PDA

View Full Version : I found an honest mechanic

Hitch
10th April 2015, 01:19 PM
Well, this good news made my day. I usually do my own basic maintenance, but called a mechanic to schedule a 50,000 mile check up. He is very well reviewed. After talking with the guy over the phone, he seems to think nothing needs to be done since everything is running great on the vehicle. Instead of selling me service like he could have, he was honest.

I'll be going to that guy if I have any mechanical issues going forward, for sure.

So, the money I had budgeted for this service, I was able to order a couple of solar panels. Sweet!

What a great day. Life is good my friends.

Neuro
10th April 2015, 01:58 PM
Nah! Your car sounds fine to me Hick. No need to come by today Hickch...
http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/925342_332023336922801_848873182_a.jpg

ximmy
10th April 2015, 02:16 PM
IT'S USUALLY something like this?... first minute of viddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2STH60AEn4

Hitch
10th April 2015, 02:17 PM
Hey get out of my good news thread! ;D No bad news allowed here. :)

Glass
10th April 2015, 02:37 PM
did he say anything about muffler bearings?

Hitch
10th April 2015, 02:44 PM
did he say anything about muffler bearings?

:) If he would have, I would have told him I already replaced them and then found another mechanic.

I thought I would at least have to change out the transmission fluid, but he said my make/model was good until 100,000 miles. This place is a big shop, they sell and rent RV's as well, and gets outstanding reviews all over the internet.

osoab
10th April 2015, 05:39 PM
He's expecting something major to break soon and is expecting a big pay day.:D

Hitch
10th April 2015, 06:23 PM
This thread is bad luck.

Neuro
11th April 2015, 12:22 AM
This thread is bad luck.
You asked for it. :)

Hitch
14th April 2015, 10:22 PM
You asked for it. :)

Well, I got the bad luck. Broke down this evening, transmission fluid dumped out. Worse, I'm in the ghetto. Damn roadside assistance towed me to a shop 2 blocks from the projects. The predators were giving me the evil eye from the tow vehicle as we went by. Thankfully I have guns.

The tow driver cracked me up. As he was winching up the RV, I asked him, "say, what's the tonnage on that there winch you've got?" (It looked a bit small, and I work with wire winches....)

He said "11". My RV weighs 5.5 tons, so I think I'm good. After he winches it up, I comment how well that winch did. He says "yup 11,000 pound winch does good."

My 5.5 "ton" RV just maxed out that dudes winch.

I doubt I'll sleep well tonight. I'm glad I'm armed. This place is a pit.

Glass
14th April 2015, 10:36 PM
yes I would not get much sleep tonight if I were you. be safe.

Hitch
14th April 2015, 10:48 PM
yes I would not get much sleep tonight if I were you. be safe.

Maybe safe-ish is the best word. A white guy broken down in an all black ghetto, what could go wrong?

I just have this "how the fuck I ended up here" feeling.

Neuro
14th April 2015, 11:10 PM
I'll send you some unicorn luck! Be well Hick!

Hitch
14th April 2015, 11:14 PM
I'll send you some unicorn luck! Be well Hick!

Thanks Neuro, I will be well. Don't worry about me. This is why we prepare.

Neuro
14th April 2015, 11:38 PM
Be sure to look under RV for pipebombs before taking off...

Camp Bassfish
15th April 2015, 04:39 AM
Maybe safe-ish is the best word. A white guy broken down in an all black ghetto, what could go wrong?

I just have this "how the fuck I ended up here" feeling.

Not for nothing Hitch, but WTF were you doing in an area like that with your RV to begin with?? Hope all turns out well.

osoab
15th April 2015, 04:40 AM
Be sure to look under RV for pipebombs before taking off...

Pipe Bombs?

I would be making sure I still had all four tires and the exhaust system.

Jewboo
15th April 2015, 07:00 AM
Broke down this evening... Worse, I'm in the ghetto. Damn roadside assistance towed me to a shop 2 blocks from the projects. The predators were giving me the evil eye from the tow vehicle as we went by. Thankfully I have guns.

So do they.

