PDA

View Full Version : Interesting perspective on not buying pre-made Survival Food

General of Darkness
23rd September 2014, 01:02 PM
I was considering buying some additional Mountain House buckets, I just having a weird feeling so I came across this comment that was against it and I like the thinking.

People, you are killing me.

Why are you going to buy overpriced "survival food" that you have to put away for who-knows-how -many-years and depend on it to be good when you need it? These "meals" are low in nutrients, high in salt and chemicals, and generally just not very good. They're OK, I've eaten most of them... they're a a fun novelty on a hiking trip... but stuff you can get in your local supermarket is much better.

Here's what you do:
Buy a nice lockable heavy-duty plastic storage bin. Go to the supermarket and search the aisles... take your time and look around. Look for packaged food that will last up to a year. That's right... just ONE year. Figure out how much of a particular item you find will be enough for one reasonable serving. Get three times that amount. Do this for thirty (30) different food items. That gives you ninety (90) serving of food, three meals per day for thirty days, ONE MONTH of food.
If you want to get particular (as I do), make 10 of those items of food breakfast items, so you have 30 days of breakfast, and the rest is lunch or dinner. Don't forget a set of cheap salt & pepper shakers! (hit up a fast food joint and grab a few handfuls of individual condiment packets, too... they're free!) Take everything home, get a notepad, and write down each item as you place it into your storage bin. Keep the list in the bin with the food. Now you have ONE FULL MONTH of emergency food for one person (or 10 days for three people), secure storage, and a way to keep track of what you have eaten, and what you have left. Obviously, if you want to keep a month's worth of food for more than one person, you'll have to do some math here and buy more, and probably another storage bin for each person. I'm not going to walk you through that. Figure it out.
Now, mark the outside of the bin clearly with a marker or label, however you want, with the date you filled the bin.
After one year, EAT THE FOOD!!!! Be sure you make note of anything that didn't keep too well, anything you want to replace with something else, or any other notes.
Now take your list with your notes to the store and do it all over again. OH, stop complaining, you lazy bastard!!! Yes, do it again. Buy a new FRESH supply of emergency food that won't go to waste, and a variety that YOU hand-picked to your liking.

Some ideas:
-ANYTHING canned is good. 1 can is a nice full serving (maybe two servings), and you don't need to worry about finding/adding/measuring/heating water. Freeze dried food is great until you're short on water, short on fuel to boil water, or short on time to stop and cook a meal. It's nice to just open a can and eat. Chef Boyardee and SPAM were originally designed as military rations! Some people will argue this point, saying that cans are too heavy. Yeah, they are... if you're BACKPACKING all of your food across the state. If it's sitting in your basement or getting loaded into the back or your truck, it's fine. Plus, again, that's less water you need to carry/find/purify/boil.
-Jarred food is good, too... but remember glass breaks... careful there.
-Get a nice big jar of peanut butter and a couple different flavors of jams or jelly... they'll last forever. Who cares if you don't have bread...a few spoonfuls of each and you've got plenty of energy. That goes for honey, too.
-Packets of noodles or rice (I like Lipton/Knorr pasta and rice sides. They call to add butter, but they're fine without it). But beware of dried noodles in cups... lots of wasted space inside and they're an odd shape that wastes space inside your bin.
-Bullion cubes are great to add to a cup of hot water for simple soup, and they take up very little space in your bin.
-Pop tarts are sealed in mylar, and a nice breakfast item warmed over your lantern or on a hot rock... or eat cold!
-Powdered milk is good to have for a hundred things... I've made milkshakes in the middle of the woods with no blender or ice!
-Mashed potato packets- get rid of the box, more wasted space.
-JERKY. Need I say more? Yes I do... Buy it for $6 an ounce or make your own for 1/16 that cost.
...ETC... Like i said, take your time, look around, and look at each food item in a new way, with a new purpose.

I have 4 bins, one for me, one for my wife, one for my son, and one with random spare food items. I filled all four for $110. That's 270 servings of food (one full month for each of us!) plus 90 servings of backup/spare/alternate food and condiments... all for $0.30 per serving!!! 30 CENTS PER SERVING!!!! This Mountain House food, for example costs SIX TIMES that much, almost $2.00 per "meal" (one serving is very small and bland) plus you still need to add water to each.

Also, buy either a large 5-gallon water-cooler type jug of water, or a few cases of bottled water, and put it on top of your emergency food bin. Good to have.

Now you have plenty of food you can depend on. If you have to leave your home for whatever reason requires you to, grab your bins and your cases of water, pack them in your truck or SUV, and go. A good idea is to have a portable stove to take with you if you need to leave your home, or if your electricity or gas service is interrupted.

