PDA

View Full Version : Kit 'O Beer #18 - Cascade IPA

Glass
18th October 2014, 04:59 AM
I had a kit on hand but felt like doing something else. I was at the LHBS and they had some kit recipe's they had done up. One was an IPA with some Cascade hops, bit extra fermentables. I had hops, yeast and some dextrose already so I just grabbed a can of coopers IPA and some brew booster fermentables.

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers IPA Traditional Range
1.25 kg Brew Booster - from the preferred LHBS
200gms Dextros
1 x 15gms LHBS Ale yeast
30gms Cascade pellet hops dry hopped

Changes:
Cascade hops. LHBS yeast.

OG 1.046
Volume: 23L
Fermenter: Coopers

Brew temp: 21C - ambient
Pitch temp: 23C
Current temp: 17C

Notes: This is a dark and malty beer. I am learning that this is what the base of an IPA is. So quite different to a Pale ale. It has strong hop bittering from the can. The aromas are also fairly bitter. I'll add in some cascade for aroma. We'll see how it influences flavour. This was a very fresh can of extract.

BrewTech
18th October 2014, 07:00 AM
I would highly recommend you avoid adding dextrose to early fermentation. It inhibits the yeast's ability to ferment maltose, which is the primary saccharide in wort. If you are going to add simple sugars, wait until the middle of fermentation when the yeasts have adapted to the wort and had time for growth. The Belgians do this (think Delirium Tremens) with great success. I did this with a Belgian Pale I made recently, boiled some water and added the sugar to dissolve and pasteurize, cooled it to 80F and dumped it into the fermenter about 3 days in. This combined with a pretty good sized late hop addition lends itself to a dry beer with a fine, rocky foam that you can't dump out of the glass after you have finished it.

Glass
19th October 2014, 05:53 AM
Interesting you mention this because everytime I see dextrose in the recipe I balk at using it. The recipe called for 500gms ontop of 1kg brew booster. The booster came in at 1.25, added 200gms dextrose.

I have been planning to start brewing to 20L instead of 23L. I thought about doing that with this one but I thought the strength of this brew would make it a bit too strong flavour wise.

Glass
26th October 2014, 02:55 AM
ok so I racked this one today to secondary for dry hopping. I decided to hop this one with Cascade and Amarillo.

SG Reading 1.010.

When I tasted this I noticed that the bready flavour had really faded. The colour was still darker amber colour. The flavour was quite bitter. This makes sense to me. If the extract is canned up and the shipped and stored for a while before selling any aroma hops, if there were any could have faded, however the bittering hops are still present.

Anyway I decided this could do with a couple aroma hop additions and went with Cascade and Amarillo. I have enough to do the same for #19.

BrewTech
26th October 2014, 08:48 AM
Fine hop choices.

Glass
27th October 2014, 04:46 AM
yes I was surprised by the flavour of this beer. I was dreading having a bready flavoured IPA. I bought a local macros attempt at an IPA and it just tastes like cake or bread or over yeasty. No bitterness as well. I drank 3 and that was all I could force. Took 2 months to do that. Now the 3 left in the cupboard are home to some kind of spider that I think is a red back.

This coopers extract is just right to me. A nice bitterness to it. Not too bready. Good colour for the style. Perfect to endow with some fresh crisp hops. The could be a Goldilocks IPA. I'm actually pretty excited about this one. Keen to try it.

A friend of mine was talking about ginger beer today. Make it now for xmas. Good idea. I'd like to do it in glass. The last lot I did would have bust every bottle if I had. I got a lot of glass but it might be safer to PET it. I might just make my own than buy a kit. Another person said chilli ginger beer was interesting. Ginger beer is a bit spicy already. Might try a couple ferment in the bottle testers.

Glass
2nd November 2014, 01:41 AM
bottled this one today. I have to remember that after this brew I am brewing to 20L so less sugars will be needed for carbonating.

Bulk primed with 204gms of dextrose.
We got less than expected bottles. About 52 x 12 oz + 3 x 24oz PET's.

This beer tastes fantastic. The smell had me drooling. I can wait until its ready to drink. For my taste this has the perfect balance of bitterness and aroma. I'd like a bit more flavour but it's not lacking much. The base extract brings all the bitterness you need. Just add flavour and aroma hops to personal taste. The colour is that malt caramel colour.

going to rack #19 to secondary for hopping and hopefully start #21.

Glass
10th November 2014, 04:22 AM
ok so can't wait any longer. Crash chilled one of these to see. Surprising level of carb for 8 days but there were a few warm ones in there.

This beer is great. it looks the part. It's showing lacing at this level of carb. It's a bit chill hazed but I think if chilled properly over a couple days it would be crystal. Bitterness is just right. Not too much bite. I could go more on the hops. Don't know if I would double them but maybe 50% more.

