PDA

View Full Version : Today's trip to "KRATER LAKE"

Ponce
25th August 2014, 06:26 PM
The lake is in the center of a dead volcano that blew up 60,000 years ago and it has a small island to one side........the water looks blue as blue can be , it was a 3.5 hours trip , one way but it was worth it.

V

Dogman
25th August 2014, 06:28 PM
Looks nice, and also a deep sob!

1,949 feet , sink your silver laden boat there and Houston we may have a problem.

Glass
25th August 2014, 07:04 PM
looks like an amazing place: Google images of Crater/Krater lake (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=crater+lake+national+park&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDUxQHyyPGKyzcAi9_3BOW OsUyac3Ja4yHWbi4gjPyy13zSjJLKoW2sHCxQZn8XLxSnPq5-gaG5pWVJhoMUpNYhBS5pPST83NyUpNLMvPz9PMSQVRiTnxBYlF 2sWjK1Ch7ISUuaWQlBUX5JUBmakp8cWZJarFo4AJteyE1LnlkN SX5pUWZxSXxiSUlRYlgoWJRNfNLdhjqihLLUnPiU1KLSzIhVhe LliqttBOS4RJFVpeTnwyV5VmfYiekyaWELJtflJ6Yl1kFVhGPU LpCWsNWSItLGVlpYnEx0F2JeSXxRam5mXkpqUXF-ok5OaIMQCBkwqWLrDY7L788JzUlPRUYGHmpOcVgV-QANZZlppYnJuWkQnTpcqnh1ZWRWBxfkJGfB1VuxqWPVzlm0EH0 WXAZ4tVXnJFfmpMSn5taBBQrzyzJiM8pBetU4uKtNumVFD0_UW-7lhCn5eOnDhzix0IEFz_Wd334SXuCAYMVt3OQY4hrkIKPo7erE gsHgwATT6BLnDGbrsuk2QVfdB9W3D_40EyIHQAnLJHCdwIAAA&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=C-r7U770NZGPuATl34CIBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=937)

I tried pasting some in but they are too big on the screen.

Does it have a monster living in it?

Dogman
25th August 2014, 07:09 PM
looks like an amazing place: Google images of Crater/Krater lake (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=crater+lake+national+park&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDUxQHyyPGKyzcAi9_3BOW OsUyac3Ja4yHWbi4gjPyy13zSjJLKoW2sHCxQZn8XLxSnPq5-gaG5pWVJhoMUpNYhBS5pPST83NyUpNLMvPz9PMSQVRiTnxBYlF 2sWjK1Ch7ISUuaWQlBUX5JUBmakp8cWZJarFo4AJteyE1LnlkN SX5pUWZxSXxiSUlRYlgoWJRNfNLdhjqihLLUnPiU1KLSzIhVhe LliqttBOS4RJFVpeTnwyV5VmfYiekyaWELJtflJ6Yl1kFVhGPU LpCWsNWSItLGVlpYnEx0F2JeSXxRam5mXkpqUXF-ok5OaIMQCBkwqWLrDY7L788JzUlPRUYGHmpOcVgV-QANZZlppYnJuWkQnTpcqnh1ZWRWBxfkJGfB1VuxqWPVzlm0EH0 WXAZ4tVXnJFfmpMSn5taBBQrzyzJiM8pBetU4uKtNumVFD0_UW-7lhCn5eOnDhzix0IEFz_Wd334SXuCAYMVt3OQY4hrkIKPo7erE gsHgwATT6BLnDGbrsuk2QVfdB9W3D_40EyIHQAnLJHCdwIAAA&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=C-r7U770NZGPuATl34CIBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=937)

I tried pasting some in but they are too big on the screen.

Probably only if Ponce took a dump!

Lol!

Ponce
25th August 2014, 07:11 PM
No Glass, I decided not to go swimming in it today.......

V

Serpo
25th August 2014, 07:12 PM
http://images.boomsbeat.com/data/images/full/33609/2-jpg.jpg

Sparky
25th August 2014, 08:34 PM
Ponce, I was there last month, but wasn't able to visit you. It was spectacular!

Sparky
25th August 2014, 08:48 PM
The rim of the volcano is a 33-mile drive, about 1000 feet above the surface of the lake, which is at 6,000 feet above sea level. We took a boat ride around the lake as well. As Ponce said, the water is incredibly blue, due to its depth and purity. It's almost entirely rainwater and snow melt, as no ground water sources lead into it. This picture is taken from the lodge on the rim. Wizard Island is visible to the left. This island emerged 2,000 years after the original volcano blew, which was actually 7,700 years ago. Get this: The mountain was originally 12,000 feet, so it blew off a mile of elevation!

