PDA

View Full Version : The Cat

Glass
1st January 2015, 10:40 PM
I discovered a stray cat lurking around my work place. After watching a short time it was obvious the cat was living underneath the building next door. I don't mind cats. I've lived with quite a few but in most cases I was not the owner or I was part of the family.

I fed this one and over a couple weeks it got used to me and became friendly. Other people started noticing the cat which becomes a problem for the cat because that's when the Council Ranger gets a call. So I told everyone I was working up to bring it home.

It has a good temperament but it is very nervous. Living on the street will do that to you. I suspect it simply got left behind when someone moved. There is an apartment building behind by work place and it would go and lay about the car park area.

I worked up the courage to grab the cat and bring it home. Very stressful. I don't like to see animals in anxiety. Moving a cat is an anxious time. So the cat is very well behaved. It has clearly been house trained. When I let it out of the cage, it meowed and howled for half an hour then it disappeared. So after about an hour and a half I realised I hadn't seen it or heard it and I turned the house upside down but could not find it. I was freaking out it had got out somehow.

Then it surfaced again. I fed it some, then we chatted and patted. This is a chatty cat, although all my cats have been talkers. Then we went on a tour of the house. Checked out all the rooms. Checked out the litter tray, trying to convey the idea you can dig the stuff about. Turns out the cat knows about litter trays and had filled this one up already. I think it thought I was telling it to cover it up better.

The main thing that gets me is the purring and the meowing. It's purring full on, loud,. non stop. I thought this was a sign of good temperament even though in a new scarey situation but it seems cats purr when they are scared also. I thought it was maybe because the cat feels safe with me, even though the location is new. Anyway the anxiety is pretty high. I feel bad uprooting the cat but you can't live in an alley and hope to survive against a council bylaw.

Once it is settled in we will go to the vet and check if it has an RFID on it. I checked out for lost cats and found maybe 5 listings that could fit this cat but I think 4 were from a fair distance away. Not sure the cat could make it that far. If it has none I hope to keep it. I don't think it's been fixed up yet but if it's someone elses cat it might be. I figure it is between 1 and 2 years old.

At the moment I think the cat is a bit on edge and I think I am as well. Not sure I've done the right thing. If the cat is pre owned and we can reunite them that would be ok.

BrewTech
2nd January 2015, 07:20 AM
Nicely done sir. I've had cats all my life, and have always bonded well with them. My current cat family was born in the attic of my former residence, and we have raised them from newborn kittens. They are a big responsibility, but I couldn't imagine life without them.

Glass
2nd January 2015, 08:16 PM
Its been a couple tough nights. This is a prowling cat so we are having some adjustment issues. The cat seems to start the day off very wound up. I get the impression when it's looking outside for the first time it's hoping to see its old turf. Then it gets pretty uptight and disappears for a couple hours. When it comes out it in the afternoon it's more relaxed. When it gets dark outside it starts prowling and meowing

I don't know how long I should force it to stay inside before it gets settled. I guess we see how we go. I was thinking it was cool yesterday afternoon for a short walk in a high fenced area, but not confident it wouldn't bolt after this mornings stress.

Tumbleweed
4th January 2015, 12:03 AM
Glass is your cat a male of female? Cats in my experience come and go and especially if they're male. The females tend to stick around in one area but the males wander. Cats will hunt at night and if one has been making it's own living in the evening it may be wanting to go hunting. I have cats that are not tame enough to pet. I put out a little cat food in the morning for them and that gives them the rest of the day and the night to hunt and keep my buildings free of mice. They show up in the mornings for food but wander and hunt the rest of the day.

I see the females bringing in mice to their kittens when they are small and even after the kittens are grown. The females are the best hunters. The males will wander for miles looking for females to breed. I eliminate the wandering males because they're a waste of expensive cat food and if they find some females they tend to stick around for awhile and fatten up on the free and easy food.

