PDA

View Full Version : Kit O' Beer #16 - Australiarillo Pale Ale

Glass
30th August 2014, 10:52 AM
Drove across town today on the whisper of some Columbus hops. No cigar but spent on some supplies anyway. A bit on the expensive side. Scored some Amarillo hops. Store was dead but most everywhere was today.

I have 2 of this kit. I thought I would do 2 different dry hops. I also scored some chinook in place of columbus but I don't think it's a good substitute for what I want. From what I see it's more of a bittering hop. So I might do better to use them in a boil with other hops.

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1.25 kg Brew Booster - from the preferred LHBS
1 pkt SafeAle US-04 11 gms
30gms Amarillo pellet hops

Changes:
Using LHBS brew fermentables. Otherwise stock recipe plus the Amarillo hops. Brewing to 22L which explains the higher OG this time.

OG 1.048
Volume: 22L
Fermenter: Regular #1

Brew temp: 20C - ambient
Pitch temp: 24C
Current temp: 23C falling

Notes: Brewed before. Was a dry finish beer. I thought it would be a good base to hop. I was going to do another 2UP. 2 of same beer with different hop. Still may do a 2nd batch but not chinook.

Libertytree
30th August 2014, 11:03 AM
The Columbus is more of a bittering hop too. Used them multiple of times in the boil and have always worked well. Maybe boil with the Amarillo and dry hop with some aromatic hops?

BrewTech
30th August 2014, 08:25 PM
The Columbus is more of a bittering hop too. Used them multiple of times in the boil and have always worked well. Maybe boil with the Amarillo and dry hop with some aromatic hops?

Amarillo is an aromatic hop, and very hard to get often, as it is a proprietary variety. Columbus is a high-alpha, dual-purpose hop. I use it for bittering (smoother bitterness that Chinook, IMO), and it makes an excellent dry hop.

I would recommend not wasting that Amarillo using it for bittering. Flameout addition or dry hop only.

Glass
30th August 2014, 11:17 PM
yes I will dry hop this one with Amarillo. I will go and grab something else to dry hop the 2UP of this. (#17). Have a week at least.

Already thinking on the use for the Chinook. I've seen a few people brewing 2 can liquid ME + boil + hops. They usually go 2 of the same. 2 x light or 2x amber. I'm thinking 1 of each then some hop schedule using cascade, chinook and maybe 1 other. Maybe something in the middle for bitter. Mild IPA?

So KoB #7 method with 1 light, 1 amber, cascade, chinook + ??

Glass
3rd September 2014, 03:58 AM
unfortunately I think I am going to have to dump this one. I need to travel and I'll be gone about 9 days. I don't think it will make it. I'm wondering whether I should dump it or leave it to its own devices and see how it looks when I get back. I have 1 day before I go. Maybe I can rack it to secondary before I go.

Any thoughts? I like secondary racking.

Either way I think this will be my last brew for a while.

BrewTech
3rd September 2014, 06:55 AM
unfortunately I think I am going to have to dump this one. I need to travel and I'll be gone about 9 days. I don't think it will make it. I'm wondering whether I should dump it or leave it to its own devices and see how it looks when I get back. I have 1 day before I go. Maybe I can rack it to secondary before I go.

Any thoughts? I like secondary racking.

Either way I think this will be my last brew for a while.

Don't ever dump a beer before it's finished. If you need to leave it, get it off the yeast (as long as it has had time to clean up post fermentation) and try to get it somewhere cool. Then proceed with it when you get back. If you bottle it, and it sucks, then dump it. You took the time to make it, so at least get all the way through before discarding it... you may be throwing out the best beer you ever made.

Neuro
3rd September 2014, 01:20 PM
It should be pretty cool in Australia now, put it in a cool place, and slow the fermentation down while you are away. I don't know about beer, but wine generally gets better if it is fermenting slowly.

Glass
4th September 2014, 07:50 AM
The beers at 1.017 so it still has some way to go. I'm going to let it ride. Let the ambient temps run things. It doesn't look like the temps will be very high.

