PDA

View Full Version : Are You Ready For The Coming Debt Revolution?

Ares
15th May 2015, 05:33 PM
There is a specter haunting America… and all the developed nations of the world. It is the specter of a debt revolution.

We left off yesterday talking about how the economy of the last 30 years – and especially that of the last six years – has favored the old over the young.

“Rise up, ye young’uns,” we as much as said, “you have nothing to lose but your parents’ debts.”

We showed how the value of U.S. corporate equity, mainly held by older people, had multiplied by 28 times since 1981.

That was no honest bull market in stocks; it was a market sent soaring by an explosion of credit.

But what did it do for young people whose only assets are their time and their youthful energy?

Alas, the real economy has increased by only five times over the same period.
A Grim and Menacing Specter

And when you look more closely at work and wages, the specter grows grimmer and more menacing. Average hourly wages have barely budged in the last 30 years. And average household incomes have fallen – from $57,000 to $52,000 – in the 21st century.

But as our fingers came to rest yesterday, there was one question hanging in the air, like the smoke from an exploded hand grenade: Why? Was this huge shift – of trillions of dollars of wealth from young working people to old asset holders – an accident?

Was it just the maturing of a market economy in the electronic age? Was it because China took the capitalist road in 1979? Or because robots were competing with young people for jobs?

Nope… on all three counts.

First, old people, not young people, control government. Ultra-wealthy campaign funders like Sheldon Adelman and the Koch brothers were all born in the 1930s. The big money comes from wealthy geezers like these, eager to buy candidates early in the season when they are still relatively cheap. Old companies fund most Washington lobbyists, too. And old people decide elections: There are a lot of them… and they vote. They know where the money is.

Second, the government – doing the bidding of old people – restricts competition, subsidizes well-entrenched industries, raises the cost of employing young people, and directs its bailouts, cheap credit, and contracts to the graybeards.

Third, the credit-based money system increases the profits and prices of existing capital. It encourages borrowing and spending. This rewards the current generation while pushing the costs into the future.

Grandparents Prey on Grandchildren

None of this was an accident. None of it would have happened without the active intervention of the old folks, using the government to get what they could never have gotten honestly.

This is not the same as saying they were completely aware of what they were doing and what consequences their actions would have. We doubt the Nixon administration had any idea what would happen after it tore up the Bretton Woods monetary system in 1971. It was behind the eight ball, fearing foreign governments would call away America’s gold.

Few in the White House realized they had made such a calamitous mistake when the president ended the convertibility of the dollar into gold.

And yet it created a world in which parents and grandparents could prey on their grandchildren… for the next 44 years. And it’s still not over.

The new credit money – which could be borrowed into existence with no need for any savings or gold backing – was just what old people needed.

We have estimated that it increased spending by about $33 trillion over and above what the old, gold-backed system would have allowed. That spending lifted the value of the geezers’ assets and increased their living standards. Meanwhile, the average 25-year-old reporting for work in 2015 can’t expect a single dollar more in real hourly wages than his father did in 1980.

The total value of outstanding U.S. corporate bonds was 17% of GDP in 1981. Now, it’s $11.6 trillion – or 65% of GDP.

What did corporations use that money for?

Some of it went into capital investment that made companies more productive and more profitable. But much of it went where you would expect it to go: to buy back shares… to acquire other companies at inflated prices… and to pay off executives as the value of their share options went up!

Who did this benefit? Mostly people over 50.

Government debt is even worse. Unlike most personal debt, it doesn’t go to the grave with the person who borrowed it. It sticks around to burden the next generation – who got nothing from it.

Federal debt in 1980 was less than $1 trillion. Today, it is $18 trillion. That money was used to fund federal programs – few of which provided any benefit to young people.

An accident? A mistake? Partly. But old people must have known what they were doing.

Their lobbyists asked for the spending. Their politicians voted for it. Their companies enjoyed the revenues. And they pocketed much of the money. When the economy threatened a correction, they demanded more credit on easier terms to keep the money flowing. And when their credit balloon popped in 2008, they whined to the feds to protect their ill-gotten gains.