PLEASE stop buying "survival food" and whatever you do, DO NOT buy cases of "Emergency Water" packets!!!
That would make you stupid. Good luck everyone!

midnight rambler
23rd September 2014, 01:11 PM
Food production is where it's at. I have a one year supply of 'no cooking required' Alpine Aire JIC, and I didn't realize that it was loaded with a form of MSG until after I got it. I have it for emergency use only. In the future if one is not growing sufficient food for themselves and their loved ones then they will likely not make it.

Go to the supermarket and search the aisles

Yeah, just keep right on searching until you don't find highly processed food, a toxic cocktail full of nasty food chemicals and gmos - good luck with that. I consider the vast majority of items in any grocery store these days to be unhealthy crap loaded with high fructose corn syrup and/or some form of MSG. Anymore I only shop at Whole Foods or a local co-op that's even more hardcore natural.

You are what you eat. And eat what you store, store what you eat.

Dogman
23rd September 2014, 01:18 PM
Sad to say dependable long term preservation of food, sometimes needs help!

24/7/365 diet only idiots would use day to day, short term and long term harm, depend on how long they are consumed. Will it be noticed short and long term, probably depends on the individual and metabolism.

It is called "survival food after all!

The alternative is....... well you know! ;)

palani
23rd September 2014, 01:44 PM
Buy a cow and a bull. After one year you will have a cow, a bull and a calf. Butcher the bull several months after the cow has the calf. Then the next year you will have a cow and two calves and a freezer full of meat. Buy another bull. The following year you will least have a third calf and maybe even another if the first calf was a heifer. And so on.

Pretty soon you won't need to buy meat. And your garden will have all sorts of fertilizer. And your kids will have milk (don't try to get the milk from the bull).

Dogman
23rd September 2014, 01:58 PM
Buy a cow and a bull. After one year you will have a cow, a bull and a calf. Butcher the bull several months after the cow has the calf. Then the next year you will have a cow and two calves and a freezer full of meat. Buy another bull. The following year you will least have a third calf and maybe even another if the first calf was a heifer. And so on.

Pretty soon you won't need to buy meat. And your garden will have all sorts of fertilizer. And your kids will have milk (don't try to get the milk from the bull). Depends if the first calf is a bull, leave him alone in until his replacement is up and running!

Note! It takes several years for a bull calf to be a up and ready adult along with the attitude!

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6802&stc=1

Other than that good advice for they that have the land!

crimethink
23rd September 2014, 02:03 PM
Long-term food storage is for those who are unable or unwilling to engage in the constant work of rotating short-term food storage.

Neuro
23rd September 2014, 02:06 PM
Canned mackerel in tomatosauce lasts 5 years according to best before date, but I wouldn't be surprised 15 years in my root cellar full of omega 3 and proteins , and the vitamins of the tomatosauce, and tastes good, costs about a dollar a can 5 oz... Good with bread, boiled potatoes or on it's own. Never bought any freeze dried stuff.

Dogman
23rd September 2014, 02:16 PM
Canned mackerel in tomatosauce lasts 5 years according to best before date, but I wouldn't be surprised 15 years in my root cellar full of omega 3 and proteins , and the vitamins of the tomatosauce, and tastes good, costs about a dollar a can 5 oz... Good with bread, boiled potatoes or on it's own. Never bought any freeze dried stuff. freeze dried has come along way from its inception.

But dam it to hell it is pricy if store boughten, (past way of saying)

Better to roll your own!

Humm?

What ever happened to sirgonzo?

EE_
23rd September 2014, 02:47 PM
I'll stick with my Mountain House (pre-Fukushima) I tried rotating food in the beginning and it was too much trouble. As it got old, I didn't want to eat it anyway.
If you're planning to rotate food, you might be doing it for the next 20 years. Nothing is going to happen anyway.
Storing enough can/dry goods that have a good shelf life is fine, after that freeze dried is the way to go.
You will not be eating the freeze dried every day in the event something happens. It is a supplement to what you can find elsewhere during a collapse, or emergency. For a period, you may be able to hunt for food like deer, squirrel, rabbits and birds for meat.

Sparky
23rd September 2014, 04:03 PM
I've been advocating the rotation method for years. Do the math, figure out how much inventory to have on hand of each item. Buy what you like to eat.

I don't find it to be much work. Actually, it's rather satisfying to see the inventory continually replenished.

If you want to buy a 20-year bucket and tuck it away somewhere, fine. You can break that out for when your inventory of enjoyable food runs out.

Dachsie
23rd September 2014, 04:05 PM
Interesting info.

Have to say it does not fit my lifestyle and situation though.

I try to some preparedness and do have the room and have a spare fridge/freezer in garage. I carry food, water, tarps and wool blankets in SUV..

