PDA

View Full Version : Selling on ebay

Silver Rocket Bitches!
23rd May 2015, 02:13 PM
I've been flipping on ebay on and off the past few years and it's become more of a pain then it's worth. Between the outrageous fees to having my metal stolen, I'm about to give up. Recently I started selling these Valcambi gram bars on there and I get this message from a recent purchaser. It gave me a sensible chuckle. I'm done selling on ebay. Keep in mind this was a generic gram of bullion. Nothing numismatic at all. This drama queen acts like I threw a CC Morgan in a drain pan or something.

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7569&stc=1

midnight rambler
23rd May 2015, 04:04 PM
You RUINED his one gram generic bar of silver! It's now worth NOTHING!!! You cad!!!

Hitch
23rd May 2015, 04:38 PM
You RUINED his one gram generic bar of silver! It's now worth NOTHING!!! You cad!!!

Silver Rocket, I think the big issue is trying to sell 1 gram silver bars, perhaps? I think you might be attracting maniacs, is what I'm thinking.

No normal silver invester, is going to bother with 1 gram bars.

The buyers you may be dealing with are not normal folks, I guess that's what I'm saying.

Norweger
23rd May 2015, 04:50 PM
eBay scams are rampant these days. So many people outright scamming and others trying to fish for partial refund.. and when they don't get it they destroy the merchandise and return it on order to get a full refund.

Norweger
23rd May 2015, 04:51 PM
Silver Rocket, I think the big issue is trying to sell 1 gram silver bars, perhaps? I think you might be attracting maniacs, is what I'm thinking.

No normal silver invester, is going to bother with 1 gram bars.

The buyers you may be dealing with are not normal folks, I guess that's what I'm saying.

Yeah, the absolute bottom. I wonder what price range most scams are in.

EE_
23rd May 2015, 05:13 PM
You RUINED his one gram generic bar of silver (that was worth .65 cents)! It's now worth NOTHING!!! You cad!!!

lol........

Ares
23rd May 2015, 05:16 PM
The whole reason I do not sell on e-bay, and I haven't purchased anything on e-bay for almost 5 years now.

Too many scammers like you selling 1 gram bars of silver after dipping them in bacon grease and ruining everyone's day by not shipping them in ziplock bags.

How dare you?

If you couldn't tell, the above is sarcasm. :)

Twisted Titan
23rd May 2015, 07:58 PM
If you think its bad now.

Waint till these power sellers get that thousand plus dollar bill from the IRS because they havent been sending uncle sugar his cut as feebay will have your whole sale history on file.

Screw the bay

Shami-Amourae
23rd May 2015, 08:01 PM
If you think its bad now.

Waint till these power sellers get that thousand plus dollar bill from the IRS because they havent been sending uncle sugar his cut as feebay will have your whole sale history on file.

Screw the bay

That happened to my step-father. He runs a business off of E-bay and the IRS came after him hardcore.

Cebu_4_2
23rd May 2015, 09:10 PM
What needs to be said? Retard on Ebay. Play the game.... take pics before you pack and after it's packed. Seriously this is old school common knowledge. C'mon big guy.

midnight rambler
23rd May 2015, 09:13 PM
lol........that was worth .65 cents

Yeah, almost giving the poor fellow a heart attack over 65 cents worth of silver is just plain mean.

Sparky
23rd May 2015, 09:14 PM
Let's cut to the quick: Why did you tape directly onto the silver? It doesn't matter if it's only a gram, or that it's just bullion. I agree with the buyer that this was wrong. Maybe it won't matter during the Apocalypse, but when you buy new silver as your picture indicates, it should be shiny and clean. Professional silver dealers would never have done this. An unnecessary mistake.

midnight rambler
23rd May 2015, 09:21 PM
Let's cut to the quick: Why did you tape directly onto the silver? It doesn't matter if it's only a gram, or that it's just bullion. I agree with the buyer that this was wrong. Maybe it won't matter during the Apocalypse, but when you buy new silver as your picture indicates, it should be shiny and clean. Professional silver dealers would never have done this. An unnecessary mistake.

Do 'professional silver dealers' sell ONE GRAM generic bars of silver* on feebay?? ???

*which is essentially a novelty item

I once bought two of rolls of 90% quarters from a seller on feebay. A couple of days later I received an empty USPS Express Mail Flat-Rate Envelope from the seller. I was very puzzled until I realized that one of the edges was torn but hardly noticeable. The knucklehead seller had simply placed the two rolls of quarters in the Flat-Rate Envelope without ANY padding or further securing the envelope with tape and dropped it into the mail; the envelope was unable to contain the two rolls and they were lost in transit. Made a claim to feebay and got reimbursed.

Serpo
23rd May 2015, 09:25 PM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/4/0/7/3/1/webimg/649744904_tp.jpg

I thought it was a laugh , one gram silver

but now after thinking and seeing them , well they dont look so bad......

imagine bartering if it was necessary , the one gram would be appealing and its nearly like a small coin.