Honest capitalism? Not if they could prevent it.

Creative destruction? Not on their watch.

Pay for what you get? Not if they could put the bills on the next generation.

Young people of the world, unite!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-15/are-you-ready-coming-debt-revolution

Jewboo
15th May 2015, 06:57 PM
First, old people, not young people, control government.

Second, the government – doing the bidding of old people

Grandparents Prey on Grandchildren

Who did this benefit? Mostly people over 50.

submitted by Bill Bonner via Bonner & Partners (http://bonnerandpartners.com/are-you-ready-for-the-coming-debt-revolution/),

Yet another "Blame your parents...not the jew billionaires" hit piece by Bill Bonner.

:rolleyes: Congress and the FED take orders from your uncle Bob and Aunt Doris

EE_
15th May 2015, 07:25 PM

Message to young people, once you are destitute and with no hope, kill the old people that took it all!

palani
16th May 2015, 04:55 AM
Refreshing. Traditionally when you are young and poor you turn to the Democratic party for your path to riches. Then when you are old and gray and everyone wants a piece of your ass(ets) you turn to the Republican party for protection. This appears to be a call to a third party requesting a return to the rape and pillage era. Read between the lines. The Democrats are now considered part of the old guys network and as much an enemy as any of the other rich clubs.

Heisenberg
16th May 2015, 06:25 AM
submitted by Bill Bonner via Bonner & Partners (http://bonnerandpartners.com/are-you-ready-for-the-coming-debt-revolution/),

Yet another "Blame your parents...not the jew billionaires" hit piece by Bill Bonner.

:rolleyes: Congress and the FED take orders from your uncle Bob and Aunt Dorishey little mexican...its old WHITE people that have all the money;..... blacks do not have money....immigrants just got here...asians distribute the money early...the only older group with significant assets is whites

Silver Rocket Bitches!
16th May 2015, 12:17 PM
Blame the bankers who enable these grandparents. They strung up ropes during the panic of 1899 reserved for the bankers. What goes around comes around.

Alcibiades
16th May 2015, 07:36 PM
The boomers, at the very least, share a significant part of the guilt in the present state of affairs.

That being said, this matter is purely academic. It does not matter who is responsible if there is nothing that can be done about it to begin with, and even then, given that one group of millions royally screwed over my generation as described in the article which I readily agree, there is no way that one could determine precisely which individuals are due to pay which monies to whom. However, something has to be done.

Therefore, I would be OK with some collective justice being administered through legal means, or other means.

Dogman
16th May 2015, 07:50 PM
The boomers, at the very least, share a significant part of the guilt in the present state of affairs.

That being said, this matter is purely academic. It does not matter who is responsible if there is nothing that can be done about it to begin with, and even then, given that one group of millions royally screwed over my generation as described in the article which I readily agree, there is no way that one could determine precisely which individuals are due to pay which monies to whom. However, something has to be done.

Therefore, I would be OK with some collective justice being administered through legal means, or other means. Kewl, so you would be good to have in general grandmas or grandpas, beaten or picked off because they probably worked their asses off all their lifes and retire collecting something the gov promised them that they contributed to by deductions from their pay?

Go ahead and call open season on old or older people, that played by the rules all their lifes.

Alcibiades
16th May 2015, 08:10 PM
The boomers would do the same were they in our shoes as evidenced by their acquiescence if not enthusiastic participation and profiting so spectacularly from the present system.

It is not unlike Elizabeth Bathory bathing in the blood of virgin (i.e. young) girls.

Kewl, so you would be good to have in general grandmas or grandpas, beaten or picked off because they probably worked their asses off all their lifes and retire collecting something the gov promised them that they contributed to by deductions from their pay?

Go ahead and call open season on old or older people, that played by the rules all their lifes.

