PDA

View Full Version : Former cop sues Kentucky hunting store after accidentally shooting off his own finger

Cebu_4_2
13th January 2015, 02:31 PM
Hahaha, video at link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/13/former-cop-sues-kentucky-hunting-store-after-accidentally-shooting-off-his-own-finger/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

Former cop sues Kentucky hunting store after accidentally shooting off his own finger

Security camera footage of a Kentucky police officer accidentally shooting his finger off with a loaded handgun in March. The officer has filed a lawsuit against the store, claiming that the clerk failed to conduct the appropriate safety check (The Washington Post)

A former police officer has filed suit against a hunting and fishing store in Kentucky after shooting off his own finger when an employee gave him a loaded gun.
“He’s had multiple surgeries, thousands of dollars in medical expenses,” Smith’s attorney, B. Alan Simpson, told The Post in a phone interview Tuesday.

The accident at Barren Outdoors happened on March 26, when Darrell Smith asked to see a .380-caliber handgun, according to court documents. Simpson said Smith was merely curious about the gun and wanted to take a look.

“He was not necessarily going in to buy a specific gun or something like that,” Simpson said. “He just happened to be browsing through the cases and this particular gun caught his eye.”

The bullet passed through two fingers, and doctors couldn’t save Smith’s left index finger, Simpson said.

You can watch security footage from store here (http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/VIDEO-Former-GPD-Officer-Sues-Gunstore-After--288172101.html), and while it’s not gory or anything, I will remind you that it is a video of a person getting his finger shot off.
“Under no circumstances should they have had a loaded weapon in a display case to start with,” Simpson said. “The first problem clearly is that whenever this gun was brought into their inventory, they never checked the weapon. And right before they handed it to Mr. Smith, they obviously never checked the weapon a second time.”
Smith, who worked in law enforcement for about 30 years, is now unemployed, Simpson said.

The court documents, filed Friday in Barren Circuit Court, are below.

Attempts to locate an attorney for Barren Outdoors were unsuccessful. The store, which is located in Glasgow, Ky. (https://goo.gl/maps/kq75Z), declined to comment to WBKO, Bowling Green’s ABC affiliate (http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/VIDEO-Former-GPD-Officer-Sues-Gunstore-After--288172101.html).

midnight rambler
13th January 2015, 02:37 PM
I see the issue here: moron receives gun into inventory and places it in display case; (another?) moron takes gun out display case and hands it off to another moron.

It's a case of multiple morons, what could possibly go wrong??

Smith, who worked in law enforcement for about 30 years, is now unemployed

There ya go, this demonstrates the intelligence of the average cop, THIRTY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE (handling guns) and yet he STILL manages to shoot his finger off. What a fucking retard.

Cebu_4_2
13th January 2015, 02:42 PM
Gene pool issue. Unless it was an orchestrated event to sue the store.

Who would even pull the trigger positively knowing a gun was unloaded while holding the barrel?

EE_
13th January 2015, 03:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

Spectrism
13th January 2015, 04:36 PM
Every gun shop I have been to was careful to clear the weapon before giving it to me. The cop should have known better. He charged the action and chambered the round. Dumb mistake. Store's fault? Not really... but they should not have loaded weapons in a display case. That too was dumb.

General of Darkness
13th January 2015, 05:43 PM
You ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS assume a gun is loaded. Heck I'm so anal about it I'll check a gun I just cleaned 2 minutes ago, but you can't fix stupid.

Hitch
13th January 2015, 09:19 PM
Every gun shop I have been to was careful to clear the weapon before giving it to me. The cop should have known better. He charged the action and chambered the round. Dumb mistake. Store's fault? Not really... but they should not have loaded weapons in a display case. That too was dumb.

There shouldn't have been a mag in that gun, failure on both parts, the cop and the store.

Losing a finger has to suck, but thankfully those other customers he was point the gun at didn't get hit. Every gun shop I've been too, did NOT have mags in the gun in the display case.

Wondering why the cop is unemployed now, he didn't lose his trigger finger. He's clearly right handed. You can lose a finger and still function.

Glass
13th January 2015, 11:39 PM
yes rack it down range every time you pick it, just in case you did something and forgot the last time you handled the firearm.

I like this about the range I go to. You have a 2 step 2 person check before packing your firearm for transporting. I remove the mag, clear the gun and check, then call a range marshall who verifies the gun and the mags are clear as well.

Sorry for the guy to lose a finger. Could have been much worse.

Cebu_4_2
14th January 2015, 07:04 AM
Wondering why the cop is unemployed now, he didn't lose his trigger finger. He's clearly right handed. You can lose a finger and still function.

The first to pick up that part, he chose to be unemployed thus this lawsuit. Inside job is my assumption from the start.

mick silver
14th January 2015, 07:21 AM
the shop I go to the guy open the slide and places one of they thought the gun slide ... http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17463.jpg

Dogman
14th January 2015, 07:30 AM
Stupid is what stupid does.

Whole chain of idiots contributed.

madfranks
14th January 2015, 08:02 AM
“The first problem clearly is that whenever this gun was brought into their inventory, they never checked the weapon. And right before they handed it to Mr. Smith, they obviously never checked the weapon a second time.”
Smith, who worked in law enforcement for about 30 years, is now unemployed, Simpson said.

Clearly, the cop was handed a gun, and obviously, he didn't know if it was loaded or not, but HE failed to check it, so who's fault is it?

Any time anyone hands me a pistol, I check it. Like GoD, every damn time.

Hitch
14th January 2015, 10:54 AM
Any time anyone hands me a pistol, I check it. Like GoD, every damn time.

I couldn't tell from the video, but I also wonder if he pulled the trigger as well. The cop broke a lot of the rules of firearm safety.

1) Do not point the gun at anything you do not want to destroy (a finger perhaps)

2) Know your target and whats beyond it (your finger, and those customers behind it)

3) Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

4) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

The cop broke all those rules.