PDA

View Full Version : Post-Foreclosure Hell: Garnished Wages, Seized Assets, Deficiency Judgments

EE_
16th October 2014, 05:00 AM
I wonder what people will do after their finances are already ravaged by inflation, and debt collectors are seizing their assets, pensions and SS, and they are literally thrown out on the street? Sounds like a lot of people will be snapping? Debt collecting might become one of the most dangerous occupations?

Post-Foreclosure Hell: Garnished Wages, Seized Assets, Deficiency Judgments

In 2009 and 2010 "Walking Away" was the rage. (skip the adds and scroll down to my list of articles).

Back then, I frequently cautioned Before Walking Away Consult An Attorney, advice repeated in nearly every reference to the practice.

Walking away without declaring bankruptcy, especially with a recourse mortgage was always a dangerous practice.

Moreover, law is complicated because rules vary from state to state, and non-recourse loans often became recourse loans if refinanced.

Post-Foreclosure Hell

Unfortunately, Post-Foreclosure Hell is the sorry result for those who did not consult an attorney.

Many thousands of Americans who lost their homes in the housing bust, but have since begun to rebuild their finances, are suddenly facing a new foreclosure nightmare: debt collectors are chasing them down for the money they still owe by freezing their bank accounts, garnishing their wages and seizing their assets.

By now, banks have usually sold the houses. But the proceeds of those sales were often not enough to cover the amount of the loan, plus penalties, legal bills and fees. The two big government-controlled housing finance companies, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, as well as other mortgage players, are increasingly pressing borrowers to pay whatever they still owe on mortgages they defaulted on years ago.

Using a legal tool known as a "deficiency judgment," lenders can ensure that borrowers are haunted by these zombie-like debts for years, and sometimes decades, to come.

The most aggressive among the debt pursuers is Fannie Mae. Of the 595,128 foreclosures Fannie Mae was involved in – either through owning or guaranteeing the loans - from January 2010 through June 2012, it referred 293,134 to debt collectors for possible pursuit of deficiency judgments, according to a 2013 report by the Inspector General for the agency’s regulator, the Federal Housing Finance Agency.

It is unclear how many of the loans that get sent to debt collectors actually get deficiency judgments, but the IG urged the FHFA to direct Fannie Mae, along with Freddie Mac, to pursue more of them from the people who could repay them.

The article notes that Florida is one of the more aggressive states in pursuing "deficiency judgments". For example ...

Bank teller Danell Huthsing broke up with her boyfriend and moved out of the concrete bungalow they shared in Jacksonville, Florida. Her name was on the mortgage even after she moved out, and when her boyfriend defaulted on the loan, her name was on the foreclosure papers, too.

On July 5, a process server showed up on her doorstep with a lawsuit demanding $91,000 for the portion of her mortgage that was still unpaid after the home was foreclosed and sold. If she loses, the debt collector that filed the suit can freeze her bank account, garnish up to 25 percent of her wages, and seize her paid-off 2005 Honda Accord.

I specifically spotlighted Florida in Before Walking Away Consult An Attorney.

But it's not just Florida.

Reuters reports "Once financial institutions secure a judgment, they can sometimes have years to collect on the claim. In Maryland, for example, they have as long as 36 years to chase people down for the debt. Financial institutions can charge post-judgment interest of an estimated 4.75 percent a year on the remaining balance until the statute of limitation runs out, which can drive people deeper into debt."

Hundreds of thousands of people will soon be in extremely hot water because they failed to seek advice from an attorney, advice which may have cost only a couple hundred dollars in 2009.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com

Read more at http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/10/post-foreclosure-hell-garnished-wages.html#E5M80PLeWC0Mk8kD.99

palani
16th October 2014, 05:13 AM
they failed to seek advice from an attorney, advice which may have cost only a couple hundred dollars in 2009

The time to seek legal advice is before you engage in risky behavior. Engaging in a mortgage is not an activity most attorneys would have advised against (then or now). The concept of avoiding mortgages is not something they would even consider since bankers and attorneys are in the same business (aka collecting fees). There are organizations you can contact concerning advice in handling money but they are not mainstream (aka 'fringe').

