PDA

View Full Version : If you think you're about to be robbed...

EE_
8th May 2015, 02:08 AM
Don't think, act quickly to shoot the robber in the face!

Civil forfeiture: You can't make this stuff up
Jeff Shipley, j.j.shipley@gmail.com 8:41 p.m. CDT May 5, 2015

"You're just making this stuff up."

So responded Iowa State Rep. Clel Baudler, chairman of the Public Safety Committee and member of the Government Oversight Committee.

In April, I had traveled to Des Moines to testify regarding civil asset forfeiture. Baudler's reaction to a law-abiding citizen attempting to state facts and express concerns speaks volumes on the growing rift between citizens and law enforcement.

No, Representative Baudler, I was not making anything up, not even exaggerating. The facts speak for themselves. The only mistake I made was anticipating (hoping) that our elected representatives would be familiar with this important issue.

For example, on April 15, 2013, on westbound Interstate 80, Bart Davis and John Newmerzhycky were stopped by Iowa State Patrol for failure to signal. Dash-camera footage clearly shows the vehicle using its signal, meaning this traffic stop had no basis and was illegal. But what happens next is what is really egregious. Rightfully earned poker winnings in the amount of $100,200 were seized due to a nonexistent connection to an unspecified crime. The victims are now suing the state. This incident certainly left an imprint on my mind, but apparently to Baudler, it is just another day for Iowa law enforcement.

In another case, United States v. $32,820.56, federal authorities seized bank deposits of Mrs. Lady's Mexican Food in Spirit Lake, the entirety of Carole Hinder's business account, without charging her. She fought the forfeiture and this year got her money back after a federal prosecutor filed a motion to drop the case. Representative Baudler dismissed the abuse of federal laws as beyond his scope of concern.

I wish I were making this stuff up. Cases like these resemble outright theft rather than a process governed by the rule of law. This makes many citizens paranoid rather than secure whenever they encounter law enforcement. Some people have an outright distrust of police. And it is becoming clear that the vice versa is true, that law enforcement has a tendency to distrust citizens and assume they're lying criminals.

Using cash does not make one a criminal. With identity theft and credit card fraud running rampant, there are more reasons to use cash every day.

The notion that a person is innocent until proven guilty is a bedrock of Western civilization. Yet more and more people are being presumed guilty and forced to prove their innocence. The "seize money and let the courts sort it out" mentality is a perfect example of this.

The tension between citizens and law enforcement is not good for either. It will only heal when federal and state legislators craft laws that protect the rights of the innocent and allow human liberty to flourish.

To accomplish this, Iowa's current forfeiture law needs four reforms. First, a person should be convicted of a crime before assets are seized. Second, forfeited assets should be devoted to the state's general fund to avoid any profit incentive. Third, forfeited assets should be regularly tracked and publicly reported to provide accountability. Forth, equitable sharing between state and federal authorities should be prohibited.

The anger and frustration caused by such unjust policies are literally boiling over into the streets. It would behoove lawmakers to act quickly in passing desperately needed reforms.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/iowa-view/2015/05/05/civil-forfeiture-make-stuff/26956649/

Serpo
8th May 2015, 03:14 AM
Auckland shellfish poacher forfeits $128,000 Audi car
Last updated 19:11, May 8 2015

http://www.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/4/p/g/v/1/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349. 14pgu0.png/1431069116497.jpg Supplied
An Audi Q7, similar to that pictured, was forfeited to the Crown by a shellfish poacher.

An Auckland woman forfeited her $128,000 luxury Audi Q7 car to the Crown after she was caught with a huge haul of more than 1100 cockles and almost 1,000 oysters.
Xiaojuan Wei was gathering shellfish with her mother from an east Auckland beach in June 2014 when Ministry for Primary Industries honorary fishery officers arrived.
A member of the public had called 0800 4POACHER, concerned at excess shellfish being taken.
It was found that Wei had gathered 1,162 cockles and 183 whelks. A further 960 oysters were located in the vehicle.
The daily limit for cockle gatherers is 50. Rock oysters and whelks can make up part of a combined limit of 50 other specified shellfish species per gatherer per day.
Wei appeared in the Manukau District Court on Wednesday, where she pleaded guilty to poaching shellfish.
Judge Charles Blackie rebuked Wei for being greedy, convicted and fined her $1,500, and ordered the forfeiture of her car.
MPI District Compliance Manager Mike Simmons said people who exceeded their daily limits of shellfish could expect to be caught.
"Shellfish form a vital part of the sea environment and the food chain. The depletion of shellfish by gatherers who flout the rules has lasting effects on the sea environment."
- Stuff http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/68372856/auckland-shellfish-poacher-forfeits-128000-audi-car

EE_
8th May 2015, 03:31 AM
Auckland shellfish poacher forfeits $128,000 Audi car
Last updated 19:11, May 8 2015

http://www.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/4/p/g/v/1/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349. 14pgu0.png/1431069116497.jpg Supplied
An Audi Q7, similar to that pictured, was forfeited to the Crown by a shellfish poacher.

