PDA

View Full Version : Man drives plane to the Pub for a cold beer

Glass
1st November 2014, 06:19 PM
https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/141101/gennewmanplane_1a5760e-1a5764b.jpg?x=656&sig=S2oV8w8e6x1domGSsxVMAg--
Plane sailing ... to the pub

It's the sight which had Newman pubgoers thinking they might have had one too many.
A local driving a plane down the street before parking up, approaching the bar and casually ordering himself an afternoon drink.

Shire of East Pilbara airport compliance manager George Christianson said the wingless Beachcraft two-seater aircraft which appeared at Newman Hotel's Purple Pub at 2.30pm yesterday, in what is understood to have been a Halloween prank, had fast became the talk of the town.

"It's certainly caused a lot of banter and a fair few laughs ... we've no idea where it came from, but it's now parked up in the carpark of the pub," he said yesterday. "It's definitely been the cause of a lot of chatter."

Hotel staff dubbed the man a "legend" for his casual arrival, which attracted a crowd of more than 200 people armed with cameras and iPhones.

Hotel manager Timaia Gulliver said pub staff who served the man were unaware of his unconventional mode of transport until police arrived.

The plane was towed away from the carpark and the man was questioned by officers. Witnesses saw the man being patted down by police outside the pub.

Newman police Sgt Mark Garner said officers were investigating whether the man had committed an offence and charges were pending.

Sgt Garner said the man passed a breath-test at the scene, the plane did not leave the ground or cause any traffic accidents.

"He is one of our local characters," he said.

"I need to look at what the appropriate offence would be as it's a bit of an unusual one."

Story at the West (https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25402639/plane-sailing-to-the-pub/)

Ponce
1st November 2014, 07:02 PM
Now ever if you fart in public they will fine you for polluting the air......welcome to a new world.

V

Glass
1st November 2014, 08:41 PM
It will be interesting to see if it is a specific traffic offense or if they use something general. Pretty sure that it can't be classed under our traffic laws because the craft is not defined.

BrewTech
1st November 2014, 08:54 PM
I like his style.

What would be really cool is if he ordered this beer (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?79931-Kit-O-Beer-20-CascArillo-Australian-Pale-Ale&highlight=Beer) when he got there...

milehi
1st November 2014, 09:18 PM
It will be interesting to see if it is a specific traffic offense or if they use something general. Pretty sure that it can't be classed under our traffic laws because the craft is not defined.

Unregistered vehicle?

Glass
1st November 2014, 09:19 PM
I like his style.

What would be really cool is if he ordered this beer (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?79931-Kit-O-Beer-20-CascArillo-Australian-Pale-Ale&highlight=Beer) when he got there...

not 5 minutes ago I was wondering around talking to myself about that. I'm thinking this stuff is so easy puh-easy to make and it tastes good and no one who drinks it knows how hard or easy it is. can I make it cheap enough and sell like this (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?79920-If-I-can-stay-sobber-til-the-9th-I-m-buying-this&p=736368&viewfull=1#post736368). Or call it craft and sell if for more. I did some numbers I think $3.44/litre is the cheapest beer you can buy here. I think you can make it for $2.50/litre for better beer. I don't know. I think about filtering which I do but I don't factor in that cost. And the water of course. Bigger scale. Craft beer in the 11-12oz goes for about $5.00 a pop so about $15/L. I need more space. I'm looking. I got people asking me to sell them some. Got rid of that cerveza.

Our pubs have been dominated by 2 main breweries. So unless they made the beer you wouldn't see that beer on tap. Then they buy up the upstart breweries. Some grew to big operations. Now I see some of the local independent craft brewers are getting taps in the big pubs. It's good to see. I was pleased to find I can have a feral hop hog on tap. Nice and fresh. I don't know what it cost but I expect I'm paying top dollar for a pint. Do not care. Maybe others can do the same.