Glass
4th January 2015, 12:55 AM
yes I might be in that boat. The cat is a male. We are looking for another night of wanting to go out after having slept all day. Someone said if I let it out and it sticks around then thats the choice if not so what they are survivors and thats true to a point. Looking at the lost cats lists it seems fixing them up might not keep them from wandering. A lot of cats go missing here. There are plenty of real wild ones out there in the bush but the domestic ones that go missing. They are well cared for, plump and usually bug/disease free. You can't help but think, someone want to cook em up and chow down?. I've seen vans with animal cages in them, just in case. I was torn about doing the best thing. Leave it to it's chances or give it a home. I have some time to be here with it all day for a few days to try and settle it in.

Tumbleweed
4th January 2015, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure if you give that cat a chance to wander and he hasn't been castrated he'll go wandering again. Even if they are castrated they still go wandering. I've got one here now that's been castrated and he's wandering but I can't eliminate him because I know who's cat he is.

Hawks, eagles, owls and coyotes eat the mature cats here. Lots of other varmints eat the kittens. I don't spay the females. If I did I'd run out of cats to keep the mice down because of the animals preying on them. They disappear fairly often with no trace and never return.

Glass
4th January 2015, 03:23 PM
looking at the lost cats web sites they are nearly all male. I've had a mix of cats and I think maybe half the males stuck around and all the females.

We have been outside yesterday and again this morning. Very high fence area so no getting out but its very clear we are intent on going up and over at the first chance.

So ok night last night but some frayed nerves this morning with the problem of it still being the wrong place each morning when the cat looks outside. Very hot day to day and it will be home alone.

Still not sure I've done the right thing but I'll post some Found Cat notices and see if anyone calls. Try and be vague because lost cats is cheap food.

Tumbleweed
4th January 2015, 05:27 PM
Still not sure I've done the right thing but I'll post some Found Cat notices and see if anyone calls. Try and be vague because lost cats is cheap food.

Sounds like you've got a different kind of predator than I do. ;-)

Glass
4th January 2015, 05:37 PM
yes #23 chilli chicken. We have a lot of poaching go on here as well. Lot of the wild river duck ends up in Peking.

Anyway we see. I don't mind the cat being out side, just need confidence he will be able to find way around and back to base. Need to get a door flap so it can do as it pleases.

its weird coming to work and just seeing the empty food bowls and no cat waiting.

Tumbleweed
5th January 2015, 02:03 AM
I can't imagine cat tasting very good and I think they'd be tough. The tomcats I've had stay around always stayed better when there were females that stayed at home. A tomcat will stay his home but they end up fighting off the stray tomcats all the time so they seem to always have ripped up ears and scabs from their most recent fights.

Glass
5th January 2015, 02:32 AM
yes I think the working cat and the sleeping domestic cat might taste a bit different.

Been a extreme hot day and the cat is out side in a high fence area on it's own at the moment. Trying to keep a sideways watch on it while not acting like I am. Cut it some slack for a short while. Might try introducing it to the front yard over the weekend. See how we go.

Tumbleweed
5th January 2015, 06:32 AM
Just keep the cat food out and that's about all you can do to keep them around. They like a steady and easy source of food. They will supplement it by hunting because it's their instinct. They wander in search of females to breed.

Glass
6th January 2015, 05:34 PM
5 AM and cat jumps on head. Good Morning! Are you pleased to see me too?

I bought a couple of cat nip toys. Result? Psycho cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=UhQ9HquDNEM

BrewTech
6th January 2015, 06:47 PM

My cat alarm clock seems to be set for 5:33 AM. He jumps heavily on the bed, starts purring loudly and sits on my chest. Staring. If I pretend to be asleep he will leave and come back in 5-7 mins... at least he has a snooze button.

Dogman
6th January 2015, 06:55 PM
My cat alarm clock seems to be set for 5:33 AM. He jumps heavily on the bed, starts purring loudly and sits on my chest. Staring. If I pretend to be asleep he will leave and come back in 5-7 mins... at least he has a snooze button.Had one like that years ago, chest jump and all, but he would make it a sure thing by "making bread" on my chest. {0}

That cat had it timed right, I rarely needed the alarm clock on working days. On weekends we would play, turn the cat into an airplane and then launched by me.

;D

Tumbleweed
9th January 2015, 09:06 PM

My sister in law gave me a cat nip toy for my cat for christmas. It makes her crazy as hell. It's really cold here so if she gets to wild I launch her out the door of the house to cool her off and calm her down.

