PDA

View Full Version : The Extinction of Quiet

crimethink
8th November 2014, 04:38 AM
http://spiritualityhealth.com/articles/extinction-quiet

Serpo
8th November 2014, 04:36 PM
Where I live and can live are nice and quiet generally but I agree with the post , noise is pollution and spreading .

crimethink
8th November 2014, 07:23 PM
Inadequate research has been done to determine the extent of the effects of a lack of silence. Constant noise is likely just as dangerous as electromagnetic pollution.

One of my cherished moments was in the middle of the night Thanksgiving Day, 1993, near Rice, Minnesota. Very cold night, with endless stars, and absolute, I mean absolute silence.

Hitch
8th November 2014, 07:33 PM
Constant noise is likely just as dangerous as electromagnetic pollution. .

I think about this, and the affect it probably has on my health, because of my job. I go 7 days with constant noise and vibrations. Sometimes things are so loud and shaking so bad, it's like an earthquake. Folks ask my how I could have slept through a 'real' earthquake, and it's just because I am used to it and it's normal.

When I do have my off time and it's quiet, it's surreal. I can hear every sound.

crimethink
8th November 2014, 07:44 PM
I think about this, and the affect it probably has on my health, because of my job. I go 7 days with constant noise and vibrations. Sometimes things are so loud and shaking so bad, it's like an earthquake. Folks ask my how I could have slept through a 'real' earthquake, and it's just because I am used to it and it's normal.

When I do have my off time and it's quiet, it's surreal. I can hear every sound.

Is the noise from diesel engines?

I believe that effects only on the ears/auditory system is not the limit of the dangers of noise pollution. The vibration in general is a threat. I know how I feel around bass and other penetrating noise. Penetrating noise, in particular, affects heart rhythm.

Hitch
8th November 2014, 08:19 PM
Is the noise from diesel engines?

I believe that effects only on the ears/auditory system is not the limit of the dangers of noise pollution. The vibration in general is a threat. I know how I feel around bass and other penetrating noise. Penetrating noise, in particular, affects heart rhythm.

Yup diesels and you can feel the vibrations, as well as hear them. Not as bad as those bass booming thug dudes though. It's not a jolt on the system but a constant rhythm. Still can't be good for you.

BrewTech
9th November 2014, 08:18 AM
Inadequate research has been done to determine the extent of the effects of a lack of silence. Constant noise is likely just as dangerous as electromagnetic pollution.

One of my cherished moments was in the middle of the night Thanksgiving Day, 1993, near Rice, Minnesota. Very cold night, with endless stars, and absolute, I mean absolute silence.

I encountered absolute silence only once in my life... off highway 6 just into Nevada... I believe we were standing on Boundary Peak looking out across at Mammoth. No people, no cars, no planes overhead, and zero wind. Dead silence. It was amazing.

Libertytree
9th November 2014, 09:47 AM
The more quiet the better but it does depend on what type of noise.

What I can't handle are vibrations, especially the low ones that might not be accompanied with a lot of noise. It gives me great anxiety and fills me with a sense of impending doom...I fucking hate it!

Dogman
9th November 2014, 10:09 AM
Forgotten what quiet is, with the ringing in my ears.

We do pay for the sins of our past! Most of my jobs and hobby's were very high noise mostly, banging on steel rings with 16 lb hammers (boilermaker/pressure vessels), jet engines/turbines, loud music , shooting, etc !

I have to have something going in the background (radio/tv) to try and ignore the ringing. Only once in a very blue moon the ringing stops, and I wish I knew the whys and hows on the ringing stopping but it never stops for long.

Protect your hearing, silence is golden !

old steel
9th November 2014, 10:47 AM
I encountered absolute silence only once in my life... off highway 6 just into Nevada... I believe we were standing on Boundary Peak looking out across at Mammoth. No people, no cars, no planes overhead, and zero wind. Dead silence. It was amazing.

Now if we could get rid of all the light pollution it would be an amazing experience at night too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

Rubicon
9th November 2014, 11:25 AM
IMO, Great Basin National Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Basin_National_Park) and the surrounding area is a pretty decent place to experience silence:

no noise pollution
no chem-trails
no light pollution
clean/crisp refreshing air
no airplane noise
few tourists when I was there
cattle roam freely

this is how it should always be
simply driving there is a pretty solitary experience

old steel
9th November 2014, 11:27 AM
IMO, Great Basin National Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Basin_National_Park) and the surrounding area is a pretty decent place to experience silence:

no noise pollution
no chem-trails
no light pollution
no airplane noise
cattle roam freely

Beautiful

milehi
9th November 2014, 11:54 AM
I had quiet all day hiking Mingus Mountain but the Arizona sky is full of chemtrails.

Neuro
9th November 2014, 12:02 PM
At my bug-out location I have no artificial sounds, apart fro occasional high flying jets and the bells of goats sheep and cows. In Istanbul you can usually not hear even the low flying jets because of the ambient soundlevel!

Hitch
9th November 2014, 12:39 PM

no noise pollution
no chem-trails
no light pollution
no airplane noise
cattle roam freely

Thanks, if I have time, I will check that out. I'm at the Colorado National Monument right now. Finished hiking, and I found quiet. Views rival the grand canyon, but no people, no sound. Beautiful when time stands still like this.

crimethink
9th November 2014, 01:25 PM
Now if we could get rid of all the light pollution it would be an amazing experience at night too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

The Sun may yet provide...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Tumbleweed
9th November 2014, 06:03 PM
In 1989 I was in the Yellowstone back country with some friends. We traveled from the east entrance around the lake to the south entrance. I believe it's about a 65 mile trip. I don't recall seeing any aircraft and never heard any motors. No signs of civilization at all. In the middle of that trip we were about 30 miles from a road in any direction. Their were five of us horse back and we had six pack horses.

Where I live is sparsely populated so it's not uncommon to experiance only the sounds of nature.