PDA

View Full Version : Not just silver bullion... this is silver art

madfranks
19th January 2015, 04:45 PM
This is taking silver bullion to an art form:

http://www.dc-coin.com/2001apolloastronautlargebronzemodelproof-1-2-1-1-1-2-4-1.aspx

http://www.dc-coin.com/images/products/detail/cob_1715_2.jpg

1715 Fleet 300th Anniversary commemorative cobs, color-toned finish, set of six - one each from die pairs A, B, C, D, E, F.

Struck on hand-poured 999 silver cobs which contain trace amounts of Atocha and 1715 Fleet recovery silver. Approximately 28 grams each. Shapes and surface finishes vary.
Housed in non-PVC "flip" holders with Moonlight Mint certificates.

At $500 per 6-coin set, this is expensive, but hey it's art right?

madfranks
19th January 2015, 04:47 PM
I wish I knew his toning secrets. I've tried learning how to artificially tone silver coins, but I'm not nearly as good as this. My attempts are brutish compared to this.

Neuro
19th January 2015, 05:49 PM
I wish I knew his toning secrets. I've tried learning how to artificially tone silver coins, but I'm not nearly as good as this. My attempts are brutish compared to this.
Don't you just heat them up with a blowtorch?

madfranks
19th January 2015, 06:07 PM
Don't you just heat them up with a blowtorch?

No, if you do that you get dark gray/black char on the face of the coin. To get the gentle colors you need a mild chemical wash, but the formula eludes me. I've tried many different things, the closest I got is a diluted liver of sulfer mixture with baby alcohol. Coat the liquid to the face of the coin, ignite with a match and it turns a deep blue color. I haven't figured out how to get mild color tones like the guy who makes these.

palani
19th January 2015, 06:10 PM
I wish I knew his toning secrets.
Set them up on an edge in a casserole dish with a freshly boiled egg and cover with cellophane.

madfranks
19th January 2015, 06:52 PM
Set them up on an edge in a casserole dish with a freshly boiled egg and cover with cellophane.

I've done that too, and it does tone the coin, but harshly and it's obvious it's a fake toning. Somehow this guy does it really gently, and notice how the edges of the cobs are not toned, just the faces. This makes me think he's using some sort of face application, but what I don't know.

I actually saw this guy at one of the big Denver coin shows, and I asked him how he toned his coins so well, and all he did was smile at me, ha ha.

Goldex
10th February 2015, 02:32 AM
Wow. That's nice! Thanks for sharing.

Goldex
10th February 2015, 02:52 AM
How many of these do you have in stock?