Hitch
25th August 2014, 09:00 PM
Did you guys do any fishing? Any fish in the lake? Just curious...

Ponce
25th August 2014, 10:16 PM
Sorry about that Sparky...................2 tour boats is the only thing in the Krate and it travels all the way around, sorry to say that you have to walk wayyyyyyyyyy down there to get in them and with my bad leg I could not do it....amazing how many dogs were up there with their owners and with people taking picture of everyone and every thing......really fun and with an amazen beautiful day.

V

mick silver
26th August 2014, 06:27 AM
po nce is always taking a trip . nice looking place

Ponce
26th August 2014, 07:22 AM
Always taking a trip?.......my last trip to anywhere was to Cuba in 1998......inner travel in the state is only a hobby.

V

Sparky
26th August 2014, 10:52 AM
Did you guys do any fishing? Any fish in the lake? Just curious...

Their were no natural fish in the lake, because the water filling the crater is entirely from the sky. So they stocked fish decades ago. Then they regretted it, because the National Park System likes to keep everything in its most natural state, which for Crater Lake means no fish. So they actually encourage fishing, in the hopes that the fish will be removed. But it's a losing battle.

Me, I don't fish for sport.

Sparky
26th August 2014, 11:06 AM
Sorry about that Sparky...................2 tour boats is the only thing in the Krate and it travels all the way around, sorry to say that you have to walk wayyyyyyyyyy down there to get in them and with my bad leg I could not do it....amazing how many dogs were up there with their owners and with people taking picture of everyone and every thing......really fun and with an amazen beautiful day.

V

You have to walk down 700 vertical feet to the boat launch. (And, of course, back up!) It's fairly gradual, but it would be hard with a bad leg.

And yes, there are spectacular views in every direction. We hiked up to the summit of Mount Garfield (8,000), which stands 2,000 feet over the lake surface. Here are some pictures from the summit:

Dogman
26th August 2014, 11:27 AM
You have to walk down 700 vertical feet to the boat launch. (And, of course, back up!) It's fairly gradual, but it would be hard with a bad leg.

And yes, there are spectacular views in every direction. We hiked up to the summit of Mount Garfield (8,000), which stands 2,000 feet over the lake surface. Here are some pictures from the summit:

Whoo Wheee!

Do I see an ugly contest in the making? ;D

LoL!

Ponce
26th August 2014, 06:58 PM
Almost forgot...lucky you.........coming back home we say 3 marijuana fields right from I-5

While looking at the picture that we took at Krater Lake I saw this old man next to my two friends and was thinking, who the hell is that old man, I don't remember taking that photo......... :( ..........it was me, another tourist took the photo of us.

V

Tumbleweed
26th August 2014, 07:17 PM
looks like an amazing place:

I have David Paulides book 411 and I believe there have been quite a few very unusual disappeances at Crater lake. He doesn't speculate on what happened to those who disappeared but only describes the circumstances. Below is a book review of it.

http://www.reddirtreport.com/rustys-reads/book-review-missing-411-western-us-canada-david-paulides

