PDA

View Full Version : Police from state, local agencies will respond after Ferguson grand jury decision

Cebu_4_2
11th November 2014, 01:04 PM
Nixon: Police from state, local agencies will respond after Ferguson grand jury decision
1 hour ago • From staff reports (http://www.stltoday.com/search/?l=50&sd=desc&s=start_time&f=html&byline=From%20staff%20reports)
Loading… (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/nixon-police-from-state-local-agencies-will-respond-after-ferguson/article_f7b30e38-35db-5a88-9767-49b750c98526.html?mode=comments)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/3c/93c1f313-dc77-5244-bea7-1e02462e13cb/5447abc3d8616.image.jpg?resize=300%2C411

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon takes questions from reporters on Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014, after he announced the creation of a commission to investigate issues raised by protests in Ferguson after the shooting death of Michael Brown. The announcement was at St. Louis Community College's Florissant Valley campus in Ferguson. Photo By David Carson, dcarson@post-dispatch.com

A coalition of roughly 50 groups will ask police to de-militarize response to protests and for advance notice of grand jury decision in Michae… Read more (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/coalition-wants-advance-notice-de-militarized-police-response-after-michael/article_1bf6dce8-4493-50d1-9789-d170f4cf96d3.html)

Law enforcement agencies from Missouri and local agencies will all work in a unified command when the Ferguson grand jury decision is reached, Gov. Jay Nixon said Tuesday.

The Missouri National Guard will be part of that contingency planning "when we determine it is necessary to support local law enforcement," Nixon said.

Nixon said police are preparing for peaceful protests, but would also be ready to respond if things get violent.
The governor said the violence and property damage that occurred among some protesters after Michael Brown was shot and killed on Aug. 9 "were not representative of Missouri and cannot be repeated."

Nixon repeated that no date has been determined for when the grand jury's decision is announced.

Nixon was joined by Sam Dotson, the St. Louis police chief; Jon Belmar, the St. Louis County Police Chief; Capt. Ron Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol and Dan Isom, the former St. Louis police chief and current director of the Missouri Department of Public Safety.

OUR EARLIER STORY:
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon will announce law enforcement plans for the aftermath of the grand jury announcement in the Michael Brown shooting case at a press conference today.

Nixon will discuss plans with the media at 2 p.m. at the Missouri Highway Patrol's area headquarters in Weldon Spring.

The grand jury is considering charges against Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson, who shot Michael Brown, 18, on Aug. 9 in Ferguson. The shooting sparked months of protests and calls for change in government, the criminal justice system and other areas to address long-standing complaints.

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch said Monday that the grand jury is still working on the case (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-county-prosecutor-says-ferguson-grand-jury-still-working/article_58d6272e-6d0c-5bd5-acbd-80b86854d1da.html). He repeated that the grand jury would likely complete their work in mid- to late November.

Cebu_4_2
11th November 2014, 01:04 PM
Businesses boarding up windows ahead of Brown grand jury ruling

Posted 5:42 pm, November 10, 2014, by George Sells (http://fox2now.com/author/ktvigsells/), Updated at 05:41pm, November 10, 2014

FERGUSON, MO (KTVI) – With people across the city waiting for a grand jury in the case of Officer Darren Wilson shooting Michael Brown, many businesses in Ferguson have taken the step of boarding up their windows. While some simply never made repairs after being looted during the August rioting, others say the move is simply a precaution they have to take.

Along West Florissant Avenue, the center of most of the violence in Ferguson after the Brown shooting, the majority of businesses now have plywood covering their windows.

One notable exception is the Ferguson Burger Bar. Owner Charles Davis says he’s trusting in God, and the people of his city, that his property won’t be damaged should people pour into the streets after a grand jury decision. He says he wants to show that faith in people to passers-by.

“I’ve had people come in and say, ‘Hey, thanks for not boarding up.’ So that alone has given them something. What it’s given them, I don’t know.”

But many others have made a different decision. Buildings up and down West Florissant are covered.
Thomas Bradley, from the barber shop next door to the Burger Bar, says it was a tough decision to make, but one he couldn’t help.

“I don’t want to seem like I’m tucking my tail between my legs just because we had to sit behind the boards, but I don’t like the fact we have to board up, because a lot of my customers ride past and they say, ‘Maybe they’re not open right now.’”
Back next door, Davis says he understands the pressure Bradley feels.