Neuro
17th May 2015, 12:57 PM
I would say it was the parent generation of the boomers that got an unfair advantage as they got pensions without paying into them, however it took the load off the boomers, in that they never needed to support their elders (at least on paper, in practice the working generation always support children and elders by what they produce). Now it is the smaller unproductive generations after the boomers turn to support the boomers. Certainly the boomers payed into the pension funds that they now will get their pension from, but their produce went to feed their elders, the rest was just a digit illusion in an account. Greenspan said something along the lines, we can guarantee the payments of commitments, but not the value thereof...

If people of productive age, doesn't produce much of value, those who are older won't do very well. Sure there is a disconnect since USD is the world reserve currency, which has allowed US to import much more than it exports, IOW this status has allowed the U.S. and it's elders a far better standard of living than it deserves. The only question is how long the world thinks it is alright to pay welfare to US, for the privilege of holding $'s...

palani
17th May 2015, 02:09 PM
it was the parent generation of the boomers that got an unfair advantage

This generation did not expect their representatives to sell them down the river. If there is an unfair advantage perhaps it is the entity that declares unwritten economic war on an entire generation and has been reaping the benefits of winning the depression war ever since.

Neuro
17th May 2015, 03:57 PM
This generation did not expect their representatives to sell them down the river. If there is an unfair advantage perhaps it is the entity that declares unwritten economic war on an entire generation and has been reaping the benefits of winning the depression war ever since.
I'm not disputing the fact that this generation got a rough deal during the depression, of no fault of their own. Their children got a good deal though in that they were never expected to provide for their parents as they got old, instead government did. I'm just saying that the salary the boomers payed into their pension accounts actually went to their parents, and their children won't be able to provide for them, because the jobs was shipped to China.

Dogman
17th May 2015, 03:59 PM
Or Mexico ! :(

palani
17th May 2015, 04:03 PM
the salary the boomers payed into their pension accounts actually went to their parents, and their children won't be able to provide for them, because the jobs was shipped to China.

I can recall in the '60s a conversation overheard from my parents. They were reviewing which family members were collecting social security compared to how many were paying in. If memory serves the number paying in was around 4 -5x the number collecting.

As to children providing for parents ... this is a legal obligation that does not depend upon employment status.

Serpo
17th May 2015, 06:19 PM
Forget the blame game .....................there is plenty of stupid old people just like there is a lot of stupid young people

Dogman
17th May 2015, 06:22 PM
Forget the blame game .....................there is plenty of stupid old people just like there is a lot of stupid young people

Amen !

Alcibiades
17th May 2015, 07:49 PM
No, I am not forgetting it. Forgiveness is for the week; forgetting is for the stupid.

Dogman
17th May 2015, 07:51 PM
No, I am not forgetting it. Forgiveness is for the week; forgetting is for the stupid.

Spell check !

;)

Alcibiades
17th May 2015, 08:03 PM
Which word was misspelled?

Spell check !

;)

midnight rambler
17th May 2015, 08:05 PM
Which word was misspelled?

Really?

Dogman
17th May 2015, 08:07 PM
Hoot !

;)

Alcibiades
17th May 2015, 08:11 PM
You quoted a post of mine and followed it with "Spell check!". What else was I to think?

Really?

Dogman
17th May 2015, 08:13 PM
Rotflmfao !

:)

Glass
17th May 2015, 08:41 PM
The only real solutions are:

Accounting magic such as a debt jubilee or releasing of funds sequestered in the CAFR's
Kill all the humans

midnight rambler
17th May 2015, 08:46 PM
lulz

Glass
17th May 2015, 09:00 PM
well this weak is off to good start

Neuro
18th May 2015, 03:43 AM
well this weak is off to good start
For fucks sake you forgot an 'a'! Weekling!

osoab
18th May 2015, 03:52 AM
Forgiveness is for the week; forgetting is for the weakend.

fify

Glass
18th May 2015, 04:15 AM
For fucks sake you forgot an 'a'! Weekling!

I had to read that a few times. I thought you had misspelled an f word.