:)

Shami-Amourae
15th April 2015, 07:37 AM
Well, I got the bad luck. Broke down this evening, transmission fluid dumped out. Worse, I'm in the ghetto. Damn roadside assistance towed me to a shop 2 blocks from the projects. The predators were giving me the evil eye from the tow vehicle as we went by. Thankfully I have guns.

Do you actually have one of the mythical California CCW permits?

Neuro
15th April 2015, 01:24 PM
Are you ok?

Dogman
15th April 2015, 01:48 PM
Are you ok?

Yea!

One thing I have noticed in my life is to NEVER brag or phrase about anything that I own or use. As soon as I get a warm fuzzy and proud feeling about something and brag about it, that is almost guaranteed to be the time that the items shit on me!

Cars or engines for example in the past would blow or crap out almost as soon as I start saying or thinking they are running fantastic!

Has happened many times in the past and have learned my lessons! Seems like about the time I think things are great, that is the time something craps out, wash and repeat!

Hitch, maybe your Id or subconscious knew or suspected what your conscious mind did not register?

So you posted this thread!

EE_
15th April 2015, 02:38 PM
Yea!

One thing I have noticed in my life is to NEVER brag or phrase about anything that I own or use. As soon as I get a warm fuzzy and proud feeling about something and brag about it, that is almost guaranteed to be the time that the items shit on me!

Cars or engines for example in the past would blow or crap out almost as soon as I start saying or thinking they are running fantastic!

Has happened many times in the past and have learned my lessons! Seems like about the time I think things are great, that is the time something craps out, wash and repeat!

Hitch, maybe your Id or subconscious knew or suspected what your conscious mind did not register?

So you posted this thread!

Should have at least knocked on wood...

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52540ba1e4b0d49865bee7ea/t/547fe4e1e4b04535289e921d/1417667811917/09-wd1109-Superstitions-2.jpg

Hope hitch got home from the hood okay

Hitch
15th April 2015, 03:44 PM
I am fine, except for a blown transmission. Yup Dogman, lessons learned from this setback, indeed.

Dogman
15th April 2015, 03:50 PM
I am fine, except for a blown transmission. Yup Dogman, lessons learned from this setback, indeed.

Its a way of life for true doom and gloomers. Always expect things to go to hell, so when they do not , things are great, but never never think they are, always expect life is just lulling you for the kill/shtf !

Never take anything for granted and life can be good......Maybe, one just have to dodge the gremlins! ;)

Gremlins never sleep and are always planning and plotting against us!

;)

Neuro
15th April 2015, 03:55 PM
How much did it set you back? What's the estimate? I'm relieved you are fine though... Possibly having had it serviced may have not prevented this anyway?

Hitch
15th April 2015, 04:15 PM
How much did it set you back? What's the estimate? I'm relieved you are fine though... Possibly having had it serviced may have not prevented this anyway?

Rv transmissions are not cheap. I knew it was blown just watching them trying to move and work on the vehicle. Going to set me back around $4000. New one will have a 3 year warranty. Mechanic is going to throw in an an extra cooler he has with him, and also free servicing during the warranty period.

Neuro
15th April 2015, 04:20 PM
Rv transmissions are not cheap. I knew it was blown just watching them trying to move and work on the vehicle. Going to set me back around $4000. New one will have a 3 year warranty. Mechanic is going to throw in an an extra cooler he has with him, and also free servicing during the warranty period.
It shouldn't happen after only 50,000 miles, and missing a service with just a few days!

Hitch
15th April 2015, 04:33 PM
It shouldn't happen after only 50,000 miles, and missing a service with just a few days!

Seems, hate to say it, but like a fluke random thing. A hose completely bursted and all the fluid drained out. Almost the whole rv underneath was coated with fluid, even the front bumper. Still, only 50 k on it. 20 years old though.

Hitch
15th April 2015, 04:34 PM
Dup post..

osoab
15th April 2015, 05:13 PM

Glad you made it through the night solid.

Which mechanic has it?

Cebu_4_2
20th April 2015, 10:22 AM
Loosing the fluid will not ruin a trans unless it was slipping for an extended amount of time.

