PDA

View Full Version : Kit O' Beer #15 - Mexican Cerveza

Glass
25th August 2014, 09:34 AM
Cerveza is spanish for beer. Mexican Cerveza, Mexican Beer. Was after a pale ale and was going to try some different hops. LHBS was moving. Not much available.

I have not done this kit yet so it's straight down the line first time. No lo compliques

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1.25 kg Brew Booster - from the preferred LHBS
2 pkt Coopers kit ale yeast - 7gms x 2 = 14gms

Changes:
Not using Coopers fermentables. Otherwise stock recipe.

OG 1.042
Volume: 23L
Fermenter: Coopers #1

Brew temp: 20C - ambient
Pitch temp: 23C
Current temp: 26C falling

Notes: Nothing much to say here. Doing a straight run to see how this beer tastes. Not top of to do list because I'm not a fan of Corona. I like Sol and one other one that has many X's in it Dos something. But I don't trust the water. The other two are more sweet.

A lot of people like this kit. We see how this goes. The extract was not the colour I expected but it sure tasted good. I'm just waiting to get to a pitching temp.

Libertytree
25th August 2014, 02:26 PM
99% of Mexicans don't consider Corona a Mex beer.

I'm eager to see how this one turns out. Did you expect the color to be lighter and it was darker?

Buddha
25th August 2014, 04:14 PM
99% of Mexicans don't consider Corona a Mex beer.

I'm eager to see how this one turns out. Did you expect the color to be lighter and it was darker?
Yep, the ones I know don't, they like Modelo. I like Negra Modelo myself.

Glass
25th August 2014, 04:43 PM
I think that is a lot like Australians not thinking Fosters is actual beer. We don't drink the crap we export it. I can't say I've seen Fosters in stores for years.

The colour is a toffee caramel colour. I thought it would be lighter and yellower or paler like straw. The beer can change appearance as it ferments so it might change. I've seen the end result of one of these so It can look lighter when done.

Glass
1st September 2014, 08:37 AM
ok well hard to imagine but this beer was nearly finished Friday. Read 1.012. I don't know how this can be. I re-read the meter a bunch of times. I don't think it's possible I could miss read it but I wonder some times. Must be the Coopers yeast. I don't think I've had one go much longer than a week. Other yeasts can take much longer. This stuff seems to go hard.

I intended to bottle it yesterday. Got to it today. All crown seals bar 2. no twisties + 5 PET's. I found a case of regular crown bottles I didn't know I had = enough for the whole batch.

Tastes like a cerveza but more like a dos equis or sol than corona so kind of on the money. I still don't really like this style. It's ok but I would drink nearly any other type of beer first. Lets see how it fares. Maybe lime or lemon makes enough difference?

I have another kit to brew now the fermenter is free. tomorrow if I have time. getting a bit of a stockpile. most will be shared when it's ready.

Glass
3rd October 2014, 02:11 AM
4 weeks in the bottle. Thought I would try one. It's still green. Has been stored in fairly cool temps. Moved half of it today to warmer climes.

Once you get over the green apple taste it is distinctly cerveza. Earlier I thought it was sweet enough it would be interesting like a Dos Equis but it is dull and uninteresting like a corona. Does anyone else get the moldy old gym shoe smell when they drink corona?

So we let set and forget it for a while. Maybe check back around eXmas. Buy some lime.

Glass
10th October 2014, 03:22 AM
words cant describe how much I dislike this style of beer. I bought a lemon. Cut it up and put it in. It's barely enough to cover the taste and smell. Beer filtered through dirty sport socks. Oh the beermanity. I thought it could have been different. Hopium.

I won't be making this one again unless some one pays me.

On the upside I guess we nailed it.

BrewTech
10th October 2014, 07:19 AM
words cant describe how much I dislike this style of beer. I bought a lemon. Cut it up and put it in. It's barely enough to cover the taste and smell. Beer filtered through dirty sport socks. Oh the beermanity. I thought it could have been different. Hopium.

I won't be making this one again unless some one pays me.

On the upside I guess we nailed it.

No beer, properly made, should ever be undrinkable. Having not tried it, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like an infection issue, or serious fermentation problem.

Glass
27th October 2014, 05:42 AM
well I'm light on for alternatives. #16 is gone. Man that was tasty. I'm looking at 2 case of this. I wish I had used other bottles. I'd give it away if I had. I think this beer is true to character. I think it's on the money. Can't stand it myself. I'll find someone to give it to. Try and get the bottles back. Then move on.

Glass
27th December 2014, 09:40 PM
I had a couple of these the other day. I was getting desperate. The Funk has left the building. We are nearly 100% funk free. Now I find this is quite drinkable. Still not what I would call a go to beer but quite acceptable. i promised what I had of this beer to some friends. they might not see any now.