BrewTech
1st November 2014, 09:25 PM
not 5 minutes ago I was wondering around talking to myself about that. I'm thinking this stuff is so easy puh-easy to make and it tastes good and no one who drinks it knows how hard or easy it is. can I make it cheap enough and sell like this (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?79920-If-I-can-stay-sobber-til-the-9th-I-m-buying-this&p=736368&viewfull=1#post736368). Or call it craft and sell if for more. I did some numbers I think $3.44/litre is the cheapest beer you can buy here. I think you can make it for $2.50/litre for better beer. I don't know. I think about filtering which I do but I don't factor in that cost. And the water of course. Bigger scale. Craft beer in the 11-12oz goes for about $5.00 a pop so about $15/L. I need more space. I'm looking. I got people asking me to sell them some. Got rid of that cerveza.

Our pubs have been dominated by 2 main breweries. So unless they made the beer you wouldn't see that beer on tap. Then they buy up the upstart breweries. Some grew to big operations. Now I see some of the local independent craft brewers are getting taps in the big pubs. It's good to see. I was pleased to find I can have a feral hop hog on tap. Nice and fresh. I don't know what it cost but I expect I'm paying top dollar for a pint. Do not care. Maybe others can do the same.

If you sell beer in the U.S.I. without a license they shoot you on site.

Glass
1st November 2014, 09:30 PM
Unregistered vehicle?

I was thinking its more of a craft. And the propulsion method would not be covered in the code. I'd need to go back and take a look but I don't recollect it deals with boats or aircraft. Basically anything propellor powered. But then they can use broad definitions to take in engines as a catch all.

Also I think you can land on public roads in an emergency. :D

it will probably be some general public endangerment thing.

Glass
1st November 2014, 09:38 PM
If you sell beer in the U.S.I. without a license they shoot you on site.

I think we have a couple layers. If you manufacturer its one license. If you retail packaged it's another - liquor store. If you retail served alcohol it's another - pub. If you serve food accompanied by alcohol its another - restaurant. If you make and sell alcohol accompanied by food on premises it's another - craft or micro brewery/distillery/cidery/winery.

But it's all about the Excise. You have to pay the excise on volume X abv.

crimethink
1st November 2014, 10:21 PM

It's an interesting situation. The Road Traffic Act of 1974 specifically excludes "aircraft" as a "vehicle" for purposes of DUI ("vehicle includes — (a) every conveyance, not being a train, vessel or aircraft"):

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_act/rta1974111/s5.html

The Australian equivalent of the FAA, CASA, will likely act based on the Civil Aviation Regulations, which prohibit not only intoxicated piloting, but even entering the aircraft "in a state of intoxication":

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s256.html

"50 Penalty Units," or, AUS$ 8500.00 fine, for piloting while intoxicated. Probably steeper than driving a car DUI. His punishment will depend upon just how "intoxicated" he was, if at all (he "passed" the breathalyzer, but I'm not sure what the definition of "intoxication" is for a pilot, e.g., .01 or .03 or .08, etc.).

collector
1st November 2014, 11:51 PM
When people have to research in hopes to find charges that can be levied against another person, you know you're living in the wrong place. Pretty sad testament to that town and their treatment of each other

Glass
2nd November 2014, 12:04 AM
but he might of being saying it for appearances to the higher ups. It did sound like a typical country cop comment. Most people will have a chuckle and think nothing more of it. It should just be left to become an urban legend. Not like you'd expect many copycats that you'd need to make an example of him.

I bet his regular driver is broken down. These was all the wheels he had.

There are some newer regulatory statutes. There is also the traffic code. Those pieces of "law" are very revealing if you read them. One of them defines what traffic actually is. It is the movement of freight or passengers for a fee. Nothing more, nothing less. Most the time I'm in a conveyance I don't have freight or passengers that I am transporting or trafficking to be more precise.

Serpo
2nd November 2014, 12:34 AM
F^%k everything , just give me a beer...................

madfranks
2nd November 2014, 06:15 AM
It's an interesting situation. The Road Traffic Act of 1974 specifically excludes "aircraft" as a "vehicle" for purposes of DUI ("vehicle includes — (a) every conveyance, not being a train, vessel or aircraft"):

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_act/rta1974111/s5.html

The Australian equivalent of the FAA, CASA, will likely act based on the Civil Aviation Regulations, which prohibit not only intoxicated piloting, but even entering the aircraft "in a state of intoxication":

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s256.html

"50 Penalty Units," or, AUS$ 8500.00 fine, for piloting while intoxicated. Probably steeper than driving a car DUI. His punishment will depend upon just how "intoxicated" he was, if at all (he "passed" the breathalyzer, but I'm not sure what the definition of "intoxication" is for a pilot, e.g., .01 or .03 or .08, etc.).