Where are you Pete? 'll have to run your name through news sites and hope I don't find it.

Neuro
20th April 2015, 01:13 PM
Loosing the fluid will not ruin a trans unless it was slipping for an extended amount of time.

Where are you Pete? 'll have to run your name through news sites and hope I don't find it.
Maybe out working to pay for the new trans...

Dogman
20th April 2015, 01:27 PM
Maybe out working to pay for the new trans... Not unusual for him to work insane 80 hour shifts.

Neuro
20th April 2015, 02:32 PM
Not unusual for him to work insane 80 hour shifts.
That's what I was thinking...

Hitch
21st April 2015, 02:04 PM
Not unusual for him to work insane 80 hour shifts.

Yes, been working so very long days. I am fine though, appreciate the concerns. I have been staying with family and hope to get the RV back later today, or tomorrow.

Dogman
21st April 2015, 02:08 PM
Yes, been working so very long days. I am fine though, appreciate the concerns. I have been staying with family and hope to get the RV back later today, or tomorrow.

Not a problem, glad you are getting your home away from home back!

Besides I imagine the air is fresher when on the job, than on the forum, depending on the way the wind blows! ;)

Grin!

Hitch
22nd April 2015, 08:21 PM
Not a problem, glad you are getting your home away from home back!

She's back, and I'm glad to be home. This whole thing made me realize how much I like this little RV. The adventures we've had together, now we can have plenty more.

She's running better than when I bought her now. I have more power, runs quieter, shifts super smooth. The guy ran through the repairs, all metal cased hoses so no chaffing issues, new tranny, new extra cooler. The worksmanship is outstanding. The guy found the rear diff low, replaced all the fluids for free. Lubed the whole chassis, and even got the yellow out of the headlights no extra charge.

Runs like brand new.

My recommendation to anyone buying an older RV. Haggle the price down to include a brand new transmission. I thought the old one was fine, but it always shifted rough I now realize. It would clunk going from park into drive, now it shifts smooth. I just thought that was old truck acting normally...it shifted fine and with balls, but nothing like she does now.

Hindsight, but that's what I'd recommend. Get an extra cooler too, overheating is the big killer of transmissions in these bigger vehicles.

Hitch
22nd April 2015, 08:29 PM
Do you actually have one of the mythical California CCW permits?

No. I never answered this question. To remain lawful, guns need to be locked in their cases while driving the RV, ammo separated. However, while parked for the night, the RV becomes a home, not a car, and the same gun laws apply as they do inside homes in CA. Which is, whatever you want to do, loaded and ready to go.

In questionable areas at night, that's what I do. Loaded, in my pocket or an arms reach away while sleeping. Thankfully, you can remain lawful and ready to protect yourself, for now, in CA.

Glass
22nd April 2015, 09:09 PM
No. I never answered this question. To remain lawful, guns need to be locked in their cases while driving the RV, ammo separated. However, while parked for the night, the RV becomes a home, not a car, and the same gun laws apply as they do inside homes in CA. Which is, whatever you want to do, loaded and ready to go.

In questionable areas at night, that's what I do. Loaded, in my pocket or an arms reach away while sleeping. Thankfully, you can remain lawful and ready to protect yourself, for now, in CA.

Are you allowed to keep your ammo in the magazines when in "Storage" mode? We can do the above down here as well, however ammo cannot be stored in the magazines.

Hitch
22nd April 2015, 10:13 PM
Are you allowed to keep your ammo in the magazines when in "Storage" mode? We can do the above down here as well, however ammo cannot be stored in the magazines.

Ammo can not be stored in mags here either, to my knowledge.

Quite honestly, splitting hairs doesn't concern me. Legally, I was able to use my firearm to to protect my person. I didn't need to fire a shot, but legally, I was able to protect myself if needed.

Glass
22nd April 2015, 10:22 PM
Ammo can not be stored in mags here either, to my knowledge.

Quite honestly, splitting hairs doesn't concern me. Legally, I was able to use my firearm to to protect my person. I didn't need to fire a shot, but legally, I was able to protect myself if needed.

yeah, I agree. worry about that kind of problem later, if it ever becomes one.