PDA

View Full Version : 12 months of Home Brewing

Glass
2nd November 2014, 09:15 PM
Well it's been a very difficult year on the back of 6 years that have steadily been more and more difficult challenges to face. I knew last year would be tough and my prophetic words at the end of last year about this year have proven... well prophetic. I did put my 4+ year long battle with the taxman behind me so that was good. Even if the only upside for the year.

So lets dwell on something less crap for a few minutes. It occurred to me I've been home brewing for 12 months now. I did my first in October last year to be ready for Xmas. 20 brews under my belt. Although my numbers are up to #21. Don't forget we skipped #13 for suspicions sake.

Of course it's been easy doing it from a kit and tinkering around the edges with flavour, hops and carbonation. Trying different bottle types. Using metal crown caps and screw on plastic. Messing with temps. Trying different yeasts.

It's been interesting and fun for sure. The response from people has been mostly positive. I think a couple of the brews had a twang to them but for the most part they came out great. Some people think they should be able to buy the beer I'm brewing. Don't know about that. Lets face it Coopers do all the hard work and I don't think they sell hopped extracts in volume. I'm also never sure if people are being honest or polite.

I certainly could stand to brew beers all day no problem. If you do it all grain it probably would take all day to get a brew down. I really need to be brewing 10Gal /40-46L batches. I'll need more or bigger fermenters. I need more space. Right now I've got 3 brews on the go plus a couple being conditioned. I'm going to try and keep 3 going all the time. We see if it can be done.

A fridge is also something I need to sort out. And a chest freezer. On the list but getting time right now is tough. busy for the next 3 weekends at least.

Kegs. Again.want these at some point. The bottle washing is getting a bit tedious now. They tend to stack up quickly I've noticed. Still I like the natural carbonation.

I've kept a few bottles for most of the brews. I try to keep a couple of each. Some I drank all. I had the first bottle of my first batch with my Dad. He was surprised how good it was. I kept the last bottle from that batch to share with him next time. We only ever shared that first one.

Its good fun. Takes a bit of time to keep on top of things. Is worth it though. I think I bought maybe 3 or 4 cases of beer the whole year.

JFN111
3rd November 2014, 06:04 AM
Hey Glass,
I've enjoyed reading your threads on home brewing. I also started home brewing this year and I'm about to start my 4th batch. The first two were great and the last was so-so.
Again, appreciate your posting and answering some of my dumb questions.

BrewTech
3rd November 2014, 06:45 AM
I certainly could stand to brew beers all day no problem. If you do it all grain it probably would take all day to get a brew down. I really need to be brewing 10Gal /40-46L batches. I'll need more or bigger fermenters. I need more space. Right now I've got 3 brews on the go plus a couple being conditioned. I'm going to try and keep 3 going all the time. We see if it can be done.

It was about this time in my homebrewing career (one year in, with the same aspirations you described) that I wandered in to a San Diego area brewing facility and met the brewer...all I can say is be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

It's been great to see your hobby develop...living where I am if you aren't either homebrewing or doing it as a pro, it seems almost as if you are in the minority. Keep it up! The world needs as much great beer as it can get.

Libertytree
3rd November 2014, 10:50 AM
Glass,

I'll send you a sanitizer just as soon as I go into production. Free of charge.

As far as making 10 gal batches, it's very cheap to do, just use a dark large plastic trash can. That's how I do my 20 gal batches w/ no problems.

Glass
3rd November 2014, 03:14 PM
Glass,

As far as making 10 gal batches, it's very cheap to do, just use a dark large plastic trash can. That's how I do my 20 gal batches w/ no problems.

howdy stranger. I was wondering how you were getting on. Hope it's all ok. I was eyeing off some big buckets at the weekend. I'm going to get another water container because I'll need to filter more water.

I'd like to find some square containers with big openings for easier cleaning. The regular round fermenter is ok but I'm wasting space IMO. Especially if it goes in a fridge.

Libertytree
3rd November 2014, 03:38 PM
howdy stranger. I was wondering how you were getting on. Hope it's all ok. I was eyeing off some big buckets at the weekend. I'm going to get another water container because I'll need to filter more water.

I'd like to find some square containers with big openings for easier cleaning. The regular round fermenter is ok but I'm wasting space IMO. Especially if it goes in a fridge.

hey dude, yeah, things have happened, such is life.

If I had the extra fridg I'd ferment in the large fermentor and then reduce it down to smaller vessels. There are square 5gal buckets too.

Glass
3rd November 2014, 04:18 PM
yes life does. Thought about bigger primary fermenters and smaller secondary. The weather here is warming up. This will probably be the last lot of brews before I have to start adding some cool. Water bath would be out of the Q for the bigger vessels.

BrewTech
3rd November 2014, 08:48 PM
Glass,

How come I don't get no free stuff? :p

Libertytree
3rd November 2014, 10:02 PM
How come I don't get no free stuff? :p

You will too my friend, maybe even a couple. :) We'll talk

BrewTech
4th November 2014, 06:58 AM
You will too my friend, maybe even a couple. :) We'll talk

Cool, because I know a guy who would likely order a few for retail sales if they are as good as I think they will be.

Libertytree
4th November 2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah dude, I'm pretty fuckin' stoked about it. Highly efficient, ergonomic, huge water savings, pretty much ready to rock straight out of my nifty shipping container (5gal bucket), indoor/outdoor, sanitizing solution and optional remote control. There's more but that's the crux.

I'm rounding the bend and making a hard push for the home stretch, the finish line is in sight! I'm a little behind where I planned to be cause I threw my back out and everything came to a grinding halt, still is actually. I gotta come up with the seed money to have 20+ units ready to ship and to do other things that need to be done etc..etc..

But this is a very attainable goal that will change home brewing and wine making forever.