Glass
16th January 2015, 04:53 AM
we've had a few events the past couple days that have been a bit traumatic. Still recovering our nerves both cat and me. Lot of hair on these cats. Thought I would go over the floors while the cat was outside, except the cat was not out side. The sleeping place seems to be underneath a lounge. It has a recliner part that leaves a void under there. So I figure get the vac in there while there's a window. The cat can get back in from that part of outside and was curled up in there. I had no idea. I lifted the couch up, pinned the cat and stuck the vacuum up there. Did not go well.

Cat is petrified of the sleeping place and has not settled anywhere else. Trying to coaxing it back. Not convinced it's safe yet.

Also I got punked tonight as well. He's not stupid. Thats for sure.

Dogman
16th January 2015, 04:57 AM
Vacuum's are a cats mortal enemy!

Most dogs do not care for them ether!

Guess chasing them with one, doesn't help!

;)

EE_
16th January 2015, 05:38 AM
Vacuum's are a cats mortal enemy!

Most dogs do not care for them ether!

Guess chasing them with one, doesn't help!

;)

Shame on you guys for chasing you pets with the vacuum. I admit it's tempting for a few laughs, but I won't scare my beloved creatures like that. Shame, shame shame!

Dog: "see how you like it motherfucker!"
http://www.writtalin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/c640x360_6-640x350.jpg

gunDriller
16th January 2015, 05:48 AM
i did that once.

it showed up on my patio missing its upper left canine.

i fed it for about 3 months. got it healthy again.

then it disappeared.

i suspect it may have ended up being dinner for local homeless folks.

'here kitty kitty' etc.

Glass
20th January 2015, 12:24 AM
well still interesting times. The cat seems pretty settled now. We play the lets open this door and sit and look outside, then go to this other door way on the other side of the house and open that one and take a look. Nope back to the first one.

It is a very polite well behaved cat for the most part. Very surprising. It is still very nervy. It will jump or cower if I move suddenly. It seems to take a second or two to recognise me and if I'm wearing sunglasses it just doesn't recognise me.

Going out side has been a bit up and down. The cat was very impatient to go out at night and gets stuck into the door if I don't open it. However the other night it was out and the Tom cat from across the road somewhere was prowling about again and making those horrible Tom cat sounds. This cat was back at the front door very quickly and wanted in. So not keen for a confrontation. Ok by me, the other car is a real brawler although about the same size. I'm happy for this cat to leave a bit of a trail here and there up the street just for the stir factor with this Tom.

I'm hoping it's mawing will annoy someone up the street. I think it belongs to some indigenous people who live across the way, along with some kind of mongrel chihuahua dingo cross that roams the streets pissing on things and barking for no reason. Seems he doesn't like my cat. Good news. Also the house where the people are living has a high turn over so I don't expect they will be there long.

The cat cannot go back to the sleeping place after the vacuum incident. I've tried coaxing it back and even crawling under there to show it there is no beast living in there. Not convinced. I don't think the current sleeping arrangements are very good and the cat doesn't seem as content as it was before. He did seem very down for a few days.

I've been trying some cat and dog repellent spray. I have encouraged birds to the area and now they are under threat from the Tom and this cat. So I watched the cat to see where it positioned itself. Then I sprayed this around the bird bath and the fences going to the pillar it is on. I also sprayed the tree out front where they nest.

This stuff works amazingly well. It doesn't seem to annoy the cat but the cat just doesn't go anywhere near there. Down side is, the yard is small, maybe 5 x 5 m and I think I've sprayed enough stuff that there isn't too many places in the yard the cat can go. All of the beds seem to be out of the question so doing the business is a bit of an issue ATM. I think this has also brought the cats mood down a bit as the potential to roam about is much less than at the back of work.

I ordered a cat door which should be here in a week. It will fit in a sliding door. I need to get the lock on the door fixed. The latching mechanism is stuck. I thought the barrel was stuffed and still could be, however while trying to get the thing apart the barrel started working again. It's just the latch won't release so I can't open the door. Of course to really change the lock or barrel you need to be able to open the door and I can't. Even with the door lock in pieces I can't find a way to flick the latch and open it. I think I can move the cam back out of the way ok but the latch is in a different area. It is a Whitco Leichhardt. I'll have another go tonight.

