PDA

View Full Version : 1500' TV Tower Worker filmed by a Drone

old steel
5th January 2015, 11:10 PM
Watch on full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BgzIZRfT8

Neuro
6th January 2015, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't like to climb up there on a windy day... In fact I wouldn't like to climb up there at all!

crimethink
6th January 2015, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't like to climb up there on a windy day... In fact I wouldn't like to climb up there at all!

Only a special breed is willing to do that, and most of them enjoy it.

palani
6th January 2015, 04:06 AM
I would hope they had the transmitter turned off when he climbed by those antennas.

Dogman
6th January 2015, 04:22 AM
Been up on a couple of high towers, tallest was 1300' and the other 900' the rest were 500' and below. Installing and then maintaining antennas for ham radio vhf and uhf repeaters. It was always a combination of fun and exhausting work with a dash of being terrified at first getting used to the towers swaying in the wind. The 1300' tower did have an elevator that went up most of the way.

That was all back in my younger and dumber days.

;)

Towers lease out space on them and when climbing them not all antennas are dead/non transmitting knowing which ones that are " R.F Hot" was a must, especially T.V with thousands of watts being pumped out of them.

Edit: At 1500' the guy at the the top could see almost 50 miles around him on a very clear day to the horizon. At ground level at 6 foot high the horizon is about 3 miles away on flat ground or on water.

palani
6th January 2015, 04:31 AM
Been up on a couple of high towers, tallest was 1300' and the other 900' the rest were 500' and below.

A friend happened to be a Coast Guard civil engineer. He tells the tale of putting up a 2,000 foot Loran tower in Greenland. It had an elevator and I guess these elevators have some from of failsafe braking mechanism should they decide to come crashing down. The one he was on failed and his story involves removing his shoe while plummeting down to beat on the failsafe brake. Seems ice in Greenland will make these things 'sticky'.

Twisted Titan
6th January 2015, 04:36 AM
There is no way i would do that work unless i was able to BASE jump and kept that rig on me at all times.

Dogman
6th January 2015, 04:38 AM
A friend happened to be a Coast Guard civil engineer. He tells the tale of putting up a 2,000 foot Loran tower in Greenland. It had an elevator and I guess these elevators have some from of failsafe braking mechanism should they decide to come crashing down. The one he was on failed and his story involves removing his shoe while plummeting down to beat on the failsafe brake. Seems ice in Greenland will make these things 'sticky'.Ice and towers do not mix. There are a few here that I had to carry out a generator during power failures to keep our repeater running then beating on the guy wires to get rid of the ice buildup on them. Beautiful to watch falling shards in sunlight, dodging chunks as they fell and hit the ground.