PDA

View Full Version : California harvest much smaller than normal across crops

crimethink
28th September 2014, 11:05 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/28/6739735/california-harvest-much-smaller.html

HARVEST AT A GLANCE

Although harvest of many crops isn’t complete, production is sure to fall.

Rice: Growers planted 140,000 fewer acres than last year, a drop of 25 percent.

Almonds: Crop estimated at 1.9 billion pounds, down from 2 billion last year.

Corn: Production down by an estimated 45 percent.

Cotton: Acres planted shrank by 23 percent.

Oranges: Crop expected to decline 4 percent.

Grapes: Production expected to fall as much as 9 percent.

Wheat: Expected to fall 40 percent

The effect goes beyond the farm fields. N&S Tractor, which sells Case IH brand farm equipment throughout the Central Valley, has seen business tail off as farmers conserve cash.

“It’s not just our dealership,” said N&S marketing director Tim McConiga Jr., who works out of the company’s sales office in Glenn County. “You talk to John Deere, you talk to Caterpillar, everyone is going to tell you their numbers are down.”

Neuro
29th September 2014, 03:55 AM
I would have expected way less, if the headlines of catastrophic drought was to be trusted...

palani
29th September 2014, 04:40 AM
I would have expected way less, if the headlines of catastrophic drought was to be trusted...

Floods are far worse for production than droughts are.

Neuro
29th September 2014, 04:47 AM
2014 should be a very good year for Californian wine. Flavours becomes more concentrated with less grapes...

Hitch
29th September 2014, 07:02 AM
Prices have doubled for most produce out here at the local farmer's market. Tomatoes are now $1.49 a pound, lettuce $1.50 for one head, instead of two. Artichokes were 4 for $5.

Horn
29th September 2014, 07:16 AM
Prices have doubled for most produce out here at the local farmer's market. Tomatoes are now $1.49 a pound, lettuce $1.50 for one head, instead of two. Artichokes were 4 for $5.

The larger part due to speculation, same thing happened here 2 months ago.

They've drifted back down 20% recently.

EE_
29th September 2014, 07:20 AM
2014 should be a very good year for Californian wine. Flavours becomes more concentrated with less grapes...

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/Global/international/planet-2/image/2006/5/radionucleotides-might-feature.jpg

This may come as a surprise to many people, who would naturally assume that grapes are washed after picking but prior to fermentation to remove all traces of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides. Sadly, that is not the case. The obvious question is "Why not wash the grapes?" Unfortunately this is not possible, as grapes are normally 'machine harvested' and the grape skins are damaged by the picking equipment and grape juice is released. In other words, the collection containers are filled with damaged grapes in a sort of liquid mush, and there in no way that the grapes can be washed.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022739_wine_alcohol_chemicals.html##ixzz3EiNcvG1e

Neuro
29th September 2014, 09:34 AM
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/Global/international/planet-2/image/2006/5/radionucleotides-might-feature.jpg

This may come as a surprise to many people, who would naturally assume that grapes are washed after picking but prior to fermentation to remove all traces of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides. Sadly, that is not the case. The obvious question is "Why not wash the grapes?" Unfortunately this is not possible, as grapes are normally 'machine harvested' and the grape skins are damaged by the picking equipment and grape juice is released. In other words, the collection containers are filled with damaged grapes in a sort of liquid mush, and there in no way that the grapes can be washed.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022739_wine_alcohol_chemicals.html##ixzz3EiNcvG1e
I intend to handpick my grapes, or rather have them hand picked! And then have them stomped by virgin feet...

Horn
29th September 2014, 10:40 AM
I intend to handpick my grapes, or rather have them hand picked! And then have them stomped by virgin feet...

Hard to find that kind of labor these days.

Not to worry will change the age records to avoid any questions in the future...

Dogman
29th September 2014, 11:50 AM
Hard to find that kind of labor these days.

Not to worry will change the age records to avoid any questions in the future... In the part of the world that house is in finding that type of labor probably will be easy and at a sutible age, unlike in the west where it would be maybe iffy to do the same.

Neuro
29th September 2014, 12:09 PM
In the part of the world that house is in finding that type of labor probably will be easy and at a sutible age, unlike in the west where it would be maybe iffy to do the same.
True! Things are changing here, but I think teenage sex is much less common here still...

Now does anyone know anything about electronic scarecrows that actually work on crows, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Hitch
29th September 2014, 12:24 PM
Now does anyone know anything about electronic scarecrows that actually work on crows, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Sure do, he used to post here...Magnes. You did say electronic, did you mean work on crows or internet posters?

Neuro
29th September 2014, 12:32 PM
Sure do, he used to post here...Magnes. You did say electronic, did you mean work on crows or internet posters?
He's too Greek to work on my land ! We Troyans have a history with the Greeks you know!

Dogman
29th September 2014, 12:40 PM
He's too Greek to work on my land ! We Troyans have a history with the Greeks you know! The reply's to your post has so many possibility's it hurts thinking of them in so many ways. And the responses that can be generated dam near endless!

Lmfao!

Least to say there is no love lost between the cultures.

Hows Cyprus hanging?

Neuro
29th September 2014, 01:02 PM
The reply's to your post has so many possibility's it hurts thinking of them in so many ways. And the responses that can be generated dam near endless!

Lmfao!

Least to say there is no love lost between the cultures.

Hows Cyprus hanging?
Down. Our claim to Troy stretches back further than the Israelites claim to Palestine...
http://www.osterholm.net/swedes.html

Dogman
29th September 2014, 01:05 PM
Down. Our claim to Troy stretches back further than the Israelites claim to Palestine...
http://www.osterholm.net/swedes.html

Oh I know, the two cultures/peoples have been after each other and going at it for literally eons.