I also think he mimics me a bit when I sleep. I make a few noises with my breathing and this guy is either dreaming or just making the noises like I am. He also lets me sleep in a bit now too.

Glass
21st January 2015, 03:49 AM
good news!

door is fixed. WD40. Is there anything it can't do? Got the door unlatched. Squirted machine oil in all the holes. Its running pretty good. I still think the locking latch is pretty stiff so I might replace the whole thing. can do now it's opened.0

Tumbleweed
21st January 2015, 07:54 PM
Sounds like you're kind of getting the hang of herdin that cat around Glass. Maybe you could get a job trailing herds of cats with the guys in this country that are cat herders. I've got my own herd of cats here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Glass
21st January 2015, 08:17 PM
I don't know if I'm up to it. Totally knackered today. 2 cat fights last night. The tom has homed in now. Midnight comes the noise of battle. I go out there and the cat is sitting at the very top of the bird nesting tree, right were the main hangout seems to be. So I'm not sure if it's running or running and hunting. I'm spraying the hose into the tree to encourage him down. Got to take some time because it's a lot of small eye poking branches. He's down, a bit wet, doesn't seem agro at me tho so thats good.

on top of that we had repeated pounces in the dark on top of me trying to get some sleep. Also crash tackling what ever is moving beneath the covers. Claws came close to the danger zone a few times. I think I got about an hour sleep, 2 max.

Anyway if cat can go up tree I'm figuring the spray has worn off. Re-did this morning. Did not want to go out there afterwards.

Tumbleweed
21st January 2015, 08:34 PM
Sounds to me like you'd fit right in with those guys in the video. Herdin cats aint easy.

Glass
21st January 2015, 08:43 PM
no it aint and a favorite saying of mine, managing people is like herding cats.

Glass
28th January 2015, 06:09 PM
garage is cleared out of old car and will become a place of much beer. But also I will setup some cat space in there.

Looking into Catnasiums, Gyms etc. Some people build amazing setups for their cats.

Saw this:

http://youtu.be/yNG2OmCwc5Y

At the end of this video are a bunch more cat wheels. Some made from old bike frames, wheels and spokes, others the people made the whole wheel. We have throw out your dead at the moment so I might go looking for some other peoples trash for an old bike or I was thinking a washing machine. Cut the tub and frame out. Would need to slice the tub down a bit so not sure how to achieve that.

Was hoping to score some throw out carpet to use. Been raining overnight and looks like thunderstorms for the next week. Might be difficult to find anything now. Cats don't like thunder. At all.

BrewTech
28th January 2015, 07:19 PM
This totally happens... used to have a treadmill and six cats...endless laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfQueyRIjao

Dogman
28th January 2015, 07:48 PM
garage is cleared out of old car and will become a place of much beer. But also I will setup some cat space in there.

Looking into Catnasiums, Gyms etc. Some people build amazing setups for their cats.

Saw this:
Video Link: http://youtu.be/yNG2OmCwc5Y (http://youtu.be/yNG2OmCwc5Y)

At the end of this video are a bunch more cat wheels. Some made from old bike frames, wheels and spokes, others the people made the whole wheel. We have throw out your dead at the moment so I might go looking for some other peoples trash for an old bike or I was thinking a washing machine. Cut the tub and frame out. Would need to slice the tub down a bit so not sure how to achieve that.

Was hoping to score some throw out carpet to use. Been raining overnight and looks like thunderstorms for the next week. Might be difficult to find anything now. Cats don't like thunder. At all.

Here on the 4 th of July the city firework's display is at the lake, I live abt 1/4 mile or less from it. Sit on my porch and watch them.

When the boom's start the cats go poof!

Lucky to see them within a week after!

;)

Glass
28th January 2015, 08:37 PM
Monday was our austraylia day fireworks. sounds like distant thunder where i live.