Cebu_4_2
16th October 2014, 06:52 AM
debt collectors are chasing them down for the money they still owe by freezing their bank accounts, garnishing their wages and seizing their assets.

Haha, Fuck Them!

Twisted Titan
16th October 2014, 07:02 AM
That is why every payday i pull a harry houdini and money flies out of my account at the speed of light

I buy as many prep item as my budget will allow

Also people have to learn how to fight these judgements

Most mortagages were non recourse meaning whatever they got at the sherriff sale was the end of it.

But if you dont assert that fact....courts will steam roll right over you.

BrewTech
16th October 2014, 07:06 AM
The time to seek legal advice is before you engage in risky behavior. Engaging in a mortgage is not an activity most attorneys would have advised against (then or now). The concept of avoiding mortgages is not something they would even consider since bankers and attorneys are in the same business (aka collecting fees). There are organizations you can contact concerning advice in handling money but they are not mainstream (aka 'fringe').

That's why I never chose to "buy" property. Risk not worth the reward, because true ownership is no longer possible.

Ponce
16th October 2014, 08:40 AM
Every one should have a house and every house should be a home, as log as you have a home you will have a roof over your head and a place to keep warm........if you have the "extra" cash at hand then you can buy a "vacation" home, but only for cash.

You never should gamble with your home, your home tells everyone that you are someone and that you have roots in your life...never get a mortgage on your home unless you know that you might loose it.........all of my three homes I bought them with cash, the first one by working hard and even sleeping in my pickup for two years.......AND ONLY THEN did get a wife at the age of 30....by the way, my first home cost me $21,500.

My "famous" Land Patent I only got it just in case someone wants to come after my home for any reason, to get to my house they first must come into my land and Congress and my gun protects my land.

V

palani
16th October 2014, 08:58 AM
Every one should have a house

You need shelter. You don't need a house. Do a search through your state statutues. If you find house mentioned then the phrase is commercial and not something you could ever own.

Don't engage your shelter into the commercial plane. Bad things happen. Land patent or no land patent.

mick silver
16th October 2014, 09:14 AM
how your fight going in court T T , ARE YOU DONE WITH IT
That is why every payday i pull a harry houdini and money flies out of my account at the speed of light

Most mortagages were non recourse meaning whatever they got at the sherriff sale was the end of it.

Cebu_4_2
16th October 2014, 02:02 PM

Problem is if they get a judgement against you your money will go in and instantly get stolen. Been there done that, in front of the teller I gave her a check to deposit and wanted $100.00 back... poof gone, I was quite surprised and PISSED. The court AND bank are supposed to mail you info in regards to the garnishment which apparently both were lost in the mail. Have not had a bank account since.

crimethink
16th October 2014, 06:03 PM
they failed to seek advice from an attorney, advice which may have cost only a couple hundred dollars in 2009.

"My advice? You're f**ked. That'll be $200."

Combating debt collectors is an art not learned from Cult of the Bar lawyers, but from those who recognize modern banking as the criminal enterprise it is.

crimethink
16th October 2014, 06:06 PM
Every one should have a house and every house should be a home, as log as you have a home you will have a roof over your head and a place to keep warm.

You rent all property from the government.

My "famous" Land Patent I only got it just in case someone wants to come after my home for any reason, to get to my house they first must come into my land and Congress and my gun protects my land.

A "land patent" is a worthless piece of paper. Congress (and the various state legislatures) have already provided the tool to take "your" home away from you: the government goons can simply come and say your home is "proceeds of and/or involved in criminal activity," and "civil forfeiture" it to their agency. Sure, you can shoot them, as a real man would, but you still lose "your" home.

Cebu_4_2
16th October 2014, 06:12 PM
My taxes are $320ish a year, I can deal with that and have almost the same as I lost for a mere 20K. Wish I was smarter cause I could have taken 80K equity and 30K fighting it and be living large.

County comes fucking with people here it is the end of their career. It don't happen.