PDA

View Full Version : Australian surfing legend Mick Fanning fights off shark during competition

EE_
19th July 2015, 09:46 AM
Woah!

'I was waiting for the teeth to come': The jaw-dropping moment world champion surfer is attacked by a shark during a competition - only for him to survive after he PUNCHED it in the back
By LIAM QUINN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA and LYDIA WILLGRESS FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 08:52 EST, 19 July 2015 | UPDATED: 11:21 EST, 19 July 2015

This is the amazing moment a world champion surfer stopped a shark from attacking him by punching the beast in the back.
Surfing legend Mick Fanning fought off the animal during the final round of the J-Bay Open in South Africa.
The 34-year-old described the moment he realised the shark was behind him as terrifying, saying: 'I was waiting for the teeth to come at me.'
Scroll down for video
Amazing footage of Australian surfing legend Mick Fanning fighting off a shark has been captured on camera

See the video and photos: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3167193/Amazing-footage-shows-moment-world-champion-surfer-fought-SHARK-attacked-competition.html#ixzz3gMADUQvI

madfranks
19th July 2015, 03:07 PM
You can barely see the shark fin right in the first few seconds. After that it's hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49wWWasy1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49wWWasy1U

milehi
19th July 2015, 03:19 PM
Surfing Jefferys Bay is on my bucket list. A lot of South Africa's beaches have shark nets but a big problem is shark tours chumming the waters which has led to a huge increase in attacks on humans.

gunDriller
19th July 2015, 03:41 PM
Surfing Jefferys Bay is on my bucket list. A lot of South Africa's beaches have shark nets but a big problem is shark tours chumming the waters which has led to a huge increase in attacks on humans.

i think about paddling out to Maverick's when i'm 70. and that's sharky ! :)

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/fanning-and-wilson-share-points-after-one-of-the-most-radical-happenings-in-professional-surfing-history-shock_129593/

on the 3rd slide in this article, they have sort of like an animated GIF.

i thought the second fin was the shark putting its tail in the air.

what do you guys think of the second fin ?

i was in the kitchen when it happened. i had been watching the quarters & semi's, then there's a break for the final.

i got back in to see the webcast on the computer, Mick was paddling towards the ski and getting on the ski.

i'm sure i'm not the only one who was thinking, SHOW THE REPLAY !!!

normally they show 2 or 3 or 4 replays for the good waves.

they should at least give Mick a 10 for that wave.

they waited about 3 hours before they showed us the part with the fins :)

milehi
19th July 2015, 04:03 PM
I've had friends who were bumped while we were surfing Pacific City, Or. Then there was that day that guy got chomped at Fletcher Cove in North San Diego County. I was just up the beach at Pipes that day. I still cant go in the water at FC.

gunDriller
20th July 2015, 01:41 PM
http://www.surfline.com/video/contests/catching-up-w-fanning-wilson-slater-post-shark-attack_129597

video of Fanning Wilson and Slater, as Fanning comes back to the
pro area and residence after the contest is called off.

Hitch
20th July 2015, 01:58 PM
milehi, you are probably familiar with my local spot. We had lunch together there at the local restaurant.

I was on the fence one day on whether or not to paddle out. Nobody was out there, but the surf looked OK. While studying the waves, I saw a shark right where the break was. I didn't paddle out, couldn't work up the courage after that, since nobody else was out there. I did surf the next day, however. Sharks are out there, it is what it is.

milehi
20th July 2015, 03:19 PM
milehi, you are probably familiar with my local spot. We had lunch together there at the local restaurant.

I was on the fence one day on whether or not to paddle out. Nobody was out there, but the surf looked OK. While studying the waves, I saw a shark right where the break was. I didn't paddle out, couldn't work up the courage after that, since nobody else was out there. I did surf the next day, however. Sharks are out there, it is what it is.

What Surfline says about sharks and your spot.

Shark Danger:
Mmh-hmm. More than you really want to know. There have been several attacks along this stretch of beach, the most recent in 2008. (1=none; 10=bring an iron cage)

That was one of the best beach breaks I've ever seen.

Hitch
20th July 2015, 04:08 PM

Shark Danger:
Mmh-hmm. More than you really want to know. There have been several attacks along this stretch of beach, the most recent in 2008. (1=none; 10=bring an iron cage)

When the swell and tide is right, I've seen it look like the pipeline. 10 feet plus. If it gets double overhead folks get towed in. Unfortunately, it's too big for me to paddle out when it's really hot. I suck. I wipe out constantly, but am getting a little better. Usually I will only paddle out if it's less than overhead. Taking a beating doesn't seem to help me learn.

gunDriller
21st July 2015, 04:09 AM

Shark Danger:

2008 = Fletcher Cove ?