PDA

View Full Version : No Charges For California Officer Caught With 5 Pounds Of Marijuana

Cebu_4_2
18th December 2014, 12:41 PM
No Charges For California Officer Caught With 5 Pounds Of Marijuana

Drug War
Politics
US

By: Zach McAuliffe Dec 18, 2014

Image of bundles of drugs from the Raw Story.
Submit to StumbleUpon Share

No charges are planned on being filed against a California police officer who was in possession of between four and five pounds of marijuana at his home in Oakley, California.

Officer Joe Avila, a 17-year-veteran of the Richmond Police Force (RPF), has been under investigation by the RPF since January, according to the Richmond Confidential. It was around this time the RPF began to notice Avila was not filing any follow-up reports for about 37 calls of service he had gone on.

One of these calls was to a UPS Store in November, 2013, where it is suspected Avila had collected the marijuana and then failed to turn the drugs over to the department’s evidence department.

Robin Lipetzky, the county’s chief public defender, told the Raw Story, “They are cutting him some slack because he’s a police officer… Anybody else found with 5 pounds of marijuana in their possession, I don’t care who that is, that person is going to be charged with a crime.”

While he was under investigation, Avila said he had used two of the five pounds of marijuana to help train his police dog. The other drugs though, he did not comment on.

When the investigation was under way, Avila was the key witness in a case where he had helped to secure a conviction. However, Deputy Public Defender Elise McNamara who represented the defendant in this case, is saying this is an ethics violation.

“They have a constitutional mandate to disclose exculpatory evidence to us prior to a trial,” said McNamara. “If there’s an officer on the case who’s been discredited, then we have the right to know that.”

“The DA’s office is taking the position that this officer did nothing wrong. And because they think he did nothing wrong, they are not turning over any information,” said Lipetzky. “They have a vested interest in not having an officer’s credibility called into question, because then it impacts all the cases they’re trying to prosecute.”

As of now, Avila is on paid administrative leave

gunDriller
18th December 2014, 12:52 PM
as long as he wasn't selling that cheap press-brick Coca Cola infused Mexican mersh.

BrewTech
18th December 2014, 01:01 PM
Further evidence that "LAW" no longer exists.

Hitch
18th December 2014, 01:04 PM
5 pounds of weed is a felony, for you and me. Also, more than a person would normally use, so intent to sell as well?

There's your double standard, folks. The book would be thrown at us, but not him, of course.

midnight rambler
18th December 2014, 01:06 PM

Yep, it's all policy now and our policy is to allow our enforcers to do just about anything they want to. It's one of the perks of the job.

No doubt he trained his K-9 to go out and find him the very best bud.

mick silver
18th December 2014, 01:26 PM
Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost.

Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost.

Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost.

Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost.

Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in “the goodness of humanity” is lost.

Dogman
18th December 2014, 01:33 PM
Do as I say, not as I do!

osoab
18th December 2014, 04:54 PM
5 pounds of weed is a felony, for you and me. Also, more than a person would normally use

speak for yourself. :o

old steel
18th December 2014, 05:02 PM
Brutal, double standard shinning through, even if it was skunk weed.

crimethink
18th December 2014, 06:29 PM

"The Law" is for you. (and me - not them)

BrewTech
18th December 2014, 07:11 PM
"The Law" is for you. (and me - not them)

"Law", by definition (at least my understanding of it), cannot be selectively applied. Let me know when cops or anyone else in the political class learns how to selectively apply the "Law of Gravity".

What you and I are subject to (at least in the political realm) is nothing more than administrative public policy.

Cebu_4_2
18th December 2014, 07:21 PM
Brutal, double standard shinning through, even if it was skunk weed.

Skunk weed is cool as long as it ain't moldy. Around here people must throw seeds out the windows cause them things just grow like weeds here.

Santa
18th December 2014, 07:39 PM
Not only was he caught with five pounds of weed, it was also STOLEN property.

Cebu_4_2
18th December 2014, 07:51 PM
Not only was he caught with five pounds of weed, it was also STOLEN property.

No, man, he was police! Same shit over and over.... distraction?

old steel
18th December 2014, 07:54 PM
Skunk weed is cool as long as it ain't moldy. Around here people must throw seeds out the windows cause them things just grow like weeds here.

Nothing beats free weed off the range, never ran into any myself.

Cebu_4_2
18th December 2014, 08:06 PM
Nothing beats free weed off the range, never ran into any myself.

Cause you threw the shit over my fence!

old steel
18th December 2014, 08:49 PM
Cause you threw the shit over my fence!

Dude nada, my dog would have ate you and you wouldn't be posting here now, unless you were a bot.

crimethink
18th December 2014, 10:54 PM
"Law", by definition (at least my understanding of it), cannot be selectively applied. Let me know when cops or anyone else in the political class learns how to selectively apply the "Law of Gravity".

What you and I are subject to (at least in the political realm) is nothing more than administrative public policy.

That's why I put "The Law" in quotation marks. "The Law" is "important" only as a control mechanism for we "lesser" types.

BrewTech
19th December 2014, 06:39 AM
Eventually the livestock come to terms with the "Law" if it is applied repeatedly...

http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thumb/2/2f/Get-a-Cow-With-Nerve-Damage-to-Her-Hind-Legs-from-a-Long-Birth-or-Hard-Pull-to-Stand-Up-Step-2Bullet5-Version-2.jpg/670px-Get-a-Cow-With-Nerve-Damage-to-Her-Hind-Legs-from-a-Long-Birth-or-Hard-Pull-to-Stand-Up-Step-2Bullet5-Version-2.jpg