PDA

View Full Version : Using Live Rounds To Clean a Handgun?

palani
11th November 2014, 03:09 PM
If this happens often enough maybe they should be restricted to using slingshots? However he could be commended for getting two bad guys with one shot.

http://www.dailyiowanmedia.com/live/2014/11/10/officer-accidently-shoots-2-officers/

Officer accidently shoots himself, another officer

An Iowa City police officer accidentally shots himself and another officer while cleaning his service weapon Monday evening.

According to a release, members of the Iowa City police were conducting cleaning and maintenance of their service weapons at the substation, 1067 Highway 6 E., when an officer accidentally shot his weapon at himself and another officer who was standing nearby.

Both of the officers were sent to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics by the Johnson County Ambulance Service and were later released, the release said. The names of the officers involved will not be released, and the incident will be subject to an internal investigation.

mick silver
11th November 2014, 03:42 PM
they are both hero's now

crimethink
11th November 2014, 05:49 PM
"Only the best wear the badge."

(as one of our fellows here likes to say)

Cebu_4_2
11th November 2014, 05:59 PM
I don't know about you guys but I always clean my pistols with live rounds chambered... It's common sense.

osoab
11th November 2014, 06:06 PM
he was checking that the chamber was clear, not cleaning it.

BrewTech
11th November 2014, 06:38 PM

It's clear now! Nice shootin' there, Tex...

Glass
11th November 2014, 07:01 PM
I cleaned my gun about 60 times last night and I didn't shoot myself or any one else even once. Does that make me a good shot or a bad shot? I've been thinking I might need to drift my sights a bit.

Cebu_4_2
11th November 2014, 07:16 PM

And I always point the end of the pistol at myself and others while clearing the chamber...

Even if there is a jammed round I would never point this into harms way. Kinda like grabbing a chainsaw by the chain while running but idling.