PDA

View Full Version : Why more American families are going cashless

crimethink
12th December 2014, 08:59 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102260717

Research shows that using cash isn't all that cheap. The cost of using cash to consumers, business and governments is about $200 billion a year in everything from ATM fees to theft to lost tax revenue. For the average American family, that's more than $1,700 a year, according to Tufts University.

Shami-Amourae
12th December 2014, 09:02 AM
But don't use Bitcoins. Whatever you do.
:rolleyes:

expat4ever
12th December 2014, 09:16 AM
Actually using cash is free. Go to the bank cash a check and pay for everything in cash. Whats the cost?
I can tell you when I walk into a store and pay cash I am in and out. I hate waiting for assholes to figure out their pin number or wait for the transaction to be approved. I walk in, hand them my money, get my change and I'm done. If I want gas I go in throw a 20 down and tell em which pump I want it on. No waiting.

Also need to figure that every debit or credit card transaction has some fee attached to it. Those fees are paid by the merchant and factored into your products. There's the real cost to consumers. Far more than atm fees.
Also when using a credit card you are creating money from thin air just as in a mortgage. Many dont know this. doesnt matter if you pay it off every month your still creating money from nothing.
There's a reason why the banks are pushing this. Makes then rich and you poor.

7th trump
12th December 2014, 09:28 AM
Using cash doesnt really cost me any more than being cashless.
Theres always fee's using any card.

Besides its priceless to be untrackable in what you purchase with cash.

Hatha Sunahara
12th December 2014, 09:48 AM
The advantage to using cash is that you can preserve some semblance of privacy with it. I know that means very little to a nation that values membership in Facebook over privacy. But, if you don't think it's anybody's business how you spend your money, using cash is a great way to express that need for privacy.

Hatha

old steel
12th December 2014, 10:46 AM
Cash is king and it will become even more so in this downward death spiral we find ourselves in.

I was at Costco late last month and all the ATM's went down. After 10 minutes give or take people just left their carts and walked out of the store.

I continued to get what i came for, paid in cash and left with my goods.

EE_
12th December 2014, 11:11 AM
Cash is king and it will become even more so in this downward death spiral we find ourselves in.

I was at Costco late last month and all the ATM's went down. After 10 minutes give or take people just left their carts and walked out of the store.

I continued to get what i came for, paid in cash and left with my goods.

http://gi255.photobucket.com/groups/hh144/4T0IUBT2L4/grin.jpg

crimethink
12th December 2014, 06:13 PM

Until it's banned. And it will be, de facto or de jure. Probably related to a "terrorism" scare not foisted on the population yet - "ISIS/al-Qaeda are spreading deadly disease via paper money..."

monochrome
12th December 2014, 06:16 PM
Barter will be the way to go in the near future.

crimethink
12th December 2014, 06:54 PM
Barter will be the way to go in the near future.

That is true, but I believe the prophecy: "that no man may buy or sell save he that had the Mark." The day where that is reality is coming.

Barter will continue, even into the darkest of times, but eventually, it will be a capital offense.

Hitch
12th December 2014, 07:07 PM
It would not be hard to make cash worthless, there's no inherent value. It's just paper. All they need to do is more brainwashing and less and less merchants will accept cash because only "criminals" pay in cash, upstanding citizens don't do that anymore, they are civilized. Or some bullshit like that.

In enough time, cash will be viewed as evil, barbaric and criminal.

Barter is another issue because that is trading something of value for something else in value. Barterers will be ousted as well.

monochrome
12th December 2014, 07:10 PM
Barter is universal, barter is build in on us, if barter is ever stopped, life as we know it will be over.

ShortJohnSilver
13th December 2014, 12:59 AM
What is really going on, is that now merchants and CC processing companies, have what is called "Level 3 Data" which means, not only is your card and place of purchase available, but, each item that you purchased, goes into their eternal database.

So for instance, let us say "John Watson" has a credit card - well, it is easy to figure out which John Watson he is of the many in the USA, because if we pay enough we can get his identifying details.

Every day John stops by the local convenience store, buys a Red Bull and a Nestle brand Butterfingers chocolate bar. Sometimes for his wife he buys a Starbucks cappuccino (in a bottle).

THAT DATA is available to anyone who wants to pay for it.

So Coca-Cola comes out with their own energy drink, let's say; and they have a tie-in for marketing, with Hershey's. Now they can drill down, look for potential people to serve ads to online.

Since John bought some stuff at different Black Friday online shopping events, the ads he was served while on those sites, are now connected to his name, his email address, and his credit card #.

So it is trivial to tie it all together, and say to the big online ad companies, "when this guy gets an ad, serve him an ad for Coke's energy drink and/or Hershey chocolate bars".

That is the easily-done, not-scary version.

Now imagine that they have a little more info, or, that John went to Cabelas' online and checked prices for .45 and .22LR calibar ammo, but not any other ammo. NOW you can easily make a case that he likely has a .45 and a .22LR gun, since he did not browse the guns, only the ammo for those specific calibers.

Use your imagination for other scenarios...

BUT DO YOU SEE - the credit card company has all your info, and, they are happy to sell it, indeed, are looking for different ways to sell it, to anyone else. So the CC company makes money from credit card fees, from any finance charges they get from you, and now, from selling your personal info to any and all comers. This new line of business, could easily increase their profit by 20% or more !

NOW - tie it into any kind of govt surveillance you want. Imagine going to a doctor, being overweight, and having him ask you why you buy a chocolate bar each day!?

crimethink
13th December 2014, 01:27 AM
Imagine going to a doctor, being overweight, and having him ask you why you buy a chocolate bar each day!?

https://www.aclu.org/ordering-pizza

EE_
13th December 2014, 01:33 AM
What is really going on, is that now merchants and CC processing companies, have what is called "Level 3 Data" which means, not only is your card and place of purchase available, but, each item that you purchased, goes into their eternal database.

So for instance, let us say "John Watson" has a credit card - well, it is easy to figure out which John Watson he is of the many in the USA, because if we pay enough we can get his identifying details.

Every day John stops by the local convenience store, buys a Red Bull and a Nestle brand Butterfingers chocolate bar. Sometimes for his wife he buys a Starbucks cappuccino (in a bottle).

THAT DATA is available to anyone who wants to pay for it.

So Coca-Cola comes out with their own energy drink, let's say; and they have a tie-in for marketing, with Hershey's. Now they can drill down, look for potential people to serve ads to online.

Since John bought some stuff at different Black Friday online shopping events, the ads he was served while on those sites, are now connected to his name, his email address, and his credit card #.

So it is trivial to tie it all together, and say to the big online ad companies, "when this guy gets an ad, serve him an ad for Coke's energy drink and/or Hershey chocolate bars".

That is the easily-done, not-scary version.

Now imagine that they have a little more info, or, that John went to Cabelas' online and checked prices for .45 and .22LR calibar ammo, but not any other ammo. NOW you can easily make a case that he likely has a .45 and a .22LR gun, since he did not browse the guns, only the ammo for those specific calibers.

Use your imagination for other scenarios...

BUT DO YOU SEE - the credit card company has all your info, and, they are happy to sell it, indeed, are looking for different ways to sell it, to anyone else. So the CC company makes money from credit card fees, from any finance charges they get from you, and now, from selling your personal info to any and all comers. This new line of business, could easily increase their profit by 20% or more !

NOW - tie it into any kind of govt surveillance you want. Imagine going to a doctor, being overweight, and having him ask you why you buy a chocolate bar each day!?

http://www.prothink.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1525709_1388499738066542_1460428208_n.jpg