If they where worth 20 $ each then it would be great ...hehe

what are they worth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xc5YooFb4

midnight rambler
23rd May 2015, 09:33 PM
what are they worth?

At current spot price for Ag those one gram bars are worth all of 55 cents/melt. In contrast the melt value for a 90% dime is currently ~$1.24.

Hitch
24th May 2015, 08:17 AM

I agree it's an unnecessary mistake, but it's really not something to get over emotional about. Just take a soft cloth and some denatured alcohol, and in a few seconds, it's shiny and clean again. Any rational person should understand that if you buy something off of ebay, you are buying from normal people, not professionals. Normal people sometimes make small mistakes.

Cebu_4_2
24th May 2015, 10:16 AM
About half my feedback they mention how good my packaging is. When I was selling coins they would be stapled between a folded piece of cardboard, like the stuff on the back of a scratch pad. The only negatives I got were from scammers doing the switcheroo. Send them a new razor or something, they say it don't work and mail me their old dirty broken shit... Not much you can do there besides refund to avoid a negative.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
24th May 2015, 03:46 PM
I never thought twice about taping the bar to a small piece of paper to keep it from rustling around. It's just scotch tape. It doesn't leave a residue on the bar. The guy's reaction was OTT but if people are that potentially that concerned then I'll fold the paper over the bar and tape that. I wouldn't put tape on a $20 double eagle but bullion is just bullion.

Point is, having to deal with people like this, ebay scammers, post office scammers, potential IRS, mail delays (which have gotten terrible), ebay fees, paypal fees... it's not worth it anymore. It used to be a fun side hobby.

Glass
24th May 2015, 05:01 PM
I think because people setup ebay shops, buyers assume everyone selling is running a real store (a business) and so regular "consumer behaviour" is appropriate. Also, with all due respect, if I can get away with it. A larger number of Americans complain more readily than any other people I've encountered. But that person just sounded like a scammer looking to get it for nothing... or a DQ. Just need to have something to complain loudly about at work or something.

Maybe look up one of those sites on how to troll an ebay troll. Get some additional fun from your hobby on the side.

Hitch
24th May 2015, 05:33 PM
I never thought twice about taping the bar to a small piece of paper to keep it from rustling around. It's just scotch tape. It doesn't leave a residue on the bar. The guy's reaction was OTT but if people are that potentially that concerned then I'll fold the paper over the bar and tape that. I wouldn't put tape on a $20 double eagle but bullion is just bullion.

Point is, having to deal with people like this, ebay scammers, post office scammers, potential IRS, mail delays (which have gotten terrible), ebay fees, paypal fees... it's not worth it anymore. It used to be a fun side hobby.

I think the big thing to learn here, is who are your customers? To most of us, a 1 gram silver bar is nothing, not even worth thinking about buying.

So, who buys a 1 gram silver bar? Someone who knows perhaps the truth, but just doesn't have the money to prepare properly. So, to them, that 1 gram bar is very important. Maybe to them, that bar is more symbolic than anything, and to tape it like that just killed all their hopes and dreams.

Dogman
24th May 2015, 05:43 PM
I think the big thing to learn here, is who are your customers? To most of us, a 1 gram silver bar is nothing, not even worth thinking about buying.

So, who buys a 1 gram silver bar? Someone who knows perhaps the truth, but just doesn't have the money to prepare properly. So, to them, that 1 gram bar is very important. Maybe to them, that bar is more symbolic than anything, and to tape it like that just killed all their hopes and dreams.

There are collector's out there that something like this they take seriously!

Stamp collector's come to mind, all serious ones are Nitpicker's abt the quality and condition of their collection's!

midnight rambler
24th May 2015, 06:01 PM
Someone who knows perhaps the truth, but just doesn't have the money to prepare properly.

Seriously?? Anyone 'in the know' regarding PMs isn't going to be paying 200+% premium, they're going to be saving up their FRNs for the bargains with <25% premium* which can be found on feebay.

*8-9 years ago I was buying original bank rolls of BU 90% at or below spot on feebay including shipping, now the premiums are sky high on the OBW rolls of BU 90% US coins

Hitch
24th May 2015, 06:03 PM
Seriously?? Anyone 'in the know' regarding PMs isn't going to be paying 200+% premium, they're going saving up their FRNs for the bargains of <25% premium* which can be found on feebay.

*8-9 years ago I was buying original bank rolls of BU 90% at or below spot on feebay including shipping, now the premiums are sky high on the OBW rolls of BU 90%

So, the question is left unanswered, who buys a 1 gram silver bar then?

Dogman, stamp collectors I don't think care about 1 gram silver bars.

midnight rambler
24th May 2015, 06:04 PM
So, the question is left unanswered, who buys a 1 gram silver bar then?

Someone with OCD or some other personality/mental issue?

Dogman
24th May 2015, 06:05 PM
Fleece bay went to hell and I quit using them when they went to exclusive PayPal how ever long ago!

Haven't messed with them since!

