PDA

View Full Version : Kit 'O Beer #17 - Australian Chinooked Pale Ale (chinookle)

Glass
5th October 2014, 01:42 AM
This is second one of 2 x kits I picked up a month or so ago. Some changes. Different hop to KoB #16 for dry hopping. Its going to be an Australian Chinook Pale Ale. A Chinookale/Chinookle?

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1.25 kg Brew Booster - from the preferred LHBS
2 x 7gms pkt Coopers yeast
30gms Chinook pellet hops dry hopped

Changes:
Chinook hops. Coopers yeast.

OG 1.0415
Volume: 23L
Fermenter: Coopers

Brew temp: 18C - ambient
Pitch temp: 23C
Current temp: 23C

Notes: This is the 2nd up of the 2 kits. I am going with Chinook. This one seems to be lower OG. I'll let the sample sit a while and check again in case there's a temp influence but it won't be 6 points.

Glass
16th October 2014, 12:56 AM
Racked this to secondary on to 34gms or just over 1oz of Chinook hops. I recognise the aroma of these hops. Not sure it's ideal for a single hop but we can only try and see how it goes. Aroma is on the grassy side.

SG at racking time was 1.010.

Colour is a nice rich amber. The flavour was ok pre-hopped. A bit buttery but I'm sure that will fall away like it has other times. We will give this a week and bottle sometime middle of next week.

Glass
25th October 2014, 12:32 AM
ok so this must be the one I bottled today. Loosing track. ~60 x 330ml (11oz) + 4 PET 740ml (25oz) came from that brew.

Flavour is nice. Still slightly dark in colour from other pale ales. Could be the brew booster/enhancer mix. Not sure.

Bulk Primed with 201gms of dextrose.

Had a few spillages, when racking to the priming bucket and a few overflows when I got hand tangled. Slightly new system today. Needs more practice but should be ok.

This smells and tastes somewhere in the middle between cascade and amarillo. So very pleasant. I'll expect to enjoy this one in a couple weeks. Just waiting for the hopping vessel to dry out and I'll be racking #18 onto some hops.

Glass
2nd November 2014, 12:14 AM
been in the bottle for a week. Doing surprisingly well. Not too green. Nice soft beer this one. Has the right dryness and the chinook hops are actually quite nice. I would say they add more bitter and aroma that flavour. So I can see how they could blend in there with some of those more flavourful less aroma hops. yes nice hop. good match for beer this at this time of year. Might have to run another one of these soon. It will be popular.