Your link is interesting, thanks it will give me something to dig into, was not aware of the possible Swedish link and history.

Neuro
29th September 2014, 01:16 PM
Oh I know, the two cultures/peoples have been after each other and going at it for literally eons.

Your link is interesting, thanks it will give me something to dig into, was not aware of the possible Swedish link and history.
It hurts us when the ugly Greek horse of deceit is called a Troyan horse. This is how a Troyan horse should look like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Dalahäst_i_avesta.jpg

Dogman
29th September 2014, 01:24 PM
It hurts us when the ugly Greek horse of deceit is called a Troyan horse. This is how a Troyan horse should look like:

OH ! MY GOD ! {0}

Its the not so little My little pony!

I can understand your wanting to wrap your arms around it, thanks for providing the scale and reference, the thing is frigging huge, bet a thousand could be packed sardine style in that big baby!

Hoot!

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6824&stc=1

;D

crimethink
29th September 2014, 01:35 PM

Is there a sign somewhere that says World's Largest Dala Horse?

Horn
29th September 2014, 01:43 PM
The records still need to be changed to avoid any questions in the future.

Neuro
29th September 2014, 01:57 PM
The records still need to be changed to avoid any questions in the future.
Troyans don't keep records. We just don't forget! We don't forgive either! ;D

Neuro
29th September 2014, 01:58 PM
Is there a sign somewhere that says World's Largest Dala Horse?
Do you think it needs a sign? ;D

gunDriller
29th September 2014, 02:12 PM
The California Cannabis harvest is off-the-charts.

Go to a magazine forum like ICMag.com and check out the pics. In Mendo & Humboldt, people are growing 25 plants per parcel in 100 gallon 'smart pots'. Typical plant size is 5 pounds dry yield.

They get all the water they need, because they can afford to pay for it.

Horn
29th September 2014, 02:53 PM
Looks like a Swede at the hoof...

Neuro
29th September 2014, 02:56 PM
Looks like a Swede at the hoof...
It ain't me...

Horn
29th September 2014, 03:02 PM
It ain't me...

Your brother at least, has the Iphone sewn into where is appendix used to be...

crimethink
29th September 2014, 04:30 PM
The California Cannabis harvest is off-the-charts.

Go to a magazine forum like ICMag.com and check out the pics. In Mendo & Humboldt, people are growing 25 plants per parcel in 100 gallon 'smart pots'. Typical plant size is 5 pounds dry yield.

They get all the water they need, because they can afford to pay for it.

Actually, most of the water used in the Emerald Triangle for marijuana is stolen, from streams, creeks, and lakes.

Most of the water districts have extreme restrictions, and will "investigate" if non-household-use levels of water consumption are detected.

Dogman
29th September 2014, 06:47 PM
It ain't me... Hope you realize when quoting your post and the picture, the picture magnifier's a zillion time and gives a very nice close up shot of the blond dude wanting to hug the big horsey!

LMFAOROTF!

Peace! ;D

aint you magoo!

Hitch
29th September 2014, 07:10 PM
He's too Greek to work on my land ! We Troyans have a history with the Greeks you know!

Put a straw hat on Magnes and call it good, stick him out in the field. If he's half as good at chasing crows, as he is chasing away internet posters...your problem is solved!

Cebu_4_2
29th September 2014, 07:18 PM
Put a straw hat on Magnes and call it good, stick him out in the field. If he's half as good at chasing crows, as he is chasing away internet posters...your problem is solved!

I think Magness was just pissed off beyond, he did offer a lot of information until the boiling point about other posters. If he lost that part I think he was worthy.

Hitch
29th September 2014, 07:30 PM
I think Magness was just pissed off beyond, he did offer a lot of information until the boiling point about other posters. If he lost that part I think he was worthy.

I hope if he reads this, he has a sense of humor. I think he does, otherwise I wouldn't post jokes aimed at him.

Life is short. It's good to have a laugh or three. No harm, just good fun, imo.

Cebu_4_2
29th September 2014, 07:35 PM
I hope if he reads this, he has a sense of humor. I think he does, otherwise I wouldn't post jokes aimed at him.

Life is short. It's good to have a laugh or three. No harm, just good fun, imo.

I don't think at the extreme end he had any humor at all. He was pissed at the hijacking of his posts and got too defensive. I was put on the boiler when questioned about you (Solid) and could have thrown in the towel because I get very little of this forum. I put in way to much for what I learn. (used to). This is like reading the funnies in a paper, some things are enlightening where others are not.

Dogman
29th September 2014, 07:54 PM

Life is short. It's good to have a laugh or three. No harm, just good fun, imo. Hitch you are so wrong!

He is a is a grudge holding, vindictive sob, that never forgives, or forgets, it is his way or no way. You question or stand up to him you are on his shit list forever + forever. Look how he drags up posts and members from years ago, across forums. Its his agenda and viewpoints period! But be dammed if you tell him he is wrong.

Twords the end I think the membership here saw the real person that had that internet forum name.

And this place is better without him, look at the number of good posters that were real people posting about real life, problems and living, sharing the joys and griefs of life, or those that did not hold his views/beliefs that he drove away, because they got tired of his attacks/lies/mud rucking and slandering!

It just was not worth staying here and moved on to hopefully enjoy life and living.

And people here dam near worshiped him and said nothing! Because it was entertaining!

Until he went off the deep end and his true self was exposed.

If anything I feel sorry for him and wish him well and maybe finds help for his problems.

Life is too short to have a heart so twisted.