“I can say it’s understandable because a small business like us, we can’t take a hit like a larger company like a McDonald’s, Schnucks, Walmart,” he said. “We can’t take it. We can be out of business tomorrow on a devastating situation.”
“It’s a catch 22,” Bradley says, “because you want justice to be served and people to have their voice heard, but on the other hand I can’t call Ameren and say, ‘Hey justice is being served.’ They want their money too.”

He says he’s protecting a precarious position. Since the unrest began, he says he’s lost eighty percent of his business. He can’t afford another financial hit.

Now he and others wait for the grand jury’s ruling and whatever may follow, acknowledging that in places like coastal towns, when you see people boarding up windows, it usually means a storm is coming.

Ponce
11th November 2014, 01:09 PM
Sureeeeeeeee and the National Guard and the Army........upsssssssssss I forgot, they are all overseas saving America.

V

mick silver
11th November 2014, 01:39 PM
so did the grand jury hang the cop are let him go ?

Cebu_4_2
11th November 2014, 01:41 PM
so did the grand jury hang the cop are let him go ?

Nothing yet, still deliberating. The decision can happen any day. I think the cop will go free and the result will be another excuse for national chimpouts.

Cebu_4_2
11th November 2014, 01:43 PM
Gun sales spike as Ferguson area braces for grand jury decision

Posted 5:23 pm, November 10, 2014, by CNN Wires (http://fox2now.com/author/cnn-wires/), Updated at 06:23pm, November 10, 2014

FERGUSON, MO — Lately, Dan McMullen has been bringing an extra gun to his office in Ferguson, Missouri.
McMullen runs Solo Insurance on West Florissant close to where looting and vandalism briefly broke out in early August after a police officer shot to death teenager Michael Brown.

“I bring an extra gun now only because it has a bigger magazine,” McMullen says. He began carrying it after tensions increased in the area following the shooting. He says he would never use it to protect his business, but he would use it to save his life.
“So maybe I get trapped here or something and have to have a John Wayne shootout,” McMullen says before interrupting himself, smiling. “That’s the silly part about it: Is that going to happen? Not a chance. But I guess, could it? I’m the only white person here.”

McMullen is particularly cautious now, as all of Ferguson and much of the nation waits to see whether a grand jury will indict Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting. Though the grand jury has until January to issue its ruling, the prosecutor’s office has said a decision could come in mid-November.

McCullen warns others considering getting a gun not to be reckless. When his adult son told him he wanted a gun to protect himself after the grand jury decision, McMullen warned him not to rush into it.

“People like him need to think about it, and not think about ‘I’m worried about this stuff,’ ” McMullen says.
On Monday, Steven King, who owns Metro Shooting Supplies told CNN that customers bought 100 guns this weekend. A typical weekend brings in about 30 buyers.

“People are afraid they are gonna throw Molotov cocktails,” says King, referring to the mostly nonviolent protests that have taken place in Ferguson since the shooting.

The increase in gun sales reaches across racial and ethnic lines, he says.
“A lot of black people coming in saying they are afraid of the hooliganism,” he says.
“But not all of Ferguson is hooliganish. The media portrays us that way. If the world can just see this is one little street in Ferguson going crazy, they’d understand that we’re not just one big burning city.”

At Metro Shooting Range in nearby Bridgeton, Missouri, manager John Stephenson says gun sales are up 40 to 50% as of last week.

And lots of folks are coming in to the gun range for training, which he says is important for new gun owners.
“Every time that door opens, we’re seeing new faces,” Stephenson says. Many new customers tell him they’re concerned about the response to the grand jury decision.

The bulk of the weapons sold to new buyers are home defense shotguns. “We’ve sold tons,” he says.
Ferguson Mayor James Knowles says a good number of residents have told him they’re buying guns for protection. The mayor has warned law enforcement to be mindful that there are a flurry of new gun owners.

“It is a little frightening to think that somebody who is less trained may not have that restraint.”
A gun owner himself, Knowles says gun ownership is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly.

Preparing for a hurricane
Just down the street from the Ferguson Police Department, hair salon owner Constance Garnett is praying for the best, but her brothers are helping her prepare for the worst.

The shop she’s run for 11 years, Taste of Honey, on South Florissant, now looks like it’s ready for a hurricane, completely boarded up.
She takes one look at her shop and shakes her head at the sight.

