PDA

View Full Version : Baby Monitor to play Internet radio in another room of house ? Help Please

Dachsie
7th May 2015, 06:16 AM
I bought Walmart's cheapest baby monitor and used AC adapter for both ends so did not run it on batteries.

I wanted to transmit Internet audio to be heard while I work in the kitchen which is about 75 feet away from computer.

I had the background-noise suppressor on and turned off AC noise and closed Boomer's doggy door to suppress outside noises

but still was too much static and interference and could only hear phrases but not sufficient for listening to radio shows in the kitchen.

Would my problem be solved by buying a higher quality baby audio monitor that perhaps would be better at holding down background noise / interference?

Hitch
7th May 2015, 09:48 AM
Dachsie, I bought one of these Jam wireless speakers and have been happy with it. Sound is actually pretty decent, but not great.

It has a usb rechargeable battery, use bluetooth so it works with phone and laptop, and fits in a container about the size of a peanut butter jar.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker-HX-P230BK/dp/B00K2U3456/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431017187&sr=1-1&keywords=jam+wireless+speaker

Dachsie
7th May 2015, 10:01 AM
Thank you for your reply. I looked at the Amazon listing and do not think that is what I need.

I just want to set a little microphone next to my computer speakers with the computer radio show on. Then I want to AC powered wireless speaker next to my kitchen sink while do dishes. Need at least 75 feet. The baby monitor I bought said a hundred feet but too much static.

The phone repair man suggested a baby monitor for the application I wanted, but guess I need to buy a much higher quality baby audio monitor.

I am not smart about electronics things and have a regular desktop computer with a jillion cables in my bedroom. That is all I have. Have uverse "wireless" in my house but no smart phone or other smart device than that desktop.

Glass
7th May 2015, 10:25 AM
Hitch's suggestion is a good one. Not sure if the range is enough for either option though. The wireless speaker uses bluetooth.

Bluetooth ability needed on your computer. PC may not have bluetooth. Laptop will have but then it would be in kitchen with you and maybe some plug in speakers. You can get bluetooth audio/music transmitter. You plug into audio socket on PC. Single purpose. Some have longer range which might also help. Or a general Bluetooth transmitter.

This gives the bluetooth speakers something to connect to. Still subject to distance apart, what is in between and how thick is it, how much range/power the bluetooth on the PC has.

Do you have a TV in the kitchen and WiFi? IF so an android tv box might work. Is basically a WiFi media streamer (audio and video), from internet or from local sources. It would stream direct from internet and not from PC. Needs a tv for screen. Audio through tv speakers or speakers plugged in or maybe even bluetooth. A bit more complicated, might have better range. Probably more cost.

Glass
7th May 2015, 10:34 AM
the baby monitor is basically a cheap walkie talkie. If it uses VOX for transmitting in that it is triggered by sound at one end, then there is going to be some issues. Unless the sound is very strong the transmitter will stop and start transmitting as the local sound drops below a certain level. Below that level there will be a cut out in transmissions. If the listening end is set with a lower detection level it will transmit more audio but this might be more crackling and so on.

On the listening side, if you set the sensitivity level, you are setting what power of signals the reciever will pick up from transmitter. It won't affect clarity of what is transmitted. It will simply cut out other weaker transmissions and much of the natural background static in the radio spectrum. It is called selectivity - receive only strongest signals, where as for the monitor end it's called sensitivity - listen as best as you can.

Dachsie
7th May 2015, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your reply and info.

I have only one tv in the living room. It plays VHS videos and I keep it there surrounded by many video casettes for some children I babysit now and then. I gave away my other tvs as I do not watch it all anymore and do not have uverse tv or cable subscription. I do have one of those 19.95 tv antennas on top of my tv that the mother of the kids put in here so I do get a few non cable tv channels well.

Have uverse / wifi throughout house but only pay for uverse service for phones and computer.

I really only want audio in kitchen and don't want to buy any new expensive electronics. I maybe could go to a place here called Discount Electronics and see what they can do for me. The two rooms are at least 75 feet apart, maybe a little more. Large open room in between with high ceilings and doors to two rooms are open.