than a century. Dead people don't smoke weed and collect social security...

Sparky
30th July 2014, 09:10 AM
they will raise the qualifying/retiring age like they did here in Australia.

Yes, this will happen for anyone currently born after 1960. (See current table below.) They will also reduce the payouts for anyone retiring early (as young as 62) which they have done in the past, and is not as politically costly because there will be no pushback/sympathy for "early retirees" from those who feel they will never be able to retire.

Year of Birth* (http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/retirechart.htm#exception)
Full Retirement Age

1937 or earlier (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1937.html)

1938 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1938.html)
65 and 2 months

1939 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1939.html)
65 and 4 months

1940 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1940.html)
65 and 6 months

1941 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1941.html)
65 and 8 months

1942 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1942.html)
65 and 10 months

1943--1954 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1943.html)

1955 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1955.html)
66 and 2 months

1956 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1956.html)
66 and 4 months

1957 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1957.html)
66 and 6 months

1958 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1958.html)
66 and 8 months

1959 (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1959.html)
66 and 10 months

1960 and later (http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/1960.html)

Ponce
30th July 2014, 09:56 AM
Well, I did retired at 62 and happy I am........my secret?.........no debts and no KIDS, once you have kids you will be in debt for ever....but for a few lucky ones.

V

mick silver
30th July 2014, 10:32 AM
what do you guys think all the new cops are for and let's not forget about the one's with the tanks they drive around . once people of this country learn how they have been focked that's when the arm goons come out to play

Sparky
30th July 2014, 01:11 PM
Well, I did retired at 62 and happy I am........my secret?.........no debts and no KIDS, once you have kids you will be in debt for ever....but for a few lucky ones.

V

True, that few things are more expensive than kids. Did you not have them by choice, or is that just the way things worked out?

Neuro
30th July 2014, 01:22 PM

V
The purpose of any successful life is to leave offspring. Anything alive today is so because they had ancestors that lived successful lives, whether they had meaningless debt scribbles on a piece of paper at the end of their lives or not...

Ponce
30th July 2014, 02:16 PM
By choice, the only two rules that I had with x wife or live in girls friends were ......... no kids......don't get fat......anything else will fight it out but break those two rules and I will simply walk out.........no one to carry the FAMOUS name of Ponce , from my end, but I'll leave that to my two half brothers, there is even a black Ponce back in Cuba.

V

7th trump
30th July 2014, 02:38 PM

V

Very selfish and self-centered perspective you have there Ponce.
Figured you lived alone for a reason.
I generally don't hang around folks who think that way about having children....kids are a blast!
yeah sure they can be a pain in the ass....but the fun times are for more rewarding joyful than the bad times.
My son is 4 going on 5 next month and hes a blast to talk with....their perspective in life is so innocent and free.

Libertytree
30th July 2014, 02:39 PM
Me and Sherri tried to have a kid, went through med stuff but it never happened. She died in the interim but the autopsy revealed that she had some type of cysts that was preventing it. I've always wondered that had things worked a little differently I might have been a dad with a 20 something yr old kid. It's been a blessing and a curse.

The odd twist to the story is that the 2cnd wife wanted kids but initially told me she didn't but changed her mind. By that time I had concluded that she would never be a fit parent and if she ever did bear my child I would take it and run as far as I could to get the youngin as far away from her as I could. Well, needless to say that marriage failed. There's a longer version of this that is truly epic but the end of the story is that she now has two kids, from possibly two different fathers and is alone by and large...last I heard.

Libertytree
30th July 2014, 02:49 PM
On another note: I'd take everything that I've paid in right now and sign a doc that I'd never ask anything from their system, just give me back my money!

Ponce
30th July 2014, 03:35 PM
Lucky for me I still have my money......is only ..........how you do it.

V

Silver Rocket Bitches!
31st July 2014, 07:34 AM
10,000 boomers a day retiring. Collecting their checks and many of them continuing to work. Like Greenspan said, they can guarantee the checks but they can't guarantee the value of them.