“It’s hurtful, it’s really, really hurtful,” Garnett says over the sound of hammers and drills behind her. “We don’t have the constant flow of customers that we normally have coming through here because everybody is afraid.”

But some protesters say that fear is unfounded, that violence and crime among the protesters has been minimal.
Bassem Masri, who can be found on any given night verbally lashing out at police, says it is unfair to call the protests violent. They are simply loud, he says.

Masri claims to say whatever he wants to police and believes they should be trained to take it.
“As far as what’s happened within the last 90 days, people would know if you had been paying attention. There hasn’t been any looting or violence or whatnot. We’ve been keeping it peaceful and they are just worried about us using our freedom of speech such as we’ve been doing. And we’ve been pushing the limits on that if it’s even possible to do that.”

In the early days in August, police were roundly criticized for their aggressive militarized response. Now they tend to stand strong, but not react in the face of verbal abuse and on the few occasions where water battles have been thrown at them.
But police have faced threats. Exhaustion and frustration among them is high.

“It only takes one in 10 with bad intentions to make the entire situation spiral out of control,” says Sgt. Brian Schellman with the St. Louis County Police Department.

“A few protesters take it above and beyond not just aimed at police anymore but sometimes these threats are going against police officers’ families.”

Wilson, a 28-year-old white police officer, shot and killed the 18-year-old Brown, who was African-American, in a confrontation on August 9. Since then there have been protests every single day outside the Ferguson Police Department calling for his arrest and indictment.

In this normally quiet town of 21,200, the majority of people — those who support Wilson and those who think he should be arrested — do not believe he will be indicted. Though the daily protests have been mostly peaceful since the shooting, few doubt that some level of violence will follow if there is no indictment.
“I think it will be more violent than before,” says McMullen, the insurance company owner.

McMullen hates to see the business that he’s run for 20 years look the way it does. “I hate the boards,” he says. But he obliged his landlord who offered to install them.
“I don’t like them here, but I don’t want my windows smashed out either,” he says.

McMullen is one of the few white business owners in this part of Ferguson. He says he knows most residents just want to speak their minds without violence, but he says it’s “the crazies” that worry him.

“People who aren’t afraid are stupid because fear keeps your mind alert and keeps yourself protected,” McMullen says. And for him, so does the concealed weapon he carries.

Fighting the fear
On the surface, it looks like David Royal is boarding up and cleaning out an old Ponderosa restaurant on West Florissant Road. Instead, he’s renovating it.
“We can change the face of Ferguson, and that’s what we’re doing here,” Royal says.
He and a handful of volunteers, some of them also protesters, worked hand in hand with Mayor Knowles for a day to turn the old boarded up building into the Center for Hope and Peace. When it opens, Royal says the Center will help local residents with job training and plug them into existing social services.
“Even though we have some bumps in the road, we stick together,” Royal says.
Steps away, at a strip mall with more boards than windows, the Burger Bar and More restaurant stands out. Not just for its signature Garbage Burger, topped with a fried egg, but also because it’s one of the few on West Florissant that is not boarded up. The owner, Charles Davis, opened the restaurant the day before Brown was killed.
“I want to make a statement to the community,” Davis says. “I’m here, I’m open and I’m not going anywhere.”
He suffered through the first round of protests and he plans to stand firm no matter what the future holds.
“I refused to shut down then, I refuse to shut down now,” Davis says. “I fear only one thing: God.”
From Jason Kravarik and Sara Sidner
CNN’s Noah Gray contributed to this report.

mick silver
11th November 2014, 01:55 PM
I bet that place will look like hell after the grand jury come back . but I would say it is already hell for most of the whites there

crimethink
11th November 2014, 02:58 PM
I hope the Niggers chimpout in every city in the land, showing all decent people just how much "Diversity is our strength!" yet again.

"Pants up, don't loot!"

Ponce
11th November 2014, 03:42 PM
Sure crimethink, the poor poor poor cops will do nothing to iniiate the revolt but only "defend" themselves.....if there were no cops around there would be no trouble around.......this will be only a practice for what will be done to the rest of Amerika.

V

crimethink
11th November 2014, 05:50 PM
Sure crimethink, the poor poor poor cops will do nothing to iniiate the revolt but only "defend" themselves.....if there were no cops around there would be no trouble around.......this will be only a practice for what will be done to the rest of Amerika.

The fact you live in very rural Oregon and not a shitty filled with Niggers speaks for itself.