I saw a treadmill on sunday on the street verge. Looked a-ok. Figured they were done with it. Didn't think of something like using it for the cat. Rained since so probably no good now.

need to get some thing happening to entertain the cat. Climbing the walls one moment and moping around the next. Very bored.

Dogman
28th January 2015, 08:57 PM
Monday was our austraylia day fireworks. sounds like distant thunder where i live.

I saw a treadmill on sunday on the street verge. Looked a-ok. Figured they were done with it. Didn't think of something like using it for the cat. Rained since so probably no good now.

need to get some thing happening to entertain the cat. Climbing the walls one moment and moping around the next. Very bored.

Cats like high places to hang out or hide. Many over the top or not , videos out showing wall cat walkways and shelves on walls and hanging .

Most that agreed to share time with me were mostly self starters and with toys could provide there own amusement.

Get some catnip toys and loose leaf/ powder and be amazed, unless like one I had did not care for catnip.

Boards wall brackets a tad of carpet, stuff hanging etc. Or a playmate/ partner!

;)

Edit

Small things that roll and make noise ,sqeeky ones also bring out the hunter/predictor in a cat.

Glass
28th January 2015, 09:10 PM
yes got a few of those. need some balls with bells in or something. We have played chasing things up and down the hall. We also like to jump up and catch stuff.

Trying to decide if I want to have a go a making something or buy in a multi level climbing thing. I would probably spend double what it costs to buy. I would have a few new tools at the end but it could take a while to get anything done. Might buy one in and then add to it.

Dogman
28th January 2015, 09:14 PM
yes got a few of those. need some balls with bells in or something. We have played chasing things up and down the hall. We also like to jump up and catch stuff.

Trying to decide if I want to have a go a making something or buy in a multi level climbing thing. I would probably spend double what it costs to buy. I would have a few new tools at the end but it could take a while to get anything done. Might buy one in and then add to it.

Really want to connect with your cat ?

Get a laser pointer and let the game's Begin, crazy fun for both of you! Just do not shine into its eyes, more sensitive than ours!

Edit

Just checked not legal! 1mw considered a weapon!

Feel for you , being controlled that much! But your death rate per % is lower than here!

Glass
28th January 2015, 10:32 PM
not sure whats going on here but the do some dumb stuff sometimes. Almost as bad as humans.

http://youtu.be/aE2hS-TPZE8

Seems to be taking spiral staircase a bit too literal. something good on that tail.

Glass
3rd February 2015, 09:10 PM
cat climbing condo thing arrived today. Very big thing in a very small box. Cat is scared by anything new coming into the house so should be fun.

Still trying to get the cat door in place. The sliding door is well out of alignment. I've had to drill out some plastic plugs to access the adjustment. Not enough adjustment to get the door level. Scored some replacement rollers. They pop out easily so I figured I would just chuck some new ones in. I will have a go at this tonight.

If that works then good but there is still a couple hours of messing around to fit the cat door and the security screen adapter.

Anyway I am gonna be busy the next few days. At least there is no thunderstorms today. Cat should be happier.

Glass
4th February 2015, 06:23 PM
Cat condo thing is built. Instructions were pretty good but I got confused a couple times screwing the wrong thing into another wrong thing. But anyway its up and it appears to match the product picture so thats a good sign.

I would like it to be a bit more stable. I think the base is a bit small for the height. We can do something there I'm sure. I also think the thing is as bit small for a grown cat. I guess chinese don't keep cats as pets so they probably don't know how big they can be when they get well fed and so on. This guys not fat but he's pushing the limits of this thing IMO. Maybe chinese cats are smaller? Skinnier, for sure.

To begin with the cat completely blanked it. It takes up a sizable space so its not like you can't see the damn thing. I have noticed the cat ignores some things. I'm guessing because it was not allowed onto those things by previous owners? Anyway the cat seems more interested in the box than the thing that came in the box.

This morning I chucked him up a couple levels and waved a hanging toy in his face. That seemed to do the trick plus he can suddenly see what I am doing on table tops and benches and such. Makes it much more interesting that sitting on the floor looking up.