You kind of have to decide what level of comfort you want to have in the kind of emergency situation you are likely to encounter. Overall, all of the preparedness food sold over alternative radio is no good at all and should stay away from it like original poster said.

I have tried several mountain house and the only one I like is the chili / macaroni / beef. It tastes very good and does not have enough bad stuff in it to activate my leaky gut/hives thing. I live close to a Walmart and can get them there and price is a little better than other places. You can add flavorings and butter and meat to them to spif them up a bit. Basically I stay away from any boxed or canned and preparedness foods because of the additives and dyes cause that is what messes me up. It is kind of hard to find canned food that only have barebones ingredients and no extra junk in them. Water and salt should be only extra ingredients. Bush beans is a good brand. Read the label.

I keep peanut butter and canned sardines (7 year shelf life) and canned corn and canned black beans with no additives just salt. Cosco brand of white tuna is very good but not really cheap. I am no longer a member.

Would like to know where to buy a SQUARE bucket for food storage. Round is not best use of car space. Also would like to buy a small foldable stove like of stainless steel or cast iron. I carry the always burn matches.
I used to save the free health food bar or one dollar off one coupons so I got several fo those nasty sugar loaded health bar thingees in my freezer that I can grab if I need them.

I posted a recipe for some ground meat jerky somewhere around here a few days ago. The ground meat kind would seem to work the best. I would just flavor the meat and roll it out big and thin on a big sheet between wax or parchment paper. Stick in freezer and freeze lightly. Can cut in sticks either before or after freezing. Then place stiks on rack in low over and let dry that way. MAy take several hours. I have not done it yet but it seems like a good idea to get some ground beef jerky you can put quality flavorings in it - not junk. They can be broken up and put in with canned beans or other stuff and kind of makes a meal.

WATER: Always have two ways to clean potable water. I always have a couple of jugs of distilled water in my car. I do have some of those water packets. and I have a small water filter thing that just gets out the bad stuff but does not remove flouride and stuff that requires special filter. Got it online at eaither Walmart or Amazon. Did you know if you have one of those plastic bottles with screw-on lid that gallon of milk comes in, you can put a clean empty one out in the sun and condensation will form a little water inside. Also can gather water from lake or stream in those so have a couple. That is how some guy survived in a tiny boat for several months in the ocean and he wrote a book about it. A dehumidifier in a house puts out clean fluoride free water.

One other tip and this is more for someone who lives up north. Whenever I can buy large candles at garage sales or thrift stores for cheap, I buy them and keep them in a box with trays and matches. When a power outage have good light and did you know in a small room with a little vintilation, you can keep a room above freezing temp with several lit candles. If live in a high rise and theres a hurricane or whatever and building without heat, can maybe save some people this way.

Dogman
23rd September 2014, 04:32 PM
Water storage is nice if it can be sealed in a container that made of what will not leach into the water.Stored water does have a life span, before it starts tasting (off ? ) but it is amazing what it will over dissolve, given time besides its bulk and weight.

Filters are the answer to that problem.

For drinking water I have a couple of these stashed back, neat thing about them no replacement needed, just do pre filtering to extend time before cleaning/back flushing, no replacement necessary . They will remove all harmful critters and most viruses according to specs, tho drop of chlorine would not hurt!

One million gallons calmed lifetime also does not hurt! ;)

Not good for instant volume for other uses than drinking/cooking but what the hay!

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP191-Purifier-Assembly/dp/B0051HHNJ8/ref=sr_1_13?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411514816&sr=1-13

It is drinking water, cooking water will sterilize by the heat.

zap
23rd September 2014, 09:10 PM
Don't forget ..... I have tried the packaged goods ,be it pop tarts, crackers, pastas, etc. after a few years they taste like the plastic they are packaged in, Gross into the garbage or out to the animal they go, when you buy, buy products in glass jars, or package them yourself into glass jars.

Dogman
23rd September 2014, 09:19 PM
Don't forget ..... I have tried the packaged goods ,be it pop tarts, crackers, pastas, etc. after a few years they taste like the plastic they are packaged in, Gross into the garbage or out to the animal they go, when you buy, buy products in glass jars, or package them yourself into glass jars.

Yep,

Glass is the only one neutral, that I know of!

Hitch
23rd September 2014, 09:26 PM
The mountain house meals I really like, but I could see eating them every day would not be good for one's health. I do have some, but I keep it simple with preps for emergencies. Canned bacon (yes good!) and powdered eggs for breakfast. Each day, it's the best meal, ever. Bacon and eggs. Start your day with that, and you are golden.

Rice. Canned meats and local caught fish is next. Cans of chili and fruit to supplement. I hope to always be able to barter for fresh vegetables being where I'm at.

I have bought a few survival buckets of unknown "food" and do consider them a waste of money. Buy and store the basics, imo. No need to get too crazy and fancy.