Hitch
24th May 2015, 06:07 PM
Why even pay the shipping on a bar worth 50 cents?

Dogman
24th May 2015, 06:09 PM
Why even pay the shipping on a bar worth 50 cents?

Collector mania!

Will move mountains!

Sparky
24th May 2015, 08:44 PM

That's the ticket! Fold the paper over the bar. But you're right, that eBay has been going downhill for years. It used to be a lot more enjoyable.

osoab
24th May 2015, 08:48 PM
or some other personality/mental issue?

Does stupidity count?

Alcibiades
24th May 2015, 10:32 PM
I do not advise selling on eBay and echo the concerns others have posted concerning scams. This is not limited to eBay; payment via PayPal or a third party processor leaves one open to fraudulent claims.

I buy metals with the presumption that I will not be able to liquidate them in the near term. Therefore, I buy metals that please me, and not overpriced Valcambi bars.

mick silver
26th May 2015, 08:00 AM
what e bay . I did sale on ebay but theres to many people on there looking for free stuff and there really nothing the seller can do any more

ximmy
26th May 2015, 12:09 PM
I must chime in here.... Asshole!

Glass
26th May 2015, 04:47 PM
I bought a couple items off ebay long time ago. Don't think any PM's. I will shop on ebay but not buy. If the seller has another web site I will go there and purchase. Seems to have worked ok. Mostly electronics. For the most ebay stuff is junk and I can get a lot of it at the $2 type shops. They both remind me of the alley markets in asia

I heard paypal got caught tricking people into credit accounts by using a pay later button, which starts a credit card type contract where they start charging you interest on your purchase. No disclosure or something.

I didn't like the change to ebay that stopped buyer and seller feedback. I think once they took feedback on buyers it became too risky.

Cebu_4_2
26th May 2015, 04:53 PM
I didn't like the change to ebay that stopped buyer and seller feedback. I think once they took feedback on buyers it became too risky.

It will change again, I got a notice that ebay and paypal will again be separate entities. But be sure the owners are one and the same. This total mayhem of buyers scamming sellers will hit the fan and things should stabilize.

Hitch
26th May 2015, 05:05 PM

When did this change? I just checked and within the last couple of months, I (as a buyer) received feedback from sellers.

I've only had a positive experience on ebay. I am only a buyer though, every singe time I make a purchase it's shipped almost immediately, and I've always gotten what I ordered from sellers.

As soon as an auction is up, I pay asap. I have 100% positive feedback, as a buyer.

Glass
26th May 2015, 06:11 PM
When did this change? I just checked and within the last couple of months, I (as a buyer) received feedback from sellers.

I've only had a positive experience on ebay. I am only a buyer though, every singe time I make a purchase it's shipped almost immediately, and I've always gotten what I ordered from sellers.

As soon as an auction is up, I pay asap. I have 100% positive feedback, as a buyer.

ok well I thought it had been like that for maybe 4 or 5 years now. OR maybe it was you couldn't leave negative feedback that I am thinking of.

I've also received everything I ordered, although I have ordered some crap and won't hold that against any seller.

I think of all those small market traders who are tucked away in the back street maze of big city asia who can sell trinkets and other low cost stuff to the world through ebay. Must be a boon for them. Assuming they don't get $crewed. One thing I've noticed about asian traders is that the packaging is always top notch and virtually impenetrable.... even for me.

palani
26th May 2015, 06:17 PM
ok well I thought it had been like that for maybe 4 or 5 years now.

Beats the early days of Ebay ... back in the late '90s. Buy something, wait a week for invoice with shipping, send a check, wait for the check to be delivered and then clear, then wait a week while shipping happens. Lots of times you could forget you ordered something in the weeks it took to get it delivered.

Cebu_4_2
26th May 2015, 06:18 PM
ok well I thought it had been like that for maybe 4 or 5 years now. OR maybe it was you couldn't leave negative feedback that I am thinking of.

I've also received everything I ordered, although I have ordered some crap and won't hold that against any seller.

I think of all those small market traders who are tucked away in the back street maze of big city asia who can sell trinkets and other low cost stuff to the world through ebay. Must be a boon for them. Assuming they don't get $crewed. One thing I've noticed about asian traders is that the packaging is always top notch and virtually impenetrable.... even for me.

One note on asain sellers, they sell and ship... the shipping is subsidized by the USi which makes them able to sell stuff very cheap. If you reverse that it costs many dollars to send the other way. This is how the trade agreement works. If in asia (excelt plilippines) you can mail your stuff for penneys but in the phil it is full price plus!

Glass
26th May 2015, 06:19 PM
credit card systems become self funding once you get the volume up. Then it's just a case of applying debits and credits. As a bank or system operator you don't have to put any funds into it at all when it gets to that point. You just skim the 15 - 30% profit off the top.

milehi
26th May 2015, 07:00 PM
I sell a lot on ebay. I've had a couple people stiff me on payment. As a seller I can't leave negative feedback so I'll leave positive feedback but I'll describe the buyer as a non paying dishonorable DB.