I'm sure the hops are covering for the green so in a couple weeks it will be cleaner and maybe those hops will really shine. Yes. I can wait. At least until tomorrow. This is glass licking good.

Glass
12th November 2014, 06:29 AM
I had another couple of these. I think the bitterness is dominant. Then the malt flavours. I don't like a lot of that. I only notice it the first few mouthfuls. The flavour and aroma hops are there but I do want more. It needs thinking on because I don't want more bitterness. The hops I know would probably add some more bitterness.

Either more Cascade or something similar.

I haven't tried Centennial or Citra yet. I saw both of those last time at the LBHS. Not enough $$. I think Citra might be next on my to do list.

Glass
14th November 2014, 04:10 AM
Can keep my hands off these. It's friday, sitting back enjoying the second one for the night. This one is not as carbonated as the 1st. The 1st would be perfect in mine eyes. About a finger of the softest foam you can get.

This is a bitter finish beer but the balance of malts is just right. Hop aroma in the bottle is nice, not getting it so much in the glass. I'm drinking from a 12oz tumbler. needs to be 13 oz or something because its to the brim and then you gotta suck some off the top. waste not beer. not.

is there a glass for IPA's?

I think this is going to be in the top 2 or 3 so far. I'm going to do this again and boost the cascade. Not sure about the amarillo. I'd also like to do a three hopper on the base kit.

I think we need Ponce to invent his teleport machine so I can send some of these to you guys. I need critical opinions. Might need to find a brew club. Why not?

BrewTech
14th November 2014, 06:38 AM
This what Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada are using, made by Spiegelau:

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/katiebell/files/2013/10/IPA_Draft_befuellt-225x30011.jpg

I have one, and I'm not the biggest fan as I feel they are too light. I prefer a belgian tulip like New Belgium uses:

http://img1.r10.io/PIC/59018821/0/1/300/59018821.jpg

Glass
14th November 2014, 09:26 AM
ah I've seen those glasses. They call them a something or other plug. Second glass is the one. Thats definitely the colour. Nice glass as well.

Libertytree
14th November 2014, 04:08 PM
Having been in the wine biz for a lot of years I studied and understood the science behind certain glasses for certain varietals and it all made sense but I admit when it comes to beer I'm not sold on what the beer companies are selling. It seems like they are simply trying to make extra sales for suspect info.

Glass
14th November 2014, 04:22 PM
I certainly like the style of some glasses. Prior to making my own brew I drank lager beer and pilsner is what I preferred. Drinking from a pilsner glass was always more enjoyable than a regular glass. I think it goes some way to bringing out the aromas of the beer. I have a small collect of english style pint glasses, pilsner glasses and the tumblers I usually drink out of.

I do think a glass brings out the flavours more than you get drinking from the bottle.

BrewTech
14th November 2014, 04:48 PM
Having been in the wine biz for a lot of years I studied and understood the science behind certain glasses for certain varietals and it all made sense but I admit when it comes to beer I'm not sold on what the beer companies are selling. It seems like they are simply trying to make extra sales for suspect info.

Not true at all, my friend. Beer being a more sophisticated beverage than its grape-based counterpart, it requires the correct glassware to both display each specific beer's physical beauty as well as correctly deliver its olfactory and flavor-active offerings.

Wine... pffff

Every heard of a beero? Me neither.

Glass
14th November 2014, 04:52 PM
hehe

Wines have glasses to suit the style. Cham-pag-ne for instance has 2 styles and I think they give different effects on the champers. White wine glass, red wine glass, port glass, aperitif or is that the same as a port glass?

I was thinking of starting up a brew group and calling it the beerdos or bierdos for the europeeps.

yeah look copyright too there thanks, hehe. Might need to change my sig.

Libertytree
14th November 2014, 05:17 PM
Not true at all, my friend. Beer being a more sophisticated beverage than its grape-based counterpart, it requires the correct glassware to both display each specific beer's physical beauty as well as correctly deliver its olfactory and flavor-active offerings.

Wine... pffff

Every heard of a beero? Me neither.

You had me at olfactory. I just think it needs more scrutiny. :)

Glass
17th November 2014, 12:53 AM
well elevation potential in the rating stakes is high. what did I say? top 3? yeh-as. Who used to say yes that way? Pours a nice 1 finger head. Good lacing. Persistent. The bitterness grabs you. I think just right. The extract kit provides all of the bitterness. For me Coopers nailed it.

I think it's a coin flip (toss up) between the dark ale #6 and this one #18. as BBSF. Bold call. I know. If something could unseat the dark ale that would seal it for this cascade +amarillo IPA.

The "liquid" of my beers is incredibly soft because of the way I filter the water. I was worried it would affect the beers ability to ferment or cabonate. It doesn't seem to have a bad affect so far and I think the beer is very soft in mouth feel. It is a kind of sweetness that is not a taste sweetness but it feels sweet. Soft and sweet.