Libertytree
4th September 2014, 07:56 AM
It sounds like it'll be ok. Have a good trip.

BrewTech
4th September 2014, 11:56 AM
Beer is pretty resilient...it will be fine.

Glass
15th September 2014, 07:15 AM
racked this one today. 16 days in primary/ 2 weeks 2 days.

31gms/1oz Amarillo.

The aroma Amarillo I have is not intense. Not familiar but felt I wanted more strength when I smelt it. Its good. Ideas forming with one more hop experience in the bag.

Took an SG yesterday and it was 1.010. Looked a bit cloudy like a pale ale would. Today when I pulled the covers off, it's a rich amber. Mahogany. The colour does not look pale ale. I took another sample today before racking and its crystal clear and golden in smaller amounts. I think I pulled a lot of yeast yesterday. It had a taste that wasn't present when I racked it today.

Seems it's all good.

Glass
15th September 2014, 07:18 AM
moving right along

Libertytree
16th September 2014, 11:40 AM
The more I've thought about it, I love the term/word "Australiarillo"! It feels like a marketable commodity, so who knows, maybe if you perfect this batch you'll have a hit?!

Dogman
16th September 2014, 11:44 AM
The more I've thought about it, I love the term/word "Australiarillo"! It feels like a marketable commodity, so who knows, maybe if you perfect this batch you'll have a hit?!

This sorta comes to mind, just change the label on the bottle!

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6783&stc=1

BrewTech
16th September 2014, 12:29 PM
This sorta comes to mind, just change the label on the bottle!

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6783&stc=1

That's "Amarillo", not "armadillo", silly!

Dogman
16th September 2014, 12:33 PM
Texas translation! ;D

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6785&stc=1

Glass
17th September 2014, 02:57 AM
I think Amarillo is copyright so maybe there'd be fees? On the other side, a popular beer with brand name hops is good for the hops sales business BUT maybe not in the name itself. Can't say I've been paying attention to names and if they contain the hop names.

I'm keen to try all grains because I've got a few recipe ideas in my head. Style of beer and how I would focus the flavours and for most of those I've got names already based on what they would represent. My heads been swimming with ideas for months now. I will am going to do one of them with a kit base. I think the base is pretty solid for what I have in mind. I need a bit more feedback.

Libertytree
17th September 2014, 07:36 AM
I think Amarillo is copyright so maybe there'd be fees? On the other side, a popular beer with brand name hops is good for the hops sales business BUT maybe not in the name itself. Can't say I've been paying attention to names and if they contain the hop names.

I'm keen to try all grains because I've got a few recipe ideas in my head. Style of beer and how I would focus the flavours and for most of those I've got names already based on what they would represent. My heads been swimming with ideas for months now. I will am going to do one of them with a kit base. I think the base is pretty solid for what I have in mind. I need a bit more feedback.

IMO, Australiarillo is a completely new word/term. Damn slick if ya ask me, kudos.

Glass
27th September 2014, 11:52 PM
ok got around to bottling this one today. Case of Idonwanna for the past week. Once we got down to it, things went smooth enough.

approx 64 bottles. 4 PET + 56 x11oz
162gms dextrose bulk primed.

due to circumstances this was one slow brewed beer. Just over 4 weeks. 2 in secondary dry hopped. The aroma on this one is soft. The flavour is stronger. I get pineapple from this one. That's mostly it. I taste this and I think there should be some rum in there somewhere.

I can see why this is popular with cascade and some of the other hop combos'. I would definately throw this one in again.

In the fermenter this one has a red tinge to it. In the hose it's clear and light, almost colourless. In the bottle golden with a haze to it. Looks like the other ales I've brewed. Its a dry beer but not pound of salt dry. I think corona is the driest beer I know. It is dry like that. In every other way it's nothing like corona.

Horn
28th September 2014, 08:00 AM
Austraipalido, because swimming with your ale shouldn't make you sink.

lol