PDA

View Full Version : The Police Are Still Out of Control I should know. By FRANK SERPICO

BrewTech
26th October 2014, 10:41 AM
The Police Are Still Out of Control I should know.
By FRANK SERPICO
October 23, 2014

In the opening scene of the 1973 movie “Serpico,” I am shot in the face—or to be more accurate, the character of Frank Serpico, played by Al Pacino, is shot in the face. Even today it’s very difficult for me to watch those scenes, which depict in a very realistic and terrifying way what actually happened to me on Feb. 3, 1971. I had recently been transferred to the Narcotics division of the New York City Police Department, and we were moving in on a drug dealer on the fourth floor of a walk-up tenement in a Hispanic section of Brooklyn. The police officer backing me up instructed me (since I spoke Spanish) to just get the apartment door open “and leave the rest to us.”

One officer was standing to my left on the landing no more than eight feet away, with his gun drawn; the other officer was to my right rear on the stairwell, also with his gun drawn. When the door opened, I pushed my way in and snapped the chain. The suspect slammed the door closed on me, wedging in my head and right shoulder and arm. I couldn’t move, but I aimed my snub-nose Smith & Wesson revolver at the perp (the movie version unfortunately goes a little Hollywood here, and has Pacino struggling and failing to raise a much-larger 9-millimeter automatic). From behind me no help came. At that moment my anger got the better of me. I made the almost fatal mistake of taking my eye off the perp and screaming to the officer on my left: “What the hell you waiting for? Give me a hand!” I turned back to face a gun blast in my face. I had cocked my weapon and fired back at him almost in the same instant, probably as reflex action, striking him. (He was later captured.)

*more at link*

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160.html#.VE0XP_mUfHU

woodman
26th October 2014, 06:43 PM
A very good article. Organized crime is government.

Santa
26th October 2014, 09:50 PM
Good solid basic solutions.

1. Strengthen the selection process and psychological screening process for police recruits. Police departments are simply a microcosm of the greater society. If your screening standards encourage corrupt and forceful tendencies, you will end up with a larger concentration of these types of individuals;

2. Provide ongoing, examples-based training and simulations. Not only telling but showing police officers how they are expected to behave and react is critical;

3. Require community involvement from police officers so they know the districts and the individuals they are policing. This will encourage empathy and understanding;

4. Enforce the laws against everyone, including police officers. When police officers do wrong, use those individuals as examples of what not to do – so that others know that this behavior will not be tolerated. And tell the police unions and detective endowment associations they need to keep their noses out of the justice system;

5. Support the good guys. Honest cops who tell the truth and behave in exemplary fashion should be honored, promoted and held up as strong positive examples of what it means to be a cop;

6. Last but not least, police cannot police themselves. Develop permanent, independent boards to review incidents of police corruption and brutality—and then fund them well and support them publicly. Only this can change a culture that has existed since the beginnings of the modern police department.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160_Page4.html#ixzz3HJktMD9u

Hitch
27th October 2014, 11:16 AM
Good solid basic solutions.

1. Strengthen the selection process and psychological screening process for police recruits. Police departments are simply a microcosm of the greater society. If your screening standards encourage corrupt and forceful tendencies, you will end up with a larger concentration of these types of individuals;

Regarding this solution, I don't think it's the testing process that's the problem. That psych screening you go through is extremely thorough. The written screening test took hours to complete. Hundreds of questions, many seemed similar but worded differently to weed out any discrepancies. The whole time, again hours, in my case there was construction going on in the room next door. Constant pounding and banging while trying to get through the test. Towards the end, some construction dude comes in with a smile on his face and says "oh are we bothering you?" Fucking prick, to this day I still hate that dude.

Then, after every question you answered has been analyzed in detail, you meet with the psych evaluator for an interview. This lady actually made some candidates cry during that interview. The psych exam, you aren't getting through that if you have any issues.

Then there's the lie detector test. One test for a fire dept was actually at some guy's house. I'm hooked up to the machine, the guy is asking questions, and his gorgeous daughter walks in the room wearing next to nothing. I'd like to see what the computer showed about my heart rate and breathing when that happened. I don't know how I passed that test, but I did.

This is the kind of testing you go through with these departments.

The corruption I think takes years to get exposed to. The testing process is not the issue.

mick silver
27th October 2014, 06:21 PM
all parts of government is corruption and Organized crime gangs