PDA

View Full Version : Kit 'O Beer #21 - Galaxy Blonde

Glass
2nd November 2014, 05:09 PM
Galaxy hops are an Australian strain of hops. Or so I'm told. Haven't tried them. In keeping with throwing them into a simple base beer so we can see what they are like. Expecting aroma but probably not much flavour

Coopers Canadian Blonde is the base extract here.

The recipe:
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde
1.25 kg Brew Booster - from the preferred LHBS
2 x 7gms Coopers yeast
30gms Galaxy pellet hops dry hopped

Changes:
Galaxy hops. Double yeast. Dry pitched yeast

OG 1.060
Volume: 20L
Fermenter: Regular/Standard #1

Brew temp: 26C - ambient
Pitch temp: 23C
Current temp: 23C

After saying in #20 I was always going to rehydrate the yeast before pitching I couldn't get it together for this brew. Waiting for some time to bring the temp down to pitching. I set aside some boiled water but it was going to take more than a couple hours by which time the water was cold. Boiled up some more a couple times but dozed off both times waiting for it to cool. Then it was cold. At 2 AM I figured I wasn't going to have another try and just pitched the yeast dry.

This one has a very high OG. I think I either need to reduce the sugars/fermentables from 1.25kgs into 20L or go back to regular 23L or somewhere in between.

BrewTech
2nd November 2014, 05:37 PM
I have 11 lbs of Galaxy in the freezer at work that I traded some Citra for a couple of months back. Haven't used it yet but it is an aroma hop that displays citrus, peach and passion fruit characteristics. Flavor and aroma become more pronounced the later the addition, of course. I'm thinking you'll like it.

And remember... life begins at 60... 1.060, that is...

Glass
12th November 2014, 06:13 AM
I racked this today but I would swear this was an Australian Pale Ale. I'm confused.

Dry hopped with Cascade and Amarillo. About 1oz of each.

Final SG was 1.007

Thats going to be nearly 7% percent. I shared a few of the chinook ale with some friends. I was thinking that was a bit strong when I have had it. More than store bought. They thought so as well. This will be more strong.

That maybe why it seems like a pale ale. Its very dry. Maybe there is a bit too much yeast in my sample.

So this one became the CascArillo and #20 became a Galaxy and Motueka. I'm all stocked up for #22. I think it might be a Friday night effort. Bit of a boil.

Glass
22nd November 2014, 10:21 AM
bottled this one earlier today. 60 bottles even.

Bulk primed with 168gms of dextrose.

The hops have mellowed in this. It came out a smooth lightly hopped flavour and aroma. I think it should be a pleasant drink. Can't pick any distinct flavours but it might be a pineapple flavour in there. Reading my notes it was Galaxy and Motueka.

I'm thinking that around 4 of the hops I have tried are very similar. The Amarillo stands out as different as more bitter. but in sweet beers like the blonde it is less. Big difference between the cascarillo IPA and the cascarillo blonde, same hops different base extract.

Ideally you would do a run of IPA's and see how the different hops fair in the same base extract. I have another brand IPA to try. Will do another cascarillo first. Then maybe I'll do these hops in an IPA. Looking to take a break for a while.

Glass
27th December 2014, 10:44 PM
I've been drinking this for a while. I think we are down to the last dozen. This is a very tasty beer. It has a nice 1 finger head on pour. It follows with a thin cap and good lacing.

Colour is usual golden colour you expect from Canadian Blonde. It really looks appealing. It is very clear but just enough cloudy you can see fingers through the glass but not any features, if that makes sense. Carbonation is very good and consistent.

Aroma is light fruity pineapple but nothing strong. Flavour gives me pineapple and this lightness that is like fruit but nothing else obvious. If I wasn't continually smelling this trying to come up with a description it would be gone by now. I want to say something like celery or celeriac. Faint. Remembering I did not hop with Galaxy. I used Cascade and Amarillo.

perfect summer beer. Might have to put some aside.