PDA

View Full Version : Preppers, undeniable sign of inflation at Walmart

chad
3rd October 2014, 10:38 AM
So, I'm in canning mode. I go to Walmart to get some more jars.

Ball jars, regardless of size, have come in packs of 12 for 500 years or more. They may have come in packs longer than that, but I can't prove it.

I go to grab one off the shelf. The box is now square, and it has 9 jars. Same price as the old 12 pack I bought 3 weeks ago.

I ask the Walmart lady where the 12 pack ones are, I don't want this weird new 9 pack.

"Oh, that's the new size. They are all like that from now on."

1/3 less jars, same price as 3 weeks ago.

edit: 1/4 less jars, i can't do math today.

General of Darkness
3rd October 2014, 10:42 AM
I was ridiculed for saying prices seems to have jumped 25%, seems more likely that I was correct based on maintaining the same price but reducing the quantity.

osoab
3rd October 2014, 11:31 AM
I will check out a farm store tomorrow and report what I find.

old steel
3rd October 2014, 11:48 AM
Prices for crop farm commodities have been falling for 18 months and i see no adjustment for that on the supermarket shelf.

With low feed prices livestock prices have exploded.

osoab
3rd October 2014, 12:30 PM
Prices for crop farm commodities have been falling for 18 months and i see no adjustment for that on the supermarket shelf.

Livestock prices especially beef, is still hurting due to drought, high corn from 1-2 years ago, and the loss last October up North.

gunDriller
3rd October 2014, 12:42 PM
1/3 less jars, same price as 3 weeks ago.

edit: 1/4 less jars, i can't do math today.

actually, the grammatically correct term would be, 1/4 fewer jars, I think.

sincerely, GunDriller the Grammar Nazi (no relation to the Ashkenazi ! :) )

but like I said, I think.

I'm not 100% sure.

if we consider these terms in the context of Ebola, for example, it would be -
less Ebola puss
fewer Ebola microbes.

When 'plurality' is involved, you use fewer. When the item described is sort of Qualitative, like sand, then it's 'less sand'.

What is interesting about English is that when you are talking about more stuff, the word 'more' is used for both words indicating plurality (where you would use fewer) AND for the other words (less.)

Finally we may construct an Ebola-Obama-Clinton Grammar Nazi Haiku -

less Ebola puss
One more darn Filthy Clinton
fewer Obamas.

EE_
3rd October 2014, 12:46 PM

Haven't you heard, workers got a minimum wage increase. Who do you think should pay for that? Certainly not employers.

mick silver
3rd October 2014, 12:49 PM
look at yard sales best place to buy jars . most are to lazy and fucking stupid to can shit anymore

crimethink
3rd October 2014, 02:58 PM
I was ridiculed for saying prices seems to have jumped 25%, seems more likely that I was correct based on maintaining the same price but reducing the quantity.

Some prices have increased, easily by 25% ($1.00 to $1.25, for example). In other cases, the "Grocery Shrink Ray" has been applied, maintaining the price, and reducing the quantity of product.

osoab
3rd October 2014, 03:20 PM
Grocery store still had 12 packs of quarts for 12.99. Too steep. I will check the farm store tomorrow. They normally have 2 pallets of quarts every year.

I wonder if wallyworld decided they wanted 9 packs?

crimethink
3rd October 2014, 03:26 PM
Grocery store still had 12 packs of quarts for 12.99. Too steep. I will check the farm store tomorrow. They normally have 2 pallets of quarts every year.

I wonder if wallyworld decided they wanted 9 packs?

Much more likely Walmart turns over product much more quickly, and is getting the new packaging from Jarden.

goldleaf
3rd October 2014, 03:34 PM
I don't even buy cold cereal for the kids anymore, the damn skinny boxes keep tipping over!

chad
3rd October 2014, 03:37 PM
Much more likely Walmart turns over product much more quickly, and is getting the new packaging from Jarden.

you culd hav something there, it was a new pallet in the middle of the aisle. looked like it was just put out today, hardly any gone from it.

Cebu_4_2
3rd October 2014, 03:56 PM
WMT 5 year chart, they are not making investors any money yet the prices on a lot of items are actually higher than the local grocery.

http://charting.nasdaq.com/ext/charts.dll?2-1-14-0-0-560-03NA000000WMT-&SF:1|5-BG=FFFFFF-BT=0-WD=530-HT=395-

crimethink
3rd October 2014, 04:29 PM
you culd hav something there, it was a new pallet in the middle of the aisle. looked like it was just put out today, hardly any gone from it.

Our grocery stores still have old stock for years after packaging changes, such as with "durable groceries" like this.

gunDriller
3rd October 2014, 05:40 PM
sometimes small local chains like Bimart have the best prices.

In south Oregon, they have some of the best prices - and availability - on ammo.

the best deal i have seen at the Big Box stores was 3 quart jars full of fresh peaches, for $2.69.

the jars were the kind you can re-use for canning. and the peaches were very tasty.

peaches ammo, what more could you need. oh yeah,

CAFFEINE.

Check out Seaworth cold-brewed. they're pricey but they sound good.

http://www.seaworthcoffee.com/

Ponce
4th October 2014, 12:07 AM
GunDriller? you have been hanging around Crimethink for to long.......come down to Earth and learn to speacky SPANGLISH...you will needed it in the future hahahahahahahahah.

V

osoab
4th October 2014, 07:25 AM
farm store had a half a pallet of both quarts and pints in 12 packs.

Sparky
4th October 2014, 09:33 AM
I noticed last week that the hot dogs I've been buying for years have switched from a 10-pack to an 8-pack. I didn't even realize it until I had gotten home. (Just as they had hoped.)

MNeagle
4th October 2014, 10:16 AM
They claim it's to match the now *8-pack* of buns!!

Restocking Epson salts @ the dollar store this week. Still have the old 1/2 gallon milk carton size of espon salts = 3 lbs. New espon salt is now 16 oz in a plastic bag.