PDA

View Full Version : question about canning

chad
12th August 2014, 09:16 AM
my wife tried her hand at canning this weekend, but she misread the directions. she canned sliced up cucumbers, onions, and red peppers. for the bath/juice, she used 100% apple cider vinegar (5%) plus 6 tablespoons of canning salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Canned in a water bath for 15 minutes.

is this safe to eat? i'm assuming yes, as it's immersed in pure 5% apple vinegar.

eh?

old steel
12th August 2014, 10:02 AM
Sounds good, Bon Appetit!

My mother in law used to throw the smaller cukes right into the crock pot and let them sit in the brine for a week.

They were the best that way but of course once they were gone, they were gone.

palani
12th August 2014, 10:12 AM
is this safe to eat?

Depends on two things; how much do you trust her and how much does she love you?

If in doubt about either of these then try feeding it to one of the kids first.

Cebu_4_2
12th August 2014, 04:49 PM
my wife tried her hand at canning this weekend, but she misread the directions. she canned sliced up cucumbers, onions, and red peppers. for the bath/juice, she used 100% apple cider vinegar (5%) plus 6 tablespoons of canning salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Canned in a water bath for 15 minutes.

is this safe to eat? i'm assuming yes, as it's immersed in pure 5% apple vinegar.

eh?

If the lids don't pop then yes, if they have any pressure then you have to dump them. Once bacteria (cured by colloidal silver) is in the jars then they are fubarred.

Add some colloidal silver to the batch and if you can pretty much correctly you'll be good for a hundred years.

mick silver
13th August 2014, 07:25 AM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0209/0758/products/001_crock5L_11_grande.jpg?v=1369341370 hope this helps http://www.stonecreektrading.com/collections/fermenting-crocks/products/fermenting-crock-5-liter ... Fermenting Crock, 5 Liter with Stone Weights

5 Liter (1.3 gal) Stoneware Fermenting Crock
Includes matching stoneware weights, and features a waterseal airlock
Handcrafted in Poland, Lead-free and cadmium-free glaze
Comes with recipes for pickles and sauerkraut
5L crock is great for those who are just getting started and want to experiment with lacto-fermentation

Ever dreamed of naturally fermenting your own pickles or sauerkraut or kimchi at home? If so, then this stoneware fermentation crock made in Poland is just what you need! This large fermenting pot features a water seal that allows gases to escape while preventing any mold from forming. That means less work for you and a fresher, more reliable result.
When you purchase a fermentation crock from us, the stone weight is always included. You do not need to purchase additional stone weights with your order. These stone weights are manufactured to fit this specific size of crock. The correct size of stone weight is essential in keeping the contents fully submerged in order to properly ferment. We also include a recipe for both pickles and sauerkraut with each crock we ship!
Our crocks are made in Poland by Boleslawiec. Each crock is handmade, resulting in an unique, natural product. Due to their handmade nature, some minor inconsistencies between crocks may occur. However, we hand inspect each crock before shipping to ensure that they meet our high standards.
The 5L fermenting crock is great for those who are just getting started and want to experiment a little without spending too much. The smaller size is also ideal for those with small kitchens as it doesn't take up as much space.
All you need to add is water, salt and your vegetables of choice, and you are only weeks away from a pro-biotic rich, lacto-fermented superfood!
Dimensions: 9" x 9" x 13", 5 liter or 1.3 gallons

Material: Glazed Stoneware
Country of Origin: Poland

Please note: Fermenting crocks cannot be delivered to a PO box. If you order a Fermenting Crock, please provide a street address for delivery.