BOOK REVIEW: Missing 411: Western United States & Canada / Unexplained disappearances of North Americans that have never been solved by David Paulides
It doesn't take long, while reading David Paulides' new book Missing 411, to realize that what the conspiracy theorists say about the government hiding the truth is all-too-true.
From the late 19th century to present day, hundreds, and perhaps even thousands, of people have gone missing in the wilds of North America, particularly in our federally-funded national parks. These people disappear without a trace, in many cases, or odd bits of evidence are found. And in fewer cases the victim is found babbling incoherently and confused about the experience they just had.
And in this first book of the two-part Missing 411 series (the second book addresses those who went missing in the Eastern United States), Paulides, in an easy-to-read, conversational tone, digs deep, offering the shocking reports that National Park Service bigwigs and other loving government officials don't want you to know about.
Writes Paulides: "I have been very concerned about the attitude that the (National Park Service) expresses about missing people. There is no national database in the NPS system identifying missing people. There is no list in each park identifying the people, the circumstances, locations, dates that they disappeared. This is very disturbing. How would a large park or a regional district ever know if there was a serial killer utilizing the park as a location to abduct victims? Answer: they wouldn't."
Continuing, Paulides states: "It's hard to imagine that a giant government law enforcement agency such as the National Park Service (NPS) doesn't monitor and track these basic statistics. This is beyond inept; it borders on complete stupidity, unless this is a calculated maneuver."
After all, if you wanted to go to Yosemite National Park in California, Glacier National Park in Montana or Crater Lake National Park in Oregon, wouldn't you want to know that these parks have "clusters of missing people with highly unusual stories," as Paulides notes.
And often the NPS was shocking in their arrogance at this researcher's simple, straightforward requests for information. Paulides spent several years writing the Missing 411 series, compiling information from various periodicals' archives and via countless Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
One particular case that has haunted Paulides has been the case of 14-year-old Stacy Anne Arras who disappeared in the summer of 1981 during a horseback adventure in Yosemite. Having decided to stretch her legs and take in the view, Stacey walked up onto a large boulder "and stared in the distance and walked into the sunset." She was never seen again.
And while the NPS has begrudgingly provided Paulides with information on other cases, when he author requested the case file on Stacey Anne Arras - a case that was 30 years old at the time of his request - a hostile NPS special agent "stated that I was not going to get the case file, ever."
Arras, he noted, is not listed in any missing person database and yet the NPS is doing everything they can to deny a researcher access to the case file. As Paulides asks, "Why has this case been withheld from the public?"
The cases continue. In the mid-1970's, at Crater Lake National Park in Oregon, photographer Charles McCullar went to the park to photograph the picturesque site in its winter element. He disappeared - at least until bits of his bones were found and his boots were missing and his pants were found in a position "as if he had melted into them." Another odd case where the remains are found in a remote and hard-to-reach location.
Three-year old Jaryd Atadero went missing in the Comanche Peak Wilderness in Colorado in the autumn of 1999. He was with a Christian singles group led by his father, Allyn Atadero and the playful boy had run on down the trail as boys do. Other than an alleged encounter with a fisherman where Jaryd asked "Are there bears in these woods?" no one ever saw Jaryd alive again.
Four years later, in 2003, hikers found some clothing that turned out to be Jaryd's. However, the clothing was found 550 feet up from the trail where Jaryd was last seen. A very steep and difficult area to get too, especially for A bit of a child's skull and one tooth were found.
Asks Paulides: "How did Jaryd and his clothes get up the hill if he couldn't have climbed up there himself?"
The author notes that Jaryd's case echoes the aforementioned McCullar case at Crater Lake.
And that's the thing. Over the course of his research, Paulides notes definite patterns developing. Many of the victims are males and the females that are victims tend to have shorter-length hair.
Young children, even in close proximity to their parents will vanish without a trace. Or, when they are found, bruised, scratched up and disoriented, they will be found many miles away and even at a higher elevation than they were at when they disappeared. As Paulides notes, children always go downhill when lost, not uphill.
The cases - and there are many presented here - will leave you baffled and a little uneasy. Who or what is abducting and, in some cases, killing innocent adult and child hikers and visitors into the wild? While one can speculate that it is "gorillas" as one child noted in a 1950's case, or even suggest that rogue Bigfoot-type creatures are attacking these victims, that still remains unclear. In a couple of cases, primitive lean-tos are found and children even say that they slept under logs or are found completely dry following a day of heavy rain. Where were they? Who helped them?
Again, a private individual, David Paulides, has done the job our government should be doing. This information is important as it is shocking and disturbing. Why are so many people going missing in our national parks and wilderness areas? There are more questions than answers in Missing 411: Western United States & Canada, and that's unsettling.
Paulides ends his book with some good advice when it comes to visiting our national parks and wilderness areas: "Always walk in pairs when you are hiking, and please carry a personal transponder. "
Red Dirt Report has lined up an interview with David Paulides in a week or so. We have plenty of questions to ask this inquisitive researcher. For more information go to www.canammissing.com (http://www.canammissing.com).
- See more at: http://www.reddirtreport.com/rustys-reads/book-review-missing-411-western-us-canada-david-paulides#sthash.hwsD3g7S.dpuf

Glass
26th August 2014, 07:34 PM
we had a forest like that down here. Belangalo forest. Don't know how many 1 guy killed or if there were other killers.

They made a movie based on the story called Wolf Creek. Thing is, it was a person killing them. Sounds like the 411 story might have other entities involved.

Hitch
26th August 2014, 08:13 PM
Their were no natural fish in the lake, because the water filling the crater is entirely from the sky. So they stocked fish decades ago. Then they regretted it, because the National Park System likes to keep everything in its most natural state, which for Crater Lake means no fish. So they actually encourage fishing, in the hopes that the fish will be removed. But it's a losing battle.

Me, I don't fish for sport.

True, but it is possible that the lake, in its most natural state, would have fish in it. There are theories that birds can transport fish eggs in the feather and stock lakes. For a lot of unknown reasons, man made lakes, un-stocked, end up with fish in them.

They don't even know how salmon return to their place of birth for breeding. They apparently can "smell" their place of birth 1000's of miles away through the ocean, and find their way back to breed when adults. Truly amazing to comprehend, really. But they do.