PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Bridge, suicide nets.

Hitch
30th December 2014, 05:35 PM
I think this is a good idea. Some folks don't think so, they think people who are going to off themselves, the Golden Gate is the best spot for it.

I think, detering suicide, might change people's lives. They might rethink that decision, and fix what issues they have.

I know it costs $76 million in tax payer dollars.

Think about the millions tax payers pay on BS though, such as birds at the old bay bridge. They say each cormorant bird at that job site costs $40,000 per bird, plus, they aren't even native to California!

So, basically. the $40,000 they spend to save one nesting bird, is less than what they would save per jumper on the Golden Gate Bridge.

A bird's life is worth more than a persons.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Golden-Gate-Bridge-going-to-get-suicide-nets-5585482.php

crimethink
30th December 2014, 07:20 PM
Who is going to get the no-bid or insider-bid contract to waste all that money?

This is yet another government effort to "protect us from ourselves," at great expense, to us.

The power-mad f**ks at the GGBHTD who are pushing this are also pushing to charge pedestrians to cross the bridge. WTF?! Pedestrians cost absolutely nothing in maintenance costs. It's purely a money grab. These bureaucrats only care about power & profit, and don't give an iota of a shit about suicidal people.

If suicidal people can't jump off the GGB, they can move to another bridge. Or a cliff. Or to a bottle of pills.

Hitch
30th December 2014, 07:30 PM
If suicidal people can't jump off the GGB, they can move to another bridge. Or a cliff. Or to a bottle of pills.

This is the biggest argument against the nets. If people can't jump, they will hang themselves, etc.

However, it is estimated that 50% of the jumpers would not commit suicide, if it wasn't for the bridge.

There's something about this bridge, Crimethink. Folks come from countries all over to jump off of it. It is insane. Suicide nets perhaps could be a good deterrent.

crimethink
30th December 2014, 07:55 PM
This is the biggest argument against the nets. If people can't jump, they will hang themselves, etc.

However, it is estimated that 50% of the jumpers would not commit suicide, if it wasn't for the bridge.

There's something about this bridge, Crimethink. Folks come from countries all over to jump off of it. It is insane. Suicide nets perhaps could be a good deterrent.

I think those "stats" are rigged by those looking at a large pork roast in the tens of millions.

The GGB is a serene place, despite the traffic behind you. Those who are suicidal find it mystical.

However, I'm against yet another "protect us from ourselves" measure like this. I don't believe for a second the big shots promoting it care about anyone but themselves.

Hitch
30th December 2014, 08:19 PM
I think those "stats" are rigged by those looking at a large pork roast in the tens of millions.

The GGB is a serene place, despite the traffic behind you. Those who are suicidal find it mystical.

However, I'm against yet another "protect us from ourselves" measure like this. I don't believe for a second the big shots promoting it care about anyone but themselves.

This is the biggest convincing argument against these nets.

That and jumping off the bridge is a clean death. It is, in regards to suicide. If you time the current you can even catch the ebb and go out to sea.

The thing that bugs me, is how society places a higher dollar amount on birds....than people.

crimethink
30th December 2014, 08:25 PM
This is the biggest convincing argument against these nets.

That and jumping off the bridge is a clean death. It is, in regards to suicide. If you time the current you can even catch the ebb and go out to sea.

The thing that bugs me, is how society places a higher dollar amount on birds....than people.

The same thing happened in the Roman Empire. Pets were valued more highly than children.

I think people should be allowed to die if they insist. As you point out, it's (mostly) "clean." And quick. It's very sad that people are so tormented that suicide seems the only option. But such is the nature of our soulless society.

Hitch
30th December 2014, 08:38 PM
I think people should be allowed to die if they insist. As you point out, it's (mostly) "clean." And quick. It's very sad that people are so tormented that suicide seems the only option. But such is the nature of our soulless society.

I really think it is evil that causes this, from the big Pharma drugs getting pushed on society, to the lack of morals that are taught to be important by the media. If kids grew up with healthy families, a father and a mother who love each other, than they wouldn't even think about this.

But, folks that commit suicide hurt those around them the most. Their families never forgive them. People who are aound, think how much it sucks to be put in that clean up situation.

madfranks
30th December 2014, 09:03 PM
I swear the OP has got to be satire.