Dogman
4th February 2015, 06:24 PM
Cat condo thing is built. Instructions were pretty good but I got confused a couple times screwing the wrong thing into another wrong thing. But anyway its up and it appears to match the product picture so thats a good sign.

I would like it to be a bit more stable. I think the base is a bit small for the height. We can do something there I'm sure. I also think the thing is as bit small for a grown cat. I guess chinese don't keep cats as pets so they probably don't know how big they can be when they get well fed and so on. This guys not fat but he's pushing the limits of this thing IMO. Maybe chinese cats are smaller? Skinnier, for sure.

To begin with the cat completely blanked it. It takes up a sizable space so its not like you can't see the damn thing. I have noticed the cat ignores some things. I'm guessing because it was not allowed onto those things by previous owners? Anyway the cat seems more interested in the box than the thing that came in the box.

This morning I chucked him up a couple levels and waved a hanging toy in his face. That seemed to do the trick plus he can suddenly see what I am doing on table tops and benches and such. Makes it much more interesting that sitting on the floor looking up. Boxes and paper sacks can be a hoot with a kat.

Glass
4th February 2015, 06:28 PM
Boxes and paper sacks can be a hoot with a kat.

they can. I have a couple of boxes I set up with some holes cut in and so on but not interested so far. This other box has some kind of smell in it. Maybe its catnip or something.

I got one of those laser pointer things. Had a bit of fun with that so far. I like to trace it along the wall to a door way. As it gets close to the door way the cat pounces but always the red dot disappears as he leaps around the door. he can't work it out.

Glass
26th February 2015, 06:14 PM
a bit concerned about the cat the last couple days. Seems a bit listless and might be running a fever. Not totally unwell but a bit off colour.

I put a collar on him soon after getting him and he goes the scratch on the collar a couple times a day. Sometimes I think it's done to make a point..... don't like the collar. Its a cool surfie collar with a number plate on it (phone). I've noticed in the past week he is flicking his head from side to side as if something is in his ear. Not sure which ear.

I'm worried it's mites or even a tick. I've tried to shine a light in there but I can't see anything. Not great eyesight. It could just be the weather as it's been very hot, then not hot but very humid which is as bad and then some more humid. Today its much cooler and overcast, although I think it's going to heat up through the day.

We've have a few play sessions but this morning it was a bit half hearted. Will have to keep an eye on him. I been checking for fleas but the cats mostly black. around the neck is a bit of white. Can't see anything. I expect I should be able to see a flea with the naked eye.

Glass
6th April 2015, 10:31 PM
things seem to have gotten into a rhythm now. cat eats, cat sleeps, cat goes outside, inside, outside in, out, no in. He's a funny bugger though. When he wants to sit with me, its got to be right up hard against my leg or something. I've woken from hops naps with him lying on my belly with arms paws either side of my face watching me from about as close as you can get without touching. Licking, another thing I get at 4 in the morning.

a few days ago we discovered the string game. Now the string game is without doubt the bestest most funnest game there is. Nothing compares to the string game. The best bit is running after the string and sliding across the floor and crash tackling it on the mat which also slides into a big tumble. Best game ever.

We have also learned that if we scratch the door the human servant gets up so even if we don't want to go outside, the human will get up when we scratch the door. This must work for food and for games and especially the string game. The string is on the table. Up there. there is it, doh you walked past it. No there it is. He found it. Yay!

It was raining last night and I warned him I was going to hit the sack when he wanted to go out. I think I got a good solid 10 minute talking to this morning. Wet and cold, we were not impressed. not one bit. oh and feed me for crying out loud.

Ever notice that cats suddenly get very heavy when they are sleeping in the spot where you want to sit down? heavy and limp. So far I'm confident he's a genuine cat.

Dogman
7th April 2015, 05:33 AM
Speaking of the in and out thing. Shortly after this house was built in the 60's I found a stray kitten that I named boy cat. He was smart and grew into a huge orange and white semi longhair that got fixed quick. That cat and my grandfather developed a bond that I have never seen since in any cat that has lived here since.

That cat had my grandad trained big time! When outside ether in the backyard or front and wanted in he would ether jump up on the widow in front and stretch up and claw the window screen or if the front door was open the cat would do the same with the storm door screen crying his heart out, or at the sliding door in the back doing the same.

