PDA

View Full Version : Hacker commandeered airliner via in-flight entertainment system

midnight rambler
16th May 2015, 03:24 PM
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/feds-say-banned-researcher-commandeered-plane/

Glass
18th May 2015, 09:03 PM
I thought this was an interesting story. I wondered if you could override the "un-overridable" "anti hijack" government hijacking system they used to fly the Malaysian plane to Diego Garcia. Seems plausible perhaps.

It was also interesting that the guy had schematics for multiple aircraft.

He also stated that he did not interface with that aircraft, on which he was arrested. That the panel near him was not tampered with but probably showed signs of wear and tear from people putting luggage etc under the seat.

Dogman
18th May 2015, 09:17 PM
If there is any interconnections of the entertainment system and primary flight/control systems that is a major dumb ass thing to do and major stupid to boot!

Everything other than aircraft control should be standalone and electronically isolated physically, anything less is asking for trouble!

Hear there may be landing systems that can be ground controlled by radio, think the navy played with such a system.
And if so something like that could be hacked by someone given the resources, they I can see getting away with it. Commercial aircraft again is asking for trouble, if it is thought of made by man it can be hacked by man.

Glass
18th May 2015, 09:46 PM
all boeings have full control remote systems that cannot be over ridden once activated. Been installed on the entire fleet since 2006 IIRC.

The engineers would have simply concluded no one would try it or think of it. I have to say I wondered if it could be done.

He is supposed to have jacked into an access point on the floor of the craft, not via the in seat entertainment system.

Dogman
18th May 2015, 09:49 PM
all boeings have full control remote systems that cannot be over ridden once activated. Been installed on the entire fleet since 2006 IIRC.

The engineers would have simply concluded no one would try it or think of it. I have to say I wondered if it could be done.

He is supposed to have jacked into an access point on the floor of the craft, not via the in seat entertainment system. In some ways I can understand the reasons behind something like that, but it is asking for trouble in the long run, unbreakable code/encription is very hard to do, but most can be broken given time.