The guy wasn't piloting while intoxicated, he arrived sober, ordered a beer and then the investigation began. He could have stayed there for hours to completely sober up before entering his plane again. And why the f can't they just leave the guy alone?? All he wanted was a cold one, and they're all outside scratching their heads trying to figure what "offenses" they can charge him with!

JohnQPublic
2nd November 2014, 12:02 PM
I like his style.

I would suggest this one, other than the fact the plane had no wings...

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6947&stc=1

crimethink
2nd November 2014, 02:42 PM
The guy wasn't piloting while intoxicated, he arrived sober, ordered a beer and then the investigation began. He could have stayed there for hours to completely sober up before entering his plane again. And why the f can't they just leave the guy alone?? All he wanted was a cold one, and they're all outside scratching their heads trying to figure what "offenses" they can charge him with!

"They" can't leave him alone since their existence is predicated upon malum prohibitum "laws." Enforcing malum in se law is generally a money-losing endeavor. Imposing malum prohibitum "law" is a money-making endeavor, and "justifies" the large number of tax collectors, uh, "law enforcement officers" that exist.

In no way am I arguing he should be punished; I was only researching and presenting how he might be punished.

He could very well have been stone-cold sober, but, depending upon Australian Federal "law," if he had any earlier, they might nail him on a .01 BAC.

Glass
3rd November 2014, 06:13 PM
Charged with not having a pilots license and a general endangerment law.

A Newman man who taxied a plane to the local pub has been charged over the incident.
The 37-year-old man took his wingless Beechcraft two-seater aircraft down the main street on Friday to the amusement of bystanders who clamoured to take pictures with mobile phones.
The pilot then went in the pub and ordered a cold one.

He does not hold a pilot's licence and was charged with endangering a life. He will appear in Newman Magistrate's Court on November 18. Earlier today Sgt Mark McKenzie said the plane had its propeller running, its wings removed and was being steered by foot pedals on Friday.

“It was a pretty stupid thing to do,” Sgt McKenzie said.

“Kids were coming home from school. It could have been very ugly.

“All he needed was one gust of wind ... because without the wings, it’s not stable.

“People think it was a bit of a laugh but it was very dangerous and we’re not very happy with it.”
Link to story (https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/offbeat/a/25402639/pub-run-pilot-charged/)

madfranks
3rd November 2014, 06:24 PM
It could have been very ugly.

Yes, bad things "could" happen every day, but since when do we punish people for what "might" have happened?

...of course, pretty much all traffic laws are laws just like this. It still makes me mad though.

Glass
3rd November 2014, 06:27 PM
yes me too. It's pre crime. But pre crime is very important. People start screamign if you try and tell them speeding is not a crime. Killing some one is a crime regardless if you do it with a gun, knife or a car.

BrewTech
3rd November 2014, 07:39 PM
Charged with not having a "pilot's license" while DRIVING a plane not capable of flight, because of a lack of wings.

Got it.

BrewTech
3rd November 2014, 08:13 PM
“It was a pretty stupid thing to do,” Sgt McKenzie said.
“Kids were coming home from school. It could have been very ugly.
“All he needed was one gust of wind ... because without the wings, it’s not stable.

A fucking aircraft on the ground without wings is not stable? Please, tell me more...

Asswipes.

Glass
18th November 2014, 06:27 PM
Pilot fined for parched pub stop

The Newman man who made international headlines for driving his plane to the pub for a "lemonade" last month has been fined more than $5000 and ordered to repay police towage costs.

Anthony "Auto" Whiteway, 37, told the North West Telegraph he was feeling "a little parched" when he decided to stop for a lemonade at the Purple Pub midway through taxiing his newly purchased two-seater plane home.

"I was a little hot, a little parched and I called into the pub and that was OK at first," Mr Whiteway said.

"I went to the toilet and when I came out all hell had broken loose.

"A friend at the bar said a very angry police officer had come in and said, 'Righto you mob, who owns the plane parked out the front'."

More at the West (https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25551091/pilot-fined-for-parched-pub-stop/)