I wish I had a quarter for every time that cat would go to ether door and want in or out and my grandad would let the cat in or out on demand.

But I would make more money if I got a nickle for every time the cat was outside and wanted in and grandad would let the cat in and the cat would make a bee line to the other door wanting out again. Front to back or back to front did not matter if all the cat needed to do was to walk around the house, through the house was the shortest rout and by god that was the path the cat wanted to take. Many a time the cat would pull this act and let just enough time for grandad to go and sit down and then here we go again! ;) Cat would want back in again and out through the other door!

Wash and repeat!

That cat could do no wrong in my grandfathers eyes , they were buds, no matter what he was doing the cat was always there to help him out!

Several cats that have live here since have been given the name 'Boy Cat' in honor of that cat, he was one of a kind!

Dogman
24th June 2015, 12:32 PM
OK Glass !

Saw you made a refrence to your cat in a recent thread !

Report !

From your post this week, seems like the two of you have settled in !

Glass
24th June 2015, 08:11 PM
The Cat is doing well. He's looking a bit well fed now. Kind of bulges in the middle. It's cold here and the house I live in is even colder if thats possible. So it's not much fun for the guy home alone all day. He has a few places to sleep but nothing that he can bury himself in. I worry he gets cold but cats run pretty warm anyways.

Features discovered so far:
eating. Cat can eat. Likes to eat but is getting fussy. Fussy = expensive.
Doesn't like my cooking, of the food I made up for him. Need to ditch it and try again. Too much rice. Once cooked ended up being about half the bulk. So my mistake there.
2 types of purr. Regular purr. WRX purr. WRX purr is the full subaru complete with turbo waste gate noises. I have a hard time not to chuckle when he gets going.
Chin scratching. Likes the chin scratch. Lays back and cranks up the turbo purr.
If he is lying or sitting near you, it will be touching. Got to have close contact for some reason. Other times he's happy to be left alone.
Since the cold set in he likes to climb on me and settle in for a pat and a purr.... then he starts to spread out. on the back, legs everywhere.
Still very skittish. I think will always be this way as he was a street cat for a while. Any big noise like a truck or construction work nearby.
He chases a lot of things in his dreams. Legs kicking and general twitching in his dreams
Snores. Some times loudly. Kept me up last night for a while.
Likes going outside after dark for a prowl but the cold means short stints atm.
I think he's pretty happy. Gets bored though and I need to come up with some stuff to occupy him more.

Glass
6th September 2015, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1Q9qesoj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1Q9qesoj4
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1Q9qesoj4)
While the video IS safe for work, I didn't realise what the guys channel name meant until just now. Excuse me. His channel name is NSFW.

Glass
5th October 2015, 05:06 AM
Troubles tonight. Tiny baby bird. It's been windy, so I'm going to assume this one was blown out of it's nest. I could hear odd squeaking and looked out side. Saw an adult bird frantically swooping. Cats got the bird. It is so tiny. Was right on dusk so I can't do anything until tomorrow. I was holding it for a while and that calmed it down. I've put it in a box with some padding but it doesn't stay settled. Put it in a quieter area for now to see if that gets it to sleep. It's a fighter though so I hope it make it through the night. Going to be quite cold tonight.

Not sure how I am going to get this thing back in the tree. Not even sure where and which tree. got a few to choose from. Where the birds nest won't take much more weight than a few kgs. I might have to wire up a bird box in the tree as close as I can get to the nest. See if they can pick up on it. Its probably got maybe 3 or 4 weeks more before it will be able to fly.

the cat doesn't know it's in the house. shhhhh

Glass
5th October 2015, 06:42 PM
The little guy made it though the night. I made sure it was warm enough and quiet. I spent sometime this morning up the ladder trying to see a nest for this one. I could not find one in the tree I thought it was in.

There was an adult bird, which I think was Ma or Pa that came around a few times with some food and was clearly looking for the little one. I tried to show it in the box I had but they couldn't work it out. I was hoping they would see and feed it something.