An Auckland woman forfeited her $128,000 luxury Audi Q7 car to the Crown after she was caught with a huge haul of more than 1100 cockles and almost 1,000 oysters.
Xiaojuan Wei was gathering shellfish with her mother from an east Auckland beach in June 2014 when Ministry for Primary Industries honorary fishery officers arrived.
A member of the public had called 0800 4POACHER, concerned at excess shellfish being taken.
It was found that Wei had gathered 1,162 cockles and 183 whelks. A further 960 oysters were located in the vehicle.
The daily limit for cockle gatherers is 50. Rock oysters and whelks can make up part of a combined limit of 50 other specified shellfish species per gatherer per day.
Wei appeared in the Manukau District Court on Wednesday, where she pleaded guilty to poaching shellfish.
Judge Charles Blackie rebuked Wei for being greedy, convicted and fined her $1,500, and ordered the forfeiture of her car.
MPI District Compliance Manager Mike Simmons said people who exceeded their daily limits of shellfish could expect to be caught.
"Shellfish form a vital part of the sea environment and the food chain. The depletion of shellfish by gatherers who flout the rules has lasting effects on the sea environment."
- Stuff http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/68372856/auckland-shellfish-poacher-forfeits-128000-audi-car

Did the penalty fit the crime?

Tepco/Fukushima killed the whole Pacific ocean...where's their fine and forfeiture?
Halliburton/BP killed the Gulf...did they pay enough...where is their forfeiture?

Glass
8th May 2015, 03:37 AM

I'm guessing that $1500 was the maximum fine the statute allowed for. The rest is just piracy. I would appeal it. Not sure I'd want a car smelling of seafood. On the other side poaching by some particular people is a big problem here.

We have an abalone season that only lasts a couple of hours per year. You can take something like 20 each total. It is heavily supervised during those hours. Was in response to poaching. Shrimps, crab, ducks, you name it. Gets poached. Its like strip mining. Everything no matter the size gets taken. No regard for long term viability.

EE_
8th May 2015, 03:44 AM
I'm guessing that $1500 was the maximum fine the statute allowed for. The rest is just piracy. I would appeal it. Not sure I'd want a car smelling of seafood. On the other side poaching by some particular people is a big problem here.

We have an abalone season that only lasts a couple of hours per year. You can take something like 20 each total. It is heavily supervised during those hours. Was in response to poaching. Shrimps, crab, ducks, you name it. Gets poached. Its like strip mining. Everything no matter the size gets taken. No regard for long term viability.

No one cares about long term viability, except for the elite and that's only for keeping their wealth and power over others. Everyone else wants it all now.
I'm okay with raping the planet today...in fact, let's do it even quicker!
The problem will fix itself when all the parasites are removed. The planet will survive.
Man no longer deserves to be here.

Serpo
8th May 2015, 03:48 AM
[QUOTE=EE_;772199
Man no longer deserves to be here.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the man...........

EE_
8th May 2015, 04:01 AM
Depends on the man...........

What man?
What men are stopping all the killing in endless wars?
What men are stopping the Jewish destruction of our society and civilization?
What men are acting to stop the violence against our brothers?
What men are stopping the corruption and theft of anything of value?

Show me this truly righteous man?

Serpo
8th May 2015, 04:05 AM
Well Im talking about me, for I am close to nature and nature is close to me , in fact we love each other.

man is more a confused beast of the mind with greed perhaps

I just spent 3 months living in the wilds , nature is very powerful where as man is somewhat confused.

Its gunna be harder to see living in NY as its a big city , which I loath, filled with people in a man made world.

EE_
8th May 2015, 04:11 AM
Well Im talking about me, for I am close to nature and nature is close to me , in fact we love each other.

Sorry Charlie, majority rules when it comes to society and the earth. It is destiny you will be swept away with the rest.

https://nationaldaycalendar.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sorry-charlie_180x.jpg?w=490

Serpo
8th May 2015, 04:15 AM
I am my own majority.............

EE_
8th May 2015, 04:30 AM
I am my own majority.............

This is when you will be a majority...

Serpo - circled in red majority
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/YWhf_ocrNgg/hqdefault.jpg