PDA

View Full Version : Young people are 'lost generation' who can no longer fix gadgets, warns professor

crimethink
28th December 2014, 02:02 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11298927/Young-people-are-lost-generation-who-can-no-longer-fix-gadgets-warns-professor.html

Young people in Britain have become a lost generation who can no longer mend gadgets and appliances because they have grown up in a disposable world, the professor giving this year’s Royal Institution Christmas lectures has warned.

Danielle George, Professor of Radio Frequency Engineering, at the University of Manchester, claims that the under 40s expect everything to ‘just work’ and have no idea what to do when things go wrong.

Unlike previous generations who would ‘make do and mend’ now young people will just chuck out their faulty appliances and buy new ones.

Hillbilly
28th December 2014, 02:16 PM
This is truth, kids today and most adults are fucked. my Dad's dremel broke but and he was going to throw it out, I said don't until you let me look look at it, I fixed it.

Dogman
28th December 2014, 02:20 PM
This is truth, kids today and most adults are fucked. my Dad's dremel broke but and he was going to throw it out, I said don't until you let me look look at it, I fixed it.

Seen the same thing with people with power tools.

Brushes wear out and most people do not realize that brushes can be replaced and commutators can be dressed down for high copper/ high mica. Have fixed many a electric drills for friends.

skid
28th December 2014, 02:23 PM
For most things it's cheaper to buy another new than to try to fix. Especially when one values their time.

I do wood working as a hobby, and can buy finished solid wood furniture for cheaper than I can buy the wood.

Dogman
28th December 2014, 02:25 PM
But which is better?

Cookie cut or handmade?

madfranks
28th December 2014, 02:42 PM
But which is better?

Cookie cut or handmade?

You have the option to buy both. For a cheap-ass price you can get a mass produced low quality POS from China, or for a premium price you can get a high quality local made piece that'll last your lifetime.

Dogman
28th December 2014, 02:46 PM
You have the option to buy both. For a cheap-ass price you can get a mass produced low quality POS from China, or for a premium price you can get a high quality local made piece that'll last your lifetime.

A lifetime and then pass on to the next generation!

Android Forum Runner

Twisted Titan
28th December 2014, 05:03 PM
If you cant fix something you need or want.

You will always be the slave of the one who can.

And they dont have the hide they rule over you.

Now who would push for a entire generation to have their normal inquisitive god given mind reduced to mush?

Hitch
28th December 2014, 06:35 PM
I have been trying to train the new guys coming through, but a lot of them are more interested in their cell phones than actual work. A few good ones come through though, and they give us hope. Usually they are the ones used to being active, such as hunting, etc. The good workers seem to like guns for some reason. A young guy who appreciates gun rights tends to get in there and get things done. Strange pattern, but worth noting.

BrewTech
28th December 2014, 07:07 PM
I have been trying to train the new guys coming through, but a lot of them are more interested in their cell phones than actual work. A few good ones come through though, and they give us hope. Usually they are the ones used to being active, such as hunting, etc. The good workers seem to like guns for some reason. A young guy who appreciates gun rights tends to get in there and get things done. Strange pattern, but worth noting.

That's easy.

To the working guys, guns are primarily tools, not toys. To the phoners, the iPhone is primarily a toy, not a tool.

Both items can be both (meaning recreational shooting with the gun, of course, as opposed to hunting for food or self-defense), but a useful person will see both as tools to be made useful, not articles of amusement.

mick silver
28th December 2014, 07:32 PM
I have a shop full of old furniture most of the stuff in our home is over 100years old once I am done they look as nice as they did back in the day and I have gave stuff a second life being something else and people are not afraid to pay for the stuff I do

skid
28th December 2014, 11:08 PM
I was out in the shop tonight doing some work and my oldest kid came out. He threw a couple of rail road spikes in the coals of the wood stove. Got them red hot and started hammering them on the anvil to make knives out of them. RR spikes are not the highest carbon steel and the knives will not hold that good of an edge, but its good practice. He's been doing that since he was 12 or so...