Anyway looking around a bit more I found a nest with yet another little bird hanging out the bottom of it. So I think the bottom of the next gave way and the both fell out. The bigger one is either hanging on with its feet or is't got caught by something. I can see it trying to climb back in the nest but it has no chance. I doubt it will be able to hang on much longer. It looks almost old enough to fly. Maybe only a week or so more. I hope it can make it.

The other one I took to an animal sanctuary. At least they know how to feed them. They said it has a good chance.

Glass
6th October 2015, 03:55 AM
sad news is the other little guy passed away. Seems he was caught around his neck and couldn't break free. He's still up there swinging in the wind. They have abandoned the tree now. very sad to see this afternoon when I got home. I wanted to do something but short of getting a cherry picker I don't know.

monty
6th October 2015, 07:45 AM
sad news is the other little guy passed away. Seems he was caught around his neck and couldn't break free. He's still up there swinging in the wind. They have abandoned the tree now. very sad to see this afternoon when I got home. I wanted to do something but short of getting a cherry picker I don't know.

We feel sad and obligated to come to the aid of wild creatures. Really we should not interfere with nature. Man's interference upsets the natural balance.

Glass
9th January 2016, 10:12 PM
been some amount of time passed. everyone seems content. one of us gets a little bored from time to time but it's still all good. We've had a few adventures like getting stuck in the neighbors yard where it is completely impossible to jump back over the fence... unless the next doors dog shows up, then magically we can levitate 6 feet straight up. Amazing. but the trolling is the funniest bit. I get trolled a couple times a week I reckon now. rattle the door to come in and then hide around the corner. Let him out one door to have him come back in through another door...... and pretend as if we were never out side... me? No I been here all the time. you must be going crazy.....but can you let me out please..... seeing as your not doing anything.

There is also the race to get the "good" chair. Dont get up expecting the chair will be empty when you come back. Oh no. you weren't using it. You lose it.

Also we do a not of snoring and chasing things in our sleep. Can be hillarious but sometimes I think the dreams get a bit scary.

I have some extended family who looked after the little guy for a few days while I was away last year. You cannot imagine how excting it was for the little people to feed "the cat" and play and so on. Now everyone wants a pet cat. Anyway the little people have been waiting a few months now. Learing about responsibility of owning a pet, feeding, litter and so on. Still excited everytime they see "the cat". So thats good, but to be realistic Mum and Dad will probably be the ones to do most of the looking after. Once the novelty is worn off.

Glass
14th January 2016, 10:15 PM
This gave me a few laughs. I'll have to grab one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU13ByIYkew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU13ByIYkew

I found my guy jammed between the back of the lounge and wall, on his back, legs out everywhere, snoring his head off. Funny sight. I woken up a few times to find him stuck between my arms and torso or lying between my legs, flat out on his back, doing the same thing, snoring away.

Glass
4th April 2016, 03:33 AM
things have been going ok. usual stuff but all in all everyone has been happy. Not pleased about fleas though. I dislike those liquid treatments but it seems they work better than collars and dusts.

The problem is I think they are nasty and it seems I am right. I paid a small fortune for a 3 month program which I got to the point I didn't want to put it on. One of them I washed of because it was clearly burning the cats skin. Also they all had heart worm treatments and I don't think that should be repeated every month. So that one only comes as a flea/heartworm combo.

What does happen though is it clearly makes the animal very sick. Puking seems to be a regular problem. Sure you're gonna get the furballs but these are not furball pukes.

Tried a different brand. Procrastinated for a few weeks but eventually there is obvious discomfort even if no major scratching. Skin crawling and so on. SO put that on. within 12 hours we are puking again.

This time would have been ok like last times, no big deal, just clean up. However, sitting at the door and not able to go very far my work shoes seemed like the best place to have a yak, then a few other places. So interesting times. I'm sure the shoes thought so as well. This morning was mixed, dribbling nose and out of sorts but picked up a bit after some playing.

At the moment we are still sleeping but I am very concerned. I have not found any positive reviews about any of these treatments and many many people who's animals have died. Some horribly. Whats going on?

We also have a problem with mites and the only solution to that is a Vet visit. I think it runs about $400 for a